Kheb: Conscious Evolution

Discussion of the basic concepts and philosophy behind the idea of a Sanctuary; a place where those exhibiting traits of the next generation of man can meet and learn, without prejudice or bias.
Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Kheb: Conscious Evolution

Post by Gopi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:23 am

The first principle of the Sanctuary.

Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mahatma Gandhi

The primary requirement for starting up a project would be the understanding of the core concept underlying the whole idea – which would serve as the seed from which the project would grow further. It would therefore be best to clarify the concept behind the Sanctuary Project in a way that it is understood at the conceptual level, without being limited by the fetters of language. Some preliminary observations will help us do that.

Firstly, it is easy to observe that the only constant thing in this Universe is change, and in fact, the world around is changing at a remarkable rate. An attempt to value those changes is made by an individual, and those values themselves change based on experience and understanding. Hence, one needs to qualify the changes one is trying to bring about, both within and without, which would serve as the guiding principle.

A second general observation is that the nature of change is such that there is always an evolution towards an increase in consciousness. Whatever different routes one examines, be it the “Man must reach the level of Godhead” idea of many religions, or the quest to discover and understand all the “Laws of Nature” as the scientist refers to them, a distinguishing feature of these routes is the underlying emphasis on an increase in understanding, knowledge, and the capacity to act based on that – in short, an increase in consciousness of the individual. Consciousness in the sense in which it is used here hence includes a greater capacity to understand, and act, as also to predict the consequences of those actions.

Further research into the pattern underlying these changes reveals that this drive to evolve prevails not just in human interactions, but also in the plant, animal and mineral kingdoms. In fact, one also notices that the direction of evolution is pointed out clearly by an increase in complexity with a concomitant decrease in numbers; the evolutionary pyramid. Hence, complex chemical compounds are rarer to find than simple compounds, as plants are rarer to find than bacteria. This gives us a clue regarding another nature of the change – it moves towards an increase in consciousness, or complexity, in basically all the fields open to us… in other words, everything grows and evolves in its own sense.

The distinguishing feature with respect to a human being is the fact that being an individual, she can choose to evolve, or not (logically the refusal to make a choice in itself constitutes a choice). If the previous stage of evolution brought the mammal to an individual thinking being, the next stage of evolution would occur via thought and discretion. Viewing this idea in the context of previous observations, an aid to evolution would be to enable an individual to make choices, which cause an increase in consciousness.

An example would help illustrate this concept. A seed planted in the soil would grow into a tree in due time, if it has access to adequate nutrition, both physical and mental. If the growth of the tree has been blocked, by say, keeping a big iron plank five feet above the soil and blocking out the sunlight, it would bend, twist and turn, and might grow sideways, or have a stunted growth. It would still continue to grow, as that is the nature of life, however the difference lies in the nature of growth. In a situation like this, the removal of blocks, and the subsequent encouragement of a naturally occurring growth, would correspond to working on an increase in consciousness in tree-kind.

This, therefore, is the simple idea underlying the Sanctuary Project: To provide an opportunity for individuals to grow and evolve… by the individuals, for the individuals. It serves as a foundation, but not one that is “set in stone”, however, as the idea of “growth” changes according to individual perceptions! Nevertheless, it would serve as a guiding principle while we suggest ways of bringing this concept into physical existence. This idea of an underlying evolving principle is again as old (and new) as time, with the Eastern names like Tao, and Brahman, which we now call Kheb (a reference from Science Fiction)… holding it as a worthy and reasonable motto with which to seed the Sanctuary and bring in the next evolutionary stage of mankind.
It is time.

Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: Kheb: Conscious Evolution

Post by Tulan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:14 pm

Good post Gopi :) A few thoughts that struck me while reading.
Gopi wrote:the next stage of evolution would occur via thought and discretion.
"To cultivate your person, rectify the heart. To rectify the heart think sincerely. To think sincerely, extend your knowledge. The extension of knowledge lays in the investigation of things... From the Son of Heaven down to the mass of the people, all must consider the cultivation of their person the root of everything besides."
Gopi wrote:This, therefore, is the simple idea underlying the Sanctuary Project: To provide an opportunity for individuals to grow.
Is the "idea" the function of a Sanctuary or the aggregate result of Individuals providing themselves with the opportunity to grow? I have observed, within coercion-free settings, the instability of providing opportunity for growth.

As far as I can tell, opportunity is only given (and received) by the Self.

