Pythagorean Concept of Rapport--Friendship

Discussion of the basic concepts and philosophy behind the idea of a Sanctuary; a place where those exhibiting traits of the next generation of man can meet and learn, without prejudice or bias.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Pythagorean Concept of Rapport--Friendship

Post by LoneBear » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Manly P. Hall wrote:Pythagoras taught that friendship was the truest and nearest perfect of all relationships. He declared that in Nature there was a friendship of all for all; of gods for men; of doctrines one for another; of the soul for the body; of the rational part for the irrational part; of philosophy for its theory; of men for one another; of countrymen for one another; that friendship also existed between strangers, between a man and his wife, his children, and his servants. All bonds without friendship were shackles, and there was no virtue in their maintenance. Pythagoras believed that relationships were essentially mental rather than physical, and that a stranger of sympathetic intellect was closer to him than a blood relation whose viewpoint was at variance with his own. Pythagoras defined knowledge as the fruitage of mental accumulation. He believed that it would be obtained in many ways, but principally through observation. Wisdom was the understanding of the source or cause of all things, and this could be secured only by raising the intellect to a point where it intuitively cognized the invisible manifesting outwardly through the visible, and thus became capable of bringing itself en rapport with the spirit of things rather than with their forms. The ultimate source that wisdom could cognize was the Monad, the mysterious permanent atom of the Pythagoreans.
4 8 15 16 23 42

deepfsh
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: Pythagorean Concept of Rapport--Friendship

Post by deepfsh » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:51 pm

LoneBear wrote:Pythagoras defined knowledge as the fruitage of mental accumulation. He believed that it would be obtained in many ways, but principally through observation. Wisdom was the understanding of the source or cause of all things, and this could be secured only by raising the intellect to a point where it intuitively cognized the invisible manifesting outwardly through the visible, and thus became capable of bringing itself en rapport with the spirit of things rather than with their forms
I've been thinking about this lately. To me, it seems like magic.
"You talk the talk ... do you walk the walk?" Kubrick, Full Metal Jacket

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:15 am

deepfsh wrote:
Manly P. Hall wrote:Pythagoras defined knowledge as the fruitage of mental accumulation. He believed that it would be obtained in many ways, but principally through observation. Wisdom was the understanding of the source or cause of all things, and this could be secured only by raising the intellect to a point where it intuitively cognized the invisible manifesting outwardly through the visible, and thus became capable of bringing itself en rapport with the spirit of things rather than with their forms
I've been thinking about this lately. To me, it seems like magic.
Yes, it is. The invisible realm is the cosmic sector, coordinate time. We can't see temporal relationships, only spatial ones--but time changes space (as the ratio of motion). Magick is learning how to manipulate 3D time to get predicable changes in space. (Of course this cannot be done with the body, since it is spatial... but the soul, the anima, lives in 3D time, so the student of magick needed to learn how to use his "temporal" arms and legs, rather than his bodily ones. That's what the Magician, Sorcerer or Mage does.)
4 8 15 16 23 42

dave432
Centurio
Centurio

Post by dave432 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:13 am

LoneBear wrote: ... but the soul, the anima, lives in 3D time
I'm asking for some clarification on the definition of soul. Reading this forum has gotten me interested in reading C.G. Yung, but the Jung primer by Calvin Hall refers to the anima (my paraphrase) as an archetype of a man's inner ideal of what a woman should be, in his own conception, and the animus as a woman's inner ideal man. But on this fora, animus is the spirit.

The reciprocal relation of a man having a female soul and a woman a male soul, makes a lot more sense now, as does the shadow being the biological urges (instincts) of one's own material body. I'm reading another Calvin Hall book now since the Yung primer was so helpful.
"just down the road a little way, turn left, cross the drawbridge, and you will be my guest tonight."
-- directions to the grail castle. We'll have some toast.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:45 pm

dave432 wrote:I'm asking for some clarification on the definition of soul. Reading this forum has gotten me interested in reading C.G. Yung, but the Jung primer by Calvin Hall refers to the anima (my paraphrase) as an archetype of a man's inner ideal of what a woman should be, in his own conception, and the animus as a woman's inner ideal man. But on this fora, animus is the spirit.
That is because I use a mix of psychology and alchemy. Jung actually recognized the reciprocal relation between the body and mind, but could never quite figure it out (I believe he outright states that in Book 8 of his Collected Works, on the Structure and Dynamics of the psyche).

Keep in mind that in the "old days," the spiritual knowledge was highly patriarchal--the perspective is from the male side, only (mages). So you have the corpus (male body), shadowed into the anima (female soul) and if you keep on going deeper, the animus (male spirit). I've stuck with these terms because if you read pre-1900s literature on the subject, that is the association.

If you want to visualize the relationship, you are a man with a female soul. Now take the female soul and reify it (make it real), and that female soul now becomes a body, with a male soul, the animus. This "loop" is recursive, so you get corpus -> anima -> animus. It is completing the circle, 0, 180, 360.

The same holds true for a woman, her corpus has an animus which has an anima. But realizing the terms were defined by the patriarchy, you have to flip the meanings from the matriarchal perspective.
dave432 wrote:The reciprocal relation of a man having a female soul and a woman a male soul, makes a lot more sense now, as does the shadow being the biological urges (instincts) of one's own material body. I'm reading another Calvin Hall book now since the Yung primer was so helpful.
If you look at Jung's typology, you can see that "sensation" corresponds to 3D space and "intuition" (instinct) to 3D time.

If you haven't read daniel's paper on Homo Sapiens Ethicus, I would recommend it as it has diagrams of this.
4 8 15 16 23 42