Sanctuary theme song - scratch vocal

Discussion of the basic concepts and philosophy behind the idea of a Sanctuary; a place where those exhibiting traits of the next generation of man can meet and learn, without prejudice or bias.
Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Sanctuary theme song - scratch vocal

Post by Billy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:57 pm

Hey all,

Attached you'll find a very rough scratch vocal of a song that I've written, "Get on Board". Lyrics are also attached.

I wrote this month's ago, but was waiting to have some instrumentation added by a friend of mine. Me and my "gotta be perfect" attitude.

Anyhow, let me know what you think. Again, bear in mind that this is a very rough version of the song. Once guitar, percussion, bass, etc. are added, and the song is mastered, it will 'wake it up', at which point I can record the final vocals on over this. Also, the "doo-doo-doo's" are not meant to be sung. This is the instrumental hook. But I don't finger pick on guitar, so I had to sing these instead.

But, the important question is: Musically and lyrically, does this fit what we are seeking? It's basically a "call out" to any independent investigators out there, to catch their attention. Bear in mind also that there are a few 'silly' parts. When I wrote these, I had in mind the scrolling images on ReciprocalSystem.org. And, I have a number of ideas in mind for a music video. Those ideas consist of a canoe, a gently flowing forest stream, wooden signs pointing in the direction of the Sanctuary grounds, a stuffy-shirted professor holding in his hand a book with the title, "Manual for controlling your life", and a puppet of Yoda :-)
Attachments
Get on Board.mp3
(4.24 MiB) Downloaded 37 times
Get on Board.pdf
(46.11 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Last edited by LoneBear on Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added attachments

Andrew
Centurio
Centurio

Re: Sanctuary theme song - scratch vocal

Post by Andrew » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:29 pm

I really liked it. It makes sense you had the images of the website in mind when writing the song. It almost has a cartoon vibe to it. Like an intro to an awesome show you looked forward to as a kid. And yeah, I'd definitely take the manual being held out.
"Classical historians traditionally dismiss tales of magic as unworthy of scholarly attention, but to us any mention of a witch's broomstick or wizard's wand evokes the smell of a scientist's laboratory." The Sphinx and the Megaliths

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:16 am

It does seem to play on the Laverne & Shirley theme song, is a bit humorous and somewhat cute. It is nice to hear a song that does not take itself too seriously--but still conveys a serious message, safely.

Looking forward to the instrumental.
4 8 15 16 23 42

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:05 pm

Hey all,

Great, I appreciate the feedback. It appears that we've got something solid in place here. I've sent this version off to my friend, and am awaiting word back. It's going to take a bit of time to gather everyone together in the studio to record the instrumental parts. After this comes mixing, then the final vocals, a bit more mixing, and then the final master track. But I'm on it. It's tough not being there back in Boston with my friend, but the great thing about digital recording is that you don't necessarily need to be in the same room together to get it done.

Once the instrumentals have been recorded, I'll find a studio in SLC to record the final vocals. Shouldn't take more than one hour of studio time.

Looking forward to having the final version in place in the near future.

Lozion
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Lozion » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:17 pm

I can mix it on my desk ;)
In rapport we thrive, in rivalry we strive.

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi Lozion,

Thanks for this, but I'm going to have my friend do it at his studio in Boston. All of the instrumentation will be recorded there. Once the mixing is done, he will plug the track into this home mastering program (he has many different mastering pre-sets that he has spent years developing, each one geared towards a specific musical sound/style; and he has quite an ear for what is needed in any given situation). So, for overall quality, I think that it's best for him to handle all of this. But again, thanks for the offer.

Lozion
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Lozion » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:30 pm

All good, was just offering some help..
Be aware this trend of preset mastering can be destructive. Nothing like anatomic golden ears for a proper job. :mrgreen:

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:53 pm

All good, was just offering some help..
And I do appreciate this. Again, I look forward to continuing to work on this track, and to share with everyone the final version.

Lozion
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Lozion » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:15 pm

Lozion wrote:All good, was just offering some help..
Be aware this trend of preset mastering can be destructive. Nothing like anatomic golden ears for a proper job. :mrgreen:
Oups, just re-read myself and saw I missed my joke.. stereoatomic golden ears.. oh well.

dave432
Centurio
Centurio

Post by dave432 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:50 am

Inside lies reciprocity,
And the gift of overunity.
They’re nature’s way of working in rapport.
This was my favorite part. It's catchy with a lot of information in very few words.
Looking forward to hearing the final mix.
Nice job.

