Reboot of The Tomorrow People

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Reboot of The Tomorrow People

Post by Arcelius » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:57 pm

It looks like a new version of The Tomorrow People will be broadcast this fall. See here for more details: http://www.cwtv.com/shows/the-tomorrow-people/about

Many of the same characters from the original British (as opposed to the later Nickelodeon) version are being brought back. The previous series was written (also directed in many cases) by Roger Damon Price. In this version, the antagonist's name is Jedikiah Price. In the original series, Jedikiah is a recurring character who hates the Tomorrow People and tries to eradicate them completely. I wonder about associating the original writer with the antagonist though.

I will try to source the broadcasts and see how they have turned out. The above link has more information.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Reboot of The Tomorrow People

Post by LoneBear » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:44 am

They did something similar in the Nick version with Lady Mulvaney, being a play on the Nickelodeon executive producer, Jay Mulvaney.

I've seen the trailers; "different is dangerous." Quite a message to those different people on the path to ascension.

You must comply with the New World Order. Resistance is futile.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:09 pm

So I went looking for a trailer and found one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS4siHwQd2A). I did watch it and was very disappointed. There seemed to be an inordinate emphasis on violence on the side of the tomorrow people. One of the hallmarks of the original and Nickelodeon remake was that they never became violent. They were in control of themselves and used their minds or intelligence to outwit those working against them. The trailer features a number of scenes where psionics are used violently and where the tomorrow people are featured using martial arts (in a standard Hollywood way).

I was also struck by how old all of the actors are. The original series featured some very young actors/actresses (perhaps 8-12 years old) as the tomorrow people. As the series progressed, more older actors/actresses were added and some of the originals grew up. The Nick version also featured younger actors/actresses though more in the 12-16 range (for the most part). In the trailer, they look more like 18-24 and could pass for older.

Romance may also play a major part in this series which was virtually absent in both previous versions.

I may have misinterpreted the trailer but there does seem to be another part of the story that doesn't line up with earlier series. There is a strong emphasis on genetics though instead of the tomorrow people simply being the next stage in natural human evolution, it may be that they have been genetically altered by a superior alien race.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:38 am

Considering that psionic ability IS starting to show up in children, they are doing what they can to bring those "magic" abilities back to burning at the stake. I've talked with some young kids (8-12) about what they do at school, and it is ALL competition--they are taught that winning is good, losing is bad, and you do what it takes to win. Not a single one mentioned any discussion about working together to achieve goals. I find that interesting.

I was in High School when the Tomorrow People aired on public television. I'm just a little younger than Young (John), and back then, highly technical, so it was a perfect match for me. I would have loved to build TIM--not that I didn't try, but computers were just getting their start back in 1973, mostly as ALUs (arithmetic-logic units). John was one of the influences that pushed me into computers during college, and the Tomorrow People was one of the big reasons for my interest in metaphysics.

It is a shame to see that spoiled for the upcoming generation, whom actually have the potential to do it--for "real!"

Back then, the TP was a children's show, teaching that young people can act BETTER than adults and can play a significant role in shaping the future. No sex, and nonviolence was the trademark of the Tomorrow People (though I did wonder if John and Liz ever dated...).

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:16 am

I've decided to open up "The Tomorrow People" forum to registered users, for discussion of this next stage of human evolution, given the release of this series. In the past, it was a members-only group because the topic was a bit sensitive for discussion, but now that it's coming out into the public eye, "what the heck!"

The Tomorrow People forum should be visible as Stage 4 of the Sanctuary Project, after you log in.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:54 am

I watched it last night. Took all of 3 1/2 minutes before the senseless violence started and less than 15 minutes to show the Tomorrow People were stealing and doing all sorts of unethical things.

Like the original series, the TP cannot kill--but notice the BIG difference. In the original series, they were non-violent and did not kill or commit violence because it was their nature as "peaceful explorers." The new series, they are all fighting and blasting people with psi ability and keep TRYING to kill, but something in their brain fires off and knocks them out when they attempt it--they get "punished" by their genetics if they try to kill. In other words, psi ability without the corresponding ethics. I can see why the NWO would prefer unethical Tomorrow People, both from the "they are a threat" perspective and the plot of the series--to put them under governmental control, but the original series is closer to the actual development of homo ethicus, the next stage of human evolution.

