Quiet: We Live in Public

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Quiet: We Live in Public

Post by Djchrismac » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:57 am

...a cautionary tale for our technology-addicted age:

We're already in the zoo.
Jones: [looks at Sallah] You said their headpiece only had markings on one side, are you absolutely sure? [Sallah nods] Belloq's staff is too long.
Jones and Sallah: They're digging in the wrong place!

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Re: Quiet: We Live in Public

Post by Ilkka » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:50 am

Yea, it quickly seemed to change from good to bad. It is a good experiment setting an example how things are going to go in that kind of situation. Maybe some people would like to in there who wouldn't give a damn about their privacy, but others wouldn't be so accepting.
Enjoy the Silence

Kent
Cognitor
Cognitor

Post by Kent » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:07 pm

What strikes me is how that experiment serves as a microcosm for the conditions that the majority of the world live in today. Anyone who owns a smart phone and has access to an internet connection is living in a larger, more spread out version of the 'Quiet: We Live in Public' experiment in the sense that they are able to broadcast their lives and view into others'. Of course, not every camera on every phone and computer is available to be seen by the entire world/internet (although, depending on who you ask cameras and microphones may be more monitored than we like to believe). So, while we have more available privacy than in the experiment (people can't watch me go to the bathroom in my home as they could in the experiment, for example) we are able to see and be seen at this time more than any other in history, and maybe the level of claustrophobic psychological fraying/madness that we saw in the experiment is slowly playing out in the modern culture. Perhaps the rising levels of anxiety and depression seen across modern society are directly attributable to the increased communication and simultaneous lack of connection that our technological prowess affords us.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:58 pm

It is interesting the way that society flipped from good to bad so quickly... got to wonder if they are using it as a template for social media, as I've noticed the same thing there. I've also seen this happen in most social groups that I've participated in, over the years. They start out great. Everyone is working together and having fun, then as time goes along, the group splits up (the original founders versus the wanna-be founders) and eventually falls apart in conflict. I guess it is just human nature.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:10 am

LoneBear wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:58 pm
They start out great. Everyone is working together and having fun, then as time goes along, the group splits up (the original founders versus the wanna-be founders) and eventually falls apart in conflict. I guess it is just human nature.
Maybe thats the reason for Monastery not working in reality. It would start great and then people would be dropping off from it one by one, unless new people would be introduced so that the population would fluctuate between certain average number. Although for that kind of project there would always be few who would like to continue to be part of the Monastery for the rest of their natural lives.

I think that there would be some conflicts as always in this black and white world where you just cannot seem to get grey enough to stay that way. Perhaps if enough people close by have the same "greyness" in them then the whole thing would work.
Enjoy the Silence

DSKlausler
Centurio
Centurio

Post by DSKlausler » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:06 am

LoneBear wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:58 pm
It is interesting the way that society flipped from good to bad so quickly... got to wonder if they are using it as a template for social media, as I've noticed the same thing there. I've also seen this happen in most social groups that I've participated in, over the years. They start out great. Everyone is working together and having fun, then as time goes along, the group splits up (the original founders versus the wanna-be founders) and eventually falls apart in conflict. I guess it is just human nature.
Can we make a valid comparison to some tribes of american indians? Did they not survive as relatively [internally] harmonious groups for many years? Maybe the failure of your groups was a result of the disparate background of the individual members, whereas the tribe members had been born and grew, always within close proximity to each other.
Anything is possible with the proper training.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:39 am

DSKlausler wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:06 am
Maybe the failure of your groups was a result of the disparate background of the individual members, whereas the tribe members had been born and grew, always within close proximity to each other.
Possibly, but there is also a large, cultural difference between Caucasians and Native Americans, particularly in the area of ethics. Back in the early days, they were a very honorable people and I'm sure that went a long way towards group cooperation, particularly since their life situation was much rougher than the Europeans.

Of course, these days people are afraid to commit to something. I suppose that comes from constantly living in fear--always ready to run away.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Kent
Cognitor
Cognitor

Post by Kent » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:43 am

LoneBear wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:39 am
DSKlausler wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:06 am
Maybe the failure of your groups was a result of the disparate background of the individual members, whereas the tribe members had been born and grew, always within close proximity to each other.
Possibly, but there is also a large, cultural difference between Caucasians and Native Americans, particularly in the area of ethics. Back in the early days, they were a very honorable people and I'm sure that went a long way towards group cooperation, particularly since their life situation was much rougher than the Europeans.

Of course, these days people are afraid to commit to something. I suppose that comes from constantly living in fear--always ready to run away.
I agree that generally speaking people are very quick to give up on things nowadays, and this may be attributed to living in fear, but there are other issues at work here besides just cultural differences. When looking at group dynamics it's important to keep in mind the purpose of the group. In the instance of a tribe, the day to day lives of its members are at stake as the tribe contains your immediate and extended families, as well as serving as the larger social group you belong to. So, 'buying in' to the values of your tribe allows one to be clothed, fed, and generally live their life. Contrast this with membership into a corporation. In the modern world being employed effects your ability to cloth and feed yourself (your economic security), but your place of employment does not fulfill your social, familial, or emotional needs in the way that a tribe would. Therefore, in the modern world it's easy to change jobs without risking other elements of your well-being. This is not true in the case of a tribe. For example, if a member of the Ojibwe tribe was tired of his family he couldn't just go seek different circumstances. In fact, you don't really hear much about 'teenage angst' in the examination of the Native Americans.

The modern world is much more compartmentalized than the days in which 'tribes' thrived. People are members of numerous groups in order to meet their material, economic, social, and emotional needs. Leadership of any group relies in part on the foundational values of the group, and how well they're communicated, emphasized, and modeled. If a social group isn't meeting the needs of its members than yes, generally speaking people will simply drop out as there's much less at a stake for them than being a member of a Native American tribe which touches many more aspects of that person's life. Keeping a social group together (and thriving) in the modern world is more delicate because of this.