Horned Serpents

Forum for the sharing and discussion of various research projects going on.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Horned Serpents

Post by LoneBear » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:15 am

I also ran across this as a followup to a dream I had, concerning horned serpents (the Japanese monster, King Ghidora):
It is like a "reciprocal Goa'uld"... in Stargate, the Goa'uld snake enters the body and takes over the person. Here, the person enters the body of the snake. And it is surprising (shocking) how many this snake devouring a person appears, worldwide.

And these horned serpents were apparently real at one time... this is from a pictograph, right here in Utah:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horned_Serpent wrote:To the Muscogee people, the Horned Serpent is a type of underwater serpent covered with iridescent, crystalline scales and a single, large crystal in its forehead. Both the scales and crystals are prized for their powers of divination. The horns, called chitto gab-by, were used in medicine. Jackson Lewis, a Muscogee Creek informant to John R. Swanton, said, "This snake lives in the water has horns like the stag. It is not a bad snake. ... It does not harm human beings but seems to have a magnetic power over game." In stories, the Horned Serpent enjoyed eating sumac, Rhus glabra.
Other tribes, such as my own, ancestral Cherokee, consider them highly dangerous:
Those who know say the Uktena is a great snake, as large around as a tree trunk, with horns on its head, and a bright blazing crest like a diamond on its forehead, and scales glowing like sparks of fire. It has rings or spots of color along its whole length, and can not be wounded except by shooting in the seventh spot from the head, because under this spot are its heart and its life. The blazing diamond is called Ulun'suti—"Transparent"—and he who can win it may become the greatest wonder worker of the tribe. But it is worth a man's life to attempt it, for whoever is seen by the Uktena is so dazed by the bright light that he runs toward the snake instead of trying to escape. As if this were not enough, the breath of the Uktena is so pestilential [toxic], that no living creature can survive should they inhale the tiniest bit of the foul air expelled by the Uktena. Even to see the Uktena asleep is death, not to the hunter himself, but to his family.
It appears the size of this creature ("as large around as a tree trunk") is accurately represented in the above picture, swallowing a person. This brings to mind the tales of sea serpents, as well as some more local tales of people going missing in National Parks, as though dragged off by something.

I also ran across some David Icke connections, where he discusses this horned serpent as a symbol of the ruling families/NWO... given the mystical powers they seem to possess (divination, mesmerization, etc), I can see how that association can be made. (Perhaps they are even breeding them in secret, because of those powers.)

The trail of these horned serpents leads directly to the "dragon" legends, both in Scandinavia and the orient, such as the Lindworm, the dragons that gnaw at the roots of Yggdrasil and, of course the basilisk (a creature documented as real by Leonardo da Vinci, in his book, Bestiary).

A number of common factors emerge from the legends: skin like armor, with a vunerable spot akin to an Achilles heel, a crystal-like structure on the forehead that imparts psychic ability, large horns, deadly by gaze and physical contact, with the breath either killing or disorienting, like some kind of anesthesia. Parts of the body were treasured for their magical properties in rituals.

There also appear to be several species, aquatic (leg-less), land-dwelling (small legs) and airborne (winged).

I am trying to determine what happened to these creatures, but it is difficult with the tons of crap now flooding search engines from television and video game references.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Mesmer

Post by LoneBear » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:19 am

This Muscogee reference, "seems to have a magnetic power over game" got me thinking of Franz Mesmer (May 23, 1734 – March 5, 1815), whom talked about "animal magnetism" and how it was used to control other creatures--the study of which is now known as Mesmerism. Given these creatures were apparently around in the 18th century--got to wonder if they were his inspiration.

sovert
Indagator
Indagator

Re: Horned Serpents

Post by sovert » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Doesn't pyschic ability imply consciousness/intelligence above animal levels?
Also what is the connection between the various serpenty monsters and a genetically engineered human ending virus?
While ENKI probably had a vast array of engineered critters, it seems odd to me that so many would survive undetected as seem to populate the fringe lore.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:54 am

sovert wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:42 pm
Doesn't pyschic ability imply consciousness/intelligence above animal levels?
Psi ability does, but Mesmerism is not a psionic skill. The headlights of a car are enough to mesmerize a deer (freeze in its tracks), and I don't think they are emitting the "light of consciousness." All that is really required is to create a condition where the brain has no pre-programmed "fight or flee" response, and the system locks up trying to figure out what to do.

