Visit your local market...

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Visit your local market...

Post by Djchrismac » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:48 pm

... you never know what bargain you will find. In this day of lazy internet shopping from your sofa, it's often worthwhile to get out and visit your local markets or second hand shops. In Glasgow we have the famous Barras, unfortunately now on the decline due to Ebay and such like, so we decided to visit recently to take some photos, enjoy the local banter and soak it all in before it gets any quieter or gets closed down.

It was a very enjoyable day, we met some lovely people and heard stories of how much busier it used to be, with the added bonus that I picked up series 1-8 of Stargate SG-1 on DVD for just £6!

"So why don't you just switch off your internet and go out and visit your local market?" :D

trippingthelight
Discens
Discens

Re: Visit your local market...

Post by trippingthelight » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:20 pm

I just had to pipe up about the Why Don't You TV show. I remember it fondly although I really didn't realise the full title was 'Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go Out and Do Something Less Boring Instead?', I thought it was just Why Don't You. Ahh yes it sure does take me back!

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Djchrismac » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:52 am

Haha I did wonder if you would remember and comment on this, turns out I was right! :D

Why Don't You was the name of the show, and the main part of the song repeated, then it finished with the long part, although I always thought it was "Why don't you... just switch off your TV set, and do something less boring instead"... I guess my memory just shortened it to that over the years.

Enjoy:

Still good advice for people today! :)

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Djchrismac » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:58 am

Although I do agree with this comment and the reply to it!
Never understood the logic of a TV show telling you to stop watching TV.
...also if you followed the advice and put your foot through the TV screen, you mother/father would paste your arse!
:lol:

trippingthelight
Discens
Discens

Post by trippingthelight » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:01 pm

Djchrismac wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:52 am
Haha I did wonder if you would remember and comment on this, turns out I was right!
Hehe :lol:
I have been thinking of northern things recently actually and your comments about the Beaumont book describing the holy lands being in Scotland is still quite fresh in my mind. I also heard about an 'illuminated' book from the 9th century, the Book of Kells (there is an animated film called the 'Secret of Kells' which I enjoyed, it involves fairies too) which was apparently moved from the Isle of Iona to Ireland after the Vikings raided. This naturally got thinking about Lindisfarne and the story of the raid on the priory there which coincided with me booking to stay in Northumberland for a week which should hopefully bring about a trip to Rosslyn chapel! Maybe we were crossing paths in the 3D time landscape :?: :?: :shock: :shock:

Another gem from those time was Number 73, do you remember that one?

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Djchrismac » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Not just Scotland, all of Britain! I'm almost done with book 2, the Mysterious Comet, not long until the really good stuff but what i have read of Britain: The Key to World History, on pdf a while back (before stopping to wait for the proper book collection to arrive) and my subsequent research of the landscape which turned up more confirmation, has already got me very intrigued. I'll post about comets, meteors and volcanoes soon once i finish book 2 and digest the info so more, so we can all discuss Comyn's early planetery building and cataclysm theories to see if they hold together.

So far his research is very logical and refreshing not to mention eye opening. Iona is also very important in Comyn's work, more on that later. Thanks for reminding me and recommending the book of Kells, now further up my to read list and i'll try and find the film, cheers.

I like how this has influenced your week long holiday! I visited Rosslyn a few months ago and it was brilliant, pics at https://www.flickr.com/photos/djchrisma ... 9510441856 and make sure you read all of Jeff's website before you go (start at the bottom and work your way up):
http://www.mythomorph.com/

Rosslyn is only an hour away so let me know when you plan on going and i will try to come along and meet you, i've been wanting to return with my new wide angle lens to take more pics amd Jeff has also asked me to check out a few more things for him. :)

Also, be sure to say hi to William the Rosslyn cat who is free to roam the Chapel inside and out, no pics allowed inside now unfortunately although i did sneak a few on my phone in the crypt! ;) You'll love Jeff's theory on the stars on the ceiling...

I remember No.73, although i normally just watched the cartoons then went out to play as the other stuff was a bit boring for me.

PM or email me to let me know when you will be in Edinburghshire (ancient name for the region, no longer used) and if need be i'll take a day off work to pop through and say hello... :D

trippingthelight
Discens
Discens

Post by trippingthelight » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:24 pm

thanks for the link to your pics, they are great, looks like you got a really nice day too. shame no photos allowed inside though
:( cheers for the tip, i'll be sure to cue up my phone before we go in.

I was looking for reading material before I (hopefully) go so the website looks good, may pick up a book or two also. I say hopefully as I need to convince my wife, two young sons and parents to come along also! Ha, it's my plan to visit there, they don't know yet!