Core Concepts and Standards

Discussion of the basic concepts and philosophy behind the idea of a Sanctuary; a place where those exhibiting traits of the next generation of man can meet and learn, without prejudice or bias.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Core Concepts and Standards

Post by LoneBear » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:36 pm

For those that heard/seen/read my Sanctuary Project slideshow done for the Root Gathering, one of the things that I focused upon was the need for some simple, core concepts and standards for communication and information exchange. This is an ever-increasing problem in the Information Age. For example, if someone mentions "mercury," are they talking about a planet, an element, or a Ford car? That comes down to something called context, or in computer terms, scope. A common vocabulary is needed, so words mean the same thing between people. The same concept applies to other fields. Also, some common tools for exchange are needed, particularly with ever-increasing electronic communication. I've been working at this for 40 years, right since the beginning of the computer industry, and here are the core concepts and standards I have found to be the most generic, available and free:

Language (international conventions)
  • English, for commerce and science
  • French, for diplomacy and politics
  • UTF-8 character set, the common denominator for Unicode, so all known languages can be used in electronic media.
Research
  • RS2 update to the Reciprocal System, for general science and astronomy, as it was specifically created for this purpose.
  • Spiral Dynamics, for human behavior and valuing.
  • Jungian psychology, for general psychology and terminology.
Music and the Arts

(Would need some help here, as I do not know if there are conventions or standards in these areas. Perhaps the frequency-note relationship should be included as a standard for anything we create.)

Computers and Electronic Communication
  • OpenOffice/LibreOffice, the open source/free version of Microsoft Office that uses international standards (the OpenDocument format). Contains a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, drawings, and database interface.
  • PostgreSQL database, follows ANSI SQL standards and is fast, efficient, loaded with options, and free. (I previously used MySQL, but it has become too bloated and slow in the free editions.)
  • Java programming language, for formal applications as the same code runs without change on any operating system, and it is fast, efficient, interactive and supports multimedia presentation.
  • PHP, web programming, mainly because it is fast and easy, and has the most free software available for it. (This board is in PHP, as well as the main site, the RS sites and CH sites.)
  • OpenGL graphics language, for graphic interaction.
  • Git version control repositories, though difficult to follow, provides superior ways to share and distribute information. (I am currently using Subversion, as I have not yet been able to get the git interface to work properly on the server. GitHub is an option, but then you don't own your code--somebody else has it, and can remove it at their whim.)
  • Netbeans IDE (Interactive Development Environment), as it was designed specifically for the Java platform and also supports many other programming languages.
CAD/CAM: Computer-Aided Design and Manufacturing (currently researching)
  • POVray 3D rendering, free, open source and very easy to use 3D rendering software that utilizes constructive, solid geometry. Can produce very realistic images if you put the time and effort into it.
  • FreeCAD, the best I've found so far for 3D design, that can be exported to 3D printers.
This is what I have, so far. Please feel free to contribute ideas or other core concepts and standards that have not been addressed. This puts us "all on the same page" when trying to exchange information.

Nota Bene: these standards are "tools of the trade," so take the time to learn how to use them properly. A small investment of time "up front" can save many hours of time later on, when you use the tools correctly. (Particularly with computer software.) Granted, you can bang in a nail with a screwdriver but it is a lot more work. Once you understand what tools do and what abilities they have, you will then know how to use, as Scotty always said, "the right tool, for the right job!"

Also consider... take a little more time to do something right, preview a post, style paragraphs in documents, chose words that easily translate into other languages. Improve the quality of what you communicate on the outside and you will find that you also improve the quality of how you communicate on the inside.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.
Forever Standing Guard over the Bridge Between the Realms