The crystal on the creature's head may indeed have some kind of hypnotic effect, which is why gemstones with "brilliant cuts" are popular jewelry. Royalty wears them to hypnotize their subjects, women wear them to entice mates. I have not researched how it actually works.
sovert wrote:
Also what is the connection between the various serpenty monsters and a genetically engineered human ending virus?
Aside from dragons being notorious for using venoms, poison and deadly breath to protect treasure, I don't know. But the serpent has historically been use to represent the spiral structure of DNA.
sovert wrote:
While ENKI probably had a vast array of engineered critters, it seems odd to me that so many would survive undetected as seem to populate the fringe lore.
As mythology goes, most of these engineered creatures are not capable of reproduction, so when they die, that's all, folks.

The distortion of information surrounding these serpents is interesting... full of contradictions. The Greek describe them as a mere 12 inches in length, yet Native Americans have them able to swallow a person, whole. Common factors are the spot on the forehead, white spots on the body, a poisonous stench, and a "hiss" that can set things on fire (from where we get the fire-breathing dragon)--they have been known to set birds in flight on fire--a bit like spontaneous combustion.

There are other such oddities in Nature, such as pistol shrimp, which fire a bubble with their claw that can knock a fish unconscious. There are mechanisms available to do such a thing.

Now that I mention it, spontaneous combustion may be the mechanism of the dragon's breath, much like the intra-atomic heating that occurs with Brown's Gas (HHO) that can sublimate tungsten--and that gas is nothing but water in a different state. A quick check of the mythos shows that these creatures typically ignite herbs, plants and small animals--but rocks seem unaffected. Larger animals would not be set on fire, but could easily cause internal organ failure, dropping them dead on the spot.

It is interesting to speculate on what kind of mechanism does this, and why it exists in such a creature.

sovert
Indagator
Indagator

Post by sovert » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:54 am

LoneBear wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:54 am

Now that I mention it, spontaneous combustion may be the mechanism of the dragon's breath, much like the intra-atomic heating that occurs with Brown's Gas (HHO) that can sublimate tungsten--and that gas is nothing but water in a different state. A quick check of the mythos shows that these creatures typically ignite herbs, plants and small animals--but rocks seem unaffected. Larger animals would not be set on fire, but could easily cause internal organ failure, dropping them dead on the spot.

It is interesting to speculate on what kind of mechanism does this, and why it exists in such a creature.
That actually reminds me of a thought project of mine: How could you create super large creatures of dragon/dinosaur size that could exist in the current environment?
Any mainstream speculation quickly invokes the Square-Cube Law, and instantly shuts down conversation.

In RS2, you would need to have the creature be made at least partly of material that is inverse-gravitational. This would have a number of interesting consequences.
  • Cosmic material tends to be non-local from our spatial perspective. Any biological binding should cause the creature to have extremely high volume, but low mass.
  • Possibly mist-like
  • Having a balance of motion closer to unity at the molecular or atomic level would make it closer to the balance of photons
  • This might give it unusual optical effects
  • Also possibly the ability to become invisible similar to chameleons color changing
  • It also might be able to shift between space and time, allowing it to escape/hide

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:31 pm

sovert wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:54 am
That actually reminds me of a thought project of mine: How could you create super large creatures of dragon/dinosaur size that could exist in the current environment?
Any mainstream speculation quickly invokes the Square-Cube Law, and instantly shuts down conversation.
The Square-Cube law only applies to isometric scaling--which Nature obviously does not do, as an elephant is not a scaled-up mouse. Larger creatures have vastly different structure and composition than smaller ones. You can have increased size without the associated increase in mass by changing composition. This is done with breathing gas in scuba diving... as you go down, oxygen compresses and eventually, you cannot get enough to breathe. So they blend it with helium to thin it out. Internal structures could follow a similar system--padded out with a light element, resulting in larger volume but lower mass, less muscle, less bone, etc.

To use RS2 principles, life already exists in the intermediate speed range, since it has a cosmic component. If the soul "weighed" as much as the body, then you would be weightless, regardless of size. This is actually one of the siddhis of Indian gurus--the ability to walk through the sky at a fixed altitude. Indian (India indians) legends are full of tales of gods and creatures able to change their size from microscopic to gigantic--without cube-square law issues.

