The Martial Arts, what it is, and the higher meaning of it.

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

The Martial Arts, what it is, and the higher meaning of it.

Post by Tulan » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:25 am

I was reading over the many posts in the Ranger forum, and came across the mention of the Martial Arts a time or two. I felt it would be prudent to post my own thinking and experience of this subject. Forigive me if it is in the wrong place on the Ranger forum, just figured the general discussion was most appropriate.

I have been a student of the martial arts all my life (since I was about 2 or 3 I beleive). As usual, I had wanted to start the martial arts because I was so enthralled with all the "karate kids" in the movies, and my only beginning fascination with it was how "COOL" it was.

My study of the martial arts up until maybe 5 years ago was mostly with the intent to "be cool, look cool because I could kick your a$$". So with this in mind the path of the Martial Arts is an enlightening one, but the greed of the ego must be overcome through epiphany. My path wound me through Tai Kwon Do, Aikido, Tai Chi, Jiu Jitsu, and finally I rested upon Kenpo (I have studied in both the IKKA and AKKA organizations and still study it).

I can say my epiphany that led me from the response "I can kick your a$$" to "No I don't want to be hurt" during a confrontation (any kind, coming from verbal to outright physical). I will say, "No I don't want to be hurt" is a statement one can only truly understand once the "I can kick your a$$" phase as been walked and understood.

My epiphany was brought on through the years of study and self-discovery my amazing teacher, instructor, and friend provided me. It was also triggered by a specific event, however due to my reluctantness to feed any negative thought experience into this wonderful place, I will withold that story, only for those who ASK to hear it.

The martial arts, specifically Kenpo, are an integral part of my life; and my body absolutely loves the martial arts, because of the very rigorous, unusual, and MEANINGFUL exercise it provides. As well the martial arts are well known for the philosophic and very wise knowledge of combining the spiritual with the physical, and how to breed love and light from the hate and violence of others.

The view point that Aikido vs Karate may be a more peaceful one is mostly because Aikido REQUIRES the teachers to teach something peaceful. But the REAL wisdom and the real elightenment is garnered by going through the process of actualizing the violence within one, embracing it, and breeding that energy into Love and Light; this can only be done, in a safe setting where you will not hurt others, and others will not hurt you (potentially) AND the instructor is the most important aspect NOT the style of martial arts. My instructor taught me how to defend myself from others, then how to defend myself from myself, then he taught me what the martial arts are TRULY about.

I learned Discipline, Honor, Self Respect, Respect, Passion, Strength, Power, CONTROL, and a Love To Strengthen the Love of others.

"The MOST effective way to defend oneself from a fight, is to not get in one." That is for those who are most concerned with defending themselves on a physical level. It does not mean submission or passivity, it means WALKING AWAY.

"Learn to defend yourself from and embrace your fears, and fights will no longer come your way."

A martial artist is one who begins the path as a warrior, and ends his path, realizing, he is but a man.

I highly suggest viewing the video "Hero" or "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" (if you already havn't) for those represent, through character and story the culmination of what the Martial Artist is and strives for.

Beyond that I suggest you get studying, because as with everything else, being a martial artist is a life long discipline if that path is so chosen.

I do hope the path of a martial artist is chosen carefully and thoughtfully if one ventures there.
Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song. - Kosh Naranek

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: The Martial Arts, what it is, and the higher meaning of it.

Post by Alluvion » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:11 am

while i've never studied in practice I have studied in contemplation. What always attracts me to the martial arts, particularly non-'aggressive' forms such as aikido or tai chi, which i know really isn't a 'martial art' - is the sincere dicipline and union of mind body and spirit that results from such intense application.
Right now my main committement is mostly mental, i am in school for architecture, and while that deals with physical/spiritual issues, it is primarily mental training.

How does the wisdom/lessons you've learnead from practicing these techniques correspond/differ from the law of one?

_a

Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: The Martial Arts, what it is, and the higher meaning of it.

Post by Tulan » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:58 pm

If applied and taught to, all martial arts can have the same effect on the mind, body, and spirit. However the "americanizing" of the martial arts just makes alot of everything out there silly and overly violent.

I highly reccomend, Aikido, Tai Chi, and the Kenpo AKKA organization.

>How does the wisdom/lessons you've learnead from practicing these techniques correspond/differ from the law >of one?

The Law of One and martial arts have alot in common, on a general scale and on a personal scale. I will elaborate later.
Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song. - Kosh Naranek