Respect for the Spiritual

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
Post Reply
User avatar
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis
Posts: 3906
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:38 am
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Contact:

Respect for the Spiritual

Post by LoneBear » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:19 am

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a considerable lack of respect for the spiritual--and I'm not just talking "religious," but the full range of what would be termed "metaphysical" phenomena?

I was looking around the Internet to see if I could find any locations or temples dedicated to Hanuman in the region, and came upon the Boulder, Colorado "Hanuman festival," where they have apparently turned Hanuman into a Yoga mascot. Apparently, they want to do a yearly festival (this was the first), where people can get together and "vibrate" the world into a better place through yoga.

I've been around for a while... back in the 1960s, TV sitcoms used to poke fun at this "vibration" stuff and quite honestly, after what, some 50 YEARS of "vibrating," the only results I've seen is that the world is in a far, bigger mess than it was back in the 1960s. Still having wars, famine, crashing economies, corrupt government, corporate abuse of resources and the environment... now going well beyond national boundaries to global ones. Somebody please tell me, "what has all this vibrating accomplished?"

And this is not an isolated case; I've seen the same thing, world-wide. Mount Fuji in Japan was one of the most sacred mountains in the world--now it is more of a garbage dump than anything else. Native American sites all over this region are covered with graffiti and the original, scenic beauty nearly destroyed. And no one shows any respect for the Other Realm anymore--the old traditions are gone and no longer taught. (And they existed for a reason.)

Why is it so difficult for people to have even the slightest courtesy to the unseen realms? Has the human race become so materialistic that they cannot conceive of anything beyond their own, personal satisfaction? Sorry for the rant, but I am just totally appalled at what I've been reading.

It may be homo sapiens epitaph, "Death by Spiritual Suffocation."

User avatar
Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:58 am
Location: Salt Lake City
Contact:

Re: Respect for the Spiritual

Post by Gopi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:09 pm

From what I can see, it has become WYSIWYG: What You See Is What You Get.

I feel really bad when people around me use that logic, to pretend as if what they can see is the only real thing that there could possibly be. And as every generation thinks more and more that way, those thoughts make the NEXT generation even less inclined to question that assumption. If they have not understood the reason for some things, at least at the level of feeling, then all the traditions in the world cannot help but contribute to a further deterioration of the next generation. It is a collective phenomena, and the Dark and White Lighters aren't helping.

And it is also an effect of too much of "treating children like adults" thing going on, which naturally makes it impossible for them to appreciate that there can be more than what THEY think they know, right from an early age. When respect to fellow humans is not forthcoming, how on earth will respect for the unseen ever come? And making them adults very quickly will have the same effect as that of any premature birth: death.

Definitely dark times.
It is time.

User avatar
Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada

Re: Respect for the Spiritual

Post by Arcelius » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:10 pm

LoneBear wrote:I was looking around the Internet to see if I could find any locations or temples dedicated to Hanuman in the region, and came upon the Boulder, Colorado "Hanuman festival," where they have apparently turned Hanuman into a Yoga mascot. Apparently, they want to do a yearly festival (this was the first), where people can get together and "vibrate" the world into a better place through yoga.
I don't know anything about this particular festival. However, there is some scientific evidence to support that idea. I'm thinking of the TM studies. However, the number of people doing this kind of thing is rather small and so any effect is also small. Looking at more metaphysical material, the higher quality of person involved with the "vibrating", the better effects generated from such Yoga. The likelihood of a very high quality person (metaphysically speaking) attending a festival of any kind seems slim to me unless there was some other specific purpose in showing up. Such people tend to be more serious and not so prone to party.
LoneBear wrote:Somebody please tell me, "what has all this vibrating accomplished?"
Very little as you have noted. One can only vibrate what one is. To have this vibrating have an effect, the people vibrating need to be changing themselves so their vibrations are different, improved, and stronger.
LoneBear wrote:And this is not an isolated case; I've seen the same thing, world-wide. Mount Fuji in Japan was one of the most sacred mountains in the world--now it is more of a garbage dump than anything else. Native American sites all over this region are covered with graffiti and the original, scenic beauty nearly destroyed.
The worst one for me is what is happening to Tara in Ireland. They are building a 4-lane highway through part of it (or maybe it's completed at this point).
Gopi wrote:And it is also an effect of too much of "treating children like adults" thing going on, which naturally makes it impossible for them to appreciate that there can be more than what THEY think they know, right from an early age. When respect to fellow humans is not forthcoming, how on earth will respect for the unseen ever come? And making them adults very quickly will have the same effect as that of any premature birth: death.
I would have thought that childhood was being extended. That children aren't really growing up anymore. It wasn't that long ago when a 12-year old could have left home and built up a life for themselves and it wasn't a rare thing. Now there are many 30-year olds that wouldn't dream of leaving home (I personally know a few at least). What do you see when you say that children are being forced to grow up too quickly?

