Symbol and Name

Forum for the sharing and discussion of various research projects going on.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Triangles

Post by LoneBear » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:50 pm

I trust you all understand from the Q'uo transcript, that Q'uo can't design a symbol for the Rangers, and technically, can't really give too much of a hint with the vesica piscis and triangles and stuff... but isn't it rather curious that just such a symbol is posted, out of the blue, as the first thing on the new Reciprocal Philosophy forum.

Now how does that go... nudge, nudge, wink wink? :D

cointreau
Cognitor
Cognitor

Adoknights

Post by cointreau » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:53 pm

I though about the name "The Adoknights" which is obviosly a combination of Adonai and Knights so the Knights of Adonai could be shortened to "Adoknights".

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Adoknights

Post by LoneBear » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:20 pm

cointreau wrote:I though about the name "The Adoknights" which is obviosly a combination of Adonai and Knights so the Knights of Adonai could be shortened to "Adoknights".
The dictionary lists "adonai" as a Hebrew word for God. Yet Q'uo uses it as a closing, like "goodbye". Any idea what it is supposed to mean?

A quick historical search comes up with Adonai being a derivation of Adonis (Apollo). The suffix indicates Adonai were the followers of Apollo.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Ancient name for the Rangers

Post by LoneBear » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:59 pm

Had an interesting dream this morning, where I was back in the ancient city of Tollan. Quite a beautiful place; I'd love to build it again. I spoke with a group of people that all had a common insignia on their cloaks -- I don't remember it exactly, but it had an Infinity symbol with a twist -- quite literally -- the infinity sign was also a Mobius strip.

I asked about it, and they said it represented the combination of diversity and unity within infinity. The strip showed the recurring paths of Nature; the colors (it was kind of "Aurora" colored) showed the diversity of paths, yet when all is considered, all is one (a Mobius strip is a geometric oddity--a surface with only ONE side -- inside and outside are the same thing).

Someone else also mentioned the name of these people with this insignia, "Erudio Tutoris". I would have thought it to be a Toltec word, but it is medieval Latin: Erudio (to free from roughness; to instruct, teach, educate), Tutoris (a watcher , protector). Maybe this isn't the first time the "Ranger" idea has come up...

Thought I'd mention it, because the Mobius strip as an Infinity symbol could work for the Rangers. It certainly is different enough.

The group also referred to the Atlanteans as "caecus". In Latin, it means: "blind, not seeing; intellectually or morally blind; uncertain, objectless." Similar in a way to the "Muggles" of Harry Potter. Apparently, the Erudio Tutoris traveled to other parts of the world quite frequently.

BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio

Re:

Post by BlueEagle » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:52 pm

I had an immediate connection when I read this. The feeling was close to what I felt up in Wyoming, only from my mind, not my whole body. I wasn’t paying to much attention so it slipped away pretty quickly. It felt like I should be able to see a picture of what you were describing; only I couldn’t. Actually, it feels like a hook is attached to me, trying to pull me, and I am too based in reality to let go enough.

The Mobius strip also reminded me of the figure previously talked about, on the Reciprocal Philosophy forum. A center vertex, with two shapes, connected, coming out from the center in an 180˚ angle.
Believing in Faith

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Symbol and Name

Post by Alluvion » Sat May 07, 2005 1:23 pm

Hi all,
a current symbol that bublbled up for me involves the square (earth-ness) the circle (unity) and the oval (earth-sun orbit, the cosmic).

Basically the square 'sits' flat with a row of diverse plantlife reaching its roots down into the space of the square, and arcing with leaves and blooms towards a circle above (ie, the sun, or unity, its abstraction allows for various levels of meaning that involved eaching towards unity) all bound within an oval, or perhaps an oval connects the roundedness of the sun to the rounded-ness of the roots below. To met he plants function as a symbol of the mind - consciouss reaching towards the light and unconsciouss towards the unknown sources within. How might spirit be layered into this imagery?

What do you all think?