Growth occurs whether opportunity is provided or not, as per your statements: "everything grows and evolves in its own sense." and "she can choose to evolve, or not (logically the refusal to make a choice in itself constitutes a choice)." Choice necessitating evolution, you either choose or you don't and when you don't choose you're still choosing to not choose, which is choosing...

The broader Self (the reciprocal of the physical self) allows the becoming and never muddles in the counter productivity of "are we there yet". The physical self, the personality, can either continue on AS their broader self or sit with their back to the unknown whilst the broader self goes trail blazing; when the latter occurs, people experience discomfort, dis-ease, and stagnation from the (willful but sometimes convinced) separation from Self.

That, to me, is the defining trait amongst those beings that appear to evolve and those that appear to be stagnant; are they running with the wolves? Or are they sitting around complaining/hating/justifying/etc...?

I would then say, the simple idea underlying a successful Sanctuary project is: a platform upon which harmonized Individuals meet, greet, and cooperatively think forward. The "motto" of the Sanctuary is then, not a statement made by a founder or group of founders, but a intention (or even statement) made by the Social Memory Complex of all the Individuals participating in the Sanctuary; whether it be one or more than one. This would allow it grow as you have said.

One cannot provide the other with growth, only a working example or source of inspiration from which the other can inspire growth from within. That is Sanctuary (IMHO of course).

An inspiring post Gopi!
Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song. - Kosh Naranek

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Gopi » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:48 am

Tulan wrote:Is the "idea" the function of a Sanctuary or the aggregate result of Individuals providing themselves with the opportunity to grow? I have observed, within coercion-free settings, the instability of providing opportunity for growth.

As far as I can tell, opportunity is only given (and received) by the Self.

The "motto" of the Sanctuary is then, not a statement made by a founder or group of founders, but a intention (or even statement) made by the Social Memory Complex of all the Individuals participating in the Sanctuary; whether it be one or more than one.
Yes, I understand what you are saying... I was trying to explain the concepts in a language free of anything resembling jargon, so that it would be accessible internationally, even with people who have not encountered the antiquatis website or do not have English as their native tongue. Two concepts pop up in your question, one of the social memory complex, and the other of the instability of Tier-1 setting for growth. In fact, three, if you include the concept of an "individual", as without that concept, things would get projected, either onto Sanctuary or on to the "founders". I am addressing those concepts in the further written material, in things to do with the psychological environment. Will post it soon, so you could take a look at it.

Thanks for the feedback, I have added a teaser sentence in the article at that point.
It is time.

Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Tulan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:22 am

Gopi wrote:I was trying to explain the concepts in a language free of anything resembling jargon, so that it would be accessible internationally, even with people who have not encountered the antiquatis website or do not have English as their native tongue.
I like your approach. What do you think of tiered Sanctuaries?

I agree, there must be some form of accessible material to people that are new or unfamiliar with the concepts. A common problem I've noticed with projects, though, has been the lowest common denominator issue; the lowest common denominator (the person or persons) is not so much a problem in and of themselves (they are beginning, just haven't learned the ropes) they are a problem in the sense that catering to them tends to dilute the project, discussion, etc...

Maybe we could come up with a separate and tiered web application that would serve as a publishing/knowledge system for Antiquatis? Possibly integrate with key topics that can link out to the forum and corresponding discussions (or condense the forum content for publishing)? This would be an interesting foundation for a topic map of Antiquatis/Sanctuary.

I know that sound like a lot of work but it would be interesting; it reminds me a bit of the Python Challenge in that you have to learn programming techniques in Python then solve a riddle which will let you through to the next riddle - the challenge was meant to be a fun way of learning the programming language; maybe a similar system could be used to present that Antiquatis material (it would be fun, challenging, and interesting)?

Just a few ideas, I can't wait for your next essay :)

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:52 pm

Good article, Gopi. Thinking about putting it out on the main site, and did a little editing/cleanup... see what you think:

Conscious Evolution
Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
The core concepts behind the project are simple: compassion, moderation and kindness to promote personal, cultural and societal growth. They are held in the highest esteem by every culture on Earth, so why aren’t people living their lives by them?

It is easy to observe that the only constant in this Universe is change, and the world around is changing at a remarkable rate. Individuals “value” those changes and those values, themselves, change based on personal experience and understanding. One needs to qualify the changes one is trying to bring about, both within and without, which would serve as a guiding principle.