There are super-large creatures that were popular in the 1960s called "critters" -- miles in length that float in the atmosphere like giant whales.

As Larson said, "anything that can exist, does exist."

LesterFor
Gregralis
Gregralis

Post by LesterFor » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:28 am

It's kind of funny that something that big could be called 'a critter.' Kidding aside, this is all fascinating, to say the least.

tymeflyz
Discens
Discens

Post by tymeflyz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:01 pm

syn·chro·nic·i·ty/ˌsiNGkrəˈnisədē/
noun
1. the simultaneous occurrence of events that appear significantly related but have no discernible causal connection.

(A)
http://thomassheridanofficialblog.blogs ... erent.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v08-B4l9k0
(B)
Loch Ness Monster, Crowley, Boleskine, Walpurgis 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL2VdQk9toA

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:55 am

tymeflyz wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:01 pm
(B) Loch Ness Monster, Crowley, Boleskine, Walpurgis 2018
Interesting observation that the Loch Ness monster may be one of these serpents. The original reports I recall from my childhood described Nessie as a "sea serpent" moving through the water like a snake, with the exception that the motion was not side-to-side, but up-and-down.
nessie smiling.jpg
Nessie
These days, Nessie is considered a plesiosaur, a creature with a large body, fins and long giraffe-like neck. One of the things I have noticed over the years is how "public opinion" can substantially change original information. If you search the internet for pictures of the Loch Ness monster, you'll find everyone is doing the plesiosaur thing now--it has saturated the information system. The only serpent-like images I found were like the above--cartoonish depictions. Got to wonder if that was deliberate... make the truth look like laughable fiction.

Chris had pointed out the similarities to these horned serpents and the basilisk. Reports of the basilisk are all over history by some notable scholars, going back to the 1st century CE, and is included in books on etymology. The Medieval Bestiary has this to say:
General Attributes

The basilisk is usually described as a crested snake, and sometimes as a cock with a snake's tail. It is called the king (regulus) of the serpents because its Greek name basiliscus means "little king"; its odor is said to kill snakes. Fire coming from the basilisk's mouth kills birds, and its glance will kill a man. It can kill by hissing, which is why it is also called the sibilus. Like the scorpion it likes dry places; its bite causes the victim to become hydrophobic. A basilisk is hatched from a cock's egg, a rare occurence. Only the weasel can kill a basilisk.

Some manuscripts have separate entries and/or illustrations for the basilisk and the regulus, possibly because the basilisk account in Isidore has three sections, one each for the basilisk, the "kinglet" (reguli), and the sibilus. Where the regulus is treated separately, the bite of the basilisk causing hydrophobia is generally ascribed to the regulus.

Sources (chronological order)

Lucan [1st century CE] (Pharsalia, book 9, verse 849-853): "...there upreared / His regal head, and frighted from his track / With sibilant terror all the subject swam, / Baneful ere darts his poison, Basilisk / In sands deserted king". (verse 968-975): "What availed, / Murrus, the lance by which thou didst transfix / A Basilisk? Swift through the weapon ran / The poison to his hand: he draws his sword / And severs arm and shoulder at a blow: / Then gazed secure upon his severed hand / Which perished as he looked. So had'st thou died, / And such had been thy fate!"

Pliny the Elder [1st century CE] (Natural History, Book 8, 33): Anyone who sees the eyes of a basilisk serpent (basilisci serpentis) dies immediately. It is no more than twelve inches long, and has white markings on its head that look like a diadem. Unlike other snakes, which flee its hiss, it moves forward with its middle raised high. Its touch and even its breath scorch grass, kill bushes and burst rocks. Its poison is so deadly that once when a man on a horse speared a basilisk, the venom travelled up the spear and killed not only the man, but also the horse. A weasel can kill a basilisk; the serpent is thrown into a hole where a weasel lives, and the stench of the weasel kills the basilisk at the same time as the basilisk kills the weasel.

