Spontaneous Psychic Ability

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Spontaneous Psychic Ability

Post by LoneBear » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:47 pm

I am reading a book on Etherology by J. Stanley Grimes (written in 1850), and he brings up a rather interesting point regarding clairvoyance...
Grimes wrote:The case of Jane C. Rider, of Springfield, in Massachusetts, occurred while I was a temporary resident in that place. She spontaneously manifested all the powers of clairvoyance, in a community where no such thing had ever been witnessed before, and where mesmerism was unknown. There are many other similar cases, which established the fact that no human operator is necessary, but that the subject contains withing himself ALL the essential elements required to produce the result. Those, therefore, who attribute so much potency to the will of the operator, or to sympathy with him, are obviously mistaken, since the same effects may be produced without any human operator.
The term "mesmerism," in those days, referred to general psychic ability, not just hypnosis as it does today.

I find this particularly interesting because of all the current practices that use "will" in an attempt to bottle-up Qi/chi/prana to use to manifest psychic ability. This comment made me reevaluate some of the preconceived notions I had about psychic ability--it appears that it is an inherent part of the "mechanism" of the mind/body/spirit complex, that everyone shares equally, just like a heart or lungs. It is not a process of building up qi to obtain the ability, but to remove the blocks that are inhibiting its use.

The mind is a powerful thing, with a preference of inhibiting ability rather than promoting it. I had some first hand experience with this when I was in physical therapy after my abdomen surgery. Being heavy, push-ups were a bit out of the question. My trainer had me do them, but pivoting on my knees, rather than my toes. This, I could do. Couple months in, he wanted me to try to do regular pushups--it didn't believe I could, so I went to do them on my knee, as usual, which I KNEW I could do. But, somewhere along the line the signals between body and mind got crossed, and my body went up on my toes to do the pushups--the whole time I BELIEVED I was on my knee instead. After I got to about 10, my trainer was cheering me on--which didn't make any sense, as he knew I could do that on my knee--and I took a look under me, to see me all the way up on my toes. Of course, with that realization I crashed and burned in about 2 more, but I'll never forget the impact of that realization--I was doing something that I BELIEVED I could not do, but was more than ABLE to do. I learned more about the power of the mind in that instance, than I did from a half-century of life.

I am now viewing psychic skills in a similar fashion. Just like working out, the skills need training but the first obstacle to overcome is the inhibition defined by the mind. The question that arises, and what led me to make this post, is WHY? Why are these inhibitions in place? Why are they "shut off" in so many people?

It could be psychological, but in this day and age, metaphysics isn't repressed like it was in my day. It is not biological, as Grimes indicates. Anyone, under the right circumstances, can manifest psychic skills, even spontaneously. My only thought on the matter is that it may be related to the potential energy barrier--there has to be enough "power" to get it to work. When people do have spontaneous manifestation of psychic skill, it is usually the result of a trauma--head injury, disease in the brain, etc., which may just shunt power from another faculty into the psychic center, as the ability goes away after one is "healed."

Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

On Consciousness

Post by LoneBear » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:46 pm

J. Stanley Grimes has some rather interesting concepts...

On page 114 of Etherology, he writes, "Consciousness became necessary, to enable the animal to act with reference to external objects, which are not in contact with his organs."

I've read a lot of papers on the evolution of consciousness, and this is one of the more interesting "takes" on it. Thinking about it, it makes sense. If you look at microorganisms, one of the first things they do is grow hair-like protrusions on the exterior to sense further from themselves. Next thing that develops is a sensitivity to electric and magnetic fields--going nonlocal to sense things further than the physical senses could reach. In his concept of "Etherium" (a biological ether, later called Orgone by Wilhelm Reich and now under the more generic term of bioenergy) it would make sense that an organism would develop the ability to sense other organisms through this mechanism, under voluntary control of consciousness. That infers that the bioenergy must be already present (anima or soul), and consciousness evolves as a control of that energy--making it "intelligent energy", as Ra put it.

