Teaching

The Institute is a non-profit, educational institution for the public promotion of the ideas and concepts put forth within the context of the Sanctuary Project. This forum is to discuss the structure of the Institute, requirements and the teach/learn and learn/teach systems.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Teaching

Post by LoneBear » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:02 pm

One of the primary roles for those involved with the Sanctuary project is that of education... I'm not going to call it "teaching", because anyone can be taught to reproduce a pattern on demand. In my opinion, it isn't about teaching people to regurgitate information nor reproduce muscle movement patterns, it is about creating the desire to improve the mind and spirit through knowledge and technique.

There is an old saying, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." It is the same with students. One can provide all the information in the world, yet if a student is not interested in learning, it does no good. To attempt to force learning upon someone just creates the reciprocal desire--to remain stupid. This is basically the process of American schools. Hollywood makes millions of dollars on films showing students acting like idiots. Kids are forced to attend classes they don't want to be in. With the introduction of the "no fail" systems, grades have become meaningless, since you'll pass the grade and be advanced even if you have a 0%. As long as they can flip McBurgers for a living and obey the ruling class, those in power don't care.

What I have learned is that the #1 ingredient needed to help a student grow is curiosity. Apparently it still applies; Cointreau related an experience he had with his students concerning the natives of South America... not something you'd normally discuss in a math or science class that he teaches, but when the topic came up and he turned out to be somewhat of an expert on the subject, he ended up with a class full of inquiring minds, wanting to know. I did notice while he was telling me about it, that he was able to connect abstract, historical events to something real and tangible in their everyday lives, such as the need and use of spices.

Because of curiosity, teaching metaphysics, spirituality and magick is actually much easier than math or science. Students are naturally curious about the "other realm", which is why they became students to begin with. But the #1 problem tends to be the lack of a foundation on which to build understanding. One cannot understand the metaphysical, unless they have a proper understanding of the physical. And by "proper", I don't mean the conventional sciences... there is an innate understanding that one builds internally concerning the foundational dichotomies of the Universe. Until that basis is comprehended, the quest for metaphysics is similar to the quest for education... you get your rituals to follow, which will reproduce the results, but lack the understanding of "why" something worked. When you have the "why", then the "how" becomes obvious... and rather than having a single "ritual" to get the results, thousands of different ways become available.

That is the difficult bit, and where "education" comes in... education is the process of determining "why". I remember in grammar school I used to hate test questions that said "why"... made you think too much! And when you're 7, you don't want to think, you want to run, jump and play. But I did think back then, and can now appreciate the "why" to things. In college, I had one teacher that gave the toughest tests... the test contained the question AND the answer... you had to fill in the process between the two! Education isn't about the answers, it is about the process of finding the answers... the "why" things happen. "Give a man a fish, and he has food for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he has food for a lifetime."

I'm looking for additional input, since I only have my own experiences to draw upon here, but I found that my experiences in youth of construction helped a long way in both curiosity and figuring out, how to figure out the "why" of things. Keeping tree houses up in a tree, how to hold back dirt for underground forts, why boats float--and why they don't, go-carts that don't go... people learn from mistakes. I've noticed these days that "mistakes" aren't acknowledged, but covered up, so there is no learning from them. I've also noticed that with the urbanization of families (living in apartments versus houses in the suburbs), there is little construction for kids. They don't have the fundamentals of physical mechanics down, so there is nothing to build other systems upon. That is evidenced with a college student I worked with a couple years ago, who was a construction major and didn't know how to hold a hammer!

I would envision teaching in the Sanctuary system as more of a "trade guild" approach, where education includes the aspect of "doing" as well as "listening". Knowledge is retained if it is put to use; that is just the way the brain works. A principle of nature is "use it or lose it", which is why fish in underground lakes have no eyes and are often colorless... no use for those features in that environment. So the environment is connected to the lesson; when something is taught, it needs to be acted upon in the environment.

After previewing this post, I noticed that what I am describing is a system very similar to what computers use to generate virtual reality... projective geometry. Your environment--the stage, the actors--students, the props--tools. Teaching has become just actors on a stage, with no props for context or connection.

Schools have become "Doonesbury" cartoons--talking heads on a colorless backdrop. What is needed is a little more "Calvin & Hobbes". Teaching science using Calvinball rules could be rather interesting.

