Drugging of Americans

General discussion about the Elder Race, Life, the Universe and Everything.
zenmaster
Cellarius
Cellarius

Drugging of Americans

Post by zenmaster » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:01 pm

In its study, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention looked at 2.4 billion drugs prescribed in visits to doctors and hospitals in 2005. Of those, 118 million were for antidepressants.

High blood pressure drugs were the next most-common with 113 million prescriptions.

The use of antidepressants and other psychotropic drugs -- those that affect brain chemistry -- has skyrocketed over the last decade.

Adult use of antidepressants almost tripled between the periods 1988-1994 and 1999-2000.

Between 1995 and 2002, the most recent year for which statistics are available, the use of these drugs rose 48 percent, the CDC reported.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/07/09/an ... index.html
Many psychiatrists see this statistic as good news -- a sign that finally Americans feel comfortable asking for help with psychiatric problems.
Uh, right. More like a sign that they will be getting a new Mercedes.

So what do you think are the contributing factors to this increased drug use?

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Drugging of Americans

Post by LoneBear » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:55 pm

zenmaster wrote:So what do you think are the contributing factors to this increased drug use?
In a word: over-socialization. Life needs challenge and people need to have real accomplishments in their life. And I don't mean getting to level 100 on Frozen Bubble. When society does everything and controls everything you can and can't do, you start "existing" rather than "living"--no brain, no pain.

The "Industrial Society" article in the Antiquatis library explains it well.

Starlight*
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Starlight* » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:07 pm

LoneBear wrote:
zenmaster wrote:So what do you think are the contributing factors to this increased drug use?
In a word: over-socialization. Life needs challenge and people need to have real accomplishments in their life. And I don't mean getting to level 100 on Frozen Bubble. When society does everything and controls everything you can and can't do, you start "existing" rather than "living"--no brain, no pain.

The "Industrial Society" article in the Antiquatis library explains it well.
I prefer Tetris.

From another prespective, it's a way of treatment towards its effect. Instead of dealing with it head on toward the cause.

The drug industry is a contributor.
At the place of work, drug representatives leave free samples of medication their company offers. There is free lunch a the the office almost everyday as they cater; this is for allowance to promote their products.

Starlight*

Slender
Indagator
Indagator

Post by Slender » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:35 am

It's money making, pure and simple...it is affecting symptom instead of root cause of the disease. All disease with few exception (genetics/env.toxins) are caused by diet and lack of preventative measure. The European diet is to blame, and would root back a few centuries basically. Half a millenia. And getting worse in the last century.

People need to revert back to herbal cure. I spend (waste) my medical insurance that I'm forced to have for no good reason. I treat all ailments with herbs. Period. The same swine flu my two coworkers had last year had them out of work for two weeks. They gave it to me also as they were using my computer and I began herbs as soon as I got home. I had symptoms start that morning. I did not miss a single day. I have a salve that will heal a festering sore within 12 hours. There is really no need for medicines of the pharma type. Our ancient ancestors gave us all their knowledge to cure ourselves with plants and minerals.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:19 pm

Slender wrote:All disease with few exception (genetics/env.toxins) are caused by diet and lack of preventative measure.
I would say that all disease is basically psychosomatic in origin. This would mean that a part of you "agrees" to have any disease. It also means that you already possess the means to cure any disease on your own without any outside help.

Slender
Indagator
Indagator

Post by Slender » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:50 am

That may be so, but if people aren't willing to believe in mind power at least maybe they'll try herbal...and if you believe herbs work, the mind would accept that.
Interestingly though, people who believe regular meds work often become toxic and it doesn't work. Why?

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:13 am

Slender wrote:That may be so, but if people aren't willing to believe in mind power at least maybe they'll try herbal...and if you believe herbs work, the mind would accept that.
I'm with you... I can cure just about anything with proper nutrition and a few herbs. And it's not like you need to memorize the encyclopaedia of plants... just some basic knowledge of what certain herbs do can cover 90% of the problems.
Slender wrote:Interestingly though, people who believe regular meds work often become toxic and it doesn't work. Why?
Because of excess and imbalance. Drugs are derived from specific, concentrated extracts of plants and animals, far in excess of natural quantities. When you tip the see-saw that far to one side, there will inevitably be a reciprocal reaction (a "side effect") to try to swing it back, and once that see-saw gets rocking, it's hard to stop.

Slender
Indagator
Indagator

Post by Slender » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:17 am

I agree...I was more addressing that question in regards to the mental cure aspect of things. If mental causes disease, then how would medicine work? And if it cures, then why do medicines work?
I do agree though that the placebo effect can work, but when we think of babies or children with diseases, they don't have that level of ability to understand that concept thus we use medicine...and herbal would work better.
I tried to will away a secondary infection from a house centipede but failed. I tried herbs with willpower, fail. So...I tried activated charcoal with absolute success.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:17 pm

Slender wrote:I agree...I was more addressing that question in regards to the mental cure aspect of things. If mental causes disease, then how would medicine work? And if it cures, then why do medicines work?
It is tough to build a house if you don't have any wood or nails--energy is intelligent, and as such it makes for "good workers." But those workers need the tools and raw materials to do their job, which are the nutrients provided in clean food and herbs.

Granted, the body CAN transmute elements into what it needs, but that process consumes energy that may not be available when one is sick or injured.

Get all the raw materials together FIRST, then use the mental disciplines to instruct the body and energy to use them for the necessary repairs.

Medicines work because the body usually knows what to do, instinctively. They just provide a sufficiency of the raw material that is needed for a particular application.

In some cases, biological transmutation of elements can suffice, but that usually requires an external "power source", such as the Earth, Logos or something symbolized as a god. That can result in spontaneous remission.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:43 pm

LoneBear wrote:Granted, the body CAN transmute elements into what it needs, but that process consumes energy that may not be available when one is sick or injured.
There is an unlimited energy supply available that most people (humans) never tap into. If most people did, then medical science in its various forms would go away along with many other things like wars and so forth.
Lonebear wrote:Medicines work because the body usually knows what to do, instinctively. They just provide a sufficiency of the raw material that is needed for a particular application.
Most people do not trust their own bodies or their own instincts.
Lonebear wrote:In some cases, biological transmutation of elements can suffice, but that usually requires an external "power source", such as the Earth, Logos or something symbolized as a god. That can result in spontaneous remission.
You can be your own "power source" even if most people are not and have no interest in becoming so.

Slender
Indagator
Indagator

Post by Slender » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:34 am

I have an interest in it. I'm just not entirely sure how to harness it.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:48 pm

George Hunt Williamson wrote:One of the questions was asked by my wife as she is interested in medicine: "You have such tremendous development in space ships, etc., have you advanced in medical science?"
They answered with just "No."
We were amazed and said: "That does not seem right. You have space ships yet you have not advanced in medical science. Why?"
The answer was: "Simple, no disease, no medical science."
They also said that it was not natural for man to die in agony of cancer or other diseases, and that it is not the germs we have that cause disease. The germs are merely scavengers and it is incorrect thinking that causes diseases.
In my experience, it is usually the assumptions that people have in their own minds that are the problems. The assumptions that are so basic that most people do not even think to question. Or if they are questioned by someone, those someones are simply laughed at. These assumptions form the way life is for most people.