Western Education

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
PeacefulMe
Indagator
Indagator

Western Education

Post by PeacefulMe » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:22 am

I found this very interesting website and thought I'd share...as a homeschooling family, it really hits home as to why we do it...I've always felt strongly about homeschooling when my kids were first born, but had no conscious reason why. I went to public school like everyone else I know. But I never learned anything. I did what I had to do to pass the tests and get the heck out of Dodge! It wasn't until recently that I actually have this passion to learn...never had that while attending 'school'.

http://schoolingtheworld.org/film/

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Western Education

Post by LoneBear » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:32 am

I went to a private, Catholic school (priests and nuns) and learned a great deal. But I suspect that is a generational difference... we WANTED to be successful in life and willfully took the initiative to learn what we could, to find out how we could be successful.

I recently heard a interesting and appropriate comment on this, in response to the question "What do you want to be, when you grow up?":
  • In my generation, people would answer for themselves: doctor, lawyer, chef, astronaut, movie star, scientist... no hesitation--they had plans for their life.
  • When today's youth are asked, they just stare at you blankly in response, while someone else answers for them... "a burden on society." IMHO, an accurate appraisal.
Regarding home schooling... I'm sure you heard that yet another "school shooting" false flag took place on Valentine's day in southern Florida, and this time the kids are pushing a "gun control agenda." Reminds me of the old days when Bush senior would justify his terrors by claiming, "we're doing it for the children!" (eg: Kuwait) To me, the simple solution to these school attacks is this: CLOSE the government schools and home school everyone. That way there aren't enough children in one place to do any damage--if any was actually done.

I encounter a number of home schooled kids when living in Wyoming, when looking for part-time help. The difference:
  • Public school workers: showed up late, or not at all. Came with phones and headsets. Had no idea how to use tools or do simple things.
  • Home school workers: on time or early. Brought their own tools--and knew how to use them. Knew what to do, half way through explaining the job.
It is curious, however, considering we live in the "information age"... that public and private schooling are no longer educating anyone. It is just entertaining the children, because schools receive beaucoup bucks from the government, for just filling the seats. It's just "business," now.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

animus
Centurio
Centurio

Post by animus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:45 pm

PeacefulMe wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:22 am
http://schoolingtheworld.org/film/
Thanks! That documentary fits right into my paper's last chapter. I will put it right after Josie Outlaw's A Prison By Any Other Name

LoneBear wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:32 am
When today's youth are asked, they just stare at you blankly in response, while someone else answers for them... "a burden on society." IMHO, an accurate appraisal.
:lol:

Ilkka
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Ilkka » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 am

LoneBear wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:32 am
When today's youth are asked, they just stare at you blankly in response, while someone else answers for them... "a burden on society." IMHO, an accurate appraisal.
Here is a picture for that one, which I just saw few hours ago and saved from this one site where there are loads of different pictures.
Vocation.jpg
In Finland our government pays for the education and food for kids from 7 years old (when we start school normally) to 15 years old, when you have 3 three choices of schools, vocation (which I took), "high school"(ours is different), or 10th class for getting your grades up to go into either choice before. In high school you learn more about the same stuff as before with additional psychology lessons that I didn't get in any of my schools, after that "high school" you would need to apply for "higher vocational school" or university to further your education. It mostly depends how your grades are if you get into the school or not, if not then you can take a year off and try again next year etc. All the higher schools like vocation and high school you need to buy your books and afterwards in higher like university you need to buy your lunch as well.

Thats as far as I know about our schooling system. We too have had some school shootings in the past, but mainly because it is hard to get a gun in this country. Nowadays it has become easier though I think. After that one incident they made some changes to the laws for handguns a psyche evaluation if memory serves. In our culture there has been no need for civilians to have handguns anyways, only rifles and shotguns for hunters. It is illegal to have a pocket knife with a long blade in public areas in this country, cant remember how long though maybe under 5 cm blade would be legal for self defense.
Enjoy the Silence