Blackout 3 weeks ago

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

Blackout 3 weeks ago

Post by Tulan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:04 am

Reminders abound.

3 weeks ago, the electricity to about 5 million people (including all city services too, not just residential) went out for a solid 8 hours; this included me! All of San Diego county, Tijuana, Mexicali, Yuma, and other smaller surrounding areas were affected.

It was funny for me, having grown up on a ranch, to see the city folk freak out over having no TV - I've never seen so many people out on the street, socializing, barbecuing, and being engaged; I remember walking by a house I walk by often - it has a handicap ramp to the front door and I've never seen the people that live in there until that moment - the older handicap man was on his front lawn with his children and their children, playing.

It was quite fun, it really drove home my appreciation of stillness too; once night fell there were no lights, very few people or cars about (because traffic lights were out), and I could actually see the stars! The first thought that came into my consciousness when I was standing out side looking around, was this: "All of these people just lived the fullest 8 hours that they've lived in a long time," and then, "I had better make sure to not be here when the lights go out for much longer!"

We are "lighting up" so much of our external world that sometimes it distracts us from the lights on the inside; few people know where the switch is, are terribly afraid of not being able to turn on their television or bathroom light, and are too scared to try and find it [the light switch on the inside]. I've realized it's time to help and the best lightbulb we've (the Elders) got is knowledge.
Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song. - Kosh Naranek

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Blackout 3 weeks ago

Post by LoneBear » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:37 pm

Last time something like that happened, the local observatories were flooded by calls from people wanting to know what all those strange lights were in the sky... they had never seen stars before.

I think they did a "Simpsons" episode on what you describe, when TV and videogames weren't available, and all the kids went outside and started playing, the adults started socializing... actually became a community again--until the power returned! We actually "played" when we were kids. Nothing structured, we'd create things ourselves. And didn't watch much TV... just the cartoons on Saturday morning, and the shows my parents liked.

The same thing happened when Hurricane Irene went through Connecticut, right over the top of my mom, Irene. Power was out for several days, so no electric stoves or AC, so people started spending time outside, getting out the grilles and helping each other clean up. Natural disasters tend to bring out the best in people... too much technology seems to bring out the worst.