Charmed

Discussion of the basic concepts and philosophy behind the idea of a Sanctuary; a place where those exhibiting traits of the next generation of man can meet and learn, without prejudice or bias.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Charmed

Post by LoneBear » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:07 pm

Over the last week or so, I watched Season 7 of "Charmed", a TV series about three sisters whom are witches, the "Charmed Ones". (Post contains spoilers for series 7; might want to watch it first).

The first half of season 7 was quite interesting, as it was about a group of ancient super beings known as Avatars, whom had a plan to turn the Earth into a Utopia. What was particularly interesting, was that both the Angels (called the "Elders" in the series) and the Demons were both dead against the Avatars bringing in Utopia, because it also meant an end to the dichotomy of good versus evil--and they'd both be out of jobs!

The angels and demons started working together to eliminate the Avatars, but failed, and the Avatars created a Utopia on Earth. What they did was simply to put the world to sleep for a couple hours, then reprogram the human collective mind to eliminate "fear." Without fear of death, loss, starvation, suffering, disease... everyone became quite happy since there was nothing to worry about.

But as usual, there is a "catch"... there were a few people who would override the collective programming and the fear would get through, causing them to become angry and violent. The Avatar solution was simple--erase them. Wasn't a problem for others, because they had no fear of death, and those erased simply went on to a better place.

In the end, the Avatars were forced to switch the world back to the fear-based havoc it now is, because the combined efforts of the angels, demons, Charmed Ones and the betrayal of an Elder-turned-Avatar, whom forced them to because they couldn't tolerate the Avatars playing "god" and deciding who lived and who died.

I, for one, liked the Avatar's Utopia far better than the chaotic world of fear and suffering. The Avatars, prior to switching things back, tried to point out that because of their selection of "playing god", far, far fewer people actually died. With a world without fear, there was no war, few accidents and one never had to worry about starving or having a place to live because everyone else would help them out. Man didn't have to spend most of his time trying to survive... he was free to pursue higher goals.

I can't help but notice the similarity with what the Els had intended for the Earth, until the angels (Confederation) and demons (Orions) forced this world into the fear-based dichotomy of good versus evil. As the Avatars so often pointed out, you can't have good without evil, nor evil without good. They path they described was remarkably similar to the "Keb" discussions we have had here.

What I did get out of the series of episodes with the Avatars was one thing, quite clear: you cannot have a Sanctuary (Utopia) with fear running things. But since I can't stop the world and eliminate fear, how would one go about doing it?

(It is also curious that the Elders of Charmed have a sacred language--which sounds like a series of rapid "clicks.")

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Previous steps, and next step

Post by Gopi » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:36 pm

LoneBear, in the 'Charmed' post wrote:But as usual, there is a "catch"... there were a few people who would override the collective programming and the fear would get through, causing them to become angry and violent. The Avatar solution was simple--erase them. Wasn't a problem for others, because they had no fear of death, and those erased simply went on to a better place.
The "experiment" of the Avatars has basically one problem, where they bypass the need for Free Will by citing reasons "for the greater good". Now the Els being for individual good, this is the first point that has to be changed.

Hand in hand with that is the removal of the web of fear. A better alternative for that could be the removal based on request... or "initiation".

I have long felt that the Sanctuary must not be an equalized entry, but one of equalized opportunity. For example, I learned more during the period leading up to the entry to my college than I did (academically) after reaching here, because the entrance level was far FAR tougher than what goes on after entering the place. All students had an equal opportunity to get in... which motivated them to undergo training. I suspect this is what happened in case of Tollan... the Entrance examination level started getting lowered.

Let me just summarize the different ideas regarding Sanctuary that I have encountered:

1. Lost Horizon (by James Hilton)

Motto: "Be moderate, be kind". Probably the best in terms of actual learning, but with one drawback... lack of fresh blood, and gradual decay of the existing population. The main reason for this was that the place was too much of a mystery... and much too inaccessible. The only ones who had really achieved a high level of growth were those who had entered the place from outside, and were not indigenous to the place. Goes to show that the place must be known, or else it will soon be lost, being cut off from raw material.

2. 2150 AD (Thea Alexander)

Motto: "The Macro-view". This was essentially a view of the Macro Society, where fear based living has been replaced with one utilizing the big picture. Two interesting points here are the "Levels" of qualification from 1 through 10 and the existence near a micro society (Micro Island). We can compare our Tier-I with Micro and Tier-II with Macro levels' awareness. Save for a bit of a confusion regarding the family setup (I didn't understand how exactly they made having children a qualified affair ) I personally think that this is the best working example, or ideal, for sanctuary. The setting up of Macro society was easier for these people, as most of the 1st Tier chaps annihilated each other leaving the way free for a new society to evolve. However, we cannot exactly wait around for that to happen, though it is happening right now. I feel those interested must be able to read this book... can I post a copy without worrying about copyrights?

