Kheb: The Outline

Discussion of the basic concepts and philosophy behind the idea of a Sanctuary; a place where those exhibiting traits of the next generation of man can meet and learn, without prejudice or bias.
Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Kheb: The Outline

Post by Gopi » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:32 am

The Setting:

- The choice of interface with surrounding nature, physical and mental (psychological)

Physical Environment:

- Food
- Water
- Shelter
- Utilities
--- Technology
--- Transport

Psychological Environment:

- Qualifying people (vMeme test)
- Good Intellectual environment: Hogwarts and Education
--- Research library
--- Classrooms
--- Common rooms
- Good Interactional environment: Ethics and community structure
--- Natural Roles and Work
--- Free Will concerns

Spiritual Path:

- Study and application of Ancient knowledge
- Cultural backgrounds as perspectives
- The Path, and the Tomorrow People

Comments welcome.
It is time.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Kheb: The Outline

Post by LoneBear » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:24 am

Gopi wrote:Psychological Environment:

I liked the approach they used on Voyager, "Sacred Ground" (Season 3, Episode 7), where "qualifying" is determined by giving a person exactly what they expect in a test... totally meaningless... until the expectation is broken and the real work can begin.
Gopi wrote:- Good Intellectual environment: Hogwarts and Education
--- Research library
--- Classrooms
--- Common rooms
When I read this, I started wondering if "formal education" (the university route) is the proper path to take... looking back at my life, I learned very little from schooling and formal education. My education is primarily from two sources: curiosity and mentors (people I looked up to as role models). Though I have noticed the lack of positive role models these days... they were abundant in the '60s. It seems to be one of the concepts being "phased out" because it teaches behavior along with skill. Classroom education does not even teach skills any more--knowing how a hammer works is not the same thing as banging in a nail.
Gopi wrote: - Good Interactional environment: Ethics and community structure
--- Free Will concerns
There are many people on this Path, such as myself, that find communal structures to be oppressive and repressive. It does not preclude interaction, but does require a degree of privacy that a communal structure seldom offers. This needs to be addressed, as gurus usually live alone in caves on the tops of mountains and wizards in empty castles that no one dares enter... there's a reason for that.
4 8 15 16 23 42

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:56 pm

LoneBear wrote:There are many people on this Path, such as myself, that find communal structures to be oppressive and repressive. It does not preclude interaction, but does require a degree of privacy that a communal structure seldom offers. This needs to be addressed, as gurus usually live alone in caves on the tops of mountains and wizards in empty castles that no one dares enter... there's a reason for that.
I concur. I live in an apartment where I have neighbors on both sides and upstairs, hear too much noise daily which I don't like. Maybe its just me but I can't concentrate and get quickly/instantly irritated from the noises, especially in the evenings when it supposed to be silent. Oh just remembered that my tinnitus/ringing keeps my perception active at all times, that might be part of the reason I get irritated so quickly.
Enjoy the Silence

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:40 pm

LoneBear wrote:
Gopi wrote:Psychological Environment:

