Common Sense

The Institute is a non-profit, educational institution for the public promotion of the ideas and concepts put forth within the context of the Sanctuary Project. This forum is to discuss the structure of the Institute, requirements and the teach/learn and learn/teach systems.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Common Sense

Post by LoneBear » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:05 pm

common sense
–noun
sound practical judgment that is independent of specialized knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence.
I was chatting with a friend today about what appears to be a complete lack of "common sense" in the upcoming generations. In my generation, if you had a piece of flooring with "THIS SIDE DOWN" written in large, red letters, you put that side down. Not so with the new generation!

I was thinking about Aluxon's comments in the education topic, and I am wondering if the two are related. The definition of "common sense" refers to "normal native intelligence", the latter word being the key point--intelligence, the animus. Not knowledge acquired by training or memorization, but reasoning and understanding at a conceptual level.

If people are programmed not to think--to use their intelligence--that might explain the lack of common sense these days. And by programming, I mean either psychological conditions, as Aluxon described, or chemical ones, thru the use of psycho-active drugs, which are well known to decrease intelligence and levels of common sense.

Living outside the conveniences of modern society requires a lot of common sense. But since that is being bred out, concepts such as Sanctury or Shangri-La of Lost Horizon will shortly become a thing of the past... something that can no longer even be conceived, let alone acted upon, at least in "civilized" societies.

Perhaps the meek will inherit the Earth?

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:23 pm

I just ran across an interesting quote on the topic:
Millionaire T. Harv Eker wrote:What you hear, you forget; what you see, you remember; what you do, you understand.
There may also be a connection with the lack of common sense and "do-ing", in a technological society. This also seems to correlate directly to "displacement activity", "surrogate activity" and "real goals".

I realized that most of popular technology falls in the displacement category of "what you hear", cell phones, iPods, boom boxes. Level 2, the television, is "the opiate of the masses", to paraphrase Karl Marx. But what they remember is sex, violence, mindless plots, and any problem can be fixed by a suitable application of liquor or drugs.

But where is the "do-ing"? The engineer of the construction project I was working on this summer hired a college student--a construction major--to help out, for some required class "on the job" credit. That will never happen again! What he "did" was always wrong, so he required constant supervision, eating up the time and resources of those who did not require supervision. t became actually better to do without help, than to have negative help, using skilled tradesmen to fix problems that should have never arisen.

About half the active posters on this forum are in their 20's... what say ye?

lvx08
Centurio
Centurio

Post by lvx08 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:27 pm

LoneBear wrote:I realized that most of popular technology falls in the displacement category of "what you hear", cell phones, iPods, boom boxes. Level 2, the television, is "the opiate of the masses", to paraphrase Karl Marx. But what they remember is sex, violence, mindless plots, and any problem can be fixed by a suitable application of liquor or drugs.

About half the active posters on this forum are in their 20's... what say ye?
This reminds me of a Marshall McLuhan quote: that every advance in technology involves an amputation of another extension in man. So the development of writing meant that people no longer used their memories ( people used to be able to recite word for word, their legends and sagas, some of which are very long). The development of firearms meant that archery went the way of the dinosaur.

Maybe the development of this new technology from TV to the ipod means the loss of a certain way of thinking or communicating

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Gopi » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:55 pm

It's really amazing how we seem to learn things together...

I had a session with my juniors from high school yesterday evening... answering their questions about the public exams and preparations and what not. The most common questions were:

"How many hours do you study?"
"How much will I get in the main exams if I get 70% in the preparatory?"
"What kind of timetable should we follow?"

It was a bit shocking to see how far those questions were removed from actual learning. I emphasized that they follow their own rules and not crack their head about marks, wonder if the message went across.

Later while I was filling their 'Details about yourself' book, there was a question...

Your most priced possession?
"Common Sense!"
It is time.