Isidore of Seville [7th century CE] (Etymologies, Book 12, 4:6-9): The basilisk is six inches in length and has white spots; it is the king (regulus) of snakes. All flee from it, for it can kill a man with its smell or even by merely looking at him. Birds flying within sight of the basilisk, no matter how far away they may be, are burned up. Yet the weasel can kill it; for this purpose people put weasels into the holes where the basilisk hides. They are like scorpions in that they follow dry ground and when they come to water they make men frenzied and hydrophobic. The basilisk is also called sibilus, the hissing snake, because it kills with a hiss.

Bartholomaeus Anglicus [13th century CE] (De proprietatibus rerum, book 18): The cockatrice hight Basiliscus in Greek, and Regulus in Latin; and hath that name Regulus of a little king, for he is king of serpents, and they be afraid, and flee when they see him. For he slayeth them with his smell and with his breath: and slayeth also anything that hath life with breath and with sight. In his sight no fowl nor bird passeth harmless, and though he be far from the fowl, yet it is burned and devoured by his mouth. But he is overcome of the weasel; and men bring the weasel to the cockatrice's den, where he lurketh and is hid. For the father and maker of everything left nothing without remedy. ... and the serpent that is bred in the province of Sirena; and hath a body in length and in breadth as the cockatrice, and a tail of twelve inches long, and hath a speck in his head as a precious stone, and feareth away all serpents with hissing. And he presseth not his body with much bowing, but his course of way is forthright, and goeth in mean. He drieth and burneth leaves and herbs, not only with touch but also by hissing and blast he rotteth and corrupteth all things about him. And he is of so great venom and perilous, that he slayeth and wasteth him that nigheth him by the length of a spear, without tarrying; and yet the weasel taketh and overcometh him, for the biting of the weasel is death to the cockatrice. And nevertheless the biting of the cockatrice is death to the weasel. And that is sooth, but if the weasel eat rue before. And though the cockatrice be venomous without remedy, while he is alive, yet he loseth all the malice when he is burnt to ashes. His ashes be accounted good and profitable in working of Alchemy, and namely in turning and changing of metals. (Mediaeval Lore from Bartholomew Anglicus (London, 1893/1905) Steele edition of 1905)
The original reports of the basilisk show a small serpent, 6-12" in length, but extremely deadly. But I have noticed that as the centuries rolled on, reports of these creatures indicate larger and larger sizes... by the time you reach the middle ages, these serpents could swallow a man.

One of the things I noticed in the Bartholomaeus Anglicus description was, "the serpent that is bred in the province of Sirena." One of the passions of Royalty is selective breeding. They have done it with horses, dogs,... heck, even their own blood lines. Bigger is better, so I'd bet that the basilisk was selectively bred for size and power and over the course of 1500 years, ended up being the European dragon.

These large dragons have the same properties as their tiny ancestors, namely the ability to transfix an enemy with their gaze, the diadem (crown), and the ability to "breathe fire." And, like you see in many films, they are usually controlled by an evil sorcerer--not Royalty--which means they possess some kind of psionic ability.

I also notice that the early reports do not say it "breathes fire," but simply that birds that come too close are burned up. Even man in the 1st century knew what fire was and could easily identify fire coming out of a creature's mouth--but this is never mentioned. Therefore, some other mechanism is being used to cause the spontaneous combustion of birds, perhaps their hiss had an ultrasonic component, like Gyaos, or perhaps something in the microwave region (the military use of microwave dishes during wars for communication were known to "fry birds in flight). Man would not combust, but would be killed--most likely by some kind of brain damage from such a wave source (a situation that also arose from the military use of microwaves).

The pattern that is emerging is that the land-based creatures started out small and were selectively bred for specific attributes, namely their size, destructive capability and psionic skill.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Sea Serpents

Post by LoneBear » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:04 pm

A horned serpent in the water is your classic sea serpent. There appear to be two varieties: fresh water and salt water. The classic image being:
ogopogo-model.jpg
Ogopogo / N'ha-a-itk (model)
Note that it has the same features--the diadem on the head (horns), spots (though dark instead of white), snakelike body, moving vertically rather than horizontally... the major difference being size, as these fresh water serpents average about 50 feet / 16m in length and the oceanic variety being on the larger side, up to 300 feet / 92 m in length. They have a reputation to, "twist around the ship, harm the sailors and attempt to sink it, especially when it is calm."

