Notable Quotations

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
zuoqian
Indagator
Indagator

Re: Notable Quotations

Post by zuoqian » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:15 pm

Just look at us.
Everything is backwards, everything is upside down.
Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom; the major media destroy information and
religions destroy spirituality.

- Michael Ellner

(Found it from here.)

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

LaVey on Truth

Post by LoneBear » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:22 pm

I was digging through my notebook, looking for something and found this comment from Anton LaVey... very appropriate!
Anton LaVey wrote:"The Truth won't set you free -- doubt will."
Truer words were never spoken... or maybe they were? :D
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

deepfsh
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by deepfsh » Sat May 02, 2015 2:41 pm

Miles Mathis wrote:My family has always had initiative and a pretty good sense of humor to go with it. I remember when I was a kid, I went to Baskin-Robbins with my uncle. They had a big sign over the counter that said banana split: 99 cents. Thing is, my uncle had been in several times that week, and they were always out of bananas. But we strolled up to the counter and he ordered a banana split anyway. As expected, the young woman said, Sorry, sir, we're out of bananas today. So my uncle pulled a banana out of his pocket, laid it on the counter, and said, There you go, sweetie, let er rip! And don't forget to give me a discount for bringing my own banana.
"You talk the talk ... do you walk the walk?" Kubrick, Full Metal Jacket

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:44 pm

Some interesting advice for older folks like myself...
BE the person YOU needed, when you were younger.

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Djchrismac » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:41 pm

“One person with a belief is equal to ninety-nine who have only interests” - John Stuart Mill
Jones: [looks at Sallah] You said their headpiece only had markings on one side, are you absolutely sure? [Sallah nods] Belloq's staff is too long.
Jones and Sallah: They're digging in the wrong place!

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Djchrismac » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:52 pm

“The problem with people who say monsters don't really exist is that they're almost never saying it to the monsters."
-- Seanan McGuire, Discount Armageddon
“It is a condition of monsters that they do not perceive themselves as such. The dragon, you know, hunkered in the village devouring maidens, heard the townsfolk cry ‘Monster!’ and looked behind him.”
-Laini Taylor
"Horror is the natural reaction to the last 5,000 years of history."
--Robert Anton Wilson
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.”
--Jim Butcher, Storm Front
http://esoterx.com/
Jones: [looks at Sallah] You said their headpiece only had markings on one side, are you absolutely sure? [Sallah nods] Belloq's staff is too long.

animus
Centurio
Centurio

Post by animus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:16 pm

deepfsh wrote:I like when seekers find what they're looking for naturally (by synchronicity, lead by curiosity = free will, without any pressure). I don't like any kind of "propaganda / recruiting". Besides, we're still seekers ourselves.
This reminded me of a quote from Max Frisch. Have to translate it:
"When you think to have recognized something as truth, hold it out to the other one like a coat, in which he can slip in, but do not beat him round the head with it like a wet towel."

animus
Centurio
Centurio

Post by animus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:39 am

Here's one from the World Health Organization website on the new packaging for cigarettes. (Picture if you haven't seen them yet.)
Since the 1950s, many research studies have demonstrated that “fear appeals” are effective in motivating health behaviour change (e.g. quitting), especially if paired with information about how to avoid the fearful consequences (e.g. where to find help about quitting).
Now scratch the word "health" in the quote and you got the perfect formula our world is running by. I especially like how "quitting" gets a totally different meaning.

kano
Discens
Discens

Post by kano » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:17 pm

"Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal." - Immortal Technique

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Mark Twain: Arguing with Stupid People

Post by LoneBear » Sat May 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Mark Twain wrote:Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sun May 13, 2018 8:18 am

William Casey, CIA Director wrote: We'll know when our disinformation program is complete when everything the American believes is false.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:36 am

Some quotes I found when cleaning out some old papers...
Bertrand Russell wrote:There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.
NINHURSAG wrote:Not all can be men; some can only be animals, or worse, vegetables.
I haven't seen this much love in a room, since Narcissus discovered himself!
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.
Edwin Armstrong wrote:Men substitute words for reality and then argue about the words..

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:19 am

I have a good one that fits for this month to me.
Diagnosing depression.jpg
Enjoy the Silence

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:26 am

This too.
Job.jpg
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Mike Tyson... Everybody has a plan...