The nature of change is such that there is always an evolution towards an increase in consciousness. Whatever different routes one examines, be it the “Man must reach the level of Godhead” idea of many religions, or the quest to discover and understand all the “Laws of Nature” as the scientist refers to them, a distinguishing feature of these routes is the underlying emphasis on an increase in understanding, knowledge, and the capacity to act based on that—in short, an increase in consciousness of the individual. Consciousness includes a greater capacity to understand, act and predict the consequences of actions—both your own, and of others.

This drive to evolve prevails not just in human interactions but also in the plant, animal and mineral kingdoms. The direction of evolution is pointed out clearly by an increase in complexity with a concomitant decrease in numbers; the evolutionary pyramid. Hence, complex chemical compounds are rarer to find than simple compounds, as plants are rarer to find than bacteria. This gives us a clue regarding another nature of the change—it moves towards an increase in consciousness, or complexity, in basically all the fields open to us… in other words, everything grows and evolves in its own sense.

The distinguishing feature of the human being is individuality; they can choose to evolve—or not. The refusal to make a choice, in itself, constitutes a choice. If the previous stage of evolution brought the mammal to an individual, thinking being, the next stage would occur via thought and a knowing, conscious act. Information is the key to making such a choice. The knowledge and experience of others is very useful information, which will be available in the library.1

This is the core idea of the Sanctuary Project: To provide an opportunity for individuals to evolve, as a conscious choice. It serves as a foundation, but not one that is “set in stone,” as the idea of “growth” changes according to individual perceptions. The idea of an underlying, evolving principle is again as old (and new) as time, with the Eastern names like Tao, Brahman, and what we now call Kheb… holding it as a worthy and reasonable motto with which to seed the Sanctuary and bring in the next evolutionary stage of mankind.

1 The "library" is a decentralized archive of information maintained in printed and electronic form. See: Stage 2: Central Information, of the Sanctuary Project documentation for detailed information.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:18 pm

Gopi wrote:I was trying to explain the concepts in a language free of anything resembling jargon, so that it would be accessible internationally, even with people who have not encountered the antiquatis website or do not have English as their native tongue.
I have found that one needs to write at a High School level (around 12th grade) for most people to understand. And then there is that problem that we are presenting concepts that most people are not familiar with, and have no "internal" concept to map it to.

Tulan, you may recall that you were in a similar situation before we did that Babylon 5 marathon... after which you obtained the internal concepts for the Vorlons to come a-calling!
Tulan wrote:I like your approach. What do you think of tiered Sanctuaries?
I think we've seen from the shift in the Web to "Web 2.0" that the top-down hierarchy of tiered structures is on its way out, in favor of the "cloud" concept of shared resources. A "Sanctuary Cloud" would fit more with where the collective is going, right now, which is an apprehension of the Social Memory Complex.
Tulan wrote:I agree, there must be some form of accessible material to people that are new or unfamiliar with the concepts. A common problem I've noticed with projects, though, has been the lowest common denominator issue; the lowest common denominator (the person or persons) is not so much a problem in and of themselves (they are beginning, just haven't learned the ropes) they are a problem in the sense that catering to them tends to dilute the project, discussion, etc...
But there MUST be some kind of sequencing (like grades) in the learning process, as certain concepts simply require foundation concepts... if you don't have the foundation, you can't build upon it.

"Democracy" is the application of the "lowest common denominator" concept, where the rules are made by the masses, not those with the most skill/knowledge. It is curious that America started out as a Republic, where Statesman were elected for their skills and ability to uphold the Constitution and represent their constituents. And the USA is trying to push "democracy" on everyone in the world... there is always a lot of "collective gravity" to keep people assimilated.
Tulan wrote:Maybe we could come up with a separate and tiered web application that would serve as a publishing/knowledge system for Antiquatis? Possibly integrate with key topics that can link out to the forum and corresponding discussions (or condense the forum content for publishing)? This would be an interesting foundation for a topic map of Antiquatis/Sanctuary.
Actually, I've already started it... "Stage 2" of the Sanctuary Project (see Overview). Topic maps are a good starting place, but I found out pretty quick that you need both spatial and temporal reference structures--geographic for space, and clock time for dating, since information gets outdated or updated with time. It's nice to see the history of development. I'll start a topic on it.

Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Tulan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:09 pm

LoneBear wrote:Tulan, you may recall that you were in a similar situation before we did that Babylon 5 marathon... after which you obtained the internal concepts for the Vorlons to come a-calling!
Yeah, that's why I revised my statement and said I liked his approach; often times I've found myself dipping below high school level concepts to communicate with people outside of the Antiquatis cloud.