Much of the discussion leading up to this point concerned voluntary and involuntary actions and their correlation to the sleep cycle. He postulates that the reason we sleep is that we exhaust our biological energy to the point where it becomes an either-or proposition: either the voluntary or involuntary organs get the energy. Involuntary (like beating the heart) appears to always win that battle, and the voluntary system shuts down. We go to sleep, enter sleep paralysis (unable to exert voluntary actions), until we recharge.

I've been poking around with that concept during meditation. As an experiment last evening, after I became really tired, I put myself into a meditation to pull my consciousness slightly out of phase with the body (that's the way I meditate--probably not the way most people do, as I was never taught proper technique). And I watched my body fall to sleep. And DANG if the point of consciousness didn't just up and leave the body, removing all voluntary movement, at the transition to sleep. That was the first time I've seen that. Normally I'm not looking out the "window" of consciousness to see where it is, when I go to sleep--I just go along for the ride. It was like slipping through a door between "reality" and the dreamscape. When the transition occurs, the conscious functioning goes into the dreaming, not the physical body. Sort of like unplugging a control box from one machine and putting it in another. Really changed my view on consciousness.

And this comment I just read about consciousness being a natural consequence of biological evolution really hit me... life, itself, is the birth of the soul, so consciousness becomes the birth of the spirit--the ability to access both halves, body and soul, simultaneously.

If you don't mind 19th century English, it's a really thought-provoking book.

Andrew
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: Spontaneous Psychic Ability

Post by Andrew » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:18 pm

I am now viewing psychic skills in a similar fashion. Just like working out, the skills need training but the first obstacle to overcome is the inhibition defined by the mind. The question that arises, and what led me to make this post, is WHY? Why are these inhibitions in place? Why are they "shut off" in so many people?
I am interested in how your views have changed over the past 5 years. A book called Thought Vibration views willpower similarly. That one doesn't build it up, but rather taps into it when one's desire supercedes the limiting belief system or mental program. The example being the mom that lifts up a car that's pinning her child down.

Perhaps the inhibitions are there for survival? Maybe self-consciousness is like a circuit breaker of sorts, so the power necessary to do a psychic ability trips the mind, resulting in the feeling of doubt, before anything can ever manifest. Once belief-in-one's-self grows in breaker size it can control the ability, use it at will, and grow in skill past the minimum power requirement.

This leads me to believe that until children can see Tier Two magick with their own eyes in early development, practicing Tier One "on your knees" magick is fundamentally necessary to grow in spirit enough to handle that kind of power necessary to do Tier Two "on your toes" magick. Exposure to Tier Two Magick at an early age prevents any limiting belief systems contrary to an amagical world from developing.
And this comment I just read about consciousness being a natural consequence of biological evolution really hit me... life, itself, is the birth of the soul, so consciousness becomes the birth of the spirit--the ability to access both halves, body and soul, simultaneously.
I'm trying to understand the matter-antimatter interaction here. The physical birth process begins when an egg accepts(?) a sperm. The cells begin reciprocally multiplying in the form of sacred geometry. Is this material, chemical process growing the aether of the soul, the 3D time aspect? I always had a hard time visualizing how material and aetherial units aggregate to form a life unit.

If that is the case are we old souls just genuine or lucky enough to have survived death and reincarnated up to this point on the first go-around? If a new soul is grown, would a palm reader see past-life lines on their hands?

