Kepler System

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
mongo
Centurio
Centurio

Kepler System

Post by mongo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:03 pm

http://www.nasa.gov/ames/kepler/astrono ... 440CyiZO21

I just read this article from NASA about the Kepler system. It says how they were surprised by the weight of Kepler 10c being 17 times the weight of
Earth and almost twice the size. They mention the orbit of Kepler 10c around its "sun" being 45 days. Made me think that they have it all wrong again. It sure sounds like the Kepler system is really a planet with moons with Kepler 10c being one of those moons. I would think there would be some heavy metals there which is why they are so interested.

daniel
Centurio
Centurio

Re: Kepler System

Post by daniel » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:33 am

mongo wrote:I just read this article from NASA about the Kepler system. It says how they were surprised by the weight of Kepler 10c being 17 times the weight of Earth and almost twice the size. They mention the orbit of Kepler 10c around its "sun" being 45 days. Made me think that they have it all wrong again. It sure sounds like the Kepler system is really a planet with moons with Kepler 10c being one of those moons. I would think there would be some heavy metals there which is why they are so interested.
Well, let's just take a look at the data, and see how it compares to our solar system...

Distance from "sun": 0.2407 AU
Orbital period: 45.295 days
Size: 2.35x Earth or about 18,607 miles in diameter.

Since conventional astronomers are looking through a 10x magnifying glass without realizing it, we need to reduce the distance and size by a factor of 10:

Distance from gas giant: 0.02407 AU
Orbital period: 45.295 days
Size:1,861 miles in diameter.

Checking around our solar system, I find the closest distance match to be Iapetus (moon of Saturn):

Distance: 0.0238 AU
Orbital period: 79 days
Size: 914 miles in diameter.

Note that Iapetus is about 1/2 the size and orbits 2x as fast--the same mass/velocity ratio.

So it looks like you are correct; Kepler 10c is just a moon, slightly smaller than our own moon. Quite ordinary and commonplace--but I guess that doesn't make for journalistic sensationalism! But you gotta wonder if, "that's no moon--it's a space station!"