Babylon 5 - lessons learned

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Babylon 5 - lessons learned

Post by Billy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:16 am

Well, I've finished watching the first two seasons of Babylon 5, and have started in on episode 1 of the 3rd season. A few thoughts...

*Favorite scene: Undoubtedly, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhD0hbGEDSU AMAZING writing. Of course, I first found out about this scene through the daniel papers. "Pain comes as part of the process of constantly being reborn." And so I find myself in the midst of this now. "Sometimes the Universe requires a change of perspective." This lies at the heart of the decisions that I am now making. Among my favorite characters in this series are those of the Minbari Religious Caste: Deleen, Lennier, Draal. They exhibit tremendous wisdom, and common sense. I would welcome the opportunity to sit and converse with them. It is as if these characters are the precursors to the Vorlons. Kosh himself displays a level of wisdom that goes beyond even the Minbari. He speaks in short, succinct lines; saying all that needs to be said in a few words. While Sheridan often has a hard time following, Deleen does indeed understand; at least to a point, and in her own way.

A close second:

Delenn's interrogation at the hands of the Inquisitor - this one really made me sit back and think. Of all the characters in this show, you would think that Deleen is the one whose role in all of this would go unquestioned. She believes herself to be "in the right place, at the right time"; until Kosh steps forward and questions this. Of course, based upon a statement made by the Inquisitor, the interrogation session wasn't meant for Deleen alone, but Sheridan as well, as Kosh understands full well the underlying feelings of attraction that they share for one another.

What really got me thinking were the nature of the questions asked by the Inquisitor: "Who are you, and what makes you think that you are meant to be here, now, in this place, telling yourself that you are in the right place at the right time, ready to face that which lies ahead? By what right do you make such a claim?" This cuts to the very core of what it means to be a sentient being; to take on the task of being a part of something that will have profound reverberations within the underlying structures of the Universe, thus affecting the lives of countless others. The mere answer of, "because I'm a good and well intentioned person" doesn't cut it here. I imagined myself in that room, shackled, tested. What answers would I give? "Who are you? By what right do you claim to be one whom is fit for such a task as this? Are your responses driven by your ego? If not, then tell me WHY." And her final answer was, at least in part, the very same one that came to my mind as I watched the scene, putting myself in her shoes; anxious as to why it was that she could not answer the questions, failing to understand the nature of the test, until such a time as someone for whom she cared was pushed to the brink: "I care nothing for being remembered. I am prepared to die alone, to let go in those final moments. It is the IDEA that matters. I do not want my name to be etched into stone. I want to lay down footprints in which others can follow. I want to preserve wisdom. I want to leave behind something tangible, as a sign of hope that my species may become ethical explorers of the Universe. I want to leave behind a new definition of love, a new definition of life itself. This is my role, and this is my purpose."

*Favorite line: Ivanova's final line from Season 2 - "Peace is another word for surrender, and secrets have a way of getting out." With their actions, it is plain to see what the 'Ministry of Peace' is getting at. This, to my mind, lies at the heart of the NWO being built up all around us. At this current moment in time, we are experiencing chaos. It is a period of immense transition. Yet at the other end lies a new era of 'peace'; at any cost. As part of this 'peace', all original thought will be bred right out of humanity. They will become mere automatons, who do not remember what the word 'sovereignty' means; though they will believe that they have a very good grasp on the subject. They will never question, for such a thing will be taught to them as being 'wrong thinking'. Right now, we have a new breed of Stasi in place, but dare I say that in the future, they may not be needed. It will perhaps be akin to what Bill Cooper wrote in response to a scene from what I believe to be 2001: Space Odyssey, in which a traveler returns from a 'future' destination. When asked what it looked like there in that 'future' place, he remarked, "It was magnificent!" I suppose that's one way of viewing the Shadows...

In regards to the latter of these two lines of dialogue: It was a reminder to me as to why the idea of sharing most of what we know in a public platform is so very important. Our world has become a vast conundrum of 'secrets'. Perhaps it's time we stopped repressing the truer nature of life, and started sharing it, openly, in all its wonder and intrigue. The Universe is 'subtle', but it's not 'secret'. That's a man-made archetype.

And as a note: I kindly request that no one give anything away concerning the unfolding plotlines of the show :wink: I've already found out too much...

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Babylon 5 - lessons learned

Post by LoneBear » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:20 pm

Billy wrote:*Favorite scene: Undoubtedly, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhD0hbGEDSU AMAZING writing.
My particular favorite, from Season 1:

Billy wrote:Of course, I first found out about this scene through the daniel papers. "Pain comes as part of the process of constantly being reborn." And so I find myself in the midst of this now. "Sometimes the Universe requires a change of perspective." This lies at the heart of the decisions that I am now making.
Yes.
Billy wrote:*Favorite line: Ivanova's final line from Season 2 - "Peace is another word for surrender, and secrets have a way of getting out." With their actions, it is plain to see what the 'Ministry of Peace' is getting at. This, to my mind, lies at the heart of the NWO being built up all around us.
They are alone. They are a dying race. We should let them pass.
Billy wrote:When asked what it looked like there in that 'future' place, he remarked, "It was magnificent!" I suppose that's one way of viewing the Shadows...
Good.
Billy wrote:In regards to the latter of these two lines of dialogue: It was a reminder to me as to why the idea of sharing most of what we know in a public platform is so very important. Our world has become a vast conundrum of 'secrets'. Perhaps it's time we stopped repressing the truer nature of life, and started sharing it, openly, in all its wonder and intrigue. The Universe is 'subtle', but it's not 'secret'. That's a man-made archetype.
You will know, if you survive.
Billy wrote:And as a note: I kindly request that no one give anything away concerning the unfolding plotlines of the show :wink: I've already found out too much...
Code 7R.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.