It must at least not be so difficult to acheive enough "reincarnation points", otherwise not many souls would have survived past the middle ages or in other times when lifetime expectancy was low.
"Classical historians traditionally dismiss tales of magic as unworthy of scholarly attention, but to us any mention of a witch's broomstick or wizard's wand evokes the smell of a scientist's laboratory." The Sphinx and the Megaliths

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:49 pm

Andrew wrote:I'm trying to understand the matter-antimatter interaction here. The physical birth process begins when an egg accepts(?) a sperm. The cells begin reciprocally multiplying in the form of sacred geometry. Is this material, chemical process growing the aether of the soul, the 3D time aspect? I always had a hard time visualizing how material and aetherial units aggregate to form a life unit.
Gopi shared a nice explanation with Billy, Spaceman, and myself last night in regards to the nature of seeds and the potential stored within them that essentially, looking 'into' the seed to find the form and energy for what will at some point become the plant that the seed is destined to become, will leave you wanting because the information that constitutes the stuff that will emerge from within the seed actually exists externally to it and the determining factors are those far out ones that go into the growth of a plant i.e. lunar cycles, seasons, orientations to planets and stars, etc. - a very interesting reciprocal relationship. It's also interesting considering the same situation as it applies to the seed of personality that is imprinted at the moment of a person's birth due to astrological orientation.
It must at least not be so difficult to achieve enough "reincarnation points", otherwise not many souls would have survived past the middle ages or in other times when lifetime expectancy was low.
Considering the information in the Homo Sapiens Ethics paper, and thinking about the state of the world at that time and how humans related to it, I think it's possible that the proper types and amounts of energy could have been acquired within the constraints of a shorter life cycle. I just started one of Rudolf Steiner's books that Gopi lent me, Polarities in the Evolution of Mankind that seems to address the issue.
Rudolf Steiner; Stuttgart, 5 March 1920 wrote:As you know, a new era in human evolution started during the 15th century, very different from anything that went before. Thinking of this you will want to be aware of the many ways in which life is different in the present age, which had its beginning in the 15th century, if we compare it to the preceding age. We may say that one particular feature of the present age is that intellectual thinking has developed since the middle of the 15th century. Humankind has to undergo a major process of education in the course of Earth evolution. Part of it is this training of the intellect. Human beings had to find out, as it were, how human life can be lived when the emphasis is on intellectual thinking. They could never have been raised to be truly free individuals if the intellectual principle had not become part of them. We have no clear idea today of the extent to which people differed from us before the middle of the 15th century, particularly in this respect. We tend to take the things we are given for granted, without giving them much thought. We are now generally dealing with the peoples of civilized countries who are inclined to think with the intellect, and we have come to believe that people have always been thinking like this. That is not the case, however, Before the middle of the 15th century people were thinking in a different way. They simply did not think in the abstract terms in which we think today. Their thinking was very much more vivid and concrete, immediately bound up with the objects of the world around them. They were much more bound up with the feelings and will impulses that can be experienced in the human soul. We are living very much in our thoughts, though we are not sufficiently aware of this. We are not even aware of the source from which this way of thinking, the intellectual approach which we take so much for granted, has evolved. We shall have to go a long way back in human evolution to get a real understanding of the origins of this way of thinking, this intellectualism. Another question we must ask ourselves is whether anything still remains of the human activity out of which our thinking evolved.

