Westworld

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Westworld

Post by Djchrismac » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:20 pm

After delaying advice from a few friends who had been telling me to watch this for some time now, I finally decided to see what Westworld was all about... now I also know why I waited so long to do so as it turns out that it covers a lot of recent discussions on the fora about AI, virtual worlds, the matrix, playing god, video games and much more.

I assume nobody else has watched it or there would have been a topic on it already. It's a bit like Red Dead Redemption crossed with Blade Runner and Groundhog Day, that might sound a bit crazy but it works very well.

I'm only 4 episodes in so far but it is gripping stuff and raises lots of moral questions throughout regarding evolution and consciousness, programming and manipulation, power and control, right and wrong. I don't want to give too much away for the benefit of those who have yet to watch it but I highly recommend it.

Some of the humour is really good, such as modern songs being used as a piano track in a saloon. The characters and actors have been excellent so far too, with the classic mysterious man in black who is chasing some other agenda providing a lot of intrigue.

I'll leave you with this quote from Anthony Hopkins from the second episode...

"Everything in this world is magic, except to the magician."
Jones: [looks at Sallah] You said their headpiece only had markings on one side, are you absolutely sure? [Sallah nods] Belloq's staff is too long.
Jones and Sallah: They're digging in the wrong place!

daniel
Centurio
Centurio

Re: Westworld

Post by daniel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:27 pm

I saw the original film back in 1973; did not know they revived it and made it into a series.
Don't ever trust the people that claim the right to rule you. --Larken Rose
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/daniel.phoenixiii

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: Westworld

Post by Djchrismac » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:02 am

daniel wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:27 pm
I saw the original film back in 1973; did not know they revived it and made it into a series.
Somehow the original film passed me by which is unusual as I liked most good sci-fi and obscure movies when I was younger but a friend who's seen both says it is well worth a watch and also recommends the new series as do I.

We're still only 4 episodes in but lots has happened so far and we should manage to watch a few more later this week.
Jones: [looks at Sallah] You said their headpiece only had markings on one side, are you absolutely sure? [Sallah nods] Belloq's staff is too long.
Jones and Sallah: They're digging in the wrong place!