When respect for one's self is not forthcoming, there is no hope for respecting anything else. When the self is denied, what is left? This is the path of self-annihilation. In general, we can't stand ourselves anymore and can't be honest with ourselves about it.

User avatar
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis
Posts: 3906
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:38 am
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Contact:

Re: Respect for the Spiritual

Post by LoneBear » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:39 am

Arcelius wrote:Looking at more metaphysical material, the higher quality of person involved with the "vibrating", the better effects generated from such Yoga. The likelihood of a very high quality person (metaphysically speaking) attending a festival of any kind seems slim to me unless there was some other specific purpose in showing up. Such people tend to be more serious and not so prone to party.
Unfortunate, but true.
Arcelius wrote:Very little as you have noted. One can only vibrate what one is. To have this vibrating have an effect, the people vibrating need to be changing themselves so their vibrations are different, improved, and stronger.
Now that is a terrifying thought! Ever see the old film, "Forbidden Planet?" Archeologists digging on a remote world found a machine buried in the ground--a cube, 20 miles on a side. Turns out that the brilliant inhabitants of this world built this machine to create matter from thought, for the entire population. Want a pizza? Visualize it on the table and poof, the machine will create it there for you. According to what they determined from their history, it was wonderful the day they turned it on... worked perfectly--until people fell asleep and started dreaming, and the machine did not know the difference. Manifested every monster and terror from every nightmare on the planet, wiping out the entire population in a single night.

In theory, the vibrating concept is a good idea, but like Forbidden Planet, it does not take into account the psychic contents repressed into the unconscious--which is usually far stronger than the conscious content, as it normally has years to store up energy. And that will manifest in the localization of collective thought--the appointed "leaders" of the various states, provinces and countries. As you infer, those people become the symbols of the actual vibration of the collective unconsciousness--which is why I find it a terrifying thought.
Arcelius wrote:The worst one for me is what is happening to Tara in Ireland. They are building a 4-lane highway through part of it (or maybe it's completed at this point).
I believe it was finished last June, and nobody uses it. They still use the old roads, because nobody wants to pay the high tolls to use the road. Last I heard was that they want to lower the speed limit on the old roads, under various guises, to try to force people on to the new highway--or collect the funds from speeding tickets.

I hate to admit it, but I'm really getting sick of the selfish greed, lies and backstabbing of those we trust with our liberties.
Arcelius wrote:I would have thought that childhood was being extended. That children aren't really growing up anymore. It wasn't that long ago when a 12-year old could have left home and built up a life for themselves and it wasn't a rare thing. Now there are many 30-year olds that wouldn't dream of leaving home (I personally know a few at least). What do you see when you say that children are being forced to grow up too quickly?
I believe Gopi means that children are given the privileges of being an adult, without the knowledge or experience to properly use those privileges. As a result, not only will they repeat the mistakes of their ancestors, but they will be reckless in their decisions, not having the facilities to understand the consequences of their actions.
Arcelius wrote:When respect for one's self is not forthcoming, there is no hope for respecting anything else. When the self is denied, what is left? This is the path of self-annihilation. In general, we can't stand ourselves anymore and can't be honest with ourselves about it.
I think it was Sally on "3rd Rock from the Sun" that said something like, "I'm a woman. We get married, have babies, give them to total strangers to raise and spend our life wondering where we went wrong."