3. Star Trek: Insurrection

Motto: "No Technology". This movie shows the result of building a society based on the ideals of the Freedom Club... a community where aging slows as people reach puberty. The Ba'ku still retain technical knowledge, and have sharp intellects. With the belief that technology robs an individual of valuable lessons. The Els have a middle path here too, rather than have an Atlantean lifestyle or to have no technology whatsoever, the idea was to make the technology depend on the evolution of the individual.

4. Stargate Atlantis: Epiphany

In this episode, the Sanctuary is a place where time progresses much faster than on the outside, enabling the populace to evolve enough, away from the other civilizations. However, again it is noticed that the real insight arrives from outside.. where Shepard asks them to face their fears. Apparently the fear based ideas would pop up sooner or later if any place is isolated, as that would mean redoing many things on a smaller scale. Bringing us back to qualification.

5. The Lemurian Gurukula

The "Sanctuary" for the original Lemurians was more delocalized... a number of Gurukula locations spread out over an area. The sanctuary was a school/university. Youngsters chosen for this were taken away at the age of seven and then taught to transfer the parental projections to the Guru or mentor. Access to the Alter Mundi was done via Yagna, or Magick. The system was pretty effective, especially the learn/teach systems, but the only trouble was with the relations with the opposite sex. Being a civilization with asexual means of reproduction, they unsuccessfully tried to duplicate the same thing here by forbidding sexual interaction.

So what do we know?
  • Some simple 'rules'
  • Keeping the place accessible, but with qualification
  • Technology: Yes, with qualification. (See some of LoneBear's posts about intensive tech)
So, knowing all this, what can we do?
  • Put out the call for the advanced ones... we need teachers/students.
  • Act... in teaching some of the topics discussed here at a local level, and learning how to get the system working by trying out some small projects: getting the ZPM tech, identifying the coursework and TALKING to people, particularly the ones one the way to Tier-2. Doing some homework to get over the personal web of fear will help a lot... gotta live by example.
  • Find a place separate, yet connected via communication technology, to the 'outside world'.
  • Start building a school, which can be extended to include other aspects of life as it grows.
  • Decide an "entry" qualification: like a vMeme test.
  • Allow things to move onwards.

Individuals always have areas of expertise, and currently things are moving like this... Lone Bear is focusing more on getting the ZPM up to speed, I am working on teaching some of the concepts at my University, and identifying some TPs. Jesus (cointraeu) has been focusing on identifying a good place for the sanctuary, and the last I heard, has even found a good place.

If any one else has felt their internal light turn from red to green, please post!
It is time.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Previous steps, and next step

Post by LoneBear » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:36 pm

Good observation about the "external influences". It's like your buddies out there in Shambhala, whom, though being very spiritual, probably haven't had a new thought in the last thousand years because they are so isolated.

What I think you are describing is simply entropy. There is an episode of Dr. Who (Tom Baker) called Logopolis that makes this point... in any closed system, entropy increases until things decay into nothingness. (As Dr. Who put it, "the harder you try to hold something together, the faster it falls apart").

The Logoi of Logopolis realized that the Universe was a closed system, and hence would also eventually die out. To prevent this, they opened the system by creating portals to other Universes, "charged vacuum emboitements", that kept our Universe open and growing.

The introduction of external people in the closed systems you mentioned are reducing entropy in those systems. But the question is: where does "entropy" fit, in the scheme of things?

In "Beyond Space and Time", Dewey Larson points out that the primary difference between his "Level 1: inanimate" (Ra's 1st density) and "Level 2: animate" (2nd density) is that the process of "growth" inverts. In 1st density, growth is gravitation--pulling together more and more stuff to get bigger. But in 2nd density, life, growth is spreading out by making many smaller parts (reproduction), the opposite.

So, when one becomes homo novus, they have essentially crossed a level, moving from 3rd to 4th density as a modus operandi. In that case, it may be that entropy inverts, and that an open system may be the cause of decay, whereas a closed, social environment would promote growth.

On a personal perspective, I have spent most of my life away from "civilization", and found those are the times that I learn and grow the most. When in a social system, I find that for me, entropy increases and starts to wear me down and prevent learning new things--opposite to what Gopi describes. (It may be because I open the system in different areas).