Wondering if mentioning Yoda brings up the light vs. dark paradigm in the unconscious instead of a third option of refusing to be boxed in to having only two choices? Since Star Wars enforces a one side or the other attitude, and characters in literature who actually buck the system are marginalized for their individuality, maybe more quotes from Fr. Perrault could be worked in somewhere.
"just down the road a little way, turn left, cross the drawbridge, and you will be my guest tonight."
-- directions to the grail castle. We'll have some toast.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:32 pm

dave432 wrote:Since Star Wars enforces a one side or the other attitude, and characters in literature who actually buck the system are marginalized for their individuality, maybe more quotes from Fr. Perrault could be worked in somewhere.
Perhaps we should start thinking in terms of a "music video" here... a good lead-in would be Fr. Perrault (Charles Boyer)'s comment, "There comes a time in every man's life where he touches the eternal..."

Regarding song... I'm not too sure I like the up-down count, because going up, as they did in Laverne & Shirley, is a buildup whereas going back down is more of a "let down."

Any idea what kind of instrumentals will go with it? Guess I'm hoping it won't just be guitar, keyboard and drums...
4 8 15 16 23 42

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:26 pm

Perhaps we should start thinking in terms of a "music video" here... a good lead-in would be Fr. Perrault (Charles Boyer)'s comment, "There comes a time in every man's life where he touches the eternal..."
Yep, I've been doing that. Have a lot of ideas here. I do like where you are coming from with a quote from Father Perrault; though we may have to be weary of 'copyright' issues here. Case in point: Brian pointed out to me that there is one particular part, (the first two lines of the second verse), that mirror the notes sung by John Denver in 'Leaving on a Jet Plane'. Because of this, I've had to change the melody line slightly there, as Brian is careful not to record parts that are borrowed directly from other songs, for this very reason. Makes sense; and quite honestly, I didn't even hear it until Brian pointed it out to me. Happy little accident. So, perhaps rather than quote Father Perrault directly, we can create an intro line of our own.

I'm imagining that the Chorus will jump into a scene on a stream with a canoe, with wooden, arrow-like signs pointing around the bend of the stream, to the grounds of the Sanctuary (as well as things such as, "Kindness, Rapport, Homo Sapiens Ethicus"). We can have another sign post adjacent to this pointing in the opposite direction, away from the water, with words such as, "City, Rivalry, Rat Race", etc. There will be at least one of us in the canoe, pushing off shore, paddling around the bend, into the forest. Of course, this is going to require the right set-up, but I think that you get the general idea. For the part with the 'stuffy professor', I'm imagining just that: A classroom scene, with a chalk-board and desks, (or we can have a 'forest' type classroom set up, i.e. an alternative to that which so many have been accustomed to, based upon so many of the conversations we've had here previously), where the concepts behind the Reciprocal System are being taught. One of us dresses up in a white lab coat (or a really old-fashioned type of vintage suit), with a goofy wig (ala Einstein's haircut), and a corn-cob pipe. This 'expert' attempts to reprimand us for what we are doing, holding in his hand a copy of 'Manual for Controlling Your Life'. Along comes Gopi, with a book of his own (insert title of this manual here _____________ :-). Gopi turns him around, and we cut to a scene on the stream, in which the professor now has his pants and shirt sleeves rolled up. He splashes into the water, hops into the canoe, and heads downstream, (with two of us already in the canoe paddling), laughing as he goes.

I'm also imagining a hand puppet of Master Yoda popping up in the classroom, from behind a mossy tree.

I know that all of this requires props and the right scenery, but I think that we can make it work, and on the cheap. It'll take some creativity, for sure. I myself have never before been involved in shooting a video, but I've been around enough of it to have an idea as to how perhaps we can put it together. Most of all, it'll be fun!
Regarding song... I'm not too sure I like the up-down count, because going up, as they did in Laverne & Shirley, is a buildup whereas going back down is more of a "let down."
I hear what you're saying, but I didn't get that same feeling (of course, I'm a bit biased here :-). It does take others looking in from the outside to really provide this type of feedback, that I myself as the writer might miss). I did this as a bit of a 'spoof' on the Laverne and Shirley intro, and I had Gopi's 'Sacred Geometry' presentation in mind when I did it, i.e. unity on up to a 4th dimension, then back down into the zero point, where it inverts. Does anyone else feel that it is a bit of a let down, counting backwards? We can of course always simply cut this out, and just go right into the music. Or, I can sit down and think up another speaking intro part, one that does not necessarily mimic that of 'Make All Our Dreams Come True'.

One thing that I had been thinking: Recall the intro music played on the RS2 video presentations done by Bruce, where you've got the 'spinning coin' graphic, i.e. that 'cartoony' type of sound. We might be able to use this exact track as the backdrop to the whole "one, two, three, four, three, two, one, zero" bit; or to a speaking part such as the one mentioned above. At least, it's a thought. Bruce: do you still have that audio file?
Any idea what kind of instrumentals will go with it? Guess I'm hoping it won't just be guitar, keyboard and drums...
I've begun this conversation with Brian, just to get a feel for what he might be thinking, as I really do trust his word as an engineer.

The instrumental arrangements of the Laverne and Shirley theme song are pretty basic, but do feature horns as well as tambourine. Both may be options here (certainly tambourine, if we want it). I'm already hearing a number of arrangement ideas in my head, (crescendos, snare hits, etc.), and I just need to present these to Brian.