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Re: Teaching

Post by Gopi » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:22 pm

LoneBear wrote:Because of curiosity, teaching metaphysics, spirituality and magick is actually much easier than math or science.
I would like to add the other aspect to curiosity, an "embracing" or "integrative" factor, that prevents education from becoming entertainment. After all you do have the whodunits being vastly popular in TV and cinema, as are intricate plots and things. The difference is that curiosity being common to all mammals, it can be used both to keep you in the trees as well as to propel you forward... integrating is what gives rise to the desire to connect "this" experience to "that". Maybe you can call it "Yin" curiosity.

In my personal experience, the learn-teach system has he been most effective not necessarily in learning how something is done, but in knowing how doing something is the same as doing something else. For example, my favourite subject was geometry in high school, but it was the "curiosity" aspect. An old gentleman in my area suggested that I look for geometry in the formation of rocks and trees, and somehow "clicked". It is after all curiosity that leads people on and on in the world of mathematics, exploring the evolution of analytic logic. This is the "selective" curiosity, without the necessary connecting function of asking how it is related to other aspects of experience.
LoneBear wrote:I'm looking for additional input, since I only have my own experiences to draw upon here, but I found that my experiences in youth of construction helped a long way in both curiosity and figuring out, how to figure out the "why" of things.
In my childhood, the construction aspect was spent mostly in designing intricate flyover networks for my toy cars, or playing with mustard seeds... little balls of any kind fascinated me, the smaller the better: seeds, ball bearings, pearls, marbles... I have been peeping into the "time region" for a long time!

Primary education for me was in understanding why people and living beings in general behave in the way they do. My lab was that of inter-human relations, and the ebb and flow of teacher-student and student-student dynamics. Being the "teacher's pet" was pretty easy, something that came naturally, and I spent my time trying to understand what kept students from having that sense of ease when dealing with teachers. Friends at school, friends at the creche, patients of my parents who frequented the house, gave a rich variety of experience to draw upon, to find out what "works", so to speak, and what doesn't. It gets me extremely curious when people do not behave the way I feel is "natural" or true-to-their-nature... probably more curious than if my computer broke down.

I just had an interesting experience a few days back... one of my friends was preparing day in and day out to conduct the launch of a magazine. I had read the mails regarding it, and seen the posters, and I told him that something was missing, a feeling of detachment which I was able to sense whenever I looked at them. Since I was not able to offer much in the way of advice (He asked what else he could do, except get the word out in the ways allowed) he went ahead and completed it, and sure enough, a handful turned up as against the expected 50-60 students minimum.

Since this parallels the way Sanctuary has to be brought out, it has gotten me thinking. It is possible to "do everything right" and YET fail to hit the necessary chord to create the synchronicities. I am working on a way to formalize it... it is still an intuition at this point.
It is time.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:34 pm

Gopi wrote:Since this parallels the way Sanctuary has to be brought out, it has gotten me thinking. It is possible to "do everything right" and YET fail to hit the necessary chord to create the synchronicities. I am working on a way to formalize it... it is still an intuition at this point.
It is actually quite easy to sell something, be it a magazine, or Sanctuary. The problem is that if it is "sold", then it can be "bought."

All synchronicity requires is "intent." That's the way Nature works. Your friend probably had the intent to create a magazine that was perfect for him, but never put out the intent of being for anyone else (satisfying a neurotic structure).

I could "sell" Sanctuary, and get more money and resources that could ever be needed. But that is not the point to it. Did you see the film, "Lost Horizon"? During Mr. Conway's meeting with the High Llama, the Llama revealed that he started Shangrila with just himself and only one or two helpers, right down to laying the bricks for the temple. It was his intention and dedication that eventually brought others to help and live the a live of devotion.

Heck, it may come down to you, me and Cointreau out plowing fields and milking cows in the Andes, but our hearts, and our intent, is in the right place. And Nature will not ignore that. If people won't listen, those of other densities and kingdoms... and perhaps other worlds, will. You've seen the way the Magnum Opus works, and you know that in Eternity, there is no hurry. But there is compassion, and that will eventually bring like spirits together. It just needs focus.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:06 pm

LoneBear wrote:But there is compassion, and that will eventually bring like spirits together. It just needs focus.
I think Ra refers to this sort of thing as "spiritual gravity".

cointreau
Cognitor
Cognitor

Post by cointreau » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Heck, it may come down to you, me and Cointreau out plowing fields and milking cows in the Andes, but our hearts, and our intent, is in the right place. And Nature will not ignore that. If people won't listen, those of other densities and kingdoms... and perhaps other worlds, will. You've seen the way the Magnum Opus works, and you know that in Eternity, there is no hurry. But there is compassion, and that will eventually bring like spirits together. It just needs focus.
I'm eagerly waiting for that moment to arrive. I know there is no hurry but I certainly don't want it to take an eternity!!!