_A

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Wed May 11, 2005 11:38 am

WarmSylph wrote:Basically the square 'sits' flat with a row of diverse plantlife reaching its roots down into the space of the square, and arcing with leaves and blooms towards a circle above (ie, the sun, or unity, its abstraction allows for various levels of meaning that involved eaching towards unity) all bound within an oval, or perhaps an oval connects the roundedness of the sun to the rounded-ness of the roots below. To met he plants function as a symbol of the mind - consciouss reaching towards the light and unconsciouss towards the unknown sources within. How might spirit be layered into this imagery?
Got that "tree of life" feel to it. What if you made the oval a Mobius strip, showing how manifestation occurs within Infinity?

I think you need to find a way to incorporate the triangle/pyramid, which would be the 4th density component. (I know it's hard to do without heading for that Masonic look--guess all the good symbols are already taken!)

Vuyiswa
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Vuyiswa » Wed May 11, 2005 12:49 pm

What if you made the oval a Mobius strip, showing how manifestation occurs within Infinity
What is a Mobius strip? :?

How about the Ankh, standing at the mid point of the infinity sign, which sort of lies at the feet of the Ankh.

Encase the above in a square, and surround the whole lot with a circle, then encase all in a pyramid, so the whole image is within the pyramid.

So the circle (earth) surrounds us ( Ankh in Sqaure) and we stand at the intersecting point of the Infinity sign.

The pyramid surrounding all and representing the coming 4d, could have a sense of animation and energy movement if we could find a way of getting the top of the pyramid to look like it is sending out energy in the form of a torus shape?

So the overall feel/look is circular, but make the torroidal shape seem more 3dimensional than the flat graphic of the rest of the image. The whole thing looking like it is emitting energy from the oval of the Ankh encased in the sqaure, circle and pyramid? Maybe too complicated.

I wish I had the tools/know how to send a graphic!. Hard to convey in words.

Love,

V
Love is All/All is Love\r\n\r\nWhat you are looking for is what is looking.\r\n- St. Francis of Assisi

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Wed May 11, 2005 1:31 pm

LB and vuy,

I am working on some triangle business at the moment. The best way to avoid the masonic connection is to make the triangle implicit and feminine , rather than explicit and masculine, in this way it becomes and invisible organizational device.

Does the image of the 'tree' involve the connotation of diversity enough? I always want to over do it so, your opinions appreciated!

A mobius 'strip' is a basically a paradoxical condition - a single plane is given one twist and joined together so that all surfaces connect - the inside is actually the outside, and the outside is actually the inside, thos relationships all depend upon the point of view of the observer. I'll do some more drawing with this ideas in them.

_A

GhostCat
Cognitor
Cognitor

Post by GhostCat » Thu May 12, 2005 12:47 am

Mobius loop? Did someone say MOBIUS loop? LOL ...
Bear, you didn't tell me about this thread!

V, I knew I liked you. I'll have to email you my mobius loop.

cointreau
Cognitor
Cognitor

Post by cointreau » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:00 pm

Is this what you guys are talking about?

http://www.cut-the-knot.org/do_you_know/escher.jpg

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:54 pm

yep, one version of it.

_A

cointreau
Cognitor
Cognitor

Ouroboros

Post by cointreau » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:33 am

I was not familiar with the term "mobious loop" which seems to have a mathematical origin. However, I do remember the tail biting snake which has symbolized infinity throughout the times. I did some research on the topic and found that the term OUROBOROS is the one applied to this particular figure. I would like to submit the following websites with pictures of ouroboros for your consideration as our symbol.