Of the fresh water serpents, Ogopogo (or N'ha-a-itk) is one of the best known in North America, along with "Champy" (Lake Champlain, New York).
ogopogo.jpg
Ogopogo / N'ha-a-itk (photo, 1926)
There appear to be two subspecies, described by Sebastian Münster in 1598: "These are two gruesome beasts and monsters, one with cruel teeth, the other with cruel horns and a frighteningly fiery face. Its eyes are sixteen or twenty feet in circumference. Its head is square and has a big beard [baleen?]. But the hind part of is body is small."

Münster's book, Cosmographia, has a woodcut describing the monsters of land and sea in the "boreal" regions earlier in history. "Boreal" refers to the northern regions, now translated as Scandinavia and northern Russia, but in the 1500s the Earth had not expanded yet (see the old maps) and the "northern regions" were the circumpolar Bargos Islands. From a 2-page woodcut in his book, these are some of the creatures of that northern region, also documented by Vikings:
BorealCreatures.jpg
Creatures of the Bargos Islands
Translation of lettered monsters on diagram, from Tom Lytle: Sea Serpents, done by Klaus Barthlemess, Cologne, Germany:
  1. Whale fish as big as mountains are seen around Iceland. If they are not scared away with trumpet calls or jettisoned barrels, with which they gamboll, they turn your ships over. It also happens that seamen assume to approach an island, in fact a whale, cast anchor, and are in a pretty pickle then. Such whales they call troll whales, i.e. devil whales. In Iceland people build their houses with the bones and fishbones of such big whales.
  2. This is a rude ilk of great monster called Pristis or Physeter, mentioned by Solinus and Pliny. It rears up its head, spouts water into the ships and thus sinks and drowns them.
  3. In the ocean one finds sea snakes, 200 and 300 feet long. They twist around the ship, harm the sailors, and attempt to sink it, especially when it is calm.
  4. These are two gruesome beasts and monsters, one with cruel teeth, the other with cruel horns and a frighteningly fiery face. Its eyes are sixteen or twenty feet in circumference. Its head is square and has a big beard [baleen?]. But the hind part of is body is small.
  5. This beast may not be filled. In Swedish it is called Jerf, and in German Vielfraß, in Latin Gulo [wolverine]. When its belly is very full, so that no more goes in, it looks for two trees standing close to each other, pulls its belly through between them, so that it has to defecate, thus emptying its belly, and then can eat more. If hunters catch one, they shoot it on account of its spotted fur, which is nicely patterned like a damascene cloth. The nature of people wearing this fur is often changed into this beast’s nature.
  6. On reindeer
  7. On sable, martens, bears & other animals in the woods
  8. This beast is called Ziphius and is a scary sea monster. It devours the black seals.
  9. (missing)
  10. Duckbirds, commonly called tree birds, grow on trees, as described 400 years ago.
  11. This sea monster looks like a pig and was observed in 1537.
  12. This is a whale fish, too, and is called Orca by many, but the Norwegian call it springhval on account of its swift movements.
  13. Monstrous lobsters
  14. A gruesome beast, partly resembling a rhinoceros. Pointed at the nose and the back, eats large crabs called lobsters, is twelve feet long.
The center of the Bargos Islands included a passageway to the inner Earth and its oceans. Perhaps these creatures have their home there, venturing out--but staying near--the warmer waters of the Bargos Islands and causing a bit of havoc on the seafarers of those days. Most of the sea monster tales originate in the North Sea (reason for this was being the "most traveled"), so this may be an alternate explanation. When the Bargos Islands shifted south and became Greenland after the expansion event, these monsters may have been stuck here... those that survive probably followed the warm, Gulf currents in the Atlantic to warmer waters, giving rise to the sea serpent tales of Spanish explorers.

