Hypnagogic experience

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Hypnagogic experience

Post by Billy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Had an interesting experience last evening:

Shortly after falling to sleep, I was suddenly awoken by the feeling of something being 'torn' out of me through the eyes and up out of my throat, through the mouth. Instinct told me to 'fight it', which I did, but the feeling caused me to gag and cough uncontrollably. I felt a few seconds of relief, at which point I attempted to raise my head up off the pillow, only to be literally torn back down, face first, into the pillow itself. This happened at least twice.

During the periods in which I was pulled back down into the pillow, fear caused me to think that some type of 'spider' type creature had enveloped my face with its legs, attempting to pull something out of me through the mask of my face.

When I was distant enough from the sleep state, this suddenly ceased, though my chest felt agitated, slightly burning.

I got up out of bed and walked into the living room to consult Joey and Spaceman, whom I thought would look at me as if I needed a sleeping pill; or a psychiatrist. However, quite to the contrary (should have known as much with this crew), as they both at once knew what was going on, labeling it as 'sleep paralysis' and a 'hypnagogic state', i.e. the in-between. Joey stated that it represented the first steps in astral projection, and that when it occurs again, I need to do all that I can to relax back into it, refusing to allow fear to overwhelm me.

Interesting thing to note is that yesterday, I began dosing of a rather potent herbal compound meant to assist with one particular health issue with which I am currently dealing. On top of this, I again began taking English Walnut Flower Essence, a medicine intended for those who are struggling during a period of transition in their lives, i.e. ready to take an exponential jump in growth, but struggling to let go of old patterns and habits. The combination of these two had me flying somewhere up on Cloud 13, quite relaxed, happy, and contented (as Spaceman can attest); so it's no wonder that certain barriers went down, and that I once again got to glimpse and to feel the potential inherent in the higher aspects of my self. Now it's just a matter of setting the intention of sitting down and understanding the nature of this feeling, and to follow through on embracing it so that it becomes a normal part of my everyday life; rather than a constant struggle to do WHAT I KNOW is best for me, instead wasting time on frivolous things.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share. Interesting experience, no doubt. Any thoughts?

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Re: Hypnagogic experience

Post by joeyv23 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Billy wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:07 pm
During the periods in which I was pulled back down into the pillow, fear caused me to think that some type of 'spider' type creature had enveloped my face with its legs, attempting to pull something out of me through the mask of my face.
Interesting the symbols that our minds use, no? When you get a chance, grab our copy of the Dictionary of Symbols and have a read on the entries for 'spider' and 'mask'.
[...]they both at once knew what was going on, labeling it as 'sleep paralysis' and a 'hypnagogic state', i.e. the in-between.
It was likely initiated during the hypnogagic state, yes, but your description tends more towards an experience with sleep paralysis and a partial projection. Hypnogagia proper is more of a mental state, a transition between waking conscious and the unconscious--usually experienced as something akin to a dream where you perceive different sensory input like colors, shapes, or sounds.
[...]when it occurs again, I need to do all that I can to relax back into it, refusing to allow fear to overwhelm me.
Be careful that you don't do this:
Instinct told me to 'fight it'
If your refusal is anything but passive observance and non engagement, then you'll have engaged with the thing causing the feeling of fear and may then get stuck unable to identify what's beneath the scary exterior and only able to experience the fear. The big point here is that you are going to find yourself faced with situations where you have absolutely no control and will require you to put some trust in the unconscious process i.e. the anima (or if you prefer the "higher aspects of yourself" i.e. the Spirit/Animus) being engaged.
Now it's just a matter of setting the intention of sitting down and understanding the nature of this feeling[...]
Setting intention is a good first step, but you have to act on that intention for anything to come of it.

In order to develop psionic ability you are going to have to get to know yourself in a deeper/fuller way than you ever have before. You'll have to empty your box's contents and see what's there so that you can then rearrange the things that aren't a part of your core identity. Any societal, familial, or peer imposed restrictions that you've accepted and embraced in/onto your psyche will have to be dealt with. You'll also need to work on engaging and working on your memory function, as it's likely that you'll want to be able to recall any experiences that you might have. Coming to an understanding of why this (memory) is an issue will likely be one of the major things for your progress forward.
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

Andrew
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Andrew » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:19 pm

