Psychocartography

Forum for the sharing and discussion of various research projects going on.
Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Psychocartography

Post by Alluvion » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:44 pm

Working on my own at the moment, would like to suggest some strategies for consideration:

when mapping out using the matrix system, one can view the collection of personal symbols at various scales by mapping values/meanings onto the matrix. For example, in understanding (mainly) my dream symbols, I start with a 2d square with two sets of opposites: fear opposite love and strong opposite weak. This allows me to begin a simple distribution of symbols according to my emotional reactions and intellectual understanding of the meaning and value of the symbol. But its only the start, and a very basic way to begin understanding what the general distribution of the symbols.

During this process, I also came to realize that, and maybe this is just me, it is very difficult to tell what is and is not "a" symbol in a dream vs what is symbolic-complex (like a scene or an action in setting, flying over a city, being chased, etc). Right now my symbols consist mainly of things/objects/subjects and very few processes but those I am also starting to add in.
I am also finding some symbols have appeared linked in sequence in the past and so naturally they appear to attract to one another. This becomes interesting as one symbol may independently locate itself somewhere else in the matrix, but may be more intense in relationship to another symbol which is located elsewhere - in that case, the 'pull' between the two could be a source of redistribution and possible understanding. At this point I've come to assign 2 other dimensions to the symbols when working graphically:

scale (small, medium, large) could relate to symbolic value, understood or not. This provides a way to articulate the level of value attributed to content as perceived in the dream or by the intellect upon waking, etc (for example, the ocean is a large scale symbol for me given that its constantly, constantly in my dreams and my waking life experiences with the ocean, where as a symbol that has appeared once, like the grey aliens, to my memory would be small scale, even though my emotional reaction in the dream was strong and fear-oriented).

opacity (ghostly, translucent, opaque) could measure symbolic meaning, how familiar one is with the symbol, how much understanding one has of it. This could translate from how much one understands in the dream and how much one understanding in waking life as well.

Perhaps there should also be a way to notate a symbol which is mainly waking-oriented vs those which are mainly dream oriented. Currently I only have 1 waking symbol (sunflower which I saw in my imagination as a related to the self and an open heart chakra) among 52 dream symbols.

Diagrammatically, this produced a far more articulate field than basic positional relationships. I think this also plays into a mix between the matrix/process oriented methods of psychocartography and is extra dimensional, working with a 'language' which is more than 2dimensional ("Think like a Vegan!" to quote).

Looking up some basic image editing software now that would let a person drop various image files into a workspace, make these kinds of manipulations and print the sheet. No luck so far on freeware so and suggestions are appreciated.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Re: Psychocartography

Post by Arcelius » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:43 pm

Sounds like you are creating a rich symbol set. I don't know if you are familiar with mind mapping (graphical representation of thought processes). You may find use some software packages that will help. I doubt you will find something that is perfect for what you are looking for but these packages may help (do an internet search for mind mapping).

Good Luck

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:20 pm

Thanks! Looking it up now.

In doing this mapping I started by collecting images from a google search into a specific folder where I can look at all the images together. I've added some I've seen many times over the course of my life, that I could remember, some that I remembered but rarely saw, and others which have occurred recently but stuck out in my memory.

Last night I proceeded to actually draw out a terrain like map and locate various symbols within this specific terrain. I used the dream geographies and settings as a place to begin (for me, shorelines are a constant context) setting up a 'stage', and working intuively with the pencil (seems like I should extend the shore here, maybe a light house goes here, the waves need to crash on a shore like this in this place, that house needs to be farther from the water but farther from the city like areas, where would the whales go? what about the sexual imagery?) - and I just keep drawing over and over again, reflecting on the results of an inquiry, and then evaluating its overall 'rightness'. And thats an evaluation based more on intuition and feelings than pure intellect, but intellect seems to serve this process in a healthy way when one can relax into the playful mode of 'what if?' and then 'what still?'.

Its not that one should be able to draw perfectly, or draw the perfect image of their map - the important thing is not 'getting it perfect' (especially the first time). The important thing is the process of investigating.

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Gopi » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:53 pm

Alluvion wrote:During this process, I also came to realize that, and maybe this is just me, it is very difficult to tell what is and is not "a" symbol in a dream vs what is symbolic-complex (like a scene or an action in setting, flying over a city, being chased, etc). Right now my symbols consist mainly of things/objects/subjects and very few processes but those I am also starting to add in.
It might be useful to divide the representation into symbols and motifs, that would help with getting the symbols, and the "process" associated by a bunch of symbols, to their right places.
Alluvion wrote:Currently I only have 1 waking symbol (sunflower which I saw in my imagination as a related to the self and an open heart chakra) among 52 dream symbols.
It is possible that your ancestry and Mythos will help here... my symbol for individuality, the lotus (padma) is a direct download of the ancestral idea of the Lotus, something the blooms in the gloomiest of places, out from the water (unconscious).