Now if they originate from the inner Earth (Hell, Hades...), some of their attributes may make sense--the fiery personality, the stench of sulfur... and it was well known in ancient days that there were many entrances to these regions, both on the surface and particularly under "finger lakes," the lakes formed between mountain ranges. Some of these passages may still exist... which reminds me of that locked door in the Padmanabhaswamy Temple of India:

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

The Original Sea Serpent

Post by LoneBear » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:10 pm

This is the earliest recorded "sea serpent," from the book, Historia de Gentibus Septentrionalibus (1555 CE), the beast described by Munster in 1580:
S_Munster1580.gif
Soe Orm (Lake Snake)
S_Munster1580.gif (53.26 KiB) Viewed 194 times
http://www.tomlytle.com/SeaSerpents.htm wrote:Those who sail up along the coast of Norway to trade or to fish, all tell the remarkable story of how a serpent of fearsome size, 200 feet long and 20 feet wide, resides in rifts and caves outside Bergen. On bright summer nights this serpent leaves the caves to eat calves, lambs and pigs, or it fares out to the sea and feeds on sea nettles, crabs and similar marine animals. It has ell-long [forty-five inch long] hair hanging from its neck, sharp black scales and flaming red eyes. It attacks vessels, grabs and swallows people, as it lifts itself up like a column from the water.
I cannot help but notice the similarity to the New World Order serpent eating a man:

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Sea Serpents--Mammals?

Post by LoneBear » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Lytle makes a good point here, concerning the vertical swimming undulation as being a mammalian characteristic. Also, they are often described as having long "mane" hair, like a horse.
Other witnesses confirmed the description and added, “… its motions were in undulations, and so strong that white foam appeared before it, and at the side, which stretched out several fathoms.” If a wake of white foam appeared before it, the monster must have been of a great size and capable of great swimming speed. The interesting feature is the undulations; only mammals swim with vertical motion, undulations, while reptiles, or serpents, swim with a sideways motion. Also, most reports of sea serpents report that the creature swims with his head and neck sticking up from the water; snakes and eels cannot swim this way. Mammals, who must breathe air, swim with their heads or nostrils above the water.
I just noticed, while translating some old texts, that in medieval Latin there are three, distinct words describing serpents:
  1. draconem: German firedrake, meaning a "huge serpent." Most references in the European texts refer to dragons as semi-aquatic--the giant "sea serpents," hundreds of feet in length with a diameter the size of a barrel. They seem to travel easily in water, but are more amphibious. (Note that the ANNUNAKI were considered to be an "hideous, amphibious dragon," by those that saw those gods.)
  2. serpens: the horned serpents that are deadly (and probably bred as land dragons). Turns out that India also has references to these, the Poubi Lai Paphal, which appear to be what is on the temple door of Vault B at Padmanabhaswamy.
  3. anguis: the common snakes we now have.
The words aren't interchangeable; a serpent is not a snake, nor is a dragon a serpent. The usage is distinctly different.

Here is what Poubi Lai Paphal looks like--the serpent. Deer-like horns and mammal ears...

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Jonah and the Whale? Nope: Sea Serpent!

Post by LoneBear » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:10 pm

I was taught by the Catholics that the story of Jonah had him swallowed by a whale, but it turns out that is not the case... Jonah showed up in my sea serpent research. Turns out "whale" was a modern mistranslation, the original meant "big fish." Yet, when we go to the Romans for a depiction of this event, circa 3AD...
Jonah-3rd century.png
Jonah and the Sea Serpent
All the imagery and carvings show a large, snake-like sea serpent devouring Jonah!
Jonah2.jpg
Jonah and the Sea Monster on a sarcophagus
Later imagery shows a "big fish," but the Roman depictions, during the time of Christ (and Christ referenced the story) all show a sea serpent.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:06 pm

