Beginner Magick

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
Amhlaibh
Centurio
Centurio

Beginner Magick

Post by Amhlaibh » Thu May 07, 2009 6:00 am

I'm finding working through things in my head doesn't seem to be enough and I've come across a book of magick that contain's spell's for some of my issues that need to be dealt with. I'm new to practising Magick so would like to know if anyone has success in it and what are some good begginer spells to learn the ropes?
I have some crystals and some herbs, I'd like to know if the exact ingrediants and crystals are needed or if others can be used as substitute to symbolize what is missing?

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Beginner Magick

Post by Alluvion » Thu May 07, 2009 7:31 am

Mind sharing what book? And certainly do a forum search here, we've thrown that term and the art around in various ways for a while now, but always interested to see what someone with a fresh perspective comes upon.

And how was your journey?

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu May 07, 2009 1:18 pm

oldnum7 wrote:I'm new to practising Magick so would like to know if anyone has success in it and what are some good begginer spells to learn the ropes?
What do you want to accomplish with it? There are numerous types of magick, and the process differs for specific goals.

"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potionmaking," Snape began, "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses.... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even put a stopper in death --."

The essence of magick is to create a pattern in the collective unconscious, to alter the behavior of people or Nature. As with everything, messing with the group mind comes with a price. The amount depends on what you want to do, and how you go about doing it. Magick is not normally used for self-development (meditation is)--magick is used to change the external world. Are you sure you want to do that?

Amhlaibh
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Amhlaibh » Thu May 07, 2009 7:41 pm

Mind sharing what book? And certainly do a forum search here, we've thrown that term and the art around in various ways for a while now, but always interested to see what someone with a fresh perspective comes upon.
I took your advice and have read lots on the forum and in archive. The book is simply called "A Book Of Spells", it has a 1956 copyright but published last year and I paid $5 NZ for it brand new. I know it sounds like the book is probably rubbish, but the book then not knowing what it was I saw from far away and was drawn to look at it and I knew I should look into it. The start talks of pagans, elders, ancients and further on that the Kabbalah is a source of its information. The first half of the 200 plus page book is about preperation and understanding what your trying to do (apart from law of reflection!) then wide range from love, elementals, drydans, oracle, archangels and some gods. Protection, transformation, money and feelings among others.
And how was your journey?
Thanks for asking tho I didn't want you to :D . I'm joking mate. Well it didn't turn out like I thought it would, had a good talk with LB bout it and I took some baggage that shouldv'e been left behind. I was trying to be open to any signs to much that I dismissed the obvious which in turn pushed away the oppertunity I had to make contact with someone/thing which had been aranged. I haven't posted about it as I was let down with myself, I don't feel that way now as it has shown my true position amoungst it all and I got given a face full of it. This will help me immensley. Was good for me, the next adventure will be better and will definately be in summer next time!
What do you want to accomplish with it?
Well I'd like to become a knowledgeable wizard so it is something I have to learn I feel, I wrote some things down before reading up on magick and they seem STS but I will still list them tho have changed my mind on some.
To find some direction, to call up some inner strength, to bring some oppertunity my way, to seek guidence from a higher source, to try tune my senses better to communicate with higher sources. Normally my usual methods of asking the universe work but thought it may be good to learn differnt techniques, some of my messages may not be reaching the destination or just not getting a reply lately so I also was thinking maybe the physical representation of it will send them better.

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Thu May 07, 2009 8:31 pm

The more I learn the more I see that truly, to paraphrase, any extensively analyzed magic shows itself as indistinguishable from science.

I think this is a really interesting statement, depending on how one perceives that position. What is your take on it?

Amhlaibh
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Amhlaibh » Fri May 08, 2009 1:22 am

The more I learn the more I see that truly, to paraphrase, any extensively analyzed magic shows itself as indistinguishable from science.
Where did you pick that one up mate? I think this is one of those statements that take time to really understand, Ive read it a few times and this is what I have. It says to me the more magick learned, the more you can see deeper into it then it shows itself in everything everywhere, everyone. It says Magick is science.
This depends on your take on science.

