The Sanctuary Project

Discussion of the basic concepts and philosophy behind the idea of a Sanctuary; a place where those exhibiting traits of the next generation of man can meet and learn, without prejudice or bias.
DSKlausler
Centurio
Centurio

Re: The Sanctuary Project

Post by DSKlausler » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:28 am

deepfsh wrote:
Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:32 am
On the other hand, I know of a self-sufficient community in our country which operates in rapport with nature and is very successful at it.
Good morning (here),

I would not think of pestering these people, but I am very interested in such a community. I have only a few years until my "children" should be capable of fending for themselves. This is not a dream for me, this is more like ditching most of my technical expertise (software), and [further] developing my natural skills (food/health)... a transition. I make note of this because I could likely contribute immediately - I'm not an urban zombie. I would appreciate more information on this particular group, if available. Feel free to send it privately if you wish.

For some reason, I do not think that I could start up such a group, thus my desire to jump into an already established community. I'm actually interested in any currently successful group of this type... so I welcome information others may have as well.

Thanks,

Dave
Anything is possible with the proper training.

daniel
Centurio
Centurio

Post by daniel » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:29 pm

DSKlausler wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:28 am
I'm actually interested in any currently successful group of this type... so I welcome information others may have as well.
After 30+ years of looking, I can honestly say that there aren't any "groups of this type," except for the fictional society of Shangri-La from Lost Horizon. But from my interactions with those involved here trying to make it a reality, there might be one in the near future.

So I guess the choice is simple... wait for somebody else to do the work, or help get it going yourself.
Don't ever trust the people that claim the right to rule you. --Larken Rose

DSKlausler
Centurio
Centurio

Post by DSKlausler » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:30 am

daniel wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:29 pm
So I guess the choice is simple... wait for somebody else to do the work, or help get it going yourself.
Absolutely correct. "Help" is key. If I were to list my attributes that might aid such a community, the list would likely be short, and at the top would be "Manual Labor" - expert. Other than that, Good at many, Expert at none.

If the location bantered about holds, I would say that Utah (in general), unless high, is far too arid. My routine search for "cabin" always includes "adjacent to stream" or other "permanent" water source. Rain and cistern usage would be monumental as the primary source. High Uintas Wilderness (too high) is my favoite backpacking target.

DSKlausler
Centurio
Centurio

Post by DSKlausler » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:56 am

I was thinking about this the other day... the Sanctuary, in general.

You do know what the "authorities" are doing in Colorado to those "Small House" people, yes? Solar, and personal wind systems are also under attack. In many places now, off-the-grid is under attack - yes, attack.

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere, but what makes you think that a viable self-sustaining community will be "left alone?" Not a chance in my view... especially one that challenges the status quo on so many levels.

Captain Fantastic, although flawed, covered some of this nicely.

Hidden is a necessity, and nearly impossible with potentially dozens of people.

Edit: should have said "In this country"

Billy
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Billy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:16 am

I think that the nature of this thread has begun to veer away from proactive methods of thought, i.e. "what can we do to make it work?", to more of a "here are the roadblocks" type of a discussion. It's easy to fall into this trap. But one thing that I'm learning now is that nature itself communicates and responds in a vastly different type of manner, and in different terms, that those to which we are so accustomed. We've been pigeonholed into these types of thought processes, being driven by pure emotion and fear, and this in turns clogs our internal systems of communication with nature, obfuscating the processes of natural law.

Know that the challenges that face us are being addressed, and in detail, but that the nature of the discussions, and the steps being taken, have very much segued into a proactive type of approach, which is encouraging. In the words of Commander Peter Quincy Taggart, "Never give up, never surrender!" Maybe it's time to activate the Omega 13... :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fdcIwHKd_s

DSKlausler
Centurio
Centurio

Post by DSKlausler » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:41 pm

Billy wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:16 am
Know that the challenges that face us are being addressed, and in detail, but that the nature of the discussions, and the steps being taken, have very much segued into a proactive type of approach, which is encouraging.
As I offered: "Maybe this has been covered elsewhere..." but I certainly have not read such, and would be interested in these identified challenges, and how they are being addressed. I did not intend on re-directing the thread, but if I had seen such issues already covered, I might not have mentioned roadblocks at all.
Billy wrote:
..."what can we do to make it work?"
This would include circumventing or eliminating roadblocks, no?

Please point me to the discussion, if available.

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:23 pm

DSKlausler wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:41 pm
Billy wrote:
Know that the challenges that face us are being addressed, and in detail, but that the nature of the discussions, and the steps being taken, have very much segued into a proactive type of approach, which is encouraging.
As I offered: "Maybe this has been covered elsewhere..." but I certainly have not read such, and would be interested in these identified challenges, and how they are being addressed. I did not intend on re-directing the thread, but if I had seen such issues already covered, I might not have mentioned roadblocks at all.
Billy wrote:
..."what can we do to make it work?"
This would include circumventing or eliminating roadblocks, no?

Please point me to the discussion, if available.
Identifying and addressing potential roadblocks is necessary. What I read from what Billy wrote was a desire to keep this from becoming focus on how things won't work. There's a difference with that and identifying obstacles, I think.

I haven't been down to the area in the Southern part of the state yet to get a feel for the land myself, but from what has been relayed to me about it, it is an area that isn't bone dry.
You do know what the "authorities" are doing in Colorado to those "Small House" people, yes? Solar, and personal wind systems are also under attack. In many places now, off-the-grid is under attack - yes, attack.

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere, but what makes you think that a viable self-sustaining community will be "left alone?"
As for our development of a community and that being problematic where the status quo is concerned, my thoughts are that the community that we are attempting to build is a community of people who live and operate in close proximity to each other. We're unlikely to build a compound to live in which is something that automatically hits radars. I think it's more of an organic kind of thing where some people are moving to the same area, building lives and business /generating revenue. I'm not abreast of what's going on in Colorado, but I'd say this in regards to our becoming self sustaining -- we don't have the resources to make that transition up front. If anything, we'll be working more and more towards that, but as it is right now, we are looking at working with the system. At least until we are able to blanket ourselves from radar so that when we drop off of it it there won't be any reason for the system to be alarmed.
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

joeyv23
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by joeyv23 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:47 am

Correction/clarification.. The word I italicized above requires the suffix -in to be attached in order to aptly describe the position being taken.
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

DSKlausler
Centurio
Centurio

Post by DSKlausler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:09 am

Thanks for the info.