When one starts dealing with 4th density consciousness, do the laws of entropy still apply?

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Charmed

Post by Alluvion » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:51 pm

It depends on how you define Utopia - and most examples illustrate that it requires the debasement of a local non-local principle: free-will. Huxley's "Brave New World" is a profoundly illustrative of a Utopian society - individuals are hardly that, are programmed from birth, are immediately assimilated into some kind of social-collective system and are, from birth, denied their free will. Even their comprehension of free will.

Utopia is NOT Sanctuary - and thank god for my solitude. I do beleive that a major function of the senses and the active/ego personality is not to tell us about how the world truly is but is to display for us who/how and what we beleive we are - I think this is the karmic, illusory, demonic drunkednes (skandhas of buddhism, if I recall correctly) that lets the subconscious wash over the rational, conscious mind which seeks to evolve through a deliberate and wholistic approach towards spirit. And one must learn to give power to ones rationl mind over its irrational mind so that the two can be equipped to confront each other and address that which one carries but is unaware of. Utopia which prevents this possibility, which overrides or jams that programming is terrifying to me.

On the other hand, the most immediate fear for anyone when confronted with a lawless people and truly solitary individuation is that it brings death that much closer. But people of power in ancient cultures, aka - shamans, were part of people who were both actively peaceful and at other times actively bellicose - but in a culture where you could feed, clothe, defend and shelter yourself without the need for another to do it for you, your free will was paramount. Your choice between comfort and submission or freedom and hard-work could more easily be addressed. At least, as I picture it but of course, its just an arm-chair theory.

The real test is beyond divining - how do beings which have gone through this local 3rd density process evolve? what is the result of all this experimentation? Most American's fear suffering more than they ever really do suffer - is that virtual process effective at all? Does it cause the necessary changes in consciousness which lead to an individual Choosing evolution and Choosing to 'polarize' ?
Probably not. Being eternally content is not what this game-board life is all about, apparently. And frankly, we all pretty much share the idea that we knew what we were getting into. Following this we knew it would involve forgetting so we knew to try and plan ahead for waking up.

Yes we are in an exhaustive and seeminly endless shitstorm. I am consoled by the fact that although I sympathize with the suffering of those who are lost, I am not their messiah. And they are not mine. I am mine and when it comes down to it, I have to take care of myself first before I can ever truly be a helpful source for anyone else. In a Utopia, that becoming would never happen. In a Sanctuary, that goal would exist in all experiences at all scales.

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Re: Previous steps, and next step

Post by Gopi » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:55 am

LoneBear wrote:On a personal perspective, I have spent most of my life away from "civilization", and found those are the times that I learn and grow the most. When in a social system, I find that for me, entropy increases and starts to wear me down and prevent learning new things--opposite to what Gopi describes.
Now that you mention it, it has worked the same way with me too. When I am by myself, going about daily stuff, I feel 'released', while being substantially slack when constantly interacting with people. I had read in Malcolm Gladwell's Tipping Point about the Rule of 150: social systems which increase to an active population of beyond 150 starts breaking down the relation between all of them. True for classes, communities, companies... Couldn't help noticing how close this is to the Inter Regional Ratio!! Though this may be true only for the third density.

The Law of Entropy in conventional physics, for first density, is that for a CLOSED/ISOLATED system, the entropy increases. And it is seen in 2nd density that for a closed isolated system, entropy decreases (e.g. life on earth). Following this, for third density a closed isolated system works as you said about Doctor Who--entropy increases. So that works out, a 3D Shambhalla must have been open for best results. It just hit me... third density "school" is always "open", except probably for summer holidays.

Following the same logic, 4th density "school" has gotta be closed, isolated system to decrease entropy... but, being the reciprocal of the second density, the "closure" must be in time, not space. What this probably means is that the planetary social memory complex must form: connected in time but may be spread out in space.

So, I guess the people in Sanctuary have to have a closed circle of SMC-mates. Adding or subtracting might not be too great. Like how the Avatars are considerably weakened by the loss of even one member (I wonder if they had a social memory complex?)

Hence, I think that a closed SMC, but open staying area is probably most beneficial. A little snippet keeping in mind that the SMC emphasizes on the individual, or the "I"...

Till last by Philip's farm I flow
To join the brimming river,
For men may come and men may go,
But I go on for ever.

- Alfred Lord Tennyson

:D Philip's, I see!
It is time.