Yin Yang symbols

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
Vuyiswa
Centurio
Centurio

Yin Yang symbols

Post by Vuyiswa » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:41 am

Haven't logged on for a while. I find the yin/yang balls next to each avatar interesting. The look cool. Anyone know what they mean? plus what do the Latin words indicate?]

Hope all are well... I guess in USA its Thanksgiving season. Here in the UK it is getting a bit Autumnal and the colour hues are looking great on the trees.

Love,

V
Love is All/All is Love\r\n\r\nWhat you are looking for is what is looking.\r\n- St. Francis of Assisi

Eccles
Cellarius
Cellarius

Great balls of fire!

Post by Eccles » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:57 am

I know, I know…I have entirely too much time on my hands.
Eccles

University of Notre Dame Latin dictionary: http://archives.nd.edu/latgramm.htm

antiquus -a -um [coming before; previous , earlier]; absol., [old, ancient, primitive]. In compar. and superl. [preferred, more important]. M. pl. as subst. antiqui -orum, [the people of old time], esp. [ancient authors]. Hence adv. antique, [in the ancient manner]; also antiquitus, [from of old or long ago].
Lone Bear (7 icons) - 984 posts

atriensis -is m. [head slave , steward].
Alluvion (6) – 675 posts

cellarius -a -um [of a storeroom]; as subst. [a cellarer].
Starlight* (5) – 333 posts
Tulan (5) – 325 posts

sapio sapere sapivi or sapii (1) [to taste]; with acc. [to taste or smell of]. (2) [to have taste , be able to taste]. (3) mentally, [to discern, be sensible, be wise, think]. Hence partic. sapiens -entis, [wise, sensible, judicious]; as subst., [a sensible, judicious person]; also [wise man, philosopher, sage]. Adv. sapienter.
BlueEagle (4) – 208 posts
Lvx08 (4) – 106 posts
Dbeaman1 (4) – 195 posts
Vuyiswa (4) – 240 posts
Raytheonsky (4) – 130 posts
Eccles (4) – 214 posts

cognitor -oris m. [a knower]; legal , [a witness or an attorney]; in gen., [a supporter].
Zenmaster (3) – 95 posts
GhostCat (3) - 75

indagator -oris m. [investigator , explorer].
Little Dragon (2) – 25 posts
Gopi (2) – 45 posts
T’Shilah (2) – 48 posts
Love Aware (2) – 34 posts

caecus -a -um act. , [blind, not seeing; intellectually or morally blind; uncertain, objectless]; pass., [unseen, hidden, obscure, dark].
Benjamin (1) – 2 posts
MWells (1) – 3 posts
Cointreau (1) – 21 posts
Davidgry (1) – 5 posts
Gdpetti (1) - 20 posts
twilight boy (1) – 23 posts
PhenomResiliency (1) – 5 posts
Belthazor (1) – 10 posts
Sugmanitu Tanka (1) – 10 posts
Aluxon (1) – 1 post

Wanderer

Vuyiswa
Centurio
Centurio

Re: Yin Yang symbols

Post by Vuyiswa » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:17 pm

Hi Eccles,

Time well spent I'd say. Thank you fellow sapiens! :D Hope you are well and enjoying the Fall season.

Love,

V
Love is All/All is Love\r\n\r\nWhat you are looking for is what is looking.\r\n- St. Francis of Assisi

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:30 pm

Vuyiswa wrote:Haven't logged on for a while. I find the yin/yang balls next to each avatar interesting. The look cool. Anyone know what they mean? plus what do the Latin words indicate?
Just a bit of inspiration from your post on the Ancient White Race of Africa...
Vuyiswa wrote:Those who read what I have written will probably ask, Who, and what are Mandhlalanga and his fellows? The following is as much as I can tell. They say that they are members of a great Brotherhood which they call by various names: 'Ubungoma obu fihliweyo' (Brothers of Secret Wisdom) is the term employed by Mandhlalanga. My Egyptian friend, and others whom I have met from the northern half of Africa call their association 'Abadala abase Khemu" (Elders of Ethiopia).
Not to mention the Great White Brotherhood (India) and the Brotherhood of the 7 Rays (South America).
Vuyiswa wrote:They have no organization such as is found in a Western society.
They are world-wide, but are not organized as a religion or corporation, as one finds in Western society.
Vuyiswa wrote:Members are of every grade of attainment, from pupils such as I was, up to men known vaguely as 'Abangoma' (Those who know); but neither Mandhlalanga, nor any of his fellows whom I have met, claim to know anything of those higher brothers. But above the 'Abangoma' there is said to be 'The Ancient One', but who or what he is I do not know.
I didn't know the African words for the 7 grades of attainment, but I do know the Latin ones, which Eccles described. I hooked it in to the ranking system on the forum (# of posts), just as an amusement.

Starlight*
Cellarius
Cellarius

hey, leave my 3's alone

Post by Starlight* » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:43 pm

Hey, I like my 3's. 324 and 333 still totals to 9.

Star*

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Great balls of fire!

Post by LoneBear » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:10 pm

Eccles wrote:I know, I know…I have entirely too much time on my hands.

University of Notre Dame Latin dictionary: http://archives.nd.edu/latgramm.htm
There are also a couple of special designations, also:

Velicus -- person elected for life to represent the Society, kind of like the Pope. Velicus is a word meaning "covering", as this person is analogous to the web of a social memory complex, that covers the Society.

Progressio -- a council of advisors made up of retired Velicus. They are those whom are pretty much done with the material world, and about to "move forward" (progress) on to the next stage.

Here's a thought: since "pro" is the opposite of "con", and "progress" means to "move forward", then what does "Congress" mean?

Eccles was pretty close with the other levels. I've added some Harry Potter references (1st year) to draw an analogy:

Antiquus: Ancient One (Albus Dumbledore)

Atriensis: Master Steward (like the old-time "head butler") (Minerva McGonagal, Voldemort)

Cellarius: Steward (like a wine steward--still a steward, but with less responsibility) (Hogwart's Teaching staff, Hagred)

Sapiens: Thinkers (wisdom applied to knowledge) (The yearly "Defense against the Dark Arts teacher)

Cognitors: Knowers (Hermione Grainger)

Indagator: Seeker (Harry Potter)

Caecus: the blind, the "newbie" on the path (Ron Weasley)

Wanderer: Muggle

Velicus: (Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic)

Progressio: (Hogwarts board of trustees)
Last edited by LoneBear on Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Starlight*
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Starlight* » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:20 am

How creative.

You forgot to mention the One above all those..... in which there is the unknown. So things aren't always as they seem.

It'd be interesting to see how others would arrange them.

Hagrid, actually, reminds me of you, LoneBear. :)

The Love of One
Starlight*

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:40 am

funnily enough i would say LB does his share of 'care of magical creatures'.

-a

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:08 pm

Alluvion wrote:funnily enough i would say LB does his share of 'care of magical creatures'.
I don't mind the "caring" bit... but it's cleaning up the messes they leave that get me! :)