The Tomorrow People... "well, we didn't make the name!" Something they should have been proud of, but after watching what Hollywood did to this classic series, I can't blame them.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:51 am

I saw the first episode aswell and it was so stupid when they "TP" couldnt kill humans like so and I do mean this "inhibitor" that makes it impossible them to kill anyone. More ridiculous was the fact that they "TPs" were a different race altogether and the way they made it sound so "alien" even, as it is so bad thing to be superior compared to all other "slaves". Oh well, I think I'm gonna still watch it for awhile untill I get bored of it. Although all the series these days look the same because they go by the same patterns, like all the mainstream movies.
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:29 pm

It seems that the message being put out by Hollywood (and hence, general media sources) is that mankind is not capable of advancing to a stage of ethical consciousness--and if this violent slave gets psi ability, it must be suppressed for the "public good."

Though I did find it interesting that the underlying motif of the series may be along the lines of finding a "Sanctuary" for the Tomorrow People--a place to go where the non-TP people cannot reach them. Hummm.... I wonder where they got that idea from? :)

The original series, even with the cheezy effects and questionable scripts, had a much better lesson for young people--that one can choose rapport over rivalry and have a world not ruled by fear, where you did not have to compete and fight all the time. And it was up to the kids to make it happen. That's what sold me on the series when I was young--become a peaceful explorer of the Universe.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:30 pm

On the latest 4th episode it turns out the TPs can kill after all when turned into "monsters". Also accidentally killing a person they can do, which is very much plausable when they are fighting so vigorously "accidental deaths" tend to happen. Wonder when they bring in the "instant healing".
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:47 am

Ilkka wrote:On the latest 4th episode it turns out the TPs can kill after all when turned into "monsters". Also accidentally killing a person they can do, which is very much plausable when they are fighting so vigorously "accidental deaths" tend to happen. Wonder when they bring in the "instant healing".
Unfortunately, I'm traveling and have not seen Eps. 3 & 4 yet... though it sounds "typical Hollywood."

As noted in daniel's paper on Homo Sapiens Ethicus, the original concept was the evolution to the ethical sector (breaking out = going beyond space and time). Since it required a relatively advanced consciousness in the first place to have gotten to the point of making the ethical jump (or should I say, "jaunt"?), there would not kill because it was not part of their nature/desire, and could never turn into a "monster" of any sort, as they would have left that kind of rivalry behind.

Seems The Powers That Be are trying to create public opinion AGAINST humanity evolving, which is the same tactic they have used in the past--they keep their hands "clean" and let the public do the dirty work. I suppose Obama's next decree will be to bring back burning psychics at the stake!

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Yea, I've seen that certain tactic in about every movie I've seen so its no new to me. Get the most of the people to oppose those "freaks" of nature and "boom" they are all killed off. Sorry about a spoiler though :D, but I guess you would have seen it coming also, because of the way the events are written in that series. I am good at predicting the next scenes on all the new movies I see when I'm in the mood to do so.
Enjoy the Silence

dave432
Centurio
Centurio

Post by dave432 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:58 pm

LoneBear wrote: As noted in daniel's paper on Homo Sapiens Ethicus, the original concept was the evolution to the ethical sector (breaking out = going beyond space and time).
The term "breaking out" sounds like the Eastern concept of the Witness. As an example, you can be terribly upset about something and be completely absorbed in that mind trip, with all of your judgements and self-righteous thoughts having their say, and then you might have a moment where you realize that you are upset. The part of you that realizes you are upset isn't upset; it is quiet. This little awakening is really a step out of your mind where you have a moment of remembering that you are more than your thoughts. There is this other part of you that is always waiting for you to choose rapport.

I find regular meditation practice has increased the chances of having one of these sane moments during a time of "losing it," another benefit being the recovery time is shortened after becoming upset.

While developing the Witness, a thought may help you to focus on there being this "breaking out" version of you. A visual that has helped me is of the last visible rock before the tide comes in. This actually happened to me. I was enjoying seeing the ocean for the first time and I walked too far out on the rocks. Before I knew it, the tide was high and I didn't see my stepping stones behind me. I had to spot them under the water, a scary moment but still a good memory.
"just down the road a little way, turn left, cross the drawbridge, and you will be my guest tonight."
-- directions to the grail castle. We'll have some toast.

daniel
Centurio
Centurio

Post by daniel » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:58 pm

I just saw episode 9 of The Tomorrow People... couldn't help but get a chuckle when they ended up at Montauk Point on Long Island!