By the way, I like your reformulation of Gopi's article.
LoneBear wrote:A "Sanctuary Cloud" would fit more with where the collective is going, right now, which is an apprehension of the Social Memory Complex.
I fully agree, I meant 'tiered sanctuaries' in the vein of what you had said: "some kind of sequencing (like grades) in the learning process". Tiers, as in, graduated levels. One sanctuary provides the initial introduction and once participants reach the point of graduation they move up to the next (am I understanding you correctly?).

One point of contention I have with the "cloud" as an analogy, is that it presently requires a single authoritative entity providing implementation agnostic services; I envision the "sanctuary cloud" as being a true cloud in the distributed and implementation agnostic sense. I tend to think Linked Data and the Semantic Web is the true cloud, no?
LoneBear wrote:I've already started it... "Stage 2" of the Sanctuary Project
Awesome! My offer to jump in and assist still stands :)
LoneBear wrote:Topic maps are a good starting place, but I found out pretty quick that you need both spatial and temporal reference structures--geographic for space, and clock time for dating, since information gets outdated or updated with time.
That was one of my first thoughts when I read about reification with topic maps; I think RDF + OWL (to create topic maps) provides a strong set of tools for reifying resources and linking them to upper ontologies (Linked Data) with either URI references, conceptual references, geographic references, or even temporal references.

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Gopi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:11 am

Tulan wrote:Just a few ideas, I can't wait for your next essay
There is another one in the Monastery section of the Sanctuary Project...
LoneBear wrote:The knowledge and experience of others is very useful information, which will be available in the library.
Yep, liked the 'remake'. In this sentence, we should probably mention what library is being talked about, as it hasn't been mentioned before... or provide a pointer to another section or something. Dunno how to do that while making a hard copy though.
It is time.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:25 am

Gopi wrote:In this sentence, we should probably mention what library is being talked about, as it hasn't been mentioned before... or provide a pointer to another section or something. Dunno how to do that while making a hard copy though.
Footnote would be the way to approach it. I've edited the article to include one as a demonstration.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:43 am

Tulan wrote:I fully agree, I meant 'tiered sanctuaries' in the vein of what you had said: "some kind of sequencing (like grades) in the learning process". Tiers, as in, graduated levels. One sanctuary provides the initial introduction and once participants reach the point of graduation they move up to the next (am I understanding you correctly?).
I was considering each Sanctuary to be an independent, self-sufficient system (see notes in Monastery section). The "tiers" would be subdivisions within a Sanctuary. Up in "front", in the public's eye, would be Antiquatis Institute--a non-profit, scientific, educational institution that the would hold the basic classes, analogous to "grammar school" for metaphysics. Graduation from that would open the door to entering the Monastic aspect, where you put what you've learned into practice. (I am aware of the good "test takers" that can pass tests without understanding the concepts... only half of the "final exam" would be scholastic--the other would be putting what you have learned into practice. EXCELLENT Star Trek: Voyager episode, "Sacred Ground," addresses the concept beautifully.)

From my experiences, you don't want a hard line between the two, so there is always a glimpse of what lies ahead in the path. It's always nice to have an idea of what is laying around that corner you can't see beyond... you can better prepare yourself for the trip, and sometimes it even entices you to keep on moving. So the occasional monk sitting in the garden in front of the library, chatting with students, could make for an interesting and though-provoking experience.
Tulan wrote:One point of contention I have with the "cloud" as an analogy, is that it presently requires a single authoritative entity providing implementation agnostic services; I envision the "sanctuary cloud" as being a true cloud in the distributed and implementation agnostic sense. I tend to think Linked Data and the Semantic Web is the true cloud, no?
My reference was to "Web 2.0" being the current apprehension level of the cloud... I would still like to structure the system to be analogous to the social memory complex at the monastic level. The Institute portion would be the "cloud", since it is available to the public and that cloud idea pretty much represents the highest level of collective apprehension right now. To try to implement an SMC directly to the collective unconscious would be like throwing them into the Dark Forest, with its lions and tigers and bears.. oh my!

Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Tulan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:15 pm

LoneBear wrote:I was considering each Sanctuary to be an independent, self-sufficient system (see notes in Monastery section). The "tiers" would be subdivisions within a Sanctuary.
Okay and scale is dealt with by having members that hit 4th density apprehension go out and build a sanctuary themselves (the aha moment I had on Avalon when you posed that question to me) - parallel-izing the system I suppose.
LoneBear wrote:My reference was to "Web 2.0" being the current apprehension level of the cloud...
Oh okay, gotcha.