The 100

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

The 100

Post by Ilkka » Sat May 10, 2014 9:54 am

Show called "The 100" is quite interesting so far and I has been renewed so there is going to be next season aswell, even though first season hasnt ended yet. Although it is typical show for "young and restless" much like the new Tomorrow People show, but I like to see where it is going.
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: The 100

Post by LoneBear » Sat May 10, 2014 10:03 am

Isn't it more like "The 92" now... they manage to kill one or more of the "100" in just about every episode!

I'm rooting for the "grounders"... who wants this space station scum back on Earth?!
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Sun May 11, 2014 2:19 am

LoneBear wrote:Isn't it more like "The 92" now... they manage to kill one or more of the "100" in just about every episode!

I'm rooting for the "grounders"... who wants this space station scum back on Earth?!
Very true. I see this series as similar to the post-apocalyptic game I liked to play (alot) "Fallout" franchise. The space-station people seems similar to the Vault-dwellers from the Fallout game, the story here seems the same, exept all the fancy laser weapons and such.
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sun May 11, 2014 9:16 am

If you notice, just like the "re-envisioned" Tomorrow People, mankind has not grown ethically. If anything, they have devolved in ethical consciousness, becoming more barbaric. (Grounders, the 100 and space station personnel all included.) The only decent moment the show had was when their plot to kill 300 people (necessary because of the air shortage) got exposed--rather than a rebellion, they had ample people volunteer to die, so others could live. Of course, I didn't see the ruling class at the head of that list ...

Having spent a lot of time in the wilderness, their scenario is totally unrealistic. Do you know how much food and water that 100 people consume a day? Not to mention sanitary facilities... probably getting pretty smelly around there now! :D

When it comes to survival and cooperation in a survival system, the early episodes of Gilligan's Island teach a lot more...! (Of course, the Professor was my hero back then. Russell Johnson kept his character alive for kids all over the world, up until he died last January. Sad to see him go, as he really cared about kids making use of their minds.)

DSKlausler
Centurio
Centurio

Post by DSKlausler » Mon May 12, 2014 7:56 am

LoneBear wrote: Having spent a lot of time in the wilderness, their scenario is totally unrealistic. Do you know how much food and water that 100 people consume a day? Not to mention sanitary facilities...
Good morning LoneBear,

That is funny, until you've carried that stuff on your back, or [truly] disposed of your own waste, you have no idea. Even the water handling/requirements.

I have seen several references to your affinity for the outdoors. Although I currently dwell here in the suburbs, I have camped and hiked nearly my entire life. I currently backpack in your beautiful homestate regularly (but not really often) - next time will be in early July (High Uintas). Most often in the Winds of Wyoming. My property searches span several of the mountainous (or at least hilly) states - but I always check Wyoming and Montana first, followed by Idaho (along the Salmon). Good stuff in UT seems hard to find, too dry, or too small.

Anyway, I am intereested to hear more of your "story," if you'd care to share. If you already have, please redirect me.

Thanks,

Dave
Last edited by DSKlausler on Mon May 12, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anything is possible with the proper training.

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Mon May 12, 2014 10:56 am

LoneBear wrote:Having spent a lot of time in the wilderness, their scenario is totally unrealistic. Do you know how much food and water that 100 people consume a day? Not to mention sanitary facilities... probably getting pretty smelly around there now!
Oh, I bet if it comes to that question they will have someone who knows about hygiene so much that they dont worry about showing it on telly. I havent been living in wilderness myself at all, but in theory I could survive with all the stuff that is required in there though :D

Was in the finnish army for 6 months and we were also camping sleeping in tents and took turns to keep up the fire in the "stove" (the usual heater in army gear). Although we had an outhouse so no need to dig a hole and shit in it, as otherwise would be best to do I think. Also we dont have so much concrete in this country, it is a bit boring just alots of trees and lakes, not much of mountains the biggest fjolls can be found in Lapland.

But lets get back to the show. I think that those "acid storms" are soooo lame very stupid idea, because of the acid part in it. What you think, all who watch this show?
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:41 pm

Ilkka wrote:But lets get back to the show. I think that those "acid storms" are soooo lame very stupid idea, because of the acid part in it. What you think, all who watch this show?
The show made it to the 2nd season, where they brought the Ark down (interesting choice of name) and crash-landed it on Earth, so now all the sky people are on the ground. I noticed that they did drop the whole acid storm thing.

Finally got to meet the people of Mount Weather... what looked like a Utopian survival camp with all the amenities turned out to be... guess what? As if you have to guess with filmmakers involved.

I believe the original 100 are now down to about 53 after the 1st season.

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:51 am

LoneBear wrote:I noticed that they did drop the whole acid storm thing.

Finally got to meet the people of Mount Weather... what looked like a Utopian survival camp with all the amenities turned out to be... guess what? As if you have to guess with filmmakers involved.