Out here in the Wild West, there are still a lot of folks that "home school." I've worked with some of them. They are some of the finest kids I've ever worked with--conscientious, hard-working, knowledgeable... they show up on time and usually have their own tools. Quite the contrast to the government-school raised kids, whom, if they show up at all, are late, hung over, intoxicated, or high, don't have a clue as to how to do simple jobs, don't even have a pair of work gloves, and will probably steal stuff from you, because they don't think they are being paid enough and they have a right to take it, since they are SOOO important. If they actually DO some work, it will be the absolute minimum, and will probably fall apart in a day. (Had a college "construction major" assemble a cement mixer--didn't bother to tighten any of the bolts, so the first time it was used, the vibration shook the nuts off and it fell apart in a heap, full of concrete. Just one of MANY incidents.)

I'm not sure it is about "not standing yourself" as much as too much self-importance on the physical side of things. In other fora, I've seen challenges about how buff you can get in 90 days, or not having sex for 30 days,... yet, I've never seen a challenge like "who can do the most good deeds in one day." We used to do "good deed" challenges when we were kids (may be part of a Polish Catholic town upbringing), and were proud of it--and everyone benefited from that challenge.

It may be time to start building an Ark--again.

User avatar
Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada

Re: Respect for the Spiritual

Post by Arcelius » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:37 pm

LoneBear wrote:I believe Gopi means that children are given the privileges of being an adult, without the knowledge or experience to properly use those privileges. As a result, not only will they repeat the mistakes of their ancestors, but they will be reckless in their decisions, not having the facilities to understand the consequences of their actions.
Without being guided as to the appropriate use of those privileges. And perhaps freedom without responsibility. Not needing to pay the price for one's actions because someone else will take care of them. Therefore, never really learning about life.
LoneBear wrote:I'm not sure it is about "not standing yourself" as much as too much self-importance on the physical side of things. In other fora, I've seen challenges about how buff you can get in 90 days, or not having sex for 30 days,... yet, I've never seen a challenge like "who can do the most good deeds in one day." We used to do "good deed" challenges when we were kids (may be part of a Polish Catholic town upbringing), and were proud of it--and everyone benefited from that challenge.
It may be the difference between the conscious and subconscious parts of ourselves. The conscious part is caught up in the importance of the physical to the exclusion of other things. Subconsciously, I see this as avoiding the spiritual side where the true self lives. Why would one avoid one's true self? Is it that painful?
LoneBear wrote:It may be time to start building an Ark--again.
Perhaps. Or otherwise prepare to be on the safe side of a cleansing/purging regimen.

User avatar
snetu
Discens
Discens
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Respect for the Spiritual

Post by snetu » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:18 pm

I have been thinking and feeling of the same thing for the past several weeks now. Having interacted with a few people from different countries (East and West), I can see that this whole thing of "materialistic thinking" is penetrating everywhere. I am not trying to be biased or racist, but just feel that even the Eastern old cultures are almost dead/dying today and on a global level everything is just becoming more and more materialistic. When I was young thing were quite different back home, but today I just see that this energy of materialism, lack of depth in thought, etc is just penetrating every country. Some old things remain like food and clothes, but that is more for pleasure (looks good, tastes good) ,but the other things which are harder to practice/think about are going down exponentially.

The human race is advancing technologically, but lost the deep connection and respect for nature. Even if there are environmental laws they are more for human good than preserving the environment itself! Rivers being re-routed, or not allowed to drain into the ocean, the list is endless. Economic Colonialism is slowly spreading at vast scales (although not easy to notice, it is all covered up as international trade relations and economics). "Powerful" countries are buying land and the water on it to feed their own people, leaving nothing behind for the native inhabitants . Not for Commercial crops, but basic food grains and water!

