Properties of mercury?

Forum for the sharing and discussion of various research projects going on.
sovert
Indagator
Indagator

Properties of mercury?

Post by sovert » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:20 pm

While home for the holidays, I had an interesting exchange with my sister, who has chosen the path of energy worker/mystic.
She mentioned looking for a mirror with a specific size and frame, and I asked if she had encountered silver backed mirrors. Without me bringing up the specifics, she seemed to have an immediate sense of the possible risk/danger that such a mirror could bring about, as a type of other-side gateway. She then mentioned that she was very interested in mercury, saying that it had particular shielding properties that would be useful for her energy/spirit realm work.
I didn't have enough understanding of what the cosmic properties of mercury might be, so I said that I'd keep it in mind, and would investigate in the RS2 line of thinking

So, anyone familiar with said properties, either in traditional lore, or in RS2 thinking?

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Properties of mercury?

Post by LoneBear » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:42 pm

sovert wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:20 pm
Without me bringing up the specifics, she seemed to have an immediate sense of the possible risk/danger that such a mirror could bring about, as a type of other-side gateway. She then mentioned that she was very interested in mercury, saying that it had particular shielding properties that would be useful for her energy/spirit realm work.
The properties of the mirror would be dependent upon what she wishes to accomplish. Also the geometry of the mirror (the sacred geometry is a link to the cosmic).

Mercury is used as part of an amalgam with another metal to coat the back of a mirror. It is an old technique, dating back to the 16th century. So a "mercury mirror" will have another metal, usually silver, along with it. By itself it would be highly toxic.
sovert wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:20 pm
So, anyone familiar with said properties, either in traditional lore, or in RS2 thinking?
Hydrargyrum ("liquid silver"), 4-4-(6), transmuted from Cadmium, 4-3-(6), transmuted from Zinc, 3-3-(6).

In classic Alchemy, it is the "messenger molecule" attributed to the god Mercury/Hermes--the messenger of the gods. You can see its use in the making of mercury amalgam mirrors (and old tooth fillings)--it allows the "message" (atomic properties) of one material to be carried to another.

The (6) spatial rotation makes it yin, and therefore an "attractive" (gravitating) and generating principle. The 4-4 temporal rotation puts it at the maximum speed for this rotating system, so it carries with it both an inherent stability, but also an instability being right at the maximum temporal rotational speed.

Might want to look up the Alchemical properties of mercury, along with sulfur and salt, and they were the "black, white and gray" of that system.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.