Though this idea of a Sanctuary in Limbo (Hyperspace, on the old series) is a quite interesting one, particularly since you have to get there at the transition to death. Basically, the "edge of the coin," in the analogy I used in the last paper, where you haven't completely departed one side for the other. Going to have to think about that some more, given the reciprocal relation between life and the afterlife.
Don't ever trust the people that claim the right to rule you. --Larken Rose

MrTwig
Centurio
Centurio

Post by MrTwig » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:28 pm

daniel wrote:I just saw episode 9 of The Tomorrow People... couldn't help but get a chuckle when they ended up at Montauk Point on Long Island!

Though this idea of a Sanctuary in Limbo (Hyperspace, on the old series) is a quite interesting one, particularly since you have to get there at the transition to death. Basically, the "edge of the coin," in the analogy I used in the last paper, where you haven't completely departed one side for the other. Going to have to think about that some more, given the reciprocal relation between life and the afterlife.
Just watched it too. His father had to die to get where his is in limbo. I thought psychics could just go there or at least "see" or "hear" others from that side? Another inconsistency is the Boss that has the powers, what is his deal? He can kill or at least said he could. And another thing, working with the regular human? Sound like they created a story and are filling in plots as they go. Also, how is it possible to turn on these powers or turn off as needed. I guess we are not suppose to question the story, just be thrill that somebody has achieved the abilities do something. Heroes at least had different people getting a skills creating more of a theme than this show.

daniel
Centurio
Centurio

Post by daniel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:02 pm

Have you seen episode 10, "Rumble," yet? They have introduced a Mafia version of the Tomorrow People, who get high by beating saps to near death, when their "no kill I" switch kicks in, making them stop. Basically, violence as a psychoactive drug.

It is amazing to what extremes that Hollywood will go to encourage rivalry, fear and violence in the population. From their actions, it's more like "The Yesterday People." Sure, they have "changed," but definitely not evolved.
Don't ever trust the people that claim the right to rule you. --Larken Rose

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:02 am

daniel wrote:Have you seen episode 10, "Rumble," yet? They have introduced a Mafia version of the Tomorrow People, who get high by beating saps to near death, when their "no kill I" switch kicks in, making them stop. Basically, violence as a psychoactive drug.

It is amazing to what extremes that Hollywood will go to encourage rivalry, fear and violence in the population. From their actions, it's more like "The Yesterday People." Sure, they have "changed," but definitely not evolved.
I have seen it and it really seems to be more yesterday people than tomorrow people at that episode. The last few scenes told that history repeats itself for this one individual character atleast.
Enjoy the Silence

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:44 pm

Well now. In the latest episode no. 13 they show something of a twist in the end of the episode. I dont want spoil it though. I gotta say I kinda saw it coming from a mile away. Got very interesting now to see how it continues.
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:33 pm

Ilkka wrote:Well now. In the latest episode no. 13 they show something of a twist in the end of the episode. I dont want spoil it though. I gotta say I kinda saw it coming from a mile away. Got very interesting now to see how it continues.
At first I thought you were referring to the "lovers quarrel" between John and Cara, because I missed the last couple of minutes of the show, having to answer the doorbell. I just watched the rerun... that twist actually caught me by surprise. I thought it was Luca doing it--whom will eventually develop psi ability, since he's a "synergist."

Interesting plot turn; at least the show's writing is improving!
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:33 pm

LoneBear wrote:I thought it was Luca doing it--whom will eventually develop psi ability, since he's a "synergist."
Looking forward to see that happen. Also how they will bring back Stephen's father from the dead.

Too bad the show is on an apparent break for few weeks. Returning in february 26th according to IMDB.
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:32 am

Ilkka wrote:Looking forward to see that happen. Also how they will bring back Stephen's father from the dead.
Technically, he isn't dead because he used his psi skill to stop time at the moment of death, which was an interesting concept that I hope they explore further (rather than just sex, violence and disputes, which dominates the series). That would be like getting stuck at the unit speed boundary between the material and cosmic sectors, in a kind of cul-de-sac (similar to the Tom Baker Doctor Who episode, "Warriors Gate", where they were trying to escape exospace--space with negative coordinates).

Maybe they should hire some British writers for the series... I've noticed that the BBC Sci-Fi tends to be far more creative than American Sci-Fi, which is basically "horror on a spaceship."

