Analysis of Music

Forum for