Four-edged Sword

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio

Four-edged Sword

Post by BlueEagle » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:11 pm

I remember a while ago, when LoneBear and I (and Garibaldi) were talking, in which Garibaldi said something about a 4-edged sword.

Four edges of the sword:

Chaos: Thought
Feeling
Joy: Being
Pain: Learning

Garibaldi/Jean Luc has been trying to explain this to me, but I keep getting it wrong. Can you help any?

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Four-edged Sword

Post by LoneBear » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:08 pm

BlueEagle wrote:I remember a while ago, when LoneBear and I (and Garibaldi) were talking, in which Garibaldi said something about a 4-edged sword.

Four edges of the sword:

Chaos: Thought
Feeling
Joy: Being
Pain: Learning

Garibaldi/Jean Luc has been trying to explain this to me, but I keep getting it wrong. Can you help any?
The Vorlon triple-edged sword has the meaning: Your side, My side, and the Truth.

The common double-edged sword has the meaning of "kill or cure" (sword as weapon, sword as surgical knife).

A 4-edged sword would be a quadration, a dichotomy of dichotomies. Quadration can refer to the rational and irrational axes intersecting; rational being thinking and feeling, and the irrational being sensation and intuition.

One can see how each of these 4 functions can be used to either "kill or cure"; you can give a person intellectual disinformation to lead them down a false path, or good leads to help them on their way. You can hurt a person's feelings, or pump them up with joy.

Swords are tools, and all tools are used to alter your environment. So what kind of tools are chaos, joy and pain?