How do you see it?

I also relised something when chopping wood this arvo, I had these huge rounds I couldn't chop and was going to get a hydralic splitter for, but I tried to split them and found I could chop it off piece by piece from the outside in, then it hit me what I posted earlier saying to use magick to bring oppertunity, very lazy of me thinking that. you have to seek oppertunity to find the ones you need and shouldnt be beckoned to your feet I feel. Funny how I got that from wood.

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Fri May 08, 2009 7:54 am

I really enjoyed your response!

Science is the process of clarifying, testing and contributing to bodies of knowledge. Magic includes facts not yet understood - and 'fantastic' magic comes from understanding which first requires Great changes in consciousness. One of the things I've learned to clarify and test, in terms of my own living experience, is if my reactions/choices/experiences are contributing to my own intelligence? Is this choice/state of mind/reaction really helping me become smarter?

Doubt can be extremely useful.

What would you gain by being a 'great wizard' ?

Amhlaibh
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Amhlaibh » Fri May 08, 2009 1:30 pm

[quote] What would you gain by being a 'great wizard' ?/quote]

An STO existence.
Knowledge and wisdom I would share with those who seeked it, I would think in doing this that more knowledge comes back to you thus furthering your evolution and higher self.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Fri May 08, 2009 2:45 pm

Amhlaobh wrote:Well I'd like to become a knowledgeable wizard so it is something I have to learn
What does it mean to be a wizard to you?
Amhlaobh wrote:To find some direction, to call up some inner strength, to bring some oppertunity my way, to seek guidence from a higher source, to try tune my senses better to communicate with higher sources.
None of these things require magic (by at least one definition of magic). All of them can be accomplished by using meditation though it may depend on what you mean by bringing opportunity your way. Also remember that everyone operates in magical realms. Most people are not consciously aware of what they are doing there. There is nothing wrong per se with seeking guidance from a higher source. You might keep in mind that there is nothing that special about the higher sources that differentiate them from yourself. You may be as well served by figuring yourself out through meditation (then you will know and understand).
Amhlaobh wrote:Normally my usual methods of asking the universe work but thought it may be good to learn differnt techniques, some of my messages may not be reaching the destination or just not getting a reply lately so I also was thinking maybe the physical representation of it will send them better.
I haven't found that helpful but let us know your results.

Amhlaibh
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Amhlaibh » Fri May 08, 2009 7:59 pm

What does it mean to be a wizard to you?
A wizard is one who practices magick. Magick is the concious controlling the sub-concious.
I'm quite aware that one doesn't need to practise physical magick to get results, as I never have before. It is something that I know very little about and to learn more for my own personal knowledge would be beneficial would it not?.
One of the things I've learned to clarify and test, in terms of my own living experience, is if my reactions/choices/experiences are contributing to my own intelligence? Is this choice/state of mind/reaction really helping me become smarter?
And to add the above, Alluvion's post comes into this.
I don't feel that it can be answered until one has personal experience with it as to be reflected upon, it may not need much experience to answer. I do see that one who didn't want to walk the path, looking for an easy way to fly over it, would find it not to be beneficial in the pursuit of enlightenment. I am not doing it for that purpose, it's self education of physical practical methods that could possibly offer similar or same results as thought projection/visualisation, meditation. Isnt it better to know of two routes to the destination than one? If I find it is not useful then I still will gain knowledge.
Some spells also require meditation so would that be sending a stronger signal?

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Fri May 08, 2009 8:43 pm

Which is more entertaining - wielding special effects from your finger tips to awe and amazement of both yourself and others (which would really get the attention of those who could pay you for your services AND keep those in line who would try to screw with you), or, wield your willpower to hone your intelligence so that you can gain greater and greater knowledge, OR, wield yourself as a guide who can only share with others seeking what you yourself have learned in your seeking?

Or....

Or....

Between your last two responses I see a contradiction.

