Education, method, and structure

The Institute is a non-profit, educational institution for the public promotion of the ideas and concepts put forth within the context of the Sanctuary Project. This forum is to discuss the structure of the Institute, requirements and the teach/learn and learn/teach systems.
Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

Education, method, and structure

Post by Tulan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:14 pm

A fundamental education can be broken into two distinct categories: the Trivium and the Quadrivium as defined in Medieval Universities.

The Trivium is comprised of these three subjects: Grammar, Logic, and Rhetoric.
The Quadrivium is comprised of these four subjects: Arithmetic, Geometry, Music, and Astronomy.

The Trivium is concerned with a foundational liberal education; enabling one to communicate and understand their own thoughts and those of others in written, oral, or other form (meta-learning). Note that the Trivium does not adhere to a specific language; ideally the course of study would include multiple languages.

The definition of the Quadrivium given earlier is antiquated and in need of reevaluation. Arithmetic should give way to the broader topic of Mathematics, Geometry should give way to The Reciprocal System of Theory (Geometry is to be encompassed by Mathematics), Psychology (particularly, Jungian, and Spiral Dynamics) to replace Music, and Theosophy to replace Astronomy. Music and Astronomy, while important, are subjects not critical to personal evolution.

Thus, the Quadrivium is now modeled as: Mathematics, RS/RS2, Psychology, and Theosophy.

I am using these two definitions (The Trivium and Quadrivium) because they coincide well with our present understanding of the densities: the Trivium enables the gathering and expression of knowledge for choice, Third Density; and the Quadrivium enables the skills and knowledge for Individuation and interaction with the Social Memory Complex, Fourth Density.

Education and learning should be entirely self directed (autodidactic). The desire to learn is elicited through project based learning; small, quantifiable goals (projects) defined by the person provide direction and interest. Topics and subject matter for learning are defined by what is necessary to complete the project; this is a top down, recursive process implemented within the framework of the Trivium and the Quadrivium. "Extra" subject matter is added on a per-project basis (or overall interest of the student's).

Extra subject matter is considered anything other than that contained within the Trivium and Quadrivium definitions; Psionics, Music, Carpentry, Engineering (all sub-forms), Gardening, the Arts, the Sciences, &c...

Necessity is no longer the motivator; desire, purpose, and interest are the inspiration. There is a minute but important difference between motivation (external) and inspiration (internal).

Within this structure, we can define a set of methods and tools for effective, perspicuous, and efficient learning:
  • clarify goals
  • gain knowledge through spaced repetition
  • preserve health
  • work steadily
  • minimize stress
  • refuse interruption
  • never resist sleep when tired
Clarification of goals takes place through the process of "knowing thy self" (Who are you? and What do you want? for Bab5 references), a dynamic process, changing as the consciousness evolves (slower, though, as one matures, typically). Jungian Psychology, Spiral Dynamics, Symbol Analysis, Personal Symbol Acquisition, and Active Imagination are tools for knowing thy self. Writing down goal definitions (or projects!) is important, it gets out of the head and is less likely to become vague.

Knowledge through spaced repetition ensures that knowledge gained in reading, dialogue, or introspection is not forgotten (see: Spaced Repetition and Forgetting Curve). Tools for this are: Mnemosyne and 20 Rules of Formulating Knowledge. Mnemonic devices and liberal use of mnemonics is also useful.

Preserving health is easy with proper discipline. Diet, physical exertion, and rest are crucial. Diet should consist of whole foods and preferably organic foods that contain the necessary nutrients and vitamins for your body and brain. Physical exercise/exertion can be had through the gym (less preferable), an activity (sailing, martial arts, dancing, hiking), and/or manual labor (digging, building, &c...). Rest can be had through sleep, meditation, and relaxing activities.

Working steadily requires longevity, vision (the goal/project should be framed within your purpose or vision) and discipline. Meditation and affirmation of goals assists with "slowing/calming down".

Minimize stress: follow your bliss and do not over-extend commitments.

Refuse interruption: maintain discipline and psychic space; people pleasers have a hard time with this.

Never resist sleep when tired. (self explanatory)

These methods, tools, and structure I've developed and synthesized over time to assist me with my self education. I am an INTJ (MBTI personality typing) type, so these methods and tools may be biased towards the introverted and intellectual. Kinesthetic learners may develop a manual framework (using building toys or something), auditory learners may do best to develop a dialectic framework, and visual learners may do well to develop an artistic representation/framework.