Also, the point about the younger and NEW generation being more and more away from the connection to the Spiritual side of life is true. All the technology and entertainment seems to be new "Religion" for the younger crowd! And even mentioning the S of Spiritually or the "other-side", you are immediately categorized as "unscientific thinking because there is no proof".

User avatar
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis
Posts: 3906
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:38 am
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Contact:

Re: Respect for the Spiritual

Post by LoneBear » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Arcelius wrote:Not needing to pay the price for one's actions because someone else will take care of them. Therefore, never really learning about life.
Very true. I know a 45-year-old whose mommy still pays all his bills. He's trashed every place he has rented, because mommy will come along with the checkbook and make it right--he does not have to take ANY responsibility for his actions. Only cares about mommy; just waits around for the rest of his relatives to drop dead so he can collect his inheritance from them. What a society we live in these days.
Arcelius wrote:Why would one avoid one's true self? Is it that painful?
As I understand it, it is not pain but the ego losing control as the dominant complex in the psyche. Ego likes power and will not readily surrender it.
Arcelius wrote:Perhaps. Or otherwise prepare to be on the safe side of a cleansing/purging regimen.
Been thinking about it... the Monastery I want to build is basically a kind of "spiritual Ark;" a place to keep the last vestiges of true, human spirituality preserved from the materialistic flood that is engulfing humanity. But I don't want to be Noah, leading Wanderers to the Ark, two-by-two. It needs to be a cooperative effort.

Something that Singh Li told me and has only begun to settle in to the depths of my mind, was that further human development could not be accomplished through rivalry. Competition inflates the ego--the "I'm better than you" idea. And our system of education teaches competition--sports, brain busters, etc. (Evaluation--Testing and grading is a different matter). And the funny thing about that is when you leave some young kids alone in the park to play, they don't compete--they cooperate. They find the things they all enjoy, and do them, taking turns so everyone gets a shot. Heck, when I was a kid, we used to love to play volleyball (we called it "valleyball" because of the U shape to the yard.) We'd never keep score--just play, see how long we could keep a volley going, fun stuff. Wasn't until the adults forced us in to Little League that we had to compete against each other.

If man is going to move on to the next stage of development, I believe he is going to have to drop being the predator and start working together. And I don't mean in that new-agey "synergistic" way or the distorted marketing techniques called "rapport." Rapport is the solution, but in the ancient sense: the process of working together towards higher goals. And I've noticed a lot of society is structured to keep people FROM working together, that "All for One--and I'm the One" attitude. Isn't it time for a change?

User avatar
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis
Posts: 3906
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:38 am
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Contact:

Re: Respect for the Spiritual

Post by LoneBear » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:55 pm

snetu wrote:When I was young thing were quite different back home, but today I just see that this energy of materialism, lack of depth in thought, etc is just penetrating every country. Some old things remain like food and clothes, but that is more for pleasure (looks good, tastes good) ,but the other things which are harder to practice/think about are going down exponentially.
I concur; it is all about appearance, not substance. People seem to be hollow shells these days.
snetu wrote:Also, the point about the younger and NEW generation being more and more away from the connection to the Spiritual side of life is true. All the technology and entertainment seems to be new "Religion" for the younger crowd! And even mentioning the S of Spiritually or the "other-side", you are immediately categorized as "unscientific thinking because there is no proof".
Also very true; I guess they now go to Silicon Heaven instead--I mean, there must be one, right? Where else would all the calculators go when they die?

Regarding proof: the only thing you can do that is worse then not giving them proof, is GIVING them proof. Unscientific loonies are safe and can be ignored. But if you demonstrate reading their minds or manipulate material reality with a thought--now you've become dangerous and a threat. That can get you killed.

I think we all see that there is a developing chasm between materialism and spirituality and that chasm will eventually get wide enough that it will cut the two groups off from each other.

So I guess it comes down to... are you willing to DO something about it?

Post Reply