I liked the approach they used on Voyager, "Sacred Ground" (Season 3, Episode 7), where "qualifying" is determined by giving a person exactly what they expect in a test... totally meaningless... until the expectation is broken and the real work can begin.
That episode was very insightful. I agree with the sentiment relayed here and already have an idea or two as to how this might be gone about.
LoneBear wrote:
Gopi wrote:- Good Intellectual environment: Hogwarts and Education
--- Research library
--- Classrooms
--- Common rooms
When I read this, I started wondering if "formal education" (the university route) is the proper path to take... looking back at my life, I learned very little from schooling and formal education. My education is primarily from two sources: curiosity and mentors (people I looked up to as role models). Though I have noticed the lack of positive role models these days... they were abundant in the '60s. It seems to be one of the concepts being "phased out" because it teaches behavior along with skill. Classroom education does not even teach skills any more--knowing how a hammer works is not the same thing as banging in a nail.
I'm inclined to agree with this. I'm all for a library and common rooms. As far as classrooms go... anywhere a group of people get together to share knowledge, whether that be in a forest glade, or in a kitchen, or in a barn stable -- I would consider that a classroom. I think that scheduling meetings where teaching/learning can occur is valuable, but I, like Bruce, am apprehensive to the idea of a formal classroom, given the predicated uses of the same types of structures in the outlying society. Sit still in a box for hours, designed to keep you in a box... not appealing to me. Again, this doesn't mean that I don't think there should/could/would be a necessity for "class" in the way we understand it with an instructor and group of students. I'd just like to see it more in the spirit of Hagrid's classes.
LoneBear wrote:
Gopi wrote: - Good Interactional environment: Ethics and community structure
--- Free Will concerns
There are many people on this Path, such as myself, that find communal structures to be oppressive and repressive. It does not preclude interaction, but does require a degree of privacy that a communal structure seldom offers. This needs to be addressed, as gurus usually live alone in caves on the tops of mountains and wizards in empty castles that no one dares enter... there's a reason for that.
As I mentioned to Gopi and Bruce yesterday during lunch, for me, communal structures are OK so long as I have a place to abscond to when the necessity for it arises. In the couple of weeks since moving to Salt Lake City and being "on my own" for the first time in my life, I've realized that my attitude of not liking or needing company or companionship--the inner hermit-- is not the loudest voice in my psyche after all. I wouldn't want to live in a high-rise type of building, but I could be happy living in close proximity - neighbors (with plenty of room in between homes) - to other members of the group. As for needing a spot off to myself, I have a tent and nothing would stop me from trekking off into the forest if the urge comes upon me. If, in my later years, I would like to make my separation a bit more permanent, as is quite possible/probable, I can find or build a small cabin off to myself. I do understand that this isn't the same for others. We all need different things. Bruce knows what he wants/needs from Sanctuary and why he wants/needs it. I can say the same for myself. Which leads to an interesting couple of questions to anyone who might read this and has interest in being a part of this community that may have been addressed in other places, but in any case, I'd like to submit these here for discussion.

What do you want from Sanctuary? What do you need it to be? Why?
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

What I Want from Sanctuary

Post by LoneBear » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:56 pm

joeyv23 wrote:Bruce knows what he wants/needs from Sanctuary and why he wants/needs it. I can say the same for myself. Which leads to an interesting couple of questions to anyone who might read this and has interest in being a part of this community that may have been addressed in other places, but in any case, I'd like to submit these here for discussion.

What do you want from Sanctuary? What do you need it to be? Why?
My desires have changed many times over the years, as knowledge and situations evolved. Now that I'm rapidly approaching my 60th birthday, what I want is to be able to pass on the vast amounts of knowledge and skills that I have acquired over the decades. (And as you folks know, it is some fairly unique knowledge.) I've learned a lot, both physical and metaphysical, and I know how to teach it to others.

I always liked the Aztec approach to their senior citizens--once a person reaches their 52nd year, they are given a place to stay and all their physical needs are taken care of by the village. They then become a resource for the young of knowledge, experience and skill. I know it works, because half of my trade skills were learned from my grandfather, after his retirement when he had the time to teach me things. My dad did some, but was usually too busy with his job, providing for his family.

I had always planned to incorporate senior citizens in the Sanctuary project for this reason. Over the 40 years I've been working on this, I've now become one. And I've noticed that at this time of life, one gets a desire for a simpler style of living. And that is what I would want/need from the project, now. Just a small cabin in an out-of-the-way location, where I can continue my research and document what I wrote, with access to facilities where I can teach what I know to others, be it in workshops, classrooms or just chatting in the garden. I've always seen myself as a kind of Boothby character (Star Trek) in my senior years, and though not an "active" participant, be a good listener for those that are, with some kind words or advice.
4 8 15 16 23 42

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:22 pm

I've been thinking about this and have decided to follow up to my own question here.

What I want from Sanctuary is a place where I can put my talents, traits, and skills to their fullest use. Of all of the other communities that I came across on my search for "the perfect place" to do this, Sanctuary--as expressed here and on the top site--is the only one that I found that had the proper balance and ethical underpinnings for me to commit to. The Sanctuary Project is in line with my Magnum Opus because it IS the Magnum Opus.

It's been interesting, trying to see how I fit into the successful manifestation of the project. It required of me much inner work - so that I have been able to work on the development a healthy/balanced/functioning personality that I can then/now lend towards the goals of the creation of this community. I can do this, by way of being a guiding influence, of making use of what Bruce has helped me to realize about myself, the innate ability to see the flow of potentialities for people and groups and can use this to aid others as they pursue their personal Great Walk.