This is a quick/rough draft and only intended to help others that may want a more rigorous self education and don't necessarily know how to start with a useful routine.
Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song. - Kosh Naranek

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Education, method, and structure

Post by LoneBear » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:42 pm

Tulan wrote:The Trivium is concerned with a foundational liberal education; enabling one to communicate and understand their own thoughts and those of others in written, oral, or other form (meta-learning). Note that the Trivium does not adhere to a specific language; ideally the course of study would include multiple languages.
If the Trivium were at Hogwarts, then the tools of communication aren't between people, but between complexes--physical, mental, spiritual and their cosmic counterparts in the other realm.
  • Grammar: Symbols and archetypes -- the structure of language
  • Logic: Psychocartography -- inference of inter-domain relationships
  • Rhetoric: Motifs and allegory -- the patterns that tell stories and reveal information
Tulan wrote:The definition of the Quadrivium given earlier is antiquated and in need of reevaluation. Arithmetic should give way to the broader topic of Mathematics, Geometry should give way to The Reciprocal System of Theory (Geometry is to be encompassed by Mathematics), Psychology (particularly, Jungian, and Spiral Dynamics) to replace Music, and Theosophy to replace Astronomy. Music and Astronomy, while important, are subjects not critical to personal evolution.
  • Arithmetic: Updating with mathematics is good.
  • Geometry: The spatial and temporal geometry aspects of RS2.
  • Music: Can be rather broad... Not necessarily the art, but the concepts music embodies: resonance, discord, harmony and sympathy. This could include the "motion" aspects of RS/RS2, and the research of Keely on vibratory physics, psychology and human behavior, spiral dynamics, bioenergetics (harmonics of Qi/Ch'i)... it's a wide field.
  • Astronomy: perhaps Cosmology? Also, Gopi and I found that astronomic phenomena tend to mimic "life", in the intermediate and ultra-high speed motion ranges, but without the thermal component. So this, too, could be a broad topic.
Tulan wrote:I am using these two definitions (The Trivium and Quadrivium) because they coincide well with our present understanding of the densities: the Trivium enables the gathering and expression of knowledge for choice, Third Density; and the Quadrivium enables the skills and knowledge for Individuation and interaction with the Social Memory Complex, Fourth Density.
I like it. Perhaps we should expand upon these and actually produce some course material, based on what we've learned chatting on this forum for years.
Tulan wrote:Education and learning should be entirely self directed (autodidactic). The desire to learn is elicited through project based learning; small, quantifiable goals (projects) defined by the person provide direction and interest. Topics and subject matter for learning are defined by what is necessary to complete the project; this is a top down, recursive process implemented within the framework of the Trivium and the Quadrivium. "Extra" subject matter is added on a per-project basis (or overall interest of the student's).
Just as long as it doesn't come across as "homework!" :)

Probably time to take a look at the power process... when properly executed, it provides positive reinforcement of learning and doing. There are 4 stages:
  1. Goal: Goals must have a reasonable chance of success; too much failure results in defeatism. I would see the Institute providing Trivium goals, and the monastery providing the Quadrivium goals, since they tend to be a bit more non-material in nature.
  2. Effort: It can't be too easy, or there is no sense of accomplishment. Nor can it be too difficult, which results in giving up. But a person must make some effort to achieve the goal.
  3. Attainment: Where "grades" come in... how well the goal was attained. But I would think something more substantial than a letter/number grade, or a certificate of accomplishment is needed for the attainment stage, something that would result in a sense of personal achievement, not a plastic statue.
  4. Autonomy: A person must go through the process with relative autonomy. Gopi probably understands this quite well... I've set up a number of "excursions" for him back in India over the years (a reachable goal), he put out the effort to do it, did it without anyone's help, and attained the goal. (Except for one shepherd!)
I have found that those people who don't put out the effort, never go very far. And there are those who want others to do the work for them (no autonomy), as in some Gurus. The power process becomes a test of character, for the most part.

Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Tulan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:05 pm

LoneBear wrote:I like it. Perhaps we should expand upon these and actually produce some course material, based on what we've learned chatting on this forum for years.
I agree, I've been wanting to sit down and spend some mindful time on a curriculum (for my own self education) and this will be an excellent route for those participating to get into that groove.

A thought I had: like the old Grecian dialogues, I want to formalize the "dialogue" of the forum so we can retain some semblance of the discussion format in which so much has been explored but in an easier to read format (a book, PDF's, &c...). From there, data, information, and knowledge can be codified into course material. What do you think of that? The Antiquatis Dialogues...
LoneBear wrote:Probably time to take a look at the power process... when properly executed, it provides positive reinforcement of learning and doing.
That is essential, I think it is critical for the persons involved to find that process on their own, too. The framework can be provided and "teachers" can relate experiences and how they got there, but I know how crucial it has been for me in the last few years to be on my own and figure the power process out for myself...

I think many of you would enjoy reading Neal Stephenson's book "Anathem". Not sure how much all of you would like it, but he has certainly tapped into the Archive and the Sanctuary project; the "Mathic world" in his book is close to what we are intending Sanctuary to be. I liked the book quite a bit and it is rife with interesting motifs and symbols in a form I haven't encountered before; you have to push through the first 100 pages but after that it is hard to put down.

Bruce, I know you don't read Sci-Fi novels much, but this one might be worth it...

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Gopi » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:38 am

Tulan wrote:Music and Astronomy, while important, are subjects not critical to personal evolution.
Interesting way of putting it!

Music is literally "muse-ic", tuning yourself to your muse, or anima. In addition to the physical magnitude concepts of resonance and sympathy and dissonance, you also get the notion of a "direction" in the psychic space. You can use it to move in the feeling regime, and with logic helping you, you can connect the effect of music with a person, and use it for development, in place of the traditional concept of "bringing out the beauty of the Lord" or a similar blue vMeme concept. I would say that a similar effect exists with respect to all the Arts, and Rudolph Steiner has classified them based on their effect on the different bodies of man, which is something interesting to look at.

As for astronomy, it is a relic of a time when the veil was not so thick and looking "out" was something akin to looking "in". Hence the stars were not so far off, and the interlinking led to an easier evaluation. Something that needs to be picked up.
Tulan wrote:The desire to learn is elicited through project based learning; small, quantifiable goals (projects) defined by the person provide direction and interest. Topics and subject matter for learning are defined by what is necessary to complete the project; this is a top down, recursive process implemented within the framework of the Trivium and the Quadrivium. "Extra" subject matter is added on a per-project basis (or overall interest of the student's).
It is better sometimes to look at learning as a living organism, where along with the "parts" you have to learn the "whole". Take the learning of a language, for example. If you split it up into 1. Learning basic words 2. Learning sentences and 3. Learning to speak fluently, the method would be very cumbersome. From experience, it is far simpler to just start speaking and listening to the language, than go "step by step". The finer parts almost always fit into place later on.

Hence for the Yang subjects, you'll need small quantifiable goals, while for the Yin subjects, you'd need large qualifiable goals. Kheb?
Tulan wrote:I am using these two definitions (The Trivium and Quadrivium) because they coincide well with our present understanding of the densities: the Trivium enables the gathering and expression of knowledge for choice, Third Density; and the Quadrivium enables the skills and knowledge for Individuation and interaction with the Social Memory Complex, Fourth Density.
That is a good concept, ties in well with requiring a good conceptual foundation before making the Choice.
It is time.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:24 pm

Gopi wrote:Music is literally "muse-ic", tuning yourself to your muse, or anima.
There were originally 3 muses so they may have originally corresponded to the tripartite aspects of the feminine (or masculine, if you are a woman). Later on, it was said that there were 9 muses--nine gems of the unconscious--which may be related to the development of the spirit complex in man--the additional 6 accounting for the dichotomy of the tripartite of the spirit complex (2x3), which is still basically "magic" to most people.
Gopi wrote:I would say that a similar effect exists with respect to all the Arts, and Rudolph Steiner has classified them based on their effect on the different bodies of man, which is something interesting to look at.
I would enjoy seeing a summary of Steiner's classification, if you have the time.
Gopi wrote:As for astronomy, it is a relic of a time when the veil was not so thick and looking "out" was something akin to looking "in". Hence the stars were not so far off, and the interlinking led to an easier evaluation. Something that needs to be picked up.
The original "constellation" stories are a memory theatre (aka The Art of Memory, Frances, Yates). Now we just have aliens instead of gods playing the parts.
Gopi wrote:It is better sometimes to look at learning as a living organism, where along with the "parts" you have to learn the "whole".
That's a tier 2 concept to education--whole-istic. Probably going to have to be divided into Tier 1 and Tier 2 stages, where Tier 1 lets the students turn over the pieces to the puzzle, and start sorting out the water from the sky and the land. Tier 2 'systemic' allows you to assemble the 'systems', lakes, sky, houses, roads, and 'holistic' puts the systems together to form the big picture.

