Permanent magnets as power source

Forum for the sharing and discussion of various research projects going on.
Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Permanent magnets as power source

Post by Ilkka » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:41 am

Today I saw this video in my suggestions on Youtube. It got my attention as I have been thinking about magnets and how they work and so on. Dont let the name fool you because it is not "free" of course. There are other such videos with bigger light bulbs from the same guy I guess, but different users.

Anyways, I wonder how much voltage and watts etc. it produces with such small and weak magnets. Perhaps bigger/stronger magnets would give more electricity, that would make sense.
Idea of it seems to be the magnetic flux flowing from one to another that produces electric current. How about RS explanation of this phenomenon or is it what I already described shortly just there? :D
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Permanent magnets as power source

Post by LoneBear » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:53 am

Ilkka wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:41 am
How about RS explanation of this phenomenon or is it what I already described shortly just there?
The RS explanation would be a hidden magnetic reed switch hooked to a battery, so when a magnet was brought close, the bulb would light. Rather convenient that it produces exactly 12 volts--the same voltage as a typical vehicle battery.

This is a scam video (if you notice, it is not classified as science, but "entertainment"). You can almost always tell the scammers because they have close-ups of hands/devices and never speak.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Re: Permanent magnets as power source

Post by Ilkka » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:45 pm

LoneBear wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:53 am
The RS explanation would be a hidden magnetic reed switch hooked to a battery, so when a magnet was brought close, the bulb would light. Rather convenient that it produces exactly 12 volts--the same voltage as a typical vehicle battery.

This is a scam video (if you notice, it is not classified as science, but "entertainment"). You can almost always tell the scammers because they have close-ups of hands/devices and never speak.
My little brother said as much also as he has studied electricity and automation. I thought there might be something going on with the ring magnet but I guess not.
Enjoy the Silence