Esoteric Chess (Wanna Game?)

Forum for the sharing and discussion of various research projects going on.
Juanter
Indagator
Indagator

Esoteric Chess (Wanna Game?)

Post by Juanter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:05 am

I stumbled across this old website that goes into great detail as to this esoteric form of chess that supposedly has been played for centuries.

http://home.deds.nl/~spike/hesse/intrachange/intro.html

The basic principal is that each square of the board directly correlates with one of the I-ching symbols, and each piece on the board represents various forms of the
I-Ching hexagrams. The largest variation is that certain moves result in "esoteric" moves that change the game in various ways. However, while winning the game is the objective, each move and play can be examined and interpreted on various levels. I found the information contained to be very interesting as I have been reading about I-Ching for sometime now.

If you are at all interested in this type of thing, please read the info in the website above. If you are interesting in starting a game, let me know and we can discuss how you would want to get it started. The game is intended to last a while (one move per person/per day or so) because it is a game of concentration and evaluation rather than a race to the finish. In order to pull this off we would have to either (keep a board at our respective houses showing where the pieces are after moving/ have some ongoing digital board on some game website...)

Regardless I think this could be a interesting exercise, let me know if anyone wants to participate.
FYI, I am a Chess novice, so experienced chess players may have more fun playing others of appropriate skill.

Juanter
Indagator
Indagator

Re: Esoteric Chess (Wanna Game?)

Post by Juanter » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:34 am

Seriously? Not a person on this cite is interested in this?

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:07 pm

Juanter wrote:Seriously? Not a person on this cite is interested in this?
Interested, and having the time to pursue it, don't usually coincide for me! Just too much going on at the moment.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:07 am

Juanter wrote:Seriously? Not a person on this cite is interested in this?
For myself, I am not actually interested in this.

I do play chess; probably above average though not nearly good enough to go professional. I have even studied the I Ching somewhat at one point (not terribly thoroughly though). I seriously doubt the connections that are being made between chess and the I Ching. The act of looking into this and becoming a part of it by playing the game will effect inner changes to myself (and whoever is involved). These changes don't resonate with my current path and will deter me from reaching those things I have decided to strive for. For what purpose would I change my course? Certainly not idle curiosity.

It reminds me a bit of my father-in-law. He doesn't like to play card games because he is too familiar with the Tarot (from which playing cards derive) and gets distracted by people hand's and their fortunes. One can find meaning anywhere. One can create meaning anywhere as well. If you and others wish to create a linkage between chess and the I Ching within yourselves, that is your choice and perogative and I respect that. However, I think you will find many people here who are too busy working on their own projects to be distracted.