The holistic picture is the weltenschauung, the World View that is trying to be related. To dissemble the system to Tier 1, need to examine the system backwards, so start with Quadrivium--quadration--a dichotomy of dichotomies. The base dichotomy is yin-yang; the second is also a yin-yang of each yin-yang (each contained within the other, as in the Taijitu). I would expect the Trivium is the tripartite aspect of each of the sections of the quadration, the "dimensions" to the sectors, so to speak. So that would infer that there are 12 distinct elements (3x4) that need to be taught, to bring one up to the big picture, so they can see all the aspects involved.
Gopi wrote:Take the learning of a language, for example. If you split it up into 1. Learning basic words 2. Learning sentences and 3. Learning to speak fluently, the method would be very cumbersome. From experience, it is far simpler to just start speaking and listening to the language, than go "step by step". The finer parts almost always fit into place later on.
r u shure u can mk tht clam?

I can remember back to 4th grade; my teacher loved to ask the question "Why" on tests... and it always got me upset that she wasn't satisfied with JUST the answer--but made me document HOW I came to that conclusion. I really thank her for that now, because it engaged my ability to reason at an early age. I think a vital portion of intelligence (animus, spirit) is knowing WHY something is done, and not must memorizing techniques. If you know why, you don't need to memorize anything. That's one of the big things about Larson's Reciprocal System... he addressed the "how" and "why" of the fundamental questions about how the Universe is constructed; questions that are just not asked these days.
Gopi wrote:Hence for the Yang subjects, you'll need small quantifiable goals, while for the Yin subjects, you'd need large qualifiable goals. Kheb?
The notes are the "yang" aspect of music, the associations (chords and bars) are the yin. I would think the "goal" is to produce "motion"--successfully combining yin and yang into something larger, like a song. As Larson finally said, "motion" is nothing but abstract change... and a good song can change something inside.

Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Tulan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:57 pm

Gopi wrote:It is better sometimes to look at learning as a living organism, where along with the "parts" you have to learn the "whole".
You reworded what I said with less technical lingo. Your whole-part analogy (as in mereology) correlates to the top-down approach, recursion applying to sub whole-parts. The opposite approach would be iterative and bottom-up, or in your words, moving from the parts to the whole.

Functional programming as opposed to procedural programming seems to be a Tier 2 apprehension (Scheme and Erlang being the poster child). It makes sense too, once I started learning Scheme my conception of programming and programming concepts expanded a great deal along with many other subject areas unrelated and related to programming.
LoneBear wrote:If you know why, you don't need to memorize anything.
Something heavily lacking in present day schooling is teaching children how to reason; it was non-existent for me. Being able to reason from givens is important, it wasn't until I studied more logic and read books on reasoning that I really began picking up those tools and habits. Practice is highly important too; programming gave me a sandbox for practicing it in; I extended it to thought in-general once I began earnestly studying subjects of the Trivium as part of my personal curriculum.

This is why I've mentioned the Trivium; as it focuses on teaching those tools before teaching anything specific. It focuses on everything I never got, which is stuff that should have came first! If the Trivium serves as a tripartite aspect of each section of the Quadrivium then are these [Trivium] subjects taught first as just the Trivium (basic logic, rhetoric, grammar | basic psychocartography, symbol analysis, and allegory) then advanced/in-depth immersion of the [Trivium] subjects in reference to each beginning column of the Quadrivium? (the overlapping density model is what I'm trying to visualize here).