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:54 am

LoneBear wrote:Technically, he isn't dead because he used his psi skill to stop time at the moment of death, which was an interesting concept that I hope they explore further .
Yea, I know what you mean by that. It means that he had to stop time around his whole body and consciously remain in that state for as long as it takes to get proper help, or he is stuck in that state untill Stephen or some other not yet revealed character figures out how to help him. Maybe a spoiler this one, we'll see :D
LoneBear wrote:Maybe they should hire some British writers for the series... I've noticed that the BBC Sci-Fi tends to be far more creative than American Sci-Fi, which is basically "horror on a spaceship."
Its true I have watched this "Utopia" series thats British and it was good and there is second season coming. "In the Flesh" series was very interesting zombie genre, where these formerly dead people regain their consciousness and go back to society with living people while remaining dead and not eating nothing at all, now thats hilarious "scifi" and good drama aswell it is deemed "horror" in IMDB but I think that its more of scifi and drama than horror and drama.
Enjoy the Silence

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Sat May 10, 2014 9:50 am

The Tomorrow People series has been cancelled. I was looking forward to see the second season but they havent renewed it. Maybe it is for the best even. Kind of an hasty last episode which was an indication of its ending, as I expected of it might be and it happened to be true later when I found out the show had been cancelled.
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sat May 10, 2014 9:54 am

Ilkka wrote:The Tomorrow People series has been cancelled. I was looking forward to see the second season but they havent renewed it. Maybe it is for the best even. Kind of an hasty last episode which was an indication of its ending, as I expected of it might be and it happened to be true later when I found out the show had been cancelled.
I'll cheer that decision for once. The series just turned into sex and violence, completely unrecognizable from the original series.

And that new line they were introducing with John as the super-psi-soldier... talk about the wrong direction for mankind!

animus
Centurio
Centurio

Post by animus » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:27 pm

MrTwig wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:28 pm
Sound like they created a story and are filling in plots as they go.
No kidding! Something you would not expect from a "season 1" of a given series.
Arcelius wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:09 pm
I was also struck by how old all of the actors are. The original series featured some very young actors/actresses (perhaps 8-12 years old) as the tomorrow people. As the series progressed, more older actors/actresses were added and some of the originals grew up. The Nick version also featured younger actors/actresses though more in the 12-16 range (for the most part). In the trailer, they look more like 18-24 and could pass for older.
I am watching the series backwards, from the latest reboot to the original. This way around, the actors keep getting younger...
I liked the plot lines in the Nickelodeon version, quite conspiratorial. The villains usually consisted of the brain, the muscle (either one or both of them being an idiot) and the boss. It reminded me of all the 90s cartoons.
I haven't watched much of the original series but the first episodes followed a similar pattern.
LoneBear wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:32 am
Maybe they should hire some British writers for the series... I've noticed that the BBC Sci-Fi tends to be far more creative than American Sci-Fi, which is basically "horror on a spaceship."
I just saw that Nickelodeon also aired other British series quite like TP, meaning characters with psychic abilities. They were different shows, partly based on books, and aired under the title The Third Eye. I haven't watched them yet but they are all uploaded on Youtube.
And here is a Sci-Fi fan mentioning a bunch of other similar old shows.
LoneBear wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:16 am
I've decided to open up "The Tomorrow People" forum to registered users, for discussion of this next stage of human evolution, given the release of this series. In the past, it was a members-only group because the topic was a bit sensitive for discussion, but now that it's coming out into the public eye, "what the heck!"

The Tomorrow People forum should be visible as Stage 4 of the Sanctuary Project, after you log in.
Now that they are gone... Would it not have been better to only close the fora instead of archiving them away so that members could at least read the old content? After all, there were some good ideas and discussions worth reading. It is a shame that they are gone, completely. Feels a bit like burning the books, which is quite the contrary to helping consciousness evolve. I know I shouldn't be the one moaning, since I only posted once or twice in those fora (and initially didn't even notice they were gone :oops: ). But I would still prefer to have a book in a bookshelf which I could read whenever I felt like it than not having it at all. For example, I hated Latin in school but I am interested in the language now. Interests come and go. And these days, in the age of informational regurgitation, good unique content is hard to come by.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:16 pm

animus wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:27 pm
But I would still prefer to have a book in a bookshelf which I could read whenever I felt like it than not having it at all. For example, I hated Latin in school but I am interested in the language now. Interests come and go. And these days, in the age of informational regurgitation, good unique content is hard to come by.
I have reinstated "The Tomorrow People" forum. Chris, as moderator, please review the topics for appropriate context as I do not have the time to do this right now.