Amhlaibh
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Amhlaibh » Fri May 08, 2009 9:47 pm

I cant see a contradiction, where do you see it? Im always careful (especially with you mate!) to try have my grammer correct, cultural diference and us NZers have a very loose language may play a part in mis-interperuptation which is my fault.

To your question- the first is how the imagination would have you see it. The next is STS and the last is STO.
For entertainment? I think most would say the special effects- probably is still STO as it would be giving your friends a great time. :D
If you used another word than entertainment I would say STO.

I was recommended to post this topic, I didn't expect the scrutinty, but it is fine, I enjoy the conversation with you.
Correct me if im wrong of course.

Ok Ive noticed I had the words self and personal in my last post. Is this what you think is the contradiction?

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Sat May 09, 2009 10:08 am

Scrutiny is par for the course here. Interestingly, I just lost a lengthy post to this topic (something about RSS feed software). I guess it was not to be.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sat May 09, 2009 11:06 am

Arcelius wrote:Scrutiny is par for the course here. Interestingly, I just lost a lengthy post to this topic (something about RSS feed software). I guess it was not to be.
Sorry about that... I waited until the system showed you as logged off... but I guess you were just locally editing and it did an "inactivity" timeout. (If you click "Preview" every so often, it keeps you registered as logged in). In my experience, the "Back" button can recover the posting form, so you can "copy" and save until the forum returns. It may still be in your browser history, if you haven't closed the browser.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sat May 09, 2009 12:09 pm

Amhlaibh wrote:The book is simply called "A Book Of Spells", it has a 1956 copyright but published last year and I paid $5 NZ for it brand new. I know it sounds like the book is probably rubbish,...
Actually, there was some pretty good stuff written around that time. Do you have an author or ISBN? The name is too generic to locate in used book stores.
Amhlaibh wrote:Well I'd like to become a knowledgeable wizard so it is something I have to learn I feel, I wrote some things down before reading up on magick and they seem STS but I will still list them tho have changed my mind on some.
It's like that saying, "guns don't kill people... people kill people." Same with spells. It's not the spell, but what the caster does with it (in most cases).

So, Professor Amhlaibh... where would you like to specialize? Potions? Wands? Spell-casting? Herbology? Divination? I hear there is usually an opening for a "defense against the dark arts" instructor!
Amhlaibh wrote:To find some direction, to call up some inner strength, to bring some oppertunity my way, to seek guidence from a higher source, to try tune my senses better to communicate with higher sources. Normally my usual methods of asking the universe work but thought it may be good to learn differnt techniques, some of my messages may not be reaching the destination or just not getting a reply lately so I also was thinking maybe the physical representation of it will send them better.
I like Doctor Who's take on guidance from higher sources... "well, sometimes I do talk to myself!"

I've yet to encounter a "higher source"... I have run across those more knowledgeable than I, but they always refer to themselves as "fellow travelers" on the great Path, even though there are times I feel like a microbe compared to what they are. They always treat a serious student with respect, and never rate themselves in a "higher" context (quite different from Wanderer "density wars").

Just an FYI... "source", as in "The Source", often refers to the "Source of all evil", so be careful seeking higher "sources"--if you get one that claims to be higher, it probably IS, but not one you may want to engage.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Sat May 09, 2009 4:35 pm

The other post is gone. I did try going back in the browser but my text didn't show up. Normally, I copy a post to clipboard just in cause (not this time). 'Twas not to be or for my eyes only.
LoneBear wrote:Actually, there was some pretty good stuff written around that time. Do you have an author or ISBN? The name is too generic to locate in used book stores.
A modern book with that title would probably be rubbish. However, from 1956, it could be a good find. I did some brief searching around and the title is too broad to locate anything. Was it privately published? Some good stuff from that time period was. Unfortunately, it may make the book harder to find (for other people). In addition to author or ISBN, a publishing company can be helpful sometimes for locating older books (or finding recently-republished-under-a-new-name books).
Lonebear wrote:It's like that saying, "guns don't kill people... people kill people." Same with spells. It's not the spell, but what the caster does with it (in most cases).
With some magic, the caster becomes the spell. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot . . . .
Lonebear wrote:I've yet to encounter a "higher source"... I have run across those more knowledgeable than I, but they always refer to themselves as "fellow travelers" on the great Path, even though there are times I feel like a microbe compared to what they are. They always treat a serious student with respect, and never rate themselves in a "higher" context (quite different from Wanderer "density wars").
I have encountered "higher sources" before or rather those who consider themselves to be "higher sources". They usually aren't going anywhere and will tell you how you can do the same (for a price, of course). Of course there are exceptions and you probably don't want to become their slave (be careful). For a serious student, there is always respect particularly if they are actively pursuing their development and evolution. Once anyone starts doing so noticeably faster than what is expected (i.e. the pack or flock), there is quite a lot of courtesy granted to them by those who are similarly inclined. Even if you are just a microbe (or less) by comparison. On the subject of "density wars", may the "service" be with you :) .