Post by LoneBear » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:18 am

I ran across an interesting quote on a TEDtalk regarding computer security and hacking, made by professional boxer Mike Tyson:
'Iron' Mike Tyson wrote:Everybody has a plan... until they get punched in the face.
Then, the reality of the situation becomes apparent and all the fluff falls away.
I find this true for many of life's endeavors.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Charles Dickens wrote:It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
--A Tale of Two Cities, 1859
Still seems very applicable these days.

Andrew
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Andrew » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:30 pm

LoneBear wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:07 pm
Charles Dickens wrote:It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
--A Tale of Two Cities, 1859
Still seems very applicable these days.
Very. I think daniel would appreciate what's being described/foretold in this quote. A little while ago in a different post I had mentioned I liked how daniel hated the NWO and that was why he wrote his papers. This was a fragmented projection of what I thought was a source of fuel to write his papers -- hate. daniel actually writes from a place of Unity. But actually living here in the End of Times, the Kali Yuga, is uncharted territory socially and psychologically. I mean, how many millions and billions of people have been told about the End of Days and yet here we are with front-row tickets?! Pretty crazy if you think about it.

All in all, humanity has basically only lived and learned in terms of polarity. So we really are living "in the superlative degree of comparison only" right now. The apex of that way of living/being/thinking.
"Classical historians traditionally dismiss tales of magic as unworthy of scholarly attention, but to us any mention of a witch's broomstick or wizard's wand evokes the smell of a scientist's laboratory." The Sphinx and the Megaliths

daniel
Centurio
Centurio

Post by daniel » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:02 pm

Andrew wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:30 pm
A little while ago in a different post I had mentioned I liked how daniel hated the NWO and that was why he wrote his papers. This was a fragmented projection of what I thought was a source of fuel to write his papers -- hate. daniel actually writes from a place of Unity.
The NWO throws things out of balance, I write my papers in an attempt to restore that balance. I don't hate the NWO... when you study history, leaders always arise to express the desire of the collective unconscious. The NWO is what humanity wants. They WANT to be told what to do (and not to do), they want to be led around by the nose, have vaccine needles stuck in them and get drugged-up so they cannot think for themselves. However, this "want" will eventually lead to an ELE, an extinction level event, for humanity, as compensation for the damage they cause to Nature. So, rather than trying to ascend (as human bioenergy has become too dark), you should try to reincarnate into another species that isn't scheduled for extinction--and try again.
Don't ever trust the people that claim the right to rule you. --Larken Rose
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/daniel.phoenixiii

Lozion
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Lozion » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:28 pm

as human bioenergy has become too dark
Can you expand on this? Sounds like you believe humanity has "crossed the Rubicon" to quote you, a ming-boggling proposition if accurate..
In rapport we thrive, in rivalry we strive.

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Djchrismac » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:25 pm

"Gadgets, entertainment, sex and even some harmless dissent and radical culture are all means the State can employ to keep a real rebellion from ever getting started." - Charles Reich, "The Greening of America"

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

The Crowd

Post by LoneBear » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:17 pm

From Le Bon's book, The Crowd (1896):
Gustave Le Bon wrote:Civilisations as yet have only been created and directed by a small intellectual aristocracy, never by crowds. Crowds are only powerful for destruction. Their rule is always tantamount to a barbarian phase. A civilisation involves fixed rules, discipline, a passing from the instinctive to the rational state, forethought for the future, an elevated degree of culture — all of them conditions that crowds, left to themselves, have invariably shown themselves incapable of realising. In consequence of the purely destructive nature of their power crowds act like those microbes which hasten the dissolution of enfeebled or dead bodies. When the structure of a civilisation is rotten, it is always the masses that bring about its downfall.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Tesla: the Secret of Invention

Post by LoneBear » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:52 pm

"I do not think you can name many great inventions that have been made by married men. Be alone, that is the secret of invention. Be alone, that is when ideas are born."

- Nikola Tesla (1856-1943)
Of course, in those days everyone was married. Not the case now. It would have to be generalized to "girlfriend" or "that drunk I went out with."
"I don't have time for a wife and an airplane".

- Wilbur Wright (1867 – 1912)

Andrew
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: Tesla: the Secret of Invention

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:36 pm

LoneBear wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:52 pm
"I do not think you can name many great inventions that have been made by married men. Be alone, that is the secret of invention. Be alone, that is when ideas are born."

- Nikola Tesla (1856-1943)
Of course, in those days everyone was married. Not the case now. It would have to be generalized to "girlfriend" or "that drunk I went out with."
"I don't have time for a wife and an airplane".

