What it is to be Anla'shok

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:35 pm

Quoting Turval, Minbari religious caste teacher of the Anla'shok:

"Being Anla'shok does not mean worrying about what others will think about us. It does not mean deciding what to do based upon whether or not it serves our sense of ego or destiny. It means loving each moment as if it were your last one. It means doing each right thing because it is the right thing. The scale doesn't matter. The where, the when, the how, or in what cause... none of those things matter.

"In my life, I've discovered very few truths. Here is the greatest truth I know: your death will have a meaning if it comes while you're in fullest pursuit of your heart."

Those Minbari know their stuff.

GhostCat
Cognitor
Cognitor

Re: What it is to be Anla'shok

Post by GhostCat » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:19 pm

"Being Anla'shok does not mean worrying about what others will think about us. It does not mean deciding what to do based upon whether or not it serves our sense of ego or destiny. It means loving each moment as if it were your last one. It means doing each right thing because it is the right thing. The scale doesn't matter. The where, the when, the how, or in what cause... none of those things matter.

"In my life, I've discovered very few truths. Here is the greatest truth I know: your death will have a meaning if it comes while you're in fullest pursuit of your heart."
I've been pondering this. Contained therein are several statements I have agreed with in years past but come to a new view of in more recent days. If I were to gently rewrite - and I acknowledge much of this is semantics, but I'm a believer in attention to the small things - I would say something like...

As Anla'shok, our basis for decision-making and/or action-taking will not be the resultant thoughts that others think. Likewise, as Anla'shok, our decision-making and/or action-taking will not be based in ego or destiny. Anla'shok or not, each moment may well be our last, and we do well to behave as though we know it. As Anla'shok, we know that 'right' is relative, and we acknowledge this .. our decisions/actions are not based upon 'right' but upon a perceived need, and are the best solution we can see given the information we have at hand. As Anla'shok, we know that "when we've reached one, we've reached all," and the most important one to reach is within. Therefore, the smallest scale - our very dedication to BEING - is the greatest scale there is.

Several times now I've found myself diverting attention from doing to being ... I would note here that the mission of the Rangers (as I perceive it) is one of the most difficult, because it is the doing OF being ... publicly, where it may well be counted as interference or infringement. It is a worthy challenge to walk that line, and a necessary one, I sense, in the coming age of this planet's evolution. Aescetics have been withdrawing for centuries - millenia, even - and being in the privacy of their mountain retreats. The time seems to have come for the doing of being to become more than a conscious act ... a public act. Perhaps in so doing, the public may become conscious???

BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio

Post by BlueEagle » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:37 pm

From our posts, these are some of the main ideas that have been identified with the Anla'shok.

Of course these need to re-worded, and are idealistic. Many words (as in the human languages) are opem to interpritation. However, this my writing style, to write from the heart, and not the mind nessesarily, which tends to cause problems. So please... edit to your heart's content.

To Be Anla’shok is to:

Not let what others think about us control our path
Not determine our actions based on ego or destiny
Live each moment as if it were our last
Do the right thing, because it is the right thing
Strive for oneness in the body, mind, and soul
Have honor, duty, and responsibility
Have integrity, responsibility, compassion, and strength
Grow and act in the service of others
To Be Anla’shok is to Be One

GhostCat said...(basically the top three ideas)
As Anla'shok, our basis for decision-making and/or action-taking will not be the resultant thoughts that others think. Likewise, as Anla'shok, our decision-making and/or action-taking will not be based in ego or destiny. Anla'shok or not, each moment may well be our last, and we do well to behave as though we know it. As Anla'shok, we know that 'right' is relative, and we acknowledge this .. our decisions/actions are not based upon 'right' but upon a perceived need, and are the best solution we can see given the information we have at hand. As Anla'shok, we know that "when we've reached one, we've reached all," and the most important one to reach is within. Therefore, the smallest scale - our very dedication to BEING - is the greatest scale there is.
Believing in Faith