This is refreshing to read, and it will likely be what gets me back over the hump when it comes to hypnogagia. I haven't been able to 'let it be' the last few times it's struck. I think the fear has been not being able to open my mouth, like, I need to get water, but I can't move, so I fight it and eventually pry myself back into waking consciousness, but its not fun. The few times I actually surrendered into it, I either went really deep into my own brain or I went flying. Or started jumping really high and running really fast. But for me, whenever I "passed the test" and slept into it, it didn't occur again for quite a bit of clock-time.
"Classical historians traditionally dismiss tales of magic as unworthy of scholarly attention, but to us any mention of a witch's broomstick or wizard's wand evokes the smell of a scientist's laboratory." The Sphinx and the Megaliths

animus
Centurio
Centurio

Post by animus » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:17 am

Andrew wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:19 pm
I haven't been able to 'let it be' the last few times it's struck. I think the fear has been not being able to open my mouth, like, I need to get water, but I can't move, so I fight it and eventually pry myself back into waking consciousness, but its not fun.
I haven't much experience with hypnagogia yet but in a dream you can often sense when you are getting too conscious and in turn can go easy on your waking actions and let the dream do its thing again. You won't get fully immersed into the dream and will still be able to do your things, just with a little less brainpower. Maybe with training this can be done in hypnagogic states as well? But if so, then it certainly will be quite a long training since these experiences don't occur very often, do they.

I dreamed of a fist-sized creature today which looked kind of like a rock with moss all over it but it could morph its face to any side, depending from which way you looked at it. I didn't move so I thought I would experiment with it. I put all kinds of bottles around it to see if it would still morph when I only peaked through a crack between the bottles. Then suddenly Hilda and Zelda from the TV series Sabrina were there sitting on the table, telling me I would need way more time to understand what was going on here. Understanding physics and magic wouldn't happen overnight and I would need to look at the shadow side. Then I turned my eyes away for a moment, then back at the table and suddenly it turned to a feast-like breakfast table and I found myself buttering a piece of bread with them two smirking at me.

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:00 am

animus wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:17 am
I haven't much experience with hypnagogia yet but in a dream you can often sense when you are getting too conscious and in turn can go easy on your waking actions and let the dream do its thing again. You won't get fully immersed into the dream and will still be able to do your things, just with a little less brainpower.
What you're describing here is key to having and engaging in the language bridge between material and cosmic aggregates. Zen Buddhism describes this as being able to simultaneously hold the dual and non-dual states of consciousness. In the instance we're discussing here we could say that we're talking about varied levels of engagement in these states In different words, it is conscious participation with /observation of a given scenario, whether that be a dream, hypnogagic experience, or otherwise.
Maybe with training this can be done in hypnagogic states as well? But if so, then it certainly will be quite a long training since these experiences don't occur very often, do they.
I'd say, given standard use of the word, the length of training, or more accurately the level of dedication to training yourself to be able to navigate and utilize these types of experiences is insane. Just when you have exhausted your mind and feel that the exercises are pointless and not getting you anywhere, you resign yourself to keep at it. I hit this wall while practicing motionlessness as a preparatory tool for consciously stepping across the boundary between awake and "other". By my own standards, the 4 hours that I laid completely still while maintaining waking consciousness that one time were the product of an insane level of tenacity to really get a handle on all of this.

Given enough practice, these types of things become commonplace. Hypnogogia is conscious awareness of a transitional stage. We go through the state every time we "descend" into the more unconscious realms of our experience or "ascend" to supraconscious realms.

If anyone is interested, an excellent piece of literature exiats that I was able to make very effective use of for developing these types of abilities. The pertinent parts to what I'm discussing are in the beginning portions of the work under the heading 'Mind Control'. Having a look at it again now in order to compose this response, I see that I might be ready to delve more deeply into this, Liber Null and the Psychonaut
I dreamed of a fist-sized creature today which looked kind of like a rock with moss all over it but it could morph its face to any side, depending from which way you looked at it. I didn't move so I thought I would experiment with it. I put all kinds of bottles around it to see if it would still morph when I only peaked through a crack between the bottles. Then suddenly Hilda and Zelda from the TV series Sabrina were there sitting on the table, telling me I would need way more time to understand what was going on here. Understanding physics and magic wouldn't happen overnight and I would need to look at the shadow side. Then I turned my eyes away for a moment, then back at the table and suddenly it turned to a feast-like breakfast table and I found myself buttering a piece of bread with them two smirking at me.
Thanks for sharing, this is a good one!
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me