In reference to memorization; I remember something my Martial Arts mentor told me a long time ago (who's name is also Bruce), he said, "Spirit and repetition are critical for any learning endeavor. Once techniques and basic movement are in muscle memory, you can engage the spirit and illicit creativity to create combinations and elaborate techniques that flow with the unpredictable nature of an attacker without pausing to consider options and determine your plan of defense." Spirit being the seat of the intellect and repetition/muscle memory being memorization of patterns of movement, even basic ones.

Reasoning is the foundation for knowledge and repetition (or practice you could say) ensures the knowledge generated from that reasoning circuit is kept so it doesn't have to be re-reasoned. Some gets put onto the hard drive, some goes into RAM, and other goes into the processor cache...

To extend this analogy a bit further too, I've discovered that the human brain is capable of true concurrency; in other words, thoughts can be ran in parallel to others. I also have had the idea that given multiple causal nexus pathways in proximity to one another, one could distribute the load across multiple participants; a participant being you but existing in a different causal nexus pathway. Tier 2 consciousness opens up the doorway to being cognizant of those multiple participants, as the consciousness hits Tier 2 all the other participants reach an isomorphic state (yet still individual) because they are all aware of the whole rather than just the part. I suppose I'm essentially describing a "personal" Social Memory Complex (extra-psychic personal rather than intra-psychic personal).

I lack the vocabulary to describe it, I can apprehend the whole but it is difficult to give the beauty of it justice in words...

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:16 am

Is there a "lowest common denominator" to human knowledge?

I was updating the "Numbers" section of my RS2 book, regarding cardinal and ordinal numbers. Had to run to Safeway this morning and was at the Deli with a High School girl. While waiting for the clerk, I asked her if she was any good at math. She said she was, and always got good scores on tests. So, I asked her what a "cardinal number" was.

Could see the wheels churning inside her brain, and she finally gave me an answer, "Oh, that's those numbers that old priests use, with the X's and V's!"

Well, "A" for effort, but it seems "effort" is the only thing that matters these days. I'm just stunned.

How can you go about explaining a theory of the universe to people who don't even have the basic foundations of the most common symbol set on the planet: numbers?

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:22 pm

LoneBear wrote:Is there a "lowest common denominator" to human knowledge?
Probably not though there might be a few "greatest common factors" for why not :lol: .

Ordinals and cardinals are normally discussed as part of set theory. I don't know if High School math curriculum covers much of set theory (at least these days). I might have studied more set theory as part of philosophy than in math itself. Both ordinals and cardinals seem to be more interesting when dealing with infinite sets from my memory.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Set-ups

Post by LoneBear » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:46 am

Arcelius wrote:Probably not though there might be a few "greatest common factors" for why not :lol: .
That's a frightening thought, and probably true.
Arcelius wrote:Ordinals and cardinals are normally discussed as part of set theory. I don't know if High School math curriculum covers much of set theory (at least these days). I might have studied more set theory as part of philosophy than in math itself. Both ordinals and cardinals seem to be more interesting when dealing with infinite sets from my memory.
I learned set theory in 7th grade--Junior High! Granted, it was Catholic school back when they took teaching seriously. And I probably knew the difference before then, as I remember 3rd or 4th grade teaching us that 1st, 2nd and 3rd were different from 1, 2 and 3.

Concerning "infinite sets"... something I've found out from my RS2 research is that Nature is based in unity, so the minimum quantity is "1". Unity is the reciprocal of itself, so it is the only limiting condition.
In Nature, there is no zero, nor its reciprocal, infinity. Everything in Nature is finite. It is man that invented zero and infinity, to represent the concepts of "nothing" and "everything." And that is why you can "lose it all" but can never "have it all."