Ilkka wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:00 am
There seems to be big red sea serpent coiling one ship. In this picture "Kinahmi" whirlpool is in the coast of Norway.
I just finished reading Henry Lee's 1883 book, Sea Monsters Unmasked, where he delves into the mystery of the kraken and sea serpents. His conclusion is that all these monsters are just giant squid. A deeper analysis into the references he uses only partially supports this.
  1. Kraken: see daniel's post on it. The "common" kraken that appear in books and films fits the octopod description, but not the original reports--by a long shot. IMHO, the kraken may be a giant crab, similar to the Japanese spider crab (I recall a report from childhood showing one on a News report that had legs 22 feet long, and was 50 feet across, so they do get big--though not any more, as they have been seriously overfished to the point of being an endangered species. The common species lives decades (40+ years), so a mega-deep-sea one could live for centuries.
  2. Sea Serpent #1: the "horse head" with a mane... I agree with Lee's conclusions that these are giant squid, swimming backwards so that their tail is pushed into the air, above surface. It make sense because it is now known that the squid propels itself via a constant jet of water, not a pulse. The jet is underneath, so it would tend to lift the tail up and out. The tailpiece looks like a horse head and the fins would hang to the side, with striations that look like wet hair. The serpentine undulation that follows would be the tentacles bobbing vertically in the wake (together, not outstretched). When they attack a boat, they use the tentacles to grab seamen off the deck--but then, the tail section is beneath the water. Squid also have very large eyes, also described in these encounters. So, if it looks like a horse and has a main--just a squid swimming backward (though a very large squid).
    Horse-headed-serpent.jpg
    As sea monster
    squid-on-surface.jpg
    As squid
  3. Sea Serpent #2: the water snake... big difference here is that the head has a mouth full of sharp teeth and a reputation to attack sailing vessels when threatened. It also moves in a vertical, serpentine fashion. Lee tries to write this off as a squid, as well, but since one was a actually caught on January 13, 1851, by Captain Jason Seabury of the whaleship Monongahela... it is no squid!
Unfortunately, the Monongahela was lost before it made port with its catch, but Seabury's description of the sea monster, which had been dragged aboard and dissected, was relayed by another captain (there were three whaleships in pursuit) to a newspaper:
Tom Lytle wrote:It was now quite calm and we could work to good advantage. As I am preparing a minute description of the serpent, I will merely give you a few general points. It was a male; the length 103 feet 7 inches; 19 feet 1 inch around the neck; 24 feet 6 inches around the shoulders; and the largest part of the body, which appeared somewhat distended, 49 feet 4 inches. The head was long [approximately ten feet] and flat, with ridges; the bones of the lower jaw are separate; the tongue had its end like the head of a heart. The tail ran nearly to a point, on the end of which was a flat firm cartilage. The back was black, turning brown on the sides; then yellow, and on the centre of the belly a narrow white streak two-thirds of its length; there were also scattered over the body dark spots. On examining the skin we found, to our surprise, that the body was covered with blubber, like that of a whale, but it was only four inches thick.

(Captain Seabury decided to cut the scant blubber from the monster as he would a whale, and to boil the blubber down into oil in the trypots.)

The oil was clear as water, and burnt nearly as fast as spirits of turpentine. We cut the snake up, but found great difficulty, and had to 'flense' him, the body would not roll, and the blubber was so very elastic, that when stretched 20 feet by the blocks, it would, when cut off, shrink to 5 or 6 feet. We took in the head, a frightful object, and are endeavouring to preserve it with salt. We have saved all the bones, which the men are not done cleaning yet. In cutting open the serpent we found pieces of squid and a large blackfish, the flesh of which dropped from the bones. One of the serpent's lungs was three feet longer than the other [possibly due to the lancing]. I should have observed that there were 94 teeth in the jaws, very sharp, all pointing backward and as large as one's thumb at the gum, but deeply and firmly set. We found it had two spout holes or spiracles, so it must breathe like a whale; it also had four swimming paws, or imitations of paws, for they were like hard, loose flesh. The joints of the back were loose, and it seemed as if, when it was swimming that it moved two ribs and a joint at a time, almost like feet. The muscular movement of the serpent after it was dead made the body look as if it were encircled by longitudinal ridges. We were nearly three days in getting the bones in, but they are now nearly clean, and are very porous and dark colored.
This description is fairly close to our old friend, Nessie, assumed to be a plesiosaur, but with some genetic adaptations for ocean life... namely the lack of a very long neck, the "shoulders" being the main body, a much longer tail section and the reduction in the size of the "swimming paws," as compared to skeletal remains of the plesiosaur, giving it a more snake-like appearance (with a gorged stomach).

Compare the old drawing:
Hans_Egede_1734_sea_serpent.jpg
Sea serpent (1734)
to the plesiosaur skeleton:
Paleo_Hall_at_HMNS_plesiosaur.jpg
Plesiosaur skeleton
My conclusion regarding sea serpents is that they are a real phenomena, a descendant of the plesiosauria that adapted to changing conditions, but are not the "horned serpents" or "dragons" that are found on land. But, some of these serpents may well indeed be found in water, like snakes, just probably not the ocean.