Lawnmower Man I & II

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
deepfsh
Cellarius
Cellarius

Lawnmower Man I & II

Post by deepfsh » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:15 am

Seems and sounds familiar ...
"You talk the talk ... do you walk the walk?" Kubrick, Full Metal Jacket

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Re: Lawnmower Man I & II

Post by joeyv23 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:24 pm

Excellent movies! Have you watched these yet? I'm realizing how fortunate I was to have a dad who's into sci-fi. I remember watching this movie when I was young, it fascinated me, not to mention the main character had my name which made it extra special. Ever since I saw the first part I've been waiting on all the phones to start ringing. He said that's how we'd know. 8)
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

deepfsh
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by deepfsh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:58 am

joeyv23 wrote:Excellent movies! Have you watched these yet?
No, not yet. I found out about them while watching one of the "underground" videos about Montauk projects - Nichols was talking about something and said "like in the Lawnmower Man".

I can see the movies are replete with well-known esoteric symbols (Masonic square and compass), terms ("new world order"), transhumanist philosophy (God made him simple. Science made him a God [1]), and deal with time travel and mind control.
joeyv23 wrote:I remember watching this movie when I was young
My best "sci-fi" were the X-Files - you just couldn't deny those things, and it was so mysterious (not to mention the legendary soundtrack!). I didn't like Stargate SG-1 for example, because I thought to myself (I'm paraphrasing): "Again all those guns and ammo - they're exporting it even to space now. Nothing new, it bores me..."
Last edited by deepfsh on Thu May 01, 2014 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:08 am

deepfsh wrote:My best "sci-fi" were the X-Files - you just couldn't deny those things, and it was so mysterious (not to mention the legendary soundtrack!). I didn't like Stargate SG-1 for example, because I thought to myself (I'm paraphrasing): "Again all those guns and ammo - they're exporting it even in space now. Nothing new, it bores me..."
Watched a LOT of X-Files with Dad back in the day. I didn't get into SG-1 as much as he did, but I think it's because I didn't understand the back story at the time. I did like Atlantis though, in large part to the design work of the city itself.

Then there was Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire, which caught my fascination because of the inclusion of crystal technology. Between that and Treasure Planet, Disney's futuristic take of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island I had plenty of non-conforming thought-forms floating around in my head that made me into who I am today. I even joined the Navy, in large part due to the influence that Treasure Planet had on me. What's always gotten me about this movie, is the use of a golden sphere as a map, that was opened in a strikingly similar fashion to The Lament Configuration of the Hellraiser movie franchise. Upon arrival of the X that marks the spot of the treasure, the sphere is used as a key to open up a portal technology that Captain Flint used to raid different planets of their riches.

The Lament Configuration

Treasure Planet Map
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

deepfsh
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by deepfsh » Thu May 01, 2014 3:45 am

joeyv23 wrote:the use of a golden sphere as a map, that was opened in a strikingly similar fashion to The Lament Configuration of the Hellraiser
The cube from Hellraiser reminds me on the device the Ghostbusters used to trap ghosts and other entities with the help of electricity.
joeyv23 wrote:Hellraiser movie franchise
Wow, I didn't know there are 8 sequels to the original, according to Wikipedia.