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Re: Set-ups

Post by Arcelius » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:20 pm

LoneBear wrote:I learned set theory in 7th grade--Junior High! Granted, it was Catholic school back when they took teaching seriously. And I probably knew the difference before then, as I remember 3rd or 4th grade teaching us that 1st, 2nd and 3rd were different from 1, 2 and 3.
Yes, I remember getting some education into the differences between natural (or counting) numbers, whole numbers, and integers in elementary school. This was augmented by ordinals and cardinals later on (still elementary school -- not in the US). However, I attended an American High School and don't remember anything like that being taught or even being assumed that it was taught.
LoneBear wrote:In Nature, there is no zero, nor its reciprocal, infinity. Everything in Nature is finite. It is man that invented zero and infinity, to represent the concepts of "nothing" and "everything." And that is why you can "lose it all" but can never "have it all."
Math is very fun though especially when you don't limit yourself to reality. Numbers can have their own "personality". Gematria takes this a step further by assigning numbers to letters and then gleaning meaning from words and phrases. Runes have similar methodologies even with the order of the runes in a word or phrase having additional meaning. While each rune/letter/number/symbol has been assigned a meaning, there are different systems (even different number systems) that assign different meanings (e.g. look at the Greek alphabet and see how many different meanings for each letter). It is important to remember not to get lost in the maps and to get out and do a reality check now and then.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Parallels between Schools and Prisons

Post by LoneBear » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:54 pm

I ran across a very interesting video by Josie Outlaw that compares schools to prisons--"mind control" programming under the guise of education. Well worth watching, as I never realized just how similar the two were.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Djchrismac
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: Parallels between Schools and Prisons

Post by Djchrismac » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:39 pm

LoneBear wrote:I ran across a very interesting video by Josie Outlaw that compares schools to prisons--"mind control" programming under the guise of education. Well worth watching, as I never realized just how similar the two were.
How very true... I was speaking to my cousin during the holidays when we walked up Arthur's seat and he was saying that his two kids (aged 6 and 12) both get a ridiculous amount of homework to do every night. He's very clued up and when the school complained that the kids weren't doing all their homework (around two hours worth per night!) he had a right go at them, asking why they can't cover all this work during the term and suggesting they don't take so many holidays!

I felt more like an observer throughout school, spending more time daydreaming and doing just enough to get by and remain undetected in the herd. I always felt like deep inside I had more knowledge than what I was being spoon-fed by the teachers and curriculum. When you just sit and observe things for a period time it doesn't take long to figure out what's really going on, or that something just doesn't feel right.

It's unfortunate that I have some very intelligent and open minded friends but they have been brainwashed so heavily, especially when it comes to University and the egomaniac academics who I have to deal with most days. They seem to be the new "pop stars" in society.

Luckily there are people like David Orbell and others around to take them down a peg or 4!

http://www.aulis.com/brian_cox.htm
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthr ... ?t=1674343

Cox is considered an iconic leader in modern physics although he achieved a mediocre grade D in A level Mathematics as quoted from his rather lacklustre appearance on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12344973
When asked about the survey Professor Brian Cox told BBC Breakfast that science was not a discipline dominated by old men in white coats and goggles, adding that he got a 'D' in his maths A level exam - BBC
Clearly Cox is attempting to pollute Science with a horde of dull brained teenagers who are more interested in pretty sunsets, rather than the Science itself. This behaviour must be discouraged and Science must remain a pure discipline.

He later received his degree from a rather lacklustre institution: The University of Manchester and has worked at CERN and other cutting edge Physics institutions. This leaves one questioning how he managed to scrap his way to fame today; hard work perhaps? Or do his imposing aesthetic looks appeal to today’s generation of synthetic women who flock in their thousands to view his diluted lectures?

Whatever the case may be, the integrity of Science is threatened by Cox and his minions. They attempt to recreate Science, rather than tell it for what it really is; something which Cox himself cannot fully grasp. Cox’s roguish appearance may charm some but if you’re seeking to explore Science in greater depth then steer clear of him and perhaps invest your time in Horizon documentaries or other creditable sources.

However while Cox’s success must be credited itself, I find it disturbing that his increased popularity has elevated him into nothing more than an impressionable imp. This guy is overrated.

I’m astounded how his low academic calibre resulted in him becoming a Physicist. If Cox can do it, anyone and I mean anyone can! That seems to be the moral of the story folks.

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:38 pm

LoneBear wrote:I ran across a very interesting video by Josie Outlaw that compares schools to prisons--"mind control" programming under the guise of education. Well worth watching, as I never realized just how similar the two were.
Nice video. Have you watched this one also?

