Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:18 pm

I finally got to see Avatar. Interesting film; I bet it was really good in 3D at the theater. Loved the night scenes with all the foliage that glowed.

In summary:

War-mongering alien colonists (humans) arrive on a planet (Pandora) inhabited by strange creatures that are very "in tune" with Nature (Na'vi), to exploit the mineral resources of the planet. One of the group (Jake Sully) turns against his commander (Colonel Quaritch), gets to know the inhabitants and ends up being their protector, with the help of a medical officer (Dr. Grace Augustine). The humans are eventually defeated in a big battle and kicked off the planet.

Anyone notice a familiar plot line?

War-mongering alien colonists (Annunaki SMs) arrive on a planet (Tiamat) inhabited by strange creatures that are very "in tune" with Nature (LMs), to exploit the mineral resources of the planet. One of the group (Enki) turns against his commander (Enlil), gets to know the inhabitants and ends up being their protector, with the help of a medical officer (Ninhursag). The SMs are eventually defeated in a big battle and kicked off the planet.

Not to mention other similarities, like genetically engineering the native inhabitant for their own purpose, training them in a "guarded enclosure" (Garden of E-DIN) of the base (Sumer); having a second outpost up on those floating rocks (the original base for the rebels SMs, Atlantis), which got moved to the LM rebel encampment, the Tree of Souls (Agartha).

Given the impact this film had on people, as well as three Oscars... I think you can see the inference from daniel's papers on the subject--people remember what happened HERE, and know it when they see it.

MrTwig
Centurio
Centurio

Re: Avatar

Post by MrTwig » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:06 pm

LoneBear wrote:I finally got to see Avatar. Interesting film; I bet it was really good in 3D at the theater. Loved the night scenes with all the foliage that glowed.

In summary:

War-mongering alien colonists (humans) arrive on a planet (Pandora) inhabited by strange creatures that are very "in tune" with Nature (Na'vi), to exploit the mineral resources of the planet. One of the group (Jake Sully) turns against his commander (Colonel Quaritch), gets to know the inhabitants and ends up being their protector, with the help of a medical officer (Dr. Grace Augustine). The humans are eventually defeated in a big battle and kicked off the planet.

Anyone notice a familiar plot line?

War-mongering alien colonists (Annunaki SMs) arrive on a planet (Tiamat) inhabited by strange creatures that are very "in tune" with Nature (LMs), to exploit the mineral resources of the planet. One of the group (Enki) turns against his commander (Enlil), gets to know the inhabitants and ends up being their protector, with the help of a medical officer (Ninhursag). The SMs are eventually defeated in a big battle and kicked off the planet.

Not to mention other similarities, like genetically engineering the native inhabitant for their own purpose, training them in a "guarded enclosure" (Garden of E-DIN) of the base (Sumer); having a second outpost up on those floating rocks (the original base for the rebels SMs, Atlantis), which got moved to the LM rebel encampment, the Tree of Souls (Agartha).

Given the impact this film had on people, as well as three Oscars... I think you can see the inference from daniel's papers on the subject--people remember what happened HERE, and know it when they see it.
Yes! I saw it too. They reverse the size of the beings though because the original inhabitants were much taller than the humans. Notice the ability to communicate by "connecting" to other through a head attachment. Kind of like telepathy.

The idea of Avatar is very strong now because of the computer games and the virtual reality. I found it thrilling to follow the scenery even without the 3D effect. Imagine this for real!

Right now I am watching Star Trek: The Next Generation with the episode "The Next Phase" on the BBCA channel. It is about phasing and the cloaking device on a Romulan ship. Jordy and Ro were phased in a transporter accident. It is amazing the timing of this because of the virtual reality type settings. Ro thought they were dead but Jordy thought that something scientific had happen because of all his technical knowledge. I see Daniel's papers as the technical knowledge we need to figure out what is really going on and your experiences to learn to break free of wrong beliefs.

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:43 pm

I have seen Avatar also. I havent seen Pocahontas, but the story is similar that I've heard.
Enjoy the Silence

dave432
Centurio
Centurio

Post by dave432 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:36 pm

LoneBear wrote: War-mongering alien colonists (Annunaki SMs) arrive on a planet (Tiamat) inhabited by strange creatures that are very "in tune" with Nature (LMs), to exploit the mineral resources of the planet. One of the group (Enki) turns against his commander (Enlil), gets to know the inhabitants and ends up being their protector, with the help of a medical officer (Ninhursag). The SMs are eventually defeated in a big battle and kicked off the planet.

Thanks for this analysis. It really helped me to see the film differently. I was thinking more in line with a future colonization of another world which is where the movie steers us, but the symbolic correspondences with our Annunaki past are clearly allegorical.
"just down the road a little way, turn left, cross the drawbridge, and you will be my guest tonight."
-- directions to the grail castle. We'll have some toast.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:13 am

dave432 wrote:Thanks for this analysis. It really helped me to see the film differently. I was thinking more in line with a future colonization of another world which is where the movie steers us, but the symbolic correspondences with our Annunaki past are clearly allegorical.
Something else to consider is that Avatar, like all the other radio and TV transmissions, have been broadcast out into space, for other intelligent life to see.

So is it any wonder that humanity has such a "bad rep" in this part of the Universe?

Juanter
Indagator
Indagator

Post by Juanter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:45 am

Interesting. I just re-watched Jim henson's "the dark crystal" a few nights ago. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid. Like avatar it is jam packed with information. I especially enjoyed how the lm used harmonics and that the sm couldn't reincarnate on their own so had to drink the lm life essence to survive.