Sanctuary Theme song?

Discussion of the basic concepts and philosophy behind the idea of a Sanctuary; a place where those exhibiting traits of the next generation of man can meet and learn, without prejudice or bias.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Sanctuary Theme song?

Post by LoneBear » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:16 am

I was thinking that some kind of leitmotif should be selected for the Sanctuary project, a bit of a musical score that can be used in video presentations.

One of my favorites has always been the theme song to Laverne & Shirley, an old TV sitcom from the 70s. It was based on the song, Making Our Dreams by Cyndi Grecco:

Perhaps some of the musicians here could do a custom version of that song, for the project? I find the lyrics incredibly appropriate.
4 8 15 16 23 42

tymeflyz
Discens
Discens

Re: Sanctuary Theme song?

Post by tymeflyz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:10 pm

i'm game bruce. I have a lot of original music that could be used.
I'm working on this song right now, no vocals yet as i have a cold thats wrecked my voice ; [
Attachments
truth in iies.mp3
(2.06 MiB) Downloaded 64 times

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:28 am

tymeflyz wrote:i'm game bruce. I have a lot of original music that could be used.
I'm working on this song right now, no vocals yet as i have a cold thats wrecked my voice ; [
There area lot of people with a musical background on the site; perhaps others can help out?

Thinking a few different pieces:

Intro piece for to start a video, title sequence.

Trailer piece for credit roll.

Various sections that would provide emotional context for the different parts of the Sanctuary Project. But the mood should be light, hopeful and generally cheerful. That's why I've always like the Laverne & Shirley theme... "never heard the word, 'impossible'"
4 8 15 16 23 42

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:10 pm

This is an AWESOME idea! What mad genius came up with this? I'm half laughing my head off (in the best way possible), and half filled with ideas for a theme song and a subsequent video.

A good jingle is a real gem, and the Laverne and Shirley theme song is a great one.

Here is the original opening credit sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRmKzxhMzwo

Here is the 'playful spoof' from Wayne's World: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdulIKhCC3Y

Now just imagine doing this for the Sanctuary Project, with an original piece of music. SO epic! Perhaps something like...

*"Look, there's ISUS headquarters!"
*"Welcome to the Sanctuary Project" billboard
*Give me some time to sit down with the whole "One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, schlemiel, schlimazel, hasenpfeffer incorporated!" bit, and I think that I can come up with something appropriate to what we are doing here. As I understand it, a schlemiel is somebody who often spills his soup and a schlimazel is the person it lands on. Hasenpfeffer is a German stew.
*Any thoughts on the 'bicycle' and 'door slamming' bits? Maybe those can remain the same?
*Replace the forklift with a piece of farm equipment, with two of us hanging off the front :lol:
*For the 'glove on the bottle' scene: Plant a seed in the ground, 'wave' to it, walk away, use time lapse photography to show it growing into a fruiting plant, pick fruiting plant, hold up fruit, cock head to one side, place hand under chin, and smile longingly off camera :D

So who's gonna play Lenny and Squiggy? "HELLO!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AcBqfMH4fU :lol: Perhaps we might think of some 'recurring comedic motif' idea that is interspersed throughout all public access info pertaining to the Sanctuary Project. Maybe we could 'hold auditions' for the Sanctuary Project? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kozXmXB ... 8xWOLSvXOQ

Oh man, this is fantastic! I'm having WAY too much fun with this! Of course, this is just one idea as to how we can put this together, but I'm thinking that reworking the scenes from the opening theme to Laverne and Shirley, and fitting it around an original piece of music, sounds like a ton of fun, and a great way to put a public face to the project.

I'd love to sit down and begin writing something. I've done similar such things in the past, with an 'accidental' comedic bent :-)

I've also got a few songs whose lyrical themes might fit into the overall theme of the Sanctuary Project. They are not what we'd be seeking for a 'theme song jingle', but perhaps we could use them somewhere else. I've got 19 other original master tracks as well, and I'm happy to send them along for use with the project.
Attachments
Train of Change.mp3
(4.03 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
The Greatest Love I Know.mp3
(4.55 MiB) Downloaded 33 times

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:46 pm

Is that you singing in those mp3s?

There is always the Red Dwarf route...

If you're in trouble,
he can save the day.
He's brave and he's fearless,
Come what may.
Without him physics would go astray,

He's Dewey, Dewey, Dewey Larson,
With him some physicists turn to arson,
He's handsome, trim and looks like a parson,
He will never watch Johnny Carson.

In the ride cart, you could replace Rimmer's face with Larson's, and switch Kryten with Hawking, Lister with Niel Degrasse Tyson and Kochanski with Madame Curie.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot that rhymes with "Larson."
4 8 15 16 23 42

mongo
Centurio
Centurio

Post by mongo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:04 am

Larson rhymes-
martian, anything with (-tion ) at the end.

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:57 pm

Oh no, it's 'The Rimmer Experience'! As I recall, this was one of the single funniest scenes in the entire series. I recall Kryten having said something to the effect of, "I had to tone down the ego quite a bit."