- Wilbur Wright (1867 – 1912)
George Lucas invented the Star Wars universe and captured the imaginations of our generation with droids, aliens, the Force.. it was an unforgettable space opera. He was always pushing the boundaries with what he could film and how he could pull it off visually with such a small budget (specifically A New Hope.) I figured he had to have some Aquarian energy in him. Sure enough, he does have "inventor" energy in him. Taurean Sun/Aquarian Moon.

I came across a post a few days ago about why the writing was worse in the Star Wars prequels than in the Original trilogy. It was because George Lucas's wife had helped him edit the scripts in the OT, because she "had a skill for carving out strong characters." They divorced after RotJ was released, and while some of the prequels are my favorites, the characters and dialogue are noticeably more 2-dimensional. Compare.
Attack of the Clones wrote:Padme: We used to come here for school retreat. We would swim to that island every day. I love the water. We used to lie out on the sand and let the sun dry us and try to guess the names of the birds singing.

Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.
Empire wrote:[Leia struggles with a part on the Falcon. Han moves in to help, but is pushed away.]
Han Solo: Hey, Your Worship, I'm only trying to help.
Princess Leia Organa: Would you please stop calling me that?
Han Solo: Sure, Leia.
Princess Leia Organa: You make it so difficult sometimes.
Han Solo: I do, I really do. You could be a little nicer, though. Come on, admit it. Sometimes you think I'm alright.
Princess Leia Organa: Occasionally, maybe... when you aren't acting like a scoundrel.
Han Solo: Scoundrel? Scoundrel? I like the sound of that. [Grabs and rubs Leia's hand]
Princess Leia Organa: Stop that.
Han Solo: Stop what?
Princess Leia Organa: [timidly] Stop that! My hands are dirty.
Han Solo: My hands are dirty too. What are you afraid of?
Princess Leia Organa: Afraid?
Han Solo: You're trembling.
Princess Leia Organa: I'm not trembling.
Han Solo: [moving closer to Leia] You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
Princess Leia Organa: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: [moving closer still] I'm a nice man.
Princess Leia Organa: No you're not. You're—
[Han begins to kiss Leia]
C-3PO: [interrupting] Sir! Sir! I've isolated the reverse power flux coupling!
Han Solo: [annoyed] Thank you! Thank you very much!
C-3PO: Oh, you're perfectly welcome, sir.
[Leia walks away.]
"Classical historians traditionally dismiss tales of magic as unworthy of scholarly attention, but to us any mention of a witch's broomstick or wizard's wand evokes the smell of a scientist's laboratory." The Sphinx and the Megaliths

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:08 pm

Andrew wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:36 pm
I came across a post a few days ago about why the writing was worse in the Star Wars prequels than in the Original trilogy. It was because George Lucas's wife had helped him edit the scripts in the OT, because she "had a skill for carving out strong characters." They divorced after RotJ was released, and while some of the prequels are my favorites, the characters and dialogue are noticeably more 2-dimensional.
I recently re-watched the episodes of 1-3 and you are spot on. The original trilogy was the best. I think that Lucas sold the rights for Star Wars, because of that very reason, maybe he even loaths the episodes 1-3 and 7-x etc. what Disney is going to do with it. In my opinion they have made bad movies, most recent "Solo" movie the actor who plays Han Solo most likely fakes his smile or has had to learn how to smirk like Harrison Ford in the original movies as Han Solo. I am not convinced of that. Although it was somewhat better than episodes 7 and 8. 8 was definitely better than 7, because 7 was so much of a copy of episode 4 and bad one at that with the ridiculous weapon that sucked the power of a star and blasted multiple planets with it. Just totally messed up weapon that makes no sense to me at all even in scifi sense, not seen even in Stargate that kind of weapons, only one that comes to mind is stargate being released into a star that makes it to go supernova when the gate is connected to a blackhole. That was some ridiculous scifi stuff, but not that over shot like in Star Wars IMO. Oh and dont get me started on the actor who plays Kylo Ren. That one is another story, but they made him like a little angry kid much like Anakin in Episodes 2-3, that I also loathed very much, so stupid.

I think it is the actors that didn't convince me of their seriousness of their roles, Anakin saying that he hates sand people in one scene when he just killed bunch of them because his mother died in his arms in their camp. I think it was over acted or something there in the facial expressions that didn't just "click" with me, if you know what I mean. Same with Kylo Ren, and his angry rant which was over acted I think. If he were to show more restraint then it would've been better.
Enjoy the Silence

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Djchrismac » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:17 am

“Niemand ist mehr Sklave, als der sich für frei hält, ohne es zu sein.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Elective Affinities