Test 2: First Contact

Forum for the sharing and discussion of various research projects going on.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Test 2: First Contact

Post by LoneBear » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:13 am

You are visiting the Pacifica SGC, 1300 miles off the west coast of Mexico on a small island. The SGC has been up for a while, and has all the amenities, including Satellite internet and a large library.

A spacecraft lands at the SGC, and two beings emerge. They physically resemble humans, having arms, legs, eyes, nose, ears and mouth, yet they say nothing.

How do you go about establishing communication and making a positive First Contact with them?

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Test 2: First Contact

Post by Alluvion » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:23 am

direct eye contact, smile and bow.

Little Dragon

Post by Little Dragon » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:01 pm

WarmSylph wrote:direct eye contact, smile and bow.
These are appropriate for human culture but for eathly nonhuman beings direct eye contact can communicate a challenge while looking down or away is polite subservience. Smiling, barring one's teeth, might not seem friendly. Bowing is a sign of playfulness, at least for dogs.

It all depends on their culture, which could be quite different from ours, even if they are bipedal.

BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio

Psi

Post by BlueEagle » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:14 pm

Prehaps send a psi greeting, of calmness, and depending on what you what impression you want to make, one of love. Not to strong, just enough to let them know what your feelings are.
Believing in Faith

BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio

library

Post by BlueEagle » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:16 pm

though i wonder why you mention the library and satalite, maybe they may want to come in and start reading?

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:50 pm

Little Dragon wrote:
WarmSylph wrote:direct eye contact, smile and bow.
These are appropriate for human culture but for eathly nonhuman beings direct eye contact can communicate a challenge while looking down or away is polite subservience. Smiling, barring one's teeth, might not seem friendly. Bowing is a sign of playfulness, at least for dogs.

It all depends on their culture, which could be quite different from ours, even if they are bipedal.
I think you are jumping to conclusions about the one-dimensionality of my reply, and that you know so much about 'alien cultures' to properly apply what my response would mean to them. Are you a socio-anthropologist studying the non-verbal communications of alien species?

If these aliens are intelligent and facile enough to create craft which could traverse space they are learned enough to recognize the non-verbal communications of another entity I would think, but I could be assuming more as well.

I think what you've decided is what my response would indicate to you as an intelligently advanced and 'superior being'.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Intelligence

Post by LoneBear » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:15 am

I would concur with Little Dragon. In Nature, the baring of one's teeth is considered a hostile act. Humans are the exception, not the rule. It would be prudent to consider, due to lack of other information, that Natural law -- the observed behavior of nature -- would be the basic rule set to use, because it would be a common ground for most encounters. Though I wouldn't recommend laying on your back with your arms and legs up in the air, in a sign of submission! :)

I think that it would be a safe assumption that they would assume WE are an intelligent species, seeing machine-woven clothes, shoes, and groomed appearance. How would you go about proving that assumption?

We both have eyes to see, so some form of visual communication, as WarmSylph suggested with the bow, is probably a good start -- but how do you depersonalize it so there is less chance of being misunderstood?

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:04 am

well I suggested a smile, not a chesire-cat grin : i'll be more specific

a smile that comes from a place of deep acknowledgement and prescence, the kind of smile that comes from looking in the eyes of another and connecting in a wordless manner - thus the connection is known, differences are not chasms of fear and the process of creating some sort of systematic communication style can be established.

how to go about proving our individual levels of intelligence and/or our cultural intelligence?

i still think prior to this is establishing the connection of welcoming and well-wishing. I would assume that if an alien species landed on this planet they would've done so after careful deliberation and observation so I think they'd not set foot among such a fervent people without knowing about them first. We've learned how to avoid ant piles and pirahna's, so I imagine that they'd understand basic singals of threat or friendlieness.

I would perhaps communicate to them, subtley my feelings and then offer them the opportunity to follow or leave the situation - following the 'story', returing to the SGC and going about my business. If they were to follow they would follow, if they were to leave they were to leave.

And here i'd be talking about it on the forum.+

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

4th density perspective

Post by LoneBear » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:38 pm

WarmSylph wrote:a smile that comes from a place of deep acknowledgement and prescence, the kind of smile that comes from looking in the eyes of another and connecting in a wordless manner - thus the connection is known, differences are not chasms of fear and the process of creating some sort of systematic communication style can be established.
You propose some very interesting ideas--ones I hadn't considered before.

Normally, first contact scenarios are designed around establishing an intellectual, geometric correlation, normally drawing the 3-4-5 triangle and labeling the sides. This provides a basis for a numerical sequence that can be expanded into our decimal system, and from that, the necessary relational "primers" that lead to a mathematical language. (By "primers", I refer to the basic boolean and arithmetic operators).

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that, rather than an intellectual approach, a "4th density" one is used, by sending love/light to the visitors, as both an invitation and identification of the service bias of the group? I don't think that has ever been consciously attempted during a UFO contact situation. And one heck of a way to avoid negative entity contact.

Assume they accept your "offer" and follow you. Where do you go from there?

