Silicon-Carbon bonds

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
sovert
Indagator
Indagator

Silicon-Carbon bonds

Post by sovert » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:08 am

I ran across an interesting article today regarding biologically manufactured silicon-carbon compounds. http://www.pasadenanow.com/main/caltech ... DvATi0rLaQ

The focus in the article happens to be on the directed evolution of the enzymes, but the part that caught my attention was the natural combining of silicon and carbon in a single molecule.
In a number of the threads on these forums, there has been a prevailing sentiment that silicon based stuffs are "the dark side", a la Dee, computers, the anti-life chemicals and what have you. It got me thinking a bit on why exactly the two "life bases" seem to be antithetical. It seems to me that the goal of furthering our own evolution can be greatly aided with the use of computers, particularly in the exploration of evolutionary paths via simulations and virtual models, which leads to the question of computers that aren't based on anti-carbon-life materials. Or a re-examination of whether silicon based technologies are necessarily bad.

Also of interest to me are methods like they outlined, of guided evolution, both on a biological and inanimate level. More specifically, for a long time I have been looking for ways of creating tools which could adapt to us, in the hope that such adapted tools could then provide feedback to us which we might not otherwise be aware of, or have developed senses for.
For example, the brain wave monitor tools which report the various beta/delta/alpha states of your brain activity give your consciousness feedback which you can then use to modify those invisible aspects.
In a similar way, there may be useful constructs to be invented which could interface with something like LB's holodeck for example. I have no idea how, but it's the things I haven't thought of that excite me the most.
All the EM-based technology seems abysmally crude to me, and I hope to invent better biological tools for the aid of The Ethicus.

A bit of a ramble, but sometimes it's the rambles that contain unknown gems!

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Silicon-Carbon bonds

Post by LoneBear » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Scary stuff... even more so to learn that this "organosilicon" is already in drugs and food sources.
Currently, these products are made synthetically, since the silicon-carbon bonds are not found in nature.
And you have to wonder why that is.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

animus
Centurio
Centurio

Re: Silicon-Carbon bonds

Post by animus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:14 pm

LoneBear wrote:Scary stuff... even more so to learn that this "organosilicon" is already in drugs and food sources.
"Volatile methylsiloxane (VMS) compounds are low molecular weight organosilicon species with relatively high vapor pressures under ambient conditions. VMS species are directly emitted to the environment from cosmetics and other personal care products (e.g., shampoos, skin creams, toothpaste, deodorants), and during the degradation of polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS), which is used in a broad range of applications (e.g., industrial, personal care, and household)" [1]

"[...] some VMS fluids are also found in cosmetics and other personal care formulations, often as carriers and emollients in antiperspirant, hair care, and skin care applications. The majority of the VMS materials in these personal care applications have a cyclic structure, and are designated as “cyclomethicones” by the Cosmetic Toiletry and Fragrance Association (CTFA)." [2] The CTFA is now known as the PCPC (Personal Care Products Council).

"They [cyclomethicones] are used in many cosmetic products where eventual complete evaporation of the siloxane carrier fluid is desired. In this way they are useful for products like deodorants and antiperspirants which need to coat the skin but not remain tacky afterward. Most cyclomethicone is manufactured by Dow Corning. Cyclomethicones have been shown to involve the occurrence of silanols during biodegration in mammals." [3]

"The word siloxane is derived from the words silicon, oxygen, and alkane.
They belong to the wider class of organo-silicon volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Siloxanes can be found in products such as cosmetics, deodorants, de-foamers, toothpaste, water repelling windshield coatings, lubricants, food additives, and soaps." [4]

"There is disclosed an oral composition including an organosilicon-type quaternary ammonium salt immobilized on a water-insoluble solid carrier. [...] An oral hygiene composition selected from the group consisting of tooth powder, toothpaste, dermatologic ointment, mouth wash, gargle, chewing gum, dental cream, and dental floss, said composition comprising an organosilicon-type quaternary ammonium salt bactericide which has a tendency to aggregate in an aqueous system immobilized on a water-insoluble solid stabilizing carrier." [5]

Also add fragrances to the list.