Stargate SG-1

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
Post Reply
User avatar
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis
Posts: 3949
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:38 am
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Contact:

Stargate SG-1

Post by LoneBear » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:04 pm

The new episode of Stargate SG-1 was quite interesting; we have now discovered what appears to be the big, 5th density groups: the Ancients (STO) and the Ori (STS). Curious how close the name "Ori" is to "Ori-on", isn't it? The Ori appear to be the "Space Pirates" that Q'uo mentioned during the "time lateral" session.

The Ori Prior has obvious psychic skills; telekinesis being the most noted. This would place them in the 4th density classification. Obvious by their absence are the STO equivalent of Priors... no 4th density humans on the STO path...

The Ori are also out to destroy the Ancients (our lot!). A curious plot twist, because the two groups exist in reciprocal relation, and darkness cannot exist without light. They destroy the Ancients, and they destroy themselves. It will be interesting to see how the plot line develops.

User avatar
lvx08
Centurio
Centurio
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:40 pm

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by lvx08 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:07 am

LoneBear wrote:The new episode of Stargate SG-1 was quite interesting; we have now discovered what appears to be the big, 5th density groups: the Ancients (STO) and the Ori (STS). Curious how close the name "Ori" is to "Ori-on", isn't it? The Ori appear to be the "Space Pirates" that Q'uo mentioned during the "time lateral" session.

The Ori Prior has obvious psychic skills; telekinesis being the most noted. This would place them in the 4th density classification. Obvious by their absence are the STO equivalent of Priors... no 4th density humans on the STO path...

The Ori are also out to destroy the Ancients (our lot!). A curious plot twist, because the two groups exist in reciprocal relation, and darkness cannot exist without light. They destroy the Ancients, and they destroy themselves. It will be interesting to see how the plot line develops.
I guess you are talking about series 9. Hasnt started here yet, but I know a few people who are looking forward to it. Bring on internet TV

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis
Posts: 1125
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:37 pm

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by Alluvion » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:28 am

very interesting in deed, some are tapping in then.

-a

User avatar
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis
Posts: 3949
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:38 am
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Contact:

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by LoneBear » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:48 am

lvx08 wrote:I guess you are talking about series 9. Hasnt started here yet, but I know a few people who are looking forward to it. Bring on internet TV
Yes, Season 9. IMHO, the best season yet, as it concerns some major philosophical issues concerning the nature of free will, good versus evil, and the concepts of the Pythgorean "Y" -- the easy path (the Ori "Book of Origin") and the rough path (the Ancients and their non-interference).

Of course, there are a lot of fans who are upset with too much plot and character develoment, and miss the good 'ole days of Goa'uld violence and cool spaceship CGI.

You are probably aware that they imported two Farscape actors, Ben Browden and Claudia Black. Browden tries to do an O'Neil-type character, but lacks the interaction with Teal'C to pull it off. But Black's character, Vala, is one of the best characters I've seen in a long time. You've met her in an earlier season, where she stole the Prometheus and got involved with Daniel Jackson.

User avatar
lvx08
Centurio
Centurio
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:40 pm

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by lvx08 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:37 pm

LoneBear wrote:Yes, Season 9. IMHO, the best season yet, as it concerns some major philosophical issues concerning the nature of free will, good versus evil, and the concepts of the Pythgorean "Y" -- the easy path (the Ori "Book of Origin") and the rough path (the Ancients and their non-interference).

Of course, there are a lot of fans who are upset with too much plot and character develoment, and miss the good 'ole days of Goa'uld violence and cool spaceship CGI.

You are probably aware that they imported two Farscape actors, Ben Browden and Claudia Black. Browden tries to do an O'Neil-type character, but lacks the interaction with Teal'C to pull it off. But Black's character, Vala, is one of the best characters I've seen in a long time. You've met her in an earlier season, where she stole the Prometheus and got involved with Daniel Jackson.
Sounds good! Vala was a great character. Also good to hear that the script writers have moved away from the Goa'uld story. They apparently thought they had to wind it up at the end of series 8 which is why a few major characters had been written out. Guess that gave them a clean slate to pursue other story arcs.