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Gopi » Sat May 09, 2009 5:31 pm

So, Professor Amhlaibh... where would you like to specialize? Potions? Wands? Spell-casting? Herbology? Divination? I hear there is usually an opening for a "defense against the dark arts" instructor!
Question for the Professor... what does your name mean? :)
It is time.

Amhlaibh
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Amhlaibh » Sun May 10, 2009 9:10 am

Its Pamela J. Ball, only place I found it was on Arcturus publishing site. The 1956 copyright I thought is actually the In accordance 1956 copyright act, It has a 2005 copyright. So possibly not the right book to practise from?
Question for the Professor... what does your name mean?

This is how Ive aquired it just recently.
Ive been looking into my acenstory for some while now and never come up with much. My last name is Auliff and there are as of 5 years ago only has 9 male airs worldwide-as far as documentation and contact goes, closely related mostly far apart, I know 6 of them. I am a bastard child, no name of father so only mother history. All my life I have known of viking decent mother father side but not who from and led to believe romani mother mother. A week ago I managed to contact an uncle who is in contact with my grandma whom I never knew and she states no romani and that her mother left Hungary WW1, hence where romani rumour started. Found out tonight she was Jewish. Is no more information.
Couple days of discussing it with mum of gypsy, she shared her knowledge of our viking side that came from someone reasearching it in America who has evidence of our decent to Olaf the White son in law of Aed Finnliath. Amhlaibh is gaelic for Olaf and Auliff in English which is my last name. Ive done reasearch on earlier decnent on Aed have found several sources- earliest was 1000ad apx that shows he desends from the House of Munsus that are desendents of Odin. Now he is stated as a god in much literature but I found small bits saying he wears a pointy wide brimmed hat and blue gown/robe. Real wizard or Mythical God?
As of providing contact this info has led to block removal personally and to my uncle, whom spoke to me truth of my sick and twisted current family discord that no other will.

Amhlaibh
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Amhlaibh » Sun May 10, 2009 9:33 am

I'm not sure yet, I'm drawn to look at the magick of where I am decended.

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Sun May 10, 2009 1:44 pm

Amhlaibh wrote:I cant see a contradiction, where do you see it? Im always careful (especially with you mate!) to try have my grammer correct, cultural diference and us NZers have a very loose language may play a part in mis-interperuptation which is my fault.

To your question- the first is how the imagination would have you see it. The next is STS and the last is STO.
For entertainment? I think most would say the special effects- probably is still STO as it would be giving your friends a great time. :D
If you used another word than entertainment I would say STO.

I was recommended to post this topic, I didn't expect the scrutinty, but it is fine, I enjoy the conversation with you.
Correct me if im wrong of course.

Ok Ive noticed I had the words self and personal in my last post. Is this what you think is the contradiction?
The contradiction I see is between what you state you want and the means with which you are most excited to get that.
What kind of wizard would you be?

