Purpose of Feelings!

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
snetu
Discens
Discens

Purpose of Feelings!

Post by snetu » Wed May 27, 2009 1:05 pm

A huge amount of importance is given to thinking to grow, I was wondering what then is the actual purpose of feelings? Do they matter at all?

What do you all think about them?

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Purpose of Feelings!

Post by Alluvion » Wed May 27, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi Snetu,

I'll paraphrase something I wrote in another thread. Feelings are different than emotions, and that has to be discerned first.
Emotions are kind of archetypal, they sit in the most intelligent place of the body which itself cannot individuate. It is intelligent enough to survive, seek pleasure and avoid pain (the primeval basis of feelings) and only sometimes, very rarely and only over time, begins to discern fact from non-fact (a primeval basis for thinking). Emotions are a huge drain on the energetic-resources of the body/mind because they mobilize so much non-local energy to fulfill a pattern, karma, that has not been objectively appraised.

Thought is enhanced by objectively looking into the outer world(through the 5 senses) and into the inner world, feeling is enhanced by subjectively looking into the outer world and into the inner world(coupled with unexamined emotional contents, this alignment can be psychologically dangerous). I don't believe I must choose one or the other, I believe I must learn to looking in both manners into both locations. Same with polarity or any individuated intelligence in this place - experience everything so you can make a choice, until you've experienced enough you cannot make a totally intelligent choice.

What becomes interesting is the way feelings (and emotions, and the in some ways the body, through the Shadow archetype) are rooted in the unconscious - in that way we can be born with pre-existing biases which we encounter and can deal with through catalyst.

Amhlaibh
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Amhlaibh » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:09 am

so are you saying feeling is at its base associated with what most percieve as the five senses. A book im currently reading talks of our twelve senses but it doesnt list them. Im not sure how many senses there are, do you know?
Taste, smell, touch, hear, sight then maybe telepathy, telekenisis, third eye, viualisation, thought projection, non local communication, energy manifestation? to name a few. Do you know what the sixth sense actually represents? perhaps telepathy, that can work like radar, bouncing back intention. Or a gateway.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:40 pm

snetu wrote:A huge amount of importance is given to thinking to grow, I was wondering what then is the actual purpose of feelings? Do they matter at all?

What do you all think about them?
Feelings are the primary rational valuing system of 2nd density (animals and plants). Rational thought occurs in the upper end of 2nd density and is developed through the 3rd density, building the animus (Ra's "spirit complex").

Feelings are how the Mind values; thinking is how the Spirit values. That is why the Spiral Dynamic transition from Tier 1 to Tier 2 requires a change from green, human bond feelings into yellow, systemic thought.

Feelings are the foundation of biological life, but should be used to enhance it, not control it, in 3rd density.