After talking with Spaceman on our trip into the mountains yesterday, I realize that I'm not one for management, per se. I feel better about the idea of being a director. I see the difference in these as being the same difference in the director/conductor of a symphony orchestra and the creator/composer of the pieces that they will be playing. The latter is management, of which I have no interest. I would be taking on the real life role that J.K. Rowling portrayed through the character of Albus Dumbledore. Bruce saw this of me back when we came to Salt Lake City for the Root Gathering. At that time, I was hesitant about the nature of the role. It's been recently discovered that this was due to an ingrained fear of success and fame. I knew that I have the qualities, traits, and natural tendencies pushing me towards the role, but I didn't like the idea of being in a spotlight. I don't want to follow in Wilcock's footsteps and fall into a guru type of situation.

Some context for those that aren't aware... I've been going through a massive personal transformation over the course of the last couple of years that has been documented in private fora. My journey West / vision quest from Georgia to Salt Lake City on my motorcycle, camping along the way, opened up more than a few doors within myself, and I work daily to continue to integrate the things that found their voice during the trip that are now in the light of my conscious awareness. I'm currently working on synthesizing these aspects into the personality that I've been developing for my Self.

One of the biggest things that came out, was my active reflection of the Gemini archetype. Certain moments in my life had created in me a repression of my masculinity. This repression created within myself a "dark" complex There is more to this complex that I will also address shortly. The majority of this complex ended up being my masculine nature. Aggressive and sexual energies had been forced into this cage and buried in the unconscious and were now, like the symbolism that has come to light goes - a caged wolverine having found itself waking up from its tranquilized nap - ready to be set free / healthily integrated into the system. I've been working on this, carefully of course, but out of this darkness I found those other things that I still held fear for; namely success, power, and fame.

These were things that I wanted at one point in my life, but were tossed into the cage with the wolverine because of familial as well as religious and cultural indoctrination lending towards the idea that success and power were outside of my grasp or "bad". What I didn't realize then, but have been figuring out recently with some help from friends, was that by the nature of my existence in this incarnation and the direction of my Walk through this life, in alignment with the growth and development of the goals of the project being discussed here, those things (power, success, fame) would potentially be a part of my life. Wanting these things for the wrong reasons (see societal indoctrination) was something I had to work on. I realize now that they are a likely byproduct of the path I'm on. I feel the necessity to delve further into this.

While I have been actively trying to develop and exemplify the characterization that is Albus Dumbledore, (my Yang/light side) I spent a great deal of energy ignoring the part of myself that is the "darkness": Salazar Slytherin. I would make use of the personality traits attributed to the character (cunning, resourcefulness, cleverness, determination, and a certain disregard for the rules,) but where it came to obtaining power -- which is something the Sorting Hat attributed to "Power-Hungry Slytherin"-- I wanted to bury this within myself, and I did, in fact, do just this. What I didn't understand was that we, as active participants of the Magnum Opus, WILL and DO have the power to affect positive change in this world. The issue at hand is in the choice of how that power will be used. As to Slytherin's distrust of Muggles and Muggle-born witches and wizards, this too lived in me to some extent for a portion of my life. There are a few interesting tidbits to be found online about this - the fact that Hogwarts was founded during the Witch Trial period in history and that Slytherin was trying to protect the staff and pupils from undue persecution. Final point of interest to note, that like the character, I have a predisposition towards liking snakes and while I can't hiss out Parsletongue, I do have a proclivity towards xenotelepathy in general.

There is one other aspect that I have identified within myself that will be mentioned, identifiable in the characteristics of Rubeus Hagrid. This is the "country boy" / Neanderthal side of me that is predisposed towards a natural "less magical" (read: more magical) connection to this planet and the life thereon/in.

What I have now is an understanding of who I am becoming -- a synthesis of Slytherin, Dumbledore and Hagrid -- and the knowledge of where my skills (interpersonal/hospitality/leadership/mentor/friend/guide) and traits (Slytherin: clever, cunning, resourceful, determined / Dumbledore: patient, kind, able to find value in all things, sympathetic to the plight of humanity / Hagrid: in tune with the natural flow of life on Earth) and how I can best employ these traits and skills.

So that this personal exposition won't be misconstrued, to clarify: I'm not trying to drive the chariot once it is created. The chariot, once created, will drive itself. What I want is to be who I am--an explorer of the Magnum Opus and Path of Kheb-- and use my traits, knowledge, and abilities to their fullest potential so that this project, once constructed, can (as it surely will - again, the chariot will drive itself) become what we all want/need it to be.

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:23 am

I'm posting here what I've come up with as an introductory digital flyer of sorts that can be used as a doorway for people to start looking at what we're working on. I'm going to be looking for a simple webpage design that will look good on smart phone screens. It will have a title banner and then unfolding/collapsing options for each header so that all headers can be seen up front and then more information can be obtained via click or screen press. I'm not trying to use any actual type of formatting here, just want to give an idea of what's in my head so that it can be discussed further.