User avatar
Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:58 am
Location: Salt Lake City
Contact:

Quotes

Post by Gopi » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:58 am

Some of my favourite quotes:

Teal'c: To resist the influence of others, it is important to first know who you are.

O'Neill: Ah. *raises eyebrows*. Sweet.

Carter: If we don't make it...
O'Neill: Carter!
Carter: But...
O'Neill: We will.

Nox: [after entering the stargate and seeingthe pointed guns] Your race hasn't learnt anything!

And,
Vala: Yaay! Let's make babies!
It is time.

User avatar
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis
Posts: 3949
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:38 am
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Contact:

Re: Quotes

Post by LoneBear » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:56 am

Stargate just aired their 200th episode here in America. It was a bit different from a regular episode, done with a comical twist. The Farscape zingers had me rolling on the floor! (In case you don't know, Farscape was another big Sci-Fi series starring Ben Browder and Claudia Black, whom are now major characters on Stargate SG-1).

Favorite quote:
Asgard High Commander: "Frel!"

Starlight*
Cellarius
Cellarius
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:50 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Stargate SG-1

Post by Starlight* » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:38 pm

Daniel: (quoting) 'The universe is infinite.'
Vala: No doubt it's deliberately ironic that we're in an ever decreasing space.

Vala: ...and then I told her to go procreate...with herself.

(after hearing the ceiling stop)
Daniel: Teal'c!
Vala: Look, I didn't hear any screaming or squishing sounds, so...

Daniel: Isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget is so we can meet new races, gather advanced technology – possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
Vala: Oh come on – you do it to meet women.

*******

User avatar
BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:33 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

200th

Post by BlueEagle » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:42 pm

The 200th episode was hilarious. Loved all of it.

User avatar
Eccles
Cellarius
Cellarius
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:00 am
Location: Vermont

Orion

Post by Eccles » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:00 am

Today's wiki wrote:In June 2006 NASA designated two "notional" names, Altair and Artemis, for the CEV's CSM and LSAM component spacecraft respectively. However, on July 20, 2006, it was reported that NASA had applied for trademark protection for the name "Orion" as both the name of the CEV spacecraft as a whole and as the name of its overall project to return to the moon. Astronaut Jeff Williams confirmed this name in a communication from the International Space Station on August 22, 2006.

Further revisions in nomenclature by NASA are likely before the rollout of the first actual CEV.

As of July, 2006, the names chosen for the Constellation project are:

Constellation: The program of the United States government tasked with manned exploration and settlement of the moon, Mars, and beyond.
Orion: Crew Exploration Vehicle (CEV) manned multirole spacecraft.
Artemis (notional): Lunar Surface Access Module (LSAM, a component of the Orion CEV).
Ares V: Heavy-lift cargo launch vehicle.
Ares I (aka "the Stick"): Medium-lift crew/cargo launch vehicle
Yesterday, I heard on the radio that Jeff Williams slipped up and named the project and spacecraft for NASA's next trip to the moon "Orion". It makes you wonder who'll be going to, much less arriving at, in 2010.

That wiki editor is up-to-speed; this URL was updated yesterday.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crew_Exploration_Vehicle

User avatar
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis
Posts: 3949
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:38 am
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Contact:

Stargate SG-1: The Ark of Truth

Post by LoneBear » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:52 pm

I just saw the latest Stargate film, "The Ark of Truth"... quite good, and pretty much ties up all the loose ends that were left when the series finished.

I'd like to drop that Ark off in Washington, DC, and see what happens. Could you imagine what politicians would do if they suddenly realized the "truth" behind their actions?

Good film; I recommend it. Makes you think.

Post Reply