I bring this up because our laws state that having small firearms is very restricted especially nowadays. If I wanted a pistol or anyother firearm for that matter, I would need to go through a psych exam to get my head cleared, before getting an firearm. Naturally no one has the right to carry a firearm in public exept army men and police. I dont know even how much in trouble one would be in if killing someone in selfdefense, I mean that certainly would get a fine from it or perhaps probation.
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Ilkka wrote:Nice video. Have you watched this one also?
I've gone through all of her videos now; she is one smart woman. You should also check out Larken Rose on Youtube, another guy that "tells it like it is."
Ilkka wrote:I bring this up because our laws state that having small firearms is very restricted especially nowadays. If I wanted a pistol or anyother firearm for that matter, I would need to go through a psych exam to get my head cleared, before getting an firearm. Naturally no one has the right to carry a firearm in public exept army men and police. I dont know even how much in trouble one would be in if killing someone in selfdefense, I mean that certainly would get a fine from it or perhaps probation.
I would be curious to know if the police and army men also have to go through a psych exam, before they are given a weapon? I would think they would be the bigger concern, as they'll be carrying it every day!
4 8 15 16 23 42

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:54 pm

LoneBear wrote:I would be curious to know if the police and army men also have to go through a psych exam, before they are given a weapon? I would think they would be the bigger concern, as they'll be carrying it every day!
Fortunately they do in here. Well army men maybe not so precise one, but I would imagine that police do. They only use deadly force at a last resort. Also most people here just give up to the police if surrounded, they dont just "shoot first and send flowers later"- Colonel Jack O'Neill. In Finland they use non-lethal weapons such as tazers. There has been few incidents where people have been tazed without good reason, but the police won that round.

When I got enlisted into army I think I remember the "psych test" being just a piece of paper where you crossed boxes what seemed to be most accurate, that usually keeps the more "insane" people out of the place, not the "trigger happy" kinds and gun enthusiasts though.
Enjoy the Silence

Spaceman
Indagator
Indagator

Reciprocity, the Quadrivium, and Education

Post by Spaceman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:10 am

In a recent discussion Gopi, Billy and I had, Gopi indicated that the key to being able to think within the framework of reciprocity is to personally work through a derivation of the reciprocal relationship between space and time as a natural consequence of phenomena. Larson did this through his investigation of the interatomic distance of the atom. Such a derivation unfortunately requires knowledge that is outside the purview of most people’s experience and therefore not directly accessible.

What is known today as the classical Quadrivium consists of the four disciplines of arithmetic or number theory, geometry, music or harmony, and cosmology or astronomy. These are most easily respectively defined as the study of number itself, number in space, number in time, and number in space and time.

It has occurred to me that a general reciprocity of space and time could be directly derived from a proof of the reciprocity of geometry and harmony with number as the foundation. It seems that such an approach would provide a more concise, integrated, and elegant theory of reciprocity, as well as a more readily accessible derivation of the reciprocal relationship between space and time.

Resent research has taken a distinctly harmonic turn, and these investigations into the relationship between geometry and harmony appear to underly the application of Reciprocity in a technological as well as magical sense. Given the poor foundation most people have in basic concepts such as number, geometry, and harmony, and the necessity of rectifying these neglected aspects of education anyway to begin a study of Reciprocity it would seem efficacious to communicate and teach from this basis.

Developments of Reciprocity have spurred insights that have illuminated the meaning of and further expounded upon ancient concepts of the soul, human origins, the after life, and the evolution of consciousness. The recent developments into the nature of harmony have highlighted more long neglected ideas such as the ancient approach to education eventually codified in the classical Quadrivium. Beginning with a distinctly Pythagorean idea of number as the foundation for all things a subsequent development of geometry and harmony builds toward the next stage where the relationship between the two are expressed in a cosmology of space and time. The Quadrivium was for good reason the prerequisite for any foray into philosophy and especially investigations of metaphysics or that which exists beyond space and time. It seems natural to me at this point to utilize the simple frame work of number, number in space, number in time, and number in space and time for, presenting, teaching, and deriving Reciprocity since the approach has now been proven correct at its core and can be refined in its particulars as further progress is made.

This is an idea that I have been playing with for awhile now and it all just really clicked together for me tonight. The aha moment came with the realization of deriving general reciprocity of space and time from geometry and harmony as it really does present a simple more beautiful structure in my opinion, and considering the relationship between simplicity, beauty, and truth I thought it worth mentioning. Thoughts?
"To resist the influence of others, knowledge of ones self is most important." Teal'c