There are several uber-talented folks whom have played on past records of mine, so we'd be set for fretless bass (which offers a really unique sound, one that I like better than a standard bass), drums, acoustic guitar, and keys. Again, all of these folks are local hometown Boston boys, and outstanding players. I've reached out and asked about the possibility of a percussionist, as opposed to straight drums; though that would very much change the feel of the track. I have been envisioning the track being very much driven by the acoustic guitar, with keys providing an additional instrumental layer.

In terms of brass: We might be able to get this, as there is a connection with a fellow who played saxophone for John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band.

Let me know what others may be hearing here. Bear in mind that it's a pretty basic 'jingle' type of song, so I don't think that we want to get too far out in left field in terms of the instrumentation. Again, though, brass (sax, possibly trumpet), tambourine, etc., all may be available to us here.

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:16 pm

I just realized something: That quote that I use from Yoda is taken directly from the Star Wars film, so I'm wondering if there is an issue here. I would think that Brian would have pointed it out, so I don't anticipate this to be the case, as I believe that copyright infringement may only come into play should we try to sell the song directly. I've reached out to Brian to ask about this.
Wondering if mentioning Yoda brings up the light vs. dark paradigm in the unconscious instead of a third option of refusing to be boxed in to having only two choices? Since Star Wars enforces a one side or the other attitude, and characters in literature who actually buck the system are marginalized for their individuality, maybe more quotes from Fr. Perrault could be worked in somewhere.
The quote that I took from Yoda is one that has been repeated here, on many an occasion. It seems to have served as a point of inspiration, because it makes so much sense. I also think that Yoda is universally viewed as a wise, benevolent figure, similar to Dumbledore, Gandalf, etc. And, I did it to get across a rather important message by employing humor to do so.

Pertaining to Father Perrault: We can most certainly use a quote from 'Lost Horizon', but again, I want to make certain that copyright issues are not at play here. I will wait to hear back, and will let everyone know. It may just be that Brian, in reference to the accidental mimicking of John Denver's song, and his subsequent desire that I sing these few lines differently, was taking a page from the Songwriter's handbook, i.e. originality is what guides the songwriter, and, when composing music and/or melody lines, it's a big no-no to borrow melodic lines directly from other songs. In this case, it was happenstance, but I'm certain that Denver's song was inching its way forward from some place deep in my subconscious :-)

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Music / Video copyright use

Post by LoneBear » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:17 pm

I don't know much about music copyrights (which have always seemed ridiculous to me), but isn't there something like a "fair use" clause, as there is with copyrighted books and papers? I mean really... there is so much "music" (and I use the term loosely) out there that you probably cannot say two words without it violating someone's copyright. If you look on YouTube, there are millions of people using music for backgrounds and such that I really doubt are paying royalties to some company to use.

The intro audio to the old videos was from the soundtrack to "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" (an old Don Knotts film). Yes, I still have it.
4 8 15 16 23 42

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:54 pm

I don't know much about music copyrights (which have always seemed ridiculous to me), but isn't there something like a "fair use" clause, as there is with copyrighted books and papers? I mean really... there is so much "music" (and I use the term loosely) out there that you probably cannot say two words without it violating someone's copyright. If you look on YouTube, there are millions of people using music for backgrounds and such that I really doubt are paying royalties to some company to use.
Yeah, I think that you are correct on this: the "Fair Use" clause allows for this type of thing; again, so long as you are not attempting to sell the song directly for a profit. Awaiting word back on this. I do know that there is an age limit to copyright clauses, and once they run out, that information is free to use in the public domain, without restriction. I also know that the Fair Use clause allows other artists to cover any song they choose; again, bearing in mind that recording another's song and attempting to sell it for your own profit gain is a copyright infringement. And you're right: It is all fairly absurd, and even with the copyrights, there are numerous examples of artists borrowing entire melody lines from other less known sources (the theme song of the original 'Ghostbusters' film is a good example of this. They are totally ripping off a tune by Huey Lewis and the News, note for note). So, in a sense, it's meant to protect artistic creativity. Without it, and what with people being people, we'd have theft of music going on all over the place. However, just like everything else, it's become fairly well convoluted.
The intro audio to the old videos was from the soundtrack to "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" (an old Don Knotts film). Yes, I still have it.
Good to know. Another thought I had: Rather than the 'counting' intro, I'm now thinking about beginning the video by slowly fading/dissolving into a beautiful nature scene, while at the same time a voice is speaking the line from Lost Horizon, (how does it go?), "Have you ever dreamt of a place far away from it all?" Along with this we could perhaps have the sound of the wind playing along with the voice. Then, the nine note melody line comes in, (preceded by a 'slide' on the fretless bass), and we get to the first verse. Does that make sense? Hard to spell it out on the page. Would make more sense if I was there in the room. But I think that ya'll get the idea.