You know that older evolutionary forces persist into later ages and continue to be present side by side with those that are normal to the age in question. This also applies to our thinking. Reminders, echoes of thinking, of an activity similar to our thinking are experienced in our dreams, when a whole world of images emerges from our night time sleep. Experience teaches us to distinguish between the world of thoughts we evolve between waking up and going to sleep and the world of dream images which we experience in an entirely passive way. If we go back to earlier times in human evolution we find that the further back we go the more does the life of the soul during waking hours come to resemble the mental activity we known in our dreams today. Present-day thinking is the fruit of later stages of evolution. During earlier stages along this path the human soul developed activities more akin to dreaming. If we follow this dreamlike activity of the human soul a long way back we find ourselves going beyond Earth evolution as we know it. We come to a time when the earth had taken a physical form in the cosmos that preceded the present one. We have got used to calling it the Old Moon evolution. Human beings were part of this as well, but in an entirely different form. During that Moon evolution, i.e. the time when the earth materialized in a form that preceded the present one, the human being, the true ancestor of modern man, was still completely etheric. His soul became active in a way that was definitely dreamlike, consisting of dream images. The peculiar thing about this was that it related to the outer world in a way that is quite different from the soul activity we know as thinking. I would say that when our soul is active in thought we find ourselves rather isolated within the world. The world is outside us, it has its own processes. We reflect on those processes in our minds, but just when we think we are reflecting most profoundly on those external processes we actually feel ourselves entirely outside them. Indeed we often feel that we are best able to think about those external processes if we keep ourselves well isolated from them, withdrawing into ourselves. The human ancestor who was dreamy in his thinking, if I may put it like this, did not have that feeling. Developing in his way in his dreams what we develop in our way when we are thinking, he knew himself to be intimately bound up in everything he experienced with what went on in the world. We see the clouds, we think about them, but we do not feel that the powers alive in the clouds are also alive in our thinking. Our human ancestor did have the feeling that the powers alive in a cloud were also alive in his thinking. This ancestor said--and I must translate what he said into our language, for this language was a silent one compared to ours: The powers that are alive and active in the cloud out there produce images in my mind. He saw himself no more isolated from the great universe in which the cloud revealed its essential nature than my little finger is able to think itself isolated from the rest of me. If I were to cut it off it would wither; it would no longer be my finger. The human ancestor felt that he could not exist apart from the universe that belonged to him. My little finger might well say: The blood which pulses through the whole of the body also pulses within me; the whole of my organic life is governed by the same laws as the organic life of the rest of the body. The human ancestor said: I am part of the universe; the power that pulses within me as I evolve images is the same as the power that is alive and active in the forming of clouds. That is how the human ancestor felt himself to be closely related, intimately bound up, with the whole world.

We need to feel isolated from everything that goes on outside us in our thinking, as though the umbilical cord has been cut and we are separate from the essential origins and causes of the existing world. In ordinary life we are not aware of the pulses beating throughout the universe. Our thinking has grown abstract. Our thinking tells us nothing, as it were, of what is alive and active within it. This provides the actual potential for the freedom of human beings, a freedom where we do not feel that something is thinking in us but that we ourselves do the thinking.
What I gather from this, firstly, is that the preexistence of mankind before the world is as it is currently, as well as the world itself before this time is similar to what I hope to relay of the information that Gopi shared with us. It seems to me that this preexistence in etheric form is the existence of the potential of the entity that would evolve out of the seed that is our planet/stellar system. The other thing I take from this, is that the evolution of consciousness at the present location in time and space is at a stage such that it takes more clock time and willful effort by the separate, individuating units to develop the necessary amounts and types of energies necessary for the reincarnation (to say nothing of the ascension) program to be engaged.

I was having a conversation with Spaceman yesterday about where I currently perceive myself on the path (a comfort zone staring down the barrel of an exit ramp) and how if this is as far as I go, then I could be ok with that because of the work that's been done up until this point to develop those aforementioned types and amounts of energies which as a consequence leave me feeling assured knowing that what comes after this life will be a change of scenery where the development of the person I will be in the next life will not happen in the same rivalrous mode that it has up to this one now. I have reorganized the structure of my self such that the corpus, anima, and animus are able to healthily communicate and can work together towards a common goal. Spaceman's response was that it seems that this point that I feel comfortable with and could potentially stagnate in is likely the starting point for the evolution beyond h. sapiens sapiens.

In thinking on this, I've realized that a) I'm not as comfortable as I thought myself to be, otherwise I wouldn't feel the need to discuss it and b) this IS that point of origin. What happens after this is completely new for me, and I'd be wasting a valuable opportunity that I have given myself to fulfill the goals that I set out into this manifestation with. Will I stub my toe along the way or bump my head on a low hanging branch? Probably, if I'm careless. But I shouldn't and won't let that stop me. Sure, I could waltz right through the rest of this incarnation "successfully", but it wouldn't see me completing the things that I came here to work on. Leaving that for further incarnations would be crass, callous, and irresponsible. I'm still learning that the ego is tenacious in its old ways and tries very skillfully/craftfully to usurp its former seat as king of the castle back again, but so long as I remain aware of that I can continue forward, knowing that the system is evolving.