I believe the original 100 are now down to about 53 after the 1st season.
I noticed that too, maybe its just a regional thing, originating from some yet undiscovered source, maybe on top of Mount Weather even when the wind is right. :D

Mount Weather people are interesting though, in terms of the high sensitivity to radiation, which might even be bogus to begin with, since all radiation from the ground up. Unless the underground base is totally radiation shielded even from the ground itself.
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:00 am

Ilkka wrote:Mount Weather people are interesting though, in terms of the high sensitivity to radiation, which might even be bogus to begin with, since all radiation from the ground up. Unless the underground base is totally radiation shielded even from the ground itself.
That is probably the case, as it was built as some kind of nuclear fallout shelter. There is also that subtle little "geoengineering" aspect there--the grounders and sky people "updated" as the environment changed; the grounders from nuclear fallout and the sky people from solar radiation. The Mount Weather people, hidden behind their shields, are no longer compatible with the Earth's environment and are pretty much stuck in their DUMB biosphere. Hello chemtrails!

I do think the show sends an interesting message out into the Universe... if you notice, all the "sky people" (humans) are violent, deceitful, ego-centered and ignore common sense for emotional outbursts, yet the mutant "grounders" are the ones--though billed as violent--that are actually sensible, have a stable society and a code of honor and ethics. Or at least did, until the humans wiped most of them out using their technology.

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:41 am

LoneBear wrote:
Ilkka wrote:Mount Weather people are interesting though, in terms of the high sensitivity to radiation, which might even be bogus to begin with, since all radiation from the ground up. Unless the underground base is totally radiation shielded even from the ground itself.
That is probably the case, as it was built as some kind of nuclear fallout shelter. There is also that subtle little "geoengineering" aspect there--the grounders and sky people "updated" as the environment changed; the grounders from nuclear fallout and the sky people from solar radiation. The Mount Weather people, hidden behind their shields, are no longer compatible with the Earth's environment and are pretty much stuck in their DUMB biosphere. Hello chemtrails!

I do think the show sends an interesting message out into the Universe... if you notice, all the "sky people" (humans) are violent, deceitful, ego-centered and ignore common sense for emotional outbursts, yet the mutant "grounders" are the ones--though billed as violent--that are actually sensible, have a stable society and a code of honor and ethics. Or at least did, until the humans wiped most of them out using their technology.
I gotta say this. Before I wrote my previous post I hadn't seen the latest episode (S2 E6). It turns out I was right on few things, or atleast one the "acid fog" being a weapon, hows that for premonition :D

Sorry for spoilers, but I think you guys (especially LB) would've expected it from those kinds of people and these kind of series :D
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:43 am

Ilkka wrote:I gotta say this. Before I wrote my previous post I hadn't seen the latest episode (S2 E6). It turns out I was right on few things, or atleast one the "acid fog" being a weapon, hows that for premonition :D
I just saw that episode last night, too. Good call! You'll be writing for Hollywood in no time! :)

There is really not much to "spoil" in this series. It's not like they are covering major philosophical or spiritual issues... they just run around killing each other off in blood baths (and the characters seem to always be covered in blood...)

I do notice how they avoid all the basic survival issues, such as food, water, clothing, sanitation and shelter. If this were "real," they all would have been dead from starvation, malnutrition, disease and injury a month after landing. I have yet to figure out what the overall plot of the series is, if there actually is one. All they ever seem to do is run around rescuing each other, killing more innocents in the process to cause retribution, get captured, so they can rescue each other again next week.

At least the grounders gave the sky people an ultimatum... leave or die. Maybe a message to the Annunaki-descended sky people ruling the world today.

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:44 pm

LoneBear wrote:There is really not much to "spoil" in this series. It's not like they are covering major philosophical or spiritual issues... they just run around killing each other off in blood baths (and the characters seem to always be covered in blood...)

I do notice how they avoid all the basic survival issues, such as food, water, clothing, sanitation and shelter. If this were "real," they all would have been dead from starvation, malnutrition, disease and injury a month after landing. I have yet to figure out what the overall plot of the series is, if there actually is one. All they ever seem to do is run around rescuing each other, killing more innocents in the process to cause retribution, get captured, so they can rescue each other again next week.

At least the grounders gave the sky people an ultimatum... leave or die. Maybe a message to the Annunaki-descended sky people ruling the world today.
True that there is not much to spoil :D

Lets see how the sky people will fight against the grounders. They won't leave thats for sure, maybe they ally with the Mount Weather people even, a plot twist. Maybe the sky people are going to have reinforcements from other "arks". I noticed that each "faction" grounders, mountain men and sky people are at war against each other.
Enjoy the Silence

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:20 am

Fun fact about the series new season especially.

Lipstick. Where do they find lipgloss/lipstick etc. I know that face paint is fairly easy but, lipstick might be challenging to make.

This made me think about the shoes of the Wraith in Stargate Atlantis and their overall leather clothing, which is hilarious to think that there would be a wraith that makes them clothing.

Back to The 100. Buildings that are still standing and look like they have already seen a nuclear blast at close proximity. One still there which is a place that I would not go into. Unlikely I think. Or just very lucky building.
Enjoy the Silence