Honour and Common Sense

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Honour and Common Sense

Post by LoneBear » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Having been around for 61% a century now, I have watched the "fall of mankind" as he descended downward into self-centered mercantilism. In order to do this, he sacrificed two very important concepts of old: honor and common sense. This is required for the "suspension of disbelief" that marketing relies on.

Every day, you are exposed to thousands of bits of advertising about things you never knew existed, but now cannot live without. Why? Psychology refers to it as projection, identification and transference--taking those things of meaning on the inside, and attaching them to things on the outside, that others control.

I have come to learn that the younger generations, particularly in Western societies, lack these qualities. I mean, why take a direct approach, when you can sneak around people's backs, whispering and passing notes, as you work to make your plans against someone? This has become the modus operandi of our "civilized" society. Forgotten, have we, that Nature will give you what you ask for--and if you want to play, "I've Got a Secret", you will get a society that is based on hidden agendas, secret brotherhoods and underground governments. So don't complain about it--you should be happy, as you got what you asked for.

People talk of honor and common sense, yet seldom exhibit it. This may be because they have never been exposed to it, so they do not actually understand the concepts.

Regarding common sense, I would recommend a read of Thomas Paine's book, "Common Sense," for he was a man that had plenty of it--which was used by the "Founding Fathers" of these United States as the basis of our Constitution.

To understand honor, examine its history: What is Honor?
The Imaginative Conservative wrote:There was a time in days gone by when honor was the driving force behind the life of every great, good, and decent man. Every action of his hand, every thought that found its way from the mind to the mouth and past the lips, every motivation for every endeavor worthy of his undertaking—they were all of them dictated by a man’s inborn sense honor, and aimed at either bolstering that honor which already existed, or else at reclaiming that which through some misfortune had been lost. Honor has for a millennium been the central point in the stories we read to our children in the hope that they too will grow to live honorably. Men and women of valor would slay the dragon, defeat the witch, overthrow or subvert the evil king, all in the name of fulfilling their sense of honor.

Not relegated to our fairy tales only, honor is also found in all of the great stories of history, both told and untold. Men and women of honor speak to the soul; they speak to that which in every living human is real and true. The reason for this is because honor, whatever it is determined to be, is itself honest, good, beautiful, and true. Man honors God, the prophets, and his parents. He honors his promises, his vows, his laws, and his debts. He honors his athletes, scholars, and the myriad other high achievers in our society.

What, then, is honor? What follows below is a look at various ideas of honor through the ages, followed by what honor in its present state means for mankind, and finally a few concluding thoughts. This is, regrettably, only a primer on the issue and is hardly a comprehensive work.
Nerdy Sci-Fi reference included for Andrew.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: Honour and Common Sense

Post by Djchrismac » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:37 pm

I've only been here for 40% of a century but I see it too, every day! I have always been a champion for common sense, perhaps related to being a Taurean and thinking things through before acting. Earlier I was having a laugh at some forum posts elsewhere on the stupidity of people with examples of things said or done that beggar belief... oh boy, there is a lot to be said for the Darwin awards! I don't see our current society improving this situation any time soon as we fly at lightspeed into the sci-fi reality of the idiocracy, in fact it is unfortunately already with us!

:wink:

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Honour and Common Sense

Post by LoneBear » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:48 pm

That Dilbert cartoon is a riot... but I'll bet nobody "gets it," because you need common sense!

One of the things people don't connect is that honesty is derived from honor. One can never expect a dishonorable person to ever deal fairly or honestly--which explains our system of commerce. However, things have gone a long way from Mr. Haney.

Someone had commented to me in a private communication that they were starting to "believe" in honor. I am quite befuddled by that statement... it appears to be a consequence of the "virtual worldview" that folks have these days, courtesy of not having any real-life experiences. In the virtual world, nothing is real so all you have is belief. To me, this is one huge red flag, signaling the beginning of the end of humanity. What kind of society can exist, without honor and honesty?

In the Other Realm, honor is the basis of all dealings and mankind has repeatedly demonstrated that he is dishonorable. Being of Cherokee descent, I know of the treaties of "white man"--used for no other reason than to stall for time as they plan their attack. Many of the video games I've recently seen do the same thing--they reward dishonor (or disguise dishonor AS honor). This enters the mind as "learned behavior," their new modus operandi in the external world.

As my signature states, I guard the bridge between the realms. People have asked me what the 5 questions are to pass (er... 3 questions), or what the "password" is. Only ONE needs to be asked... and it has nothing to do with swallows... just, "Are you an honorable man?"
Thomas Paine wrote:It is not a field of a few acres of ground, but a cause, that we are defending, and whether we defeat the enemy in one battle, or by degrees, the consequences will be the same.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Uncommon Sense

Post by LoneBear » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:39 pm

I had a Eureka** moment in the shower the other night. I realized how a person's worldview is influenced by the source of "information input." When I was a kid, it was 95% reading and 5% B&W video (broadcast TV--3 channels), a few hours a week. Now it is 99% video.

**Greek for "this bathwater is too hot!"

When I read stories, I create the "movie version" in my head as I read along. The process generates characters, voices, personalities... all the stuff you need to generate persona in the outside world (like a bunch of "templates"). Sometimes, I forget I am reading and though I am, I am "watching" the moving play out in my head, directed by the words on the pages. Because this is all internal, it becomes a set of symbols, motifs and allegory in the worldview. After the book is finished, I still have that entire script--now as a film--in my cartography.

Contrast that to video... you don't have to create anything in your head, because it is all done for you... all the scenery, personality profiles, voices... no creativity required. Without the creative process, it just becomes a "flash in the pan." Now there are a few videos that push the creative process, but then tend to be the long "series" that create an epic tale--which you can usually get in a single book or trilogy.

I still prefer to read, over watch videos. And I'm a VERY slow reader, because that creative process that gets kicked off while I'm reading makes my mind wander... exploring possibilities and how a particular situation could be applied elsewhere, as it should be doing. (Chris knows quite well what happens when my mind wanders... and sometimes doesn't come back!)

When stories are created in the mind, I have noticed they tend to connect to "Natural consequences" of personal experience. YouTubes, however, do not do that... most of them are just artificial realities with virtual messages in an entertaining fantasy--and I put most of the "lectures" in that category, as well.

Might want to consider your sources of input and how you process them. If most of it is just "fluff" that blows away with the next big breeze, you may want to sit down and read a good book.

DSKlausler
Centurio
Centurio

Re: Uncommon Sense

Post by DSKlausler » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:47 am

LoneBear wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:39 pm

When I was a kid, it was 95% reading and 5% B&W video (broadcast TV--3 channels), a few hours a week. Now it is 99% video.
"When I was your age, television was called BOOKS!"
Anything is possible with the proper training.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:53 pm

DSKlausler wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:47 am
"When I was your age, television was called BOOKS!"
Reminds me a bit of that comment Dave Lister made in Red Dwarf, when he thought he was going to die... "I can't die! ...and I've never read... a book!"

DSKlausler
Centurio
Centurio

Post by DSKlausler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:08 am

LoneBear wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:39 pm
When I read stories, I create the "movie version" in my head as I read along.
As cheezy as some think Robert Ludlum, I can vividly remember creating the movies in my head as I read his "Bourne" books.

Asimov's Foundation series too.

Actually, many more, now that I think about it.
Anything is possible with the proper training.