Amhlaibh
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Amhlaibh » Tue May 12, 2009 9:48 pm

The contradiction I see is between what you state you want and the means with which you are most excited to get that.
What kind of wizard would you be?
Could you ellaborate on what kind of wizard would I be? Perhaps you could say what kind of wizard am I?
To my understanding there is light and dark and perhaps some in between that serve both.
I have been raised with light values and have been to extreme depths in dark for a length earlier in my life. By my twenties I had been through and done more than many in their entire lives. These things makes me know who I truely am and my direction in life.
I know what sort of wizard I am and I use my magick from within. I have no experience and limited knowledge on the practise of physical magick. This topic is for more knowledge and an informed choice from others whom I hold a great deal of respect for. The path's we are on are in the gain of knowledge among other things, is it not?
Perhaps I do not need to learn how to practise practical magick but maybe more understanding of it can improve my magick from within?

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Wed May 13, 2009 10:10 am

It is impossible for me to tell you what kind of wizard you are/would be. I have no idea, so thats why I asked.
My position is that the 'good vs evil' narrative is one framework for walking the Path, but cross referenced with the vMemes it eventually shows itself to have an end point, or at least, an exhaustible supply of plot devices.

I have no doubt that you can learn to practice and use 'magick' - but from what I can tell, those skills and techniques are as unique as each individual. My position is that the only relevant discussion between Adepts is on what do you want (sts intelligence), who are you(sto intelligence) and what do you know(kheb intelligence)?

Light vs dark eventually becomes an entropic story line, now matter how its dressed up. Tonal exploration, something closer to kheb, offers another option but in terms of evolution is much a greater degree of freedom/burden.

Amhlaibh
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Amhlaibh » Fri May 15, 2009 6:40 am

I havnt left this topic.-a
It seems the doubt you mentioned moved in a couple days ago. Im doing some self examination.

Amhlaibh
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Amhlaibh » Fri May 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Light wizard. I have nevrer and would not ever knowingly use the universe to inflict harm.
Some reason my interperitation of your replys have had another meaning, which I see needed adressing.

The path that doesnt play a game.
In the Reciprocal System, there is the "direction reversal" that opposes the outward progression. One could call that "free will". BUT... by itself, it does no good. Direction reversal has to operate on either space or time before something will manifest. Analogously, "free will", by itself, does not good; it has to operate on either the yang (sts) or yin (sto) to have manifestation. But that becomes the chicken-and-egg problem; does sts/sto exist prior to free-will application, or does free-will application create sts/sto?
I read the entire forum, gave me much better understanding now.
I only learned of the service paths a few weeks ago, from my reading I put myself into the STO catergory. However looking within my self and actions found a lot of STS, then the problem arises of later seeing the STS and STO were necessary for the oppisite path thus allowing me to walk my path. I would like to say Im on an STO path but I have always done what I think is right and always will so dont feel comftorble being on the STO,STS lists. I feel Kheb could be the path but Im not sure if the thinking of that is from the STO and STS being one in my life and necessary?

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Fri May 15, 2009 3:22 pm

Amhlaibh wrote:Light wizard. I have nevrer and would not ever knowingly use the universe to inflict harm.
If all is one, is it possible to use the universe to inflict harm? How is harm defined? Just because something may be interpreted as painful does not make it harmful. Though the STS path is sometimes interpreted as inflicting harm, it is important to remember that it is a sanctioned path and that includes the "harm".

When I first read the "light", I immediately thought of weight (i.e. light versus heavy). It made me think of what a heavy wizard would be like (Hagrid?). I then thought of light as the basic building block of the universe. In this respect, all wizards work with light at some level. As I continued to read your post, your meaning became clear.
Amhlaibh wrote:I only learned of the service paths a few weeks ago, from my reading I put myself into the STO catergory. However looking within my self and actions found a lot of STS, then the problem arises of later seeing the STS and STO were necessary for the oppisite path thus allowing me to walk my path. I would like to say Im on an STO path but I have always done what I think is right and always will so dont feel comftorble being on the STO,STS lists. I feel Kheb could be the path but Im not sure if the thinking of that is from the STO and STS being one in my life and necessary?
How did you learn of the service paths? The requirements for harvestability on the STO path is 51% STO while for the STS path it is 95% STS. Thus, even those who are harvestable on the STO path will still have some STS tendencies. Do you see yourself as being on a service path?