Calendars, Cataclysms and Creation

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Calendars, Cataclysms and Creation

Post by LoneBear » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:27 am

When I was researching the oddities of the Moon concerning New Jerusalem, I found that there were a couple of recurring dates that appear in the mythology of cultures all over the world. The first was the creation of the world, which was used as a start date for the respective calendars, and the second was a major upheaval of the world, about 2000 years later. The date of this upheaval, that changed the length of the day, the position of the stars and the length of the year, is documented to be around 1500 BC, which was not that long ago. Researching that date brought me to the works of Immanuel Velikovsky and his "Venus as a comet" theory, which is interesting, though his research into cultural legends about Earth upheavals is far more thought-provoking.

Velikovsky had enough references, mainly Biblical, Babylonian and Vedic, for me to do some checking on my own. My mythological history is more Native American (North and South tribes) and Germanic, so it was an interesting correlation--and it did correlate very closely.

What I found was this: geologic and astronomical dating is not what they say it is. What is claimed to be millions of years may only be thousands, and we've experienced at least 3 major geological changes in the last 6000 years.

The Maya and Aztec were very picky astronomical record keepers, and maintained some of the best calendars in the world. The Vikings were expert sailors, and kept some of the best maps in the world, which includes star charts as well as coastal outlines, for celestial navigation purposes. Around 1500 BC, there was a sudden, world-wide demand for new maps and calendars!

Something similar happened again, around 800 BC (Velikovsky puts the date at Feb 26, 747 BC) that again caused a change in calendars, but only minor corrections to maps.

It is rather interesting that the people who made these new calendars were called in Hebrew, "sod ha-avour" (secret of the transition), from where we get the word, "savior", as they saved the crops (corrected planting/harvest times) and trade routes across the sea.

To summarize what I've found is:

Prior to 747 BC, there were only 360 days in a year. At the start of the 6th Baktun, the Maya added 5 "evil days" to their 360 day calendar (1 winal = 20 kin, 18 winal = 1 tun; months, days, years). They considered the number "5" to be evil and I think I found out why.

As I mentioned in the 2012 post, the start of the Mayan long count was at Baktun 13, 13.0.0.0.0, not zero, because the 4th sun was destroyed on that date, and the 5th sun started. This is commonly accepted as August 11, 3114 BC--IF you count 365.25 day-long years. But that was not the case prior to 747 BC, where there were only 360 days in a year. And it gets worse than that.

The Viking sagas speak of a battle with Ouroboros, the cosmic serpent, that occurs around 1550 BC. What they describe was a giant serpent that came and encircled the Earth, biting its own tail. Considering Velikovsky's comet idea (Typhon)--it makes sense. A large comet with a tail could look very much like a serpent. Trapped by Earth's gravity, that comet could have looped around the Earth, leaving it's "tail" as a wake, and biting its own tail (head meeting tail) before it was driven off by the AEsir (comet left orbit). Afterwards, the sky darkened, "hot hail" fell, and all sorts of other stuff that would be appropriate for meteoric bombardment from the icy debris of the comet's tail.

The Vikings, whom had explored America well before Columbus, discovered that the continents were torn asunder--the old maps no longer matched what was out there.

Hopping over to the other side of the world, the Maya were having calendar problems at that time. Their original calendar was based on 13 winal of 20 kin -- a 260-day year, now remembered as the Tzolkin, the sacred calendar. On the date of 5.10.15.7.9, written in their notation as bar, bar-bar, bar-bar-bar, dot-dot-bar, dot-dot-dot-dot-bar, where a bar represents 5, meant that date had a lot of 5's in it: 5, 5-5, 5-5-5, 5+2, 5+4. After this cosmic battle, they had to add 5 winal (months) to their long count, bringing it to 18 winal of 20 days -- a 360-day year, and they corrected the long count to 4.0.0.0.0, which was the number of days that had passed in the old calendar, making this event start at the beginning of the 4th baktun. It is no wonder that "5" got such a bad reputation!

If this is true, then prior to 1550 +/-5 years, there were only 260 days in a year, the Earth was physically smaller, probably rotating slower (more hours in a day).

Cultures count their years by two, different methods. There are the day-counters, like the Maya, and the year-counters, like the Hebrew, that connect the year to a celestial event, like the rise of Sirius, and adjust the days and months to match.

The start of the new, 5th sun, 13th baktun is on December 21, 2012, which represents a count of 1,872,000 days. When determining the start of the world, conventional researchers just divided that by 365.25 and account for leap years, ending up with a start date of August 11, 3114 BC. Let's correct that figure by using the adjusted days-per-year (using 1554 BC to match the 4th Baktun):

2013 to 747 BC = 1,007,704 days = 2759, 356.25-day years.
747 BC to 1554 BC = 290,520 days = 807, 360-day years.
1554 BC to start-of-era = 573,776 days = 2207, 260-day years.

Grand total: 5773 years since the start of the 5th sun. Back calculating, that would mean the "start date" is 3761 BC, when counting by years (NOT 3114 BC). Curiously, that is the start of the Hebrew calendar, the creation of the world! (The Hebrew year on Dec 21 will be 5773.)

It could just be a remarkable coincidence, but I have to wonder.