Though this is a funny idea, I'm thinking that a Laverne and Shirley spoof would be more recognizable. Red Dwarf is a bit 'out there'. A great many more people would, I think, recognize what we were doing were we to duplicate scenes to the opening sequence of Laverne and Shirley.

Yes, that is my voice on the recordings. I composed and arranged the music and lyrics, and sang the lead vocals. These two songs come from two of the three albums that I released during my time as a performer.

I'm currently in the process of transitioning into a new home, and it is occupying a great deal of my time. Lots of changes upcoming here in the next month. In essence, I'm setting the foundation in place for a move to SLC in the fall, and a central commitment on my part to the Sanctuary Project. However, I would like to sit down with this in the near future and write a jingle, based around the basic themes put forth in the Laverne and Shirley theme song. Any others who would like to openly share lyrical or musical thoughts, please chime in. The L&S theme is basic in its message: work together to 'Make our Dreams Come True'; 'Nothing is impossible'; we'll 'Break all the rules' (my personal favorite). It's rewording these age-old messages in a refreshing, though provoking way that will make it come alive in the form of a new song.

Lozion
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Lozion » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:09 pm

Finally picking up on missed Posts. This is a great idea!

I humbly submit as a possible Anthem title:

Avanti Ethica!
In rapport we thrive, in rivalry we strive.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu May 26, 2016 1:37 pm

Here's some words that rhyme with Larson...

11 Letter words that end with son

Chairperson
Handyperson
Houseperson
Salesperson
Superperson

10 Letter words that end with son

Comparison
Newsperson
Postprison
Postseason
Stonemason
Transposon
Waitperson

9 Letter words that end with son

Caparison
Encrimson
Freemason
Layperson
Nonperson
Outreason
Preseason

8 Letter words that end with son

Advowson
Diapason
Empoison
Gambeson
Garrison
Grandson
Imprison
Jettison
Lewisson
Reseason
Sternson
Unperson
Unreason
Whoreson

7 Letter words that end with son

Benison
Blouson
Caisson
Chanson
Classon
Crimson
Ecdyson
Frisson
Johnson
Keelson
Liaison
Malison
Pocoson
Sponson
Stemson
Stepson
Stetson
Treason
Venison
Warison

6 Letter words that end with son

Bolson
Damson
Dobson
Foison
Gibson
Godson
Grison
Kelson
Lesson
Nelson
Orison
Parson
Person
Poison
Prison
Ramson
Reason
Season
Telson
Unison
Weason

5 Letter words that end with son

Arson
Bison
Boson
Hyson
Mason
Meson

3 Letter words that end with son

Son
4 8 15 16 23 42

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Thu May 26, 2016 5:17 pm

If you don't mind me chiming in here:

The syllable that you are attempting to rhyme in the word 'Larson' is the stressed syllable 'LAR', with the long 'r' sound, followed by the unstressed 'un' in the word 'son'. If you were rhyming the unstressed syllable 'son', thereby giving it the stress, then you'd be mispronouncing the word, i.e. 'larSON' as opposed to 'LARson'. It's a very common mistake that I've noticed in a great deal of songwriting nowadays: People go for the rhyme and, in the process, mispronounce the word, placing the emPHASis on the wrong sylLABle :-) There are a great many songs, particularly in the rock genre, (and I was brought up on classic rock), that do this a great deal. In fact, I often wondered, "what the heck did he just say?", until I went back and read the lyrics, and realized, "Oooohhh, he just mispronounced the word."

One of the most glaring examples happens in the song "Walking in Memphis", (a good one, by the by), featuring one of the worst mispronunciations ever, which comes out sounding like: "Double you see handy, won't you look down over me." He's trying to say, "W.C. Handy". Took me a while to figure that one out!

A few songs that do a good job at putting proper pronunciation, stressed and unstressed syllables, and natural grammatical pauses in the proper places (not perfect, but pretty good):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3LFML_pxlY - an old classic, by one of the 20th centuries best word-smiths (Paul Simon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG6NtKKIYh0 - one of the better songs in the modern folk underground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1YQIHTJCYs - perhaps my favorite all-time song. It's friggin' fantastic! One of the better travelin' songs ever written. Gotta go back to Woody Guthrie, Pete Seger, and Bob Dylan to get to stuff this good; along with a select few other modern folks singers, such as Ellis Paul and Chris O'Brien, and the songwriters in Nashville that nobody knows about.