Sounds like a very healthy process has been started. Have fun!
It is time.

animus
Centurio
Centurio

Post by animus » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:28 pm

Does anybody know what happened to Alluvion that he isn't active in this forum anymore? I'd really like to hear of his progress in his psychocartography. I also read his thread on symbol sets and he seemed really into it for finding the best way possible to map and categorize his symbols.

I'd like to start with my own psychocartography but am afraid it'll be very time consuming and wanted to ask those of you who do this on a regularly basis how much time spent with that on average?
Last year I recorded my dreams for 2 months in spring, then paused, and continued for 3 weeks in fall. I spoke into my recorder for up to 45min per night without pause with an average of ~15min. But adding just as much time for the thinking/remembering part and then on top of that trying to structurally map all these details, I bet half my morning will be spent for the rest of my life. I stopped the recording because I had no idea how to analyse my dreams and wanted to learn about symbolism first because otherwise it seemed like a waste of time. Although, thanks to the recording, i.e. the bridging of consciousness and uncounscious, I might have had my first OBE (same night where I set the 45min record). Not quite sure though.

Gopi wrote:
Alluvion wrote:During this process, I also came to realize that, and maybe this is just me, it is very difficult to tell what is and is not "a" symbol in a dream vs what is symbolic-complex (like a scene or an action in setting, flying over a city, being chased, etc). Right now my symbols consist mainly of things/objects/subjects and very few processes but those I am also starting to add in.
It might be useful to divide the representation into symbols and motifs, that would help with getting the symbols, and the "process" associated by a bunch of symbols, to their right places.
Good advice! Now where do I begin when trying to understand my own symbolism? Do I have to find out my ancestry first?

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:33 pm

Wow, you have long dreams... my recordings are seldom over a couple of minutes, though I just put the highlights on the recorder to act as an index to remind me of what the dream was about. After I wake and listen to what I put on the recorder, I can usually remember the dream in its entirety.

Psychocartography does not take much time. All you need to do is to create two things: a map of your dreamscape and the charged symbols in the dream.

For dreamscape, just a quick sketch in your journal, or a note indicating a place you are familiar with (like "my grandparents house"). Do a sketch for unfamiliar territory.

For symbols, anything with emotional content as that will be projection, identification or transference. And that goes for either positive or negative emotions. Reading a dream log, you can usually pick these out pretty quick.

Keep in mind that symbols and terrain are connected, just like rotation and location define an atom in the RS. When you are getting started, the symbol is only applicable in the terrain and may mean something else in different terrain, since the terrain means a different part of your dreamscape, with different influences upon it.

You need a good amount of data to map out your psyche, as it is contiguous in time, not space, so dreams seldom occur sequentially (it may seem you bounce all over your dreamscape, over the course of a month, but that is an artifact of the way nonlocality is expressed to a clock-time based consciousness. As Nehru put it, "discontiguous in the time of the reference system.")

Once you have enough pieces of the puzzle, you will start to see how things connect together--doesn't require much effort, but a lot of patience. Once you have some pieces assembled, then you can see how the symbols have interplayed on the terrain. Once you have several aspects of a symbol, it is fairly easy to uncover the mythological archetype beneath it, particularly with the Internet search engines available today.
4 8 15 16 23 42

animus
Centurio
Centurio

Post by animus » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:13 pm

LoneBear wrote:Wow, you have long dreams...
Either that or I just sleep a lot :D The one with the 45min has actually to be split in two because I woke up after 5hrs, recorded, and slept for another 5hrs with an intense hypnopompic phase in the end. I don't always sleep 10hrs though.
LoneBear wrote: my recordings are seldom over a couple of minutes, though I just put the highlights on the recorder to act as an index to remind me of what the dream was about. After I wake and listen to what I put on the recorder, I can usually remember the dream in its entirety.
It is the verbalizing after waking up that makes my unconscious memories stick to my waking state, so the more details I speak the better I remember the dream afterwards. I wrote keywords of the dream in the filename of the recordings (max. 200 letters) so I won't need to listen to all the recordings. And I can easily remember all of my recorded dreams by merely reading the keywords.
LoneBear wrote: Once you have enough pieces of the puzzle, you will start to see how things connect together--doesn't require much effort, but a lot of patience. Once you have some pieces assembled, then you can see how the symbols have interplayed on the terrain. Once you have several aspects of a symbol, it is fairly easy to uncover the mythological archetype beneath it, particularly with the Internet search engines available today.
I guess, thats what I needed to hear. So it's advisable after all to first record a number of dreams and in the end the symbols and motifs will become self-evident. Then I shouldn't have stopped, huh. I do regret it, too. So many "memories" missed. Last year I'd always get upset when I skipped the recording for only one day.