In the first website link, the first drawing (Africa--->Egypt) caught my attention because of the egyptian connection. Also notice the first ouroborus under the "Europe" Heading. It's titled "Graeco Byzantine"; and it has some ancient text in the middle. The second link I provide has the same image (fourth from the top) with a translation of the hieroglyph. The translation reads "ALL IS ONE".

http://abacus.best.vwh.net/oro/ouroboros.html

http://www.alchemylab.com/ouroboros.htm

If you take the time to explore the rest of the site, it is curious to note that drawings of ouroboros seem to exist in all ancient cultures, Meso-American, North American, Chinese, Egyptian and Greco-Byzantine. Someone was trying to tell us something!!!.
Last edited by cointreau on Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cointreau
Cognitor
Cognitor

Re: Ancient name for the Rangers

Post by cointreau » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:13 pm

Someone else also mentioned the name of these people with this insignia, "Erudio Tutoris". I would have thought it to be a Toltec word, but it is medieval Latin: Erudio (to free from roughness; to instruct, teach, educate), Tutoris (a watcher , protector). Maybe this isn't the first time the "Ranger" idea has come up...
One of the "positive" aspects of the French invasion to the British Island was the legacy of Latin terminology that still lies dormant in present day English. Curiously enough both Latin roots "Erudio" and "Tutoris" managed to survive into modern times giving us: Erudite Tutor. So apparently this Erudio Tutoris were enlightened or learned master/teachers who traveled around the world imparting knowledge. Using Latin to re-name the rangers is a viable avenue to be considered.

Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Tulan » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:20 pm

Ide like to revive this discussion, as I think it is important we come to a consensus on a symbol and name for the Rangers. I like the Rangers, but at a presentation booth....

Give me a day to read my books, and get some ideas together, I also have some ideas for the symbol. I will post and see what everyone thinks about them.
Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song. - Kosh Naranek

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Phi-Corps

Post by LoneBear » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:42 am

ivoryxs wrote:Ide like to revive this discussion, as I think it is important we come to a consensus on a symbol and name for the Rangers. I like the Rangers, but at a presentation booth....
How about the Phi-Corps?

Not to mention, if you dressed as Anla'shok and had a Minbari staff, you'd do well at Sci-Fi conventions.
Attachments
PhiCorps.gif
Phi Corps
PhiCorps.gif (17.01 KiB) Viewed 4777 times

carlalisbeth

a name for the Ranger Group

Post by carlalisbeth » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:58 pm

Hello Rangers-

I am at the Bear's after a planning session and he and I agreed it might be time for me to learn how to work the forum software. it turns out some of the forums, like the Ranger forums, are not set up so Bruce can easily send me the posts so i have not been able to participate.

So this is in a way a test. but i do have a couple of suggestions to make.

Suggestion on the name: if you like the magical vocabulary, one could wander in the direction of the alchemical. the athanor especially has an appeal, at least to me, as it is the alchemists' tool for refining base metal into gold or, to put it another way, of dorting out signal from noise within the ore of self. allied knights of the athanor or something of that sort... a thought.

Another suggestion is to play with initials and create an acronym that makes people go, say wha? Like for instance phi-U-L-L or FULL. That woulkd be agents of change on a revolutionary level united in love and light. hey, play with it!

My next planned day for doing forum posts is next Friday, so i will be back, folks... in a week. whoop tee doo, eh? Meanwhile, much love and light to each and all. I love you. see you soon. wish me luck in finding my way back without Bear!

xx and L/L- Carla wol

Tulan
Cellarius
Cellarius

Post by Tulan » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:16 pm

I like the symbol that LoneBear came up with very much. I am still undecided on an idea for a name, the Phi Corps is a good start.

I really like LoneBear's idea of using Sci Fi names and terms (as we find ALOT of allegory and symbolism with it) to build a base of association for interacting with society. A more serious, individual, and creative naming set could be used when we are not engaging Sci Fi conferences, or New Age conferences and etc...
Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song. - Kosh Naranek

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:56 am

what about the use of the whale in symbology? it connects with the ancients through song and record keeping, in terms of medicine...perhaps?

BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio

Re:

Post by BlueEagle » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:47 am

The Order of Phi
Attachments
Phi.doc
Phi
(388.5 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Believing in Faith

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:04 pm

hmm.
naming is a really important thing when it has to be done. If it requires to much explanation, the name/symbol fails to be a symbol and instead is a sign denoting the need for more information. If we choose to construct a symbol loaded with all that specific meaning, its not going to mean anything to the so called 'general' public - but it will have that information hidden within it and suggestively obvious to people who see the meaning - ie, us. My question is about the accesibility of the symbol - is our strategy to be as mysterious as possible, or to work on multiple levels of awareness - from multiple points along explicity and suggestive?

My personal position is that it should include a small over graphical tag that allows the symbol to present us to those who might not understand the extensive meaning behind what we beleieve, think and do. Images which are almost benign like trees and angels, because of their commonality, are enough to suggest to those of lesser awareness what we might be about - while abstract and highly intellectual meanings like sacred geometry and the use of PHI are present for those who have really...REALLY investigated the metaphysical. So what are some useful strategies?

-a

BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio

Re:

Post by BlueEagle » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:40 pm

True, the symbol has more technical meaning than would be noticed by your average person. And the 'only meaning' it will have to the general public it that which we give it. But one advantage I see to having a symbol with both the ability to contain mulitple asspects and the ability to be simple at the same time it that it is a teaching tool (describing aspects of the Law of One), a easily recognizable and creatable symbol (fairly easy to reproduce) and it can mean different things to each person depending on how far you want to look into it.

Additionally, you are correct in that this symbol tends to be a bit more 'mysterious' than other we could choose. However, does this not fit the Rangers? This has never been done before; attempting to create a group with such ideas and systems associated with it. How the Rangers will play out is even a bit mysterious to us. I believe it fits even better. Plus, I don't mind having people ask me what the symbol I'm wearing means.
My personal position is that it should include a small over graphical tag that allows the symbol to present us to those who might not understand the extensive meaning behind what we beleieve, think and do. Images which are almost benign like trees and angels, because of their commonality, are enough to suggest to those of lesser awareness what we might be about ...
Like we have said, we must always think about how far "down" we want to go in communicating the symbol with those we encounter. If we make it to 'benign' like you say, we loose depth. If we make it to deep, we loose communitcation.

And on that note, why did you pick Phi LoneBear? I know Psi was already taken. Phi is the Golden Number, generated using 5 (or variations), which is also the number of man. The 5th denstiy is also the density with which the idea of the Rangers connects to.
Believing in Faith

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re:

Post by LoneBear » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:09 pm

BlueEagle wrote:And on that note, why did you pick Phi LoneBear? I know Psi was already taken. Phi is the Golden Number, generated using 5 (or variations), which is also the number of man. The 5th denstiy is also the density with which the idea of the Rangers connects to.
For a number of reasons:

1) Phi is the "divine ratio", which reflects the presence of the sacred in the mundane.
2) Phi is like "psi^2"
3) I like the Phi-Corps name because of the Babylon 5 dig on the "Psi-Corps". Make for a good counterpoise to the concepts there.
4) The "corps" reference is analogous to "Esprit de Corps", (Spirit of Working Together) not a corporation.
5) The '5' reference for the Number of Man, and it is THE important starting point -- mankind in the 3rd density
6) The relationships of the phi ratio surrounding 5 are quite mystical.

BTW, loved your enhancements to it. Good job!

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Philons

Post by LoneBear » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:16 pm

Not to mention, if you went with "Phi", you could call yourselves "Phi-lons".

By your command!

BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio

Post by BlueEagle » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:37 pm

Lol. Phi-lons. Just as long as we don't have to wear the shiny plastic suits.

One thing I was noticing, which is handy, is that anytime a bad guy is in a suit, it really impares his/her ability. In Stargate... the Jafa never notice SG-1 beacuse of their big clunky suits.

Anyway... back on topic...
The "corps" reference is analogous to "Esprit de Corps"
Thank you for clearing that up.

Latin;

a gathering together: coadunatio

spirit: spiritus

But once again, I am just throwing words out there.
Believing in Faith