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:31 am

well i'd assume, once again, that if they have the technology they'd have the intelligence to observe us before landing. We know snakes bite so we'd be stupid to provoke that, we know animals can be tame so we take our time. I am not making the analogy however that we are cattle or stock or anything, just that one would definately be responding to the base instincts/forces of an individual in this respect - the intlligence approaching the less informed are responsible to facilitate, as much as possible, their intentions and attitude, wether that be deceit or of family. ANd it is the responsibility of those who still have a body to keep surviving to watch their intutions and whatnot. The question to me is not wether or not one has the sword in the hand but how they brandish it.

as for the math, people talk so much about the head and the mind when they REALLY are talking abotu things that come from the heart, the heart is incredibly displaced. I beleive that mythos(intutiion, unconsciouss) is perceptually primary to logos(intellect, consciouss), so for me the base is not how intelligent a construct could we show these alien beings but how we feel what our intentions are, be as transparent with feelings/beleifs as possible, offer that. I am certain that in offering those feelings and circumstances one then is able to 'read', logically/intuitively, the intentions and such of other beings. Perhaps not, i've not dealt with 3d aliens before. Or any that I can think of for that matter (besides all you outcasts).

so, if I gave them those vibes and then returned to the compound and they followed what would I do? Establish the intelligent communication system. Then I know they want to and they know I want too. I don't know if I would be so good at actually devising this system but I would learn it to facilitate. Then figure out about food and atmospheric affects and all.

but are we talking about an alien species with bodies like ours? or 4d 'aliens' ?

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:37 pm

WarmSylph wrote:Perhaps not, i've not dealt with 3d aliens before. Or any that I can think of for that matter (besides all you outcasts).
Sure you have... three-forths of the Earth's population is alien! The outcasts here are the Earthlings! :)

You make some very interesting comments. I have to consider them further, since they are well outside my normal thought processes.
WarmSylph wrote:so, if I gave them those vibes and then returned to the compound and they followed what would I do? Establish the intelligent communication system. Then I know they want to and they know I want too. I don't know if I would be so good at actually devising this system but I would learn it to facilitate. Then figure out about food and atmospheric affects and all.
What tools should a Ranger have with them, in order to make such a communication possible? (I'm thinking about other cultures on this world, as well as from others).
WarmSylph wrote:but are we talking about an alien species with bodies like ours? or 4d 'aliens' ?
Yes, the same physical template for this logos, in 3rd density. (4d would be too easy).

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:05 am

LoneBear wrote:
WarmSylph wrote:Perhaps not, i've not dealt with 3d aliens before. Or any that I can think of for that matter (besides all you outcasts).
Sure you have... three-forths of the Earth's population is alien! The outcasts here are the Earthlings! :)

>>> well true, but until they know it, they don't get it!

WarmSylph wrote:so, if I gave them those vibes and then returned to the compound and they followed what would I do? Establish the intelligent communication system. Then I know they want to and they know I want too. I don't know if I would be so good at actually devising this system but I would learn it to facilitate. Then figure out about food and atmospheric affects and all.
What tools should a Ranger have with them, in order to make such a communication possible? (I'm thinking about other cultures on this world, as well as from others).

>>>well...an understanding of how to establish communication using the body since both groups of entities have those and can express perceive with them. Intuitively I want paper and a pencil because thats normally where I go to express, explore, and get inside process - the 2 dimensional can be quite reductive and precise in both helpful and non-helpful ways. The good thing about it is the ability to communicate at any scale - one can diagram the universe, the solar system, the planet, the body, the room etc etc - the paper provides a common 'refential frame' within wich a conversation can take place, allowing for integrated and meta-messaging. to establish things about food we would have a grove on site so that we could communicate how we physical hunger, aquire food so that in understanding that we might be able to specifically understand when they are hungry and what on this earth they could eat - if they didn't make preparations for that already. An excersize I have in mind:

I'd draw myself, then the SGC, then a cityscape or landscape, other people, how those people interact etc etc - sort of a very slow, slide by slide show moving them through the individuals they have just connected into our perceptions of our cultural fabric, exposing them to some inside perspective that they might be able to integrate to understand "how/what" we think and in that way possibly gain some understanding about us that they can use to communicate with via identification - like, I see this person, they are alone in a room, they leave this room and travel down a ong corridor, down a verticle corridor and are out under the sky, then this person goes through spaces with objects and plant life, walking veryt fast passing other people, crossing lanes and corridors at specific places, enters a building, goes vertically upward and then goes really fast down another corridor, opens a door and chooses to sit amongst other people, taking out items from his bag.

maybe that helps, maybe not. I think if they were to observe our interactions on a repetitive basis they would begin to make the associations. It would be just as important for them to get inside our shoes as for us to get inside theirs.
WarmSylph wrote:but are we talking about an alien species with bodies like ours? or 4d 'aliens' ?
Yes, the same physical template for this logos, in 3rd density. (4d would be too easy).
well, that would be too easey wouldn't it ; )

_Adam