----------------------The Sanctuary Project------------------------

----------------------------Who We Are--------------------------
---------------------What Brings Us Together-------------------
-----------------------------The Vision--------------------------------
-------------------------What We Are Not----------------------------
--------------------How You Can Get Involved------------------

^ This is all you would see upon visiting the page without interacting at all. From here you could open each header to get a fuller description. Here's what I have for the sub-text.

---------------------------Who We Are--------------------------

We are a group of people who wish to establish for ourselves and others an alternative to the "rat race" method of living, a safe haven, or 'Sanctuary' where good health, happiness, and a sense of balance, fulfillment, and purpose are promoted to their fullest extent.

---------------------What Brings Us Together--------------------

For starters, a common dissatisfaction with the way things are. It is the general consensus of those that find their way to the Sanctuary Project that the direction that society has been moving, while conducive to commercial development world-wide, is not conducive to the development of good health, happiness, as well as a sense of balance, fulfillment, and purpose in the individual lives of the vast majority of the population of humanity.

Another major factor that brings us together is the common desire to learn things. As the saying goes, "knowledge is power", and since one of our primary goals is self-empowerment, access to information is critical--no tuition or membership fees required. The only requisite is a healthy curiosity as well as the desire and willingness to learn about any (and for some--every) subject of potential interest.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, is our desire to express ourselves as creative individuals in a healthy environment where this is encouraged rather than looked down upon. We know that the pressure of "just being one in the crowd" is stifling for a person's sense of individuality and yet we see that this is a common direction that many are forced, for lack of an alternative, to take.

We are thinkers, dreamers, writers, musicians, dancers, and artists who seek to find inspiration in ourselves, each other, and Nature. We are also workers, builders, chefs, custodians, farmers, engineers, service and management types alike, all interested in putting our various skills and traits to work in a place where 'work' is done not simply out of necessity, but also of the desire for contribution to the fulfillment of the goals of the project at hand. This could occur in the form of construction of a physical community, or simply in the act of spending time with a friend, lending an ear and a shoulder for support.

We're all in this thing called life together and we wish to live up to the fullest of our human potential to the best of our abilities.

-----------------------------The Vision--------------------------------

It is our hope that we might, by way of working towards the goals mentioned above, create a model for an alternative way of life where individuality as well as community are promoted and encouraged.

In the long-run, we would like to create and establish a place where people can physically come together and pursue these goals. We are currently in the beginning stages of this and are working on different leads that may see us achieving this goal in the near future.

-------------------------What We Are Not----------------------------

It is necessary to describe up-front what we are not, since - given the natural predisposition of some to attack ideas that are foreign to an individual's Weltanschauung, we have in the past and may yet again find ourselves being met by harsh criticism (which is OK) and accusations with the sole intention of discrediting our attempt to create the alternative lifestyle being laid out (which is not OK.)

We are not a hippie commune, cult, religion, or New Age sect. While many of us are spiritual, that does not mean that we sit around campfires doing drugs, drinking special kool-aid, or chanting to and worshiping deities. No one in the Sanctuary Project is required to believe anything that anyone else says. This is, in fact, the direct antithesis of what we are trying to promote. A healthy curiosity and the freedom and empowerment to question things that are not understood are highly encouraged.

--------------------How You Can Get Involved-------------------

There is an ongoing virtual interaction of people who are interested in seeing the Sanctuary Project come to life, and you are invited to get in on the action. By interacting with each other--sharing our thoughts, ideas, questions, and concerns--we bring ourselves closer to the achievement of, at least, developing a growing community of people working together in rapport towards our shared interests - as opposed to the usual standards of operation in our world of conflict, competition, and rivalry.

We aren't claiming to have all of the answers. On the contrary, we understand very well that there is much to learn and it is to this end that we hope that you might join in and help us achieve the goal of fruition through education and co-operation.

Listed below are some links for further exploration of the ideas and basis for the project being outlined. Also listed is some contact information for the Antiquatis Institute, which is the non-profit organization overseeing the creation and actualization of the Sanctuary Project. We look forward to hearing from and interacting with you soon!

<Insert links here>
Last edited by joeyv23 on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

The Techno-mage

Post by LoneBear » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:00 pm

"We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things."
– Elric
4 8 15 16 23 42