Perhaps this is one such inhibition as was mentioned in the OP that keeps our species from developing the psychic abilities that we are most certainly capable of. Most of us here have experienced these to some extent at some point or another, but it's the next step that will see us growing into the potential that sat waiting for the right conditions in order to engage the seeds of who/what we are. Then, once again, the world will find itself home to wizardkind. We just have to be brave enough and believe enough in ourselves to take the steps rather than stand idly by at the threshold waiting for a push (via reincarnation) or an invitation. This moment is our invitation. No one can make us take these steps. Likewise, once committed, no one can stop us from taking them. This is the path we are choosing to walk. This is Kheb.
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:43 am

The other day at work there was this glassy lab bottle with glass cap that was stuck and I couldn't open it with scissors that I did with few other bottles, so I just took a firm grip with one hand on the cap and other on bottle. Just kept pulling them apart with little force and thought about nothing at the moment, then it just popped open like magic, almost effortless. At first when the other tricks didn't work I said to myself "Time to use magic/mind power to open this thing". I dont really know if I used magic or not but got it open nonetheless.
Enjoy the Silence

Andrew
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:59 pm

Perhaps this is one such inhibition as was mentioned in the OP that keeps our species from developing the psychic abilities that we are most certainly capable of. Most of us here have experienced these to some extent at some point or another, but it's the next step that will see us growing into the potential that sat waiting for the right conditions in order to engage the seeds of who/what we are. Then, once again, the world will find itself home to wizardkind. We just have to be brave enough and believe enough in ourselves to take the steps rather than stand idly by at the threshold waiting for a push (via reincarnation) or an invitation. This moment is our invitation. No one can make us take these steps. Likewise, once committed, no one can stop us from taking them. This is the path we are choosing to walk. This is Kheb.
Certainly reminds me of this scene from The Matrix.

The other day at work there was this glassy lab bottle with glass cap that was stuck and I couldn't open it with scissors that I did with few other bottles, so I just took a firm grip with one hand on the cap and other on bottle. Just kept pulling them apart with little force and thought about nothing at the moment, then it just popped open like magic, almost effortless. At first when the other tricks didn't work I said to myself "Time to use magic/mind power to open this thing". I dont really know if I used magic or not but got it open nonetheless.
Interesting. I'm going to remember this the next time I am met with adversity. Hopefully I can have similar success. This is something to build upon. /execute training
"Classical historians traditionally dismiss tales of magic as unworthy of scholarly attention, but to us any mention of a witch's broomstick or wizard's wand evokes the smell of a scientist's laboratory." The Sphinx and the Megaliths

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Andrew wrote:Interesting. I'm going to remember this the next time I am met with adversity. Hopefully I can have similar success. This is something to build upon. /execute training
Yea, the other thing I had to only be like that for about 10 seconds when it finally popped open. Took awhile. Other regular employees like to bash them in table corner to try get em open, sometimes it works and other times the bottle or cap goes "crack" and glass goes everywhere. The bottle had some nutrients for measuring of biological oxygen demand (BOD) from water samples. The nutrients dry up and act like adhesive, or the cap is just twisted too firmly on.

I dont usually have such problems to solve where I could practice magic, but definitely going to continue to do so when the need arises.
Enjoy the Silence

Obzistian
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Obzistian » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:07 pm

It does sound like an interesting read, LB. I will have to take a look.
Interactive Intelligence coordinates movement in harmony with its nature.

New2RS2
Discens
Discens

Post by New2RS2 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:27 pm

You might find the book, Up From Eden, by Ken Wilber to provide an intelligent, evolutionary approach to this issue. Here is a concise summary of the book by transpersonal researcher Stanislav Grof: http://www.integralworld.net/rev/rev_ufe_grof.html.