Dylan's song 'Tangled Up in Blue' is one that really does a great job with line extensions, throwing you for a loop at the end of each 'chorus'; though this particular song doesn't have the traditional 'same word in every line' for each individual chorus. Just when you think that the resolution is coming, you perk up your ears, thinking, "Oh, there's more?! Let me listen up!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwSZvHqf9qM

I really tried to emphasize these elements in my own writing, which is why I laughed when G'Kar said, "The words and I shall be locked in mortal combat!" I know THAT feeling! Funny how sometimes it would just 'flow', and other times, I spent months working out one line, or one word! But if Frost can take 10 years to write a two-line poem, then I figure, hey, must just be this way sometimes :-)

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Thu May 26, 2016 5:38 pm

I mentioned it in chat, but I submit again here that there is a a lot of fun rhyming potential for the first name Dewey. "Aw phooey!" after mentioning mainstream scientific failure to come up with a satisfactory answer for something seems like it could have some relevance to the spirit of the task at hand.

As to rhyming with Larson, Carson comes to mind.. I don't know what kind of allusion to the Johnny Carson show could be made but it does rhyme. There's also the way that hip hop rhymes words with others that are hard to rhyme with by using multiple words. For instance, rather than rhyming Larson with Carson, you split it up and rhyme it with car, son. Ya dig? :D
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Thu May 26, 2016 8:55 pm

"There's also the way that hip hop rhymes words with others that are hard to rhyme with by using multiple words. For instance, rather than rhyming Larson with Carson, you split it up and rhyme it with car, son. Ya dig?"

Yeah, I dig :lol:

There are lots of different techniques in poetic rhyming, depending upon the literary technique being used. Most people simply go for the perfect rhyme (what you've got here with "car, son" is still a perfect rhyme, but broken up into two words). It's when you start playing around with 'off' rhymes and unbalanced stanzas that things become interesting, from a lyrical standpoint. A 'departure' from a datum base :-)

It's interesting that you mention hip hop. There actually are a few extremely skilled lyricists in the world of hip hop, Marshall Mathers being at the top of that list. When you start digging into his writing style, you begin to realize that this guy isn't just throwing down words onto a piece of paper. There's quite a bit of 'hidden' technique that goes into what he is doing. Boy knows his stuff. It leads one to wonder: With the great lyric and songwriters, how much of what they were doing was merely instinctual, and how much of it was done consciously, i.e. awareness of the literally techniques being used?

In terms of 'Dewey': It would be possible to rhyme the word 'Dewey' ("Ah Fooey!" is a good one), but that could prove to be quite tricky; particularly if you are going to use his full name in the chorus, because you are going to need to rhyme BOTH 'Dewey' and 'Larson'. Take, for example, a "Rimmer Experience" spoof. Note the syllabic scansion 'key':

_ = an unstressed syllable
/ = a stressed syllable

He's good, he's great, he's Dewey Larson
_ / _ /, _ Fooey/Gooey/Chewy/Kablooey Arson/Carson/Parson ??????

We haven't chosen an easy one here! Names are always a bit tough, because you've only got so much to work with. At least with a name like 'Rimmer' we've got some options!!

The leitmotif is the one that I am going to work on first. Then I'm thinking that attention can be turned to 'spoofing' the psyche of Arnold Rimmer :-)
Last edited by Billy on Thu May 26, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Thu May 26, 2016 9:10 pm

Actually, I take that back: When all else fails, just make it up! "Quimmer, Schlimmer, Plimmer, Zimmer"?? Say what?! Unless, of course, those are ACTUAL slang terms used in England! Any quantum mechanics terms that we can use here? What rhymes with 'quasar'? :roll:

If you're in trouble he will save the day
He's brave and he's fearless come what may
Without him the mission would go astray

He's Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer
Without him life would be much grimmer
He's handsome, trim, and no-one slimmer
He will never need a zimmer

More reliable than a garden trimmer
He's never been mistaken for Yul Brynner
He's not bald, and his head doesn't glimmer

Master of the wit and the repartee
His command of space directives is uncanny
How come he's such a genius? Don't ask me!

Ask Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer
He's also a fantastic swimmer
And if you play your cards right
Then he just might come round for dinner

No rhymes left now apart from quimmer
He'd better fade us out before we get to schlimmer
Fade out you stupid plimmer

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:35 pm

Billy wrote: It's interesting that you mention hip hop. There actually are a few extremely skilled lyricists in the world of hip hop, Marshall Mathers being at the top of that list. When you start digging into his writing style, you begin to realize that this guy isn't just throwing down words onto a piece of paper. There's quite a bit of 'hidden' technique that goes into what he is doing. Boy knows his stuff. It leads one to wonder: With the great lyric and songwriters, how much of what they were doing was merely instinctual, and how much of it was done consciously, i.e. awareness of the literally techniques being used?
I've wondered the very same. Mathers is a lyrical genius. I have to figure that he has some conscious inclination as to what he's doing but then again, hip hop is an outgrowth of 'flow' so it could very well be instinctual. Whatever the case may be, it's incredibly impressive.
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:12 am

Hey all,

Just want to put up a quick post here, letting ya'll know that I've written a theme song for the Sanctuary Project. The title of this little jingle is "Get on Board". I'm currently working on getting in touch with a local guitarist/studio engineer (friend of a friend) to lay down a very basic scratch track (guitar and vocals only).

As soon as I have that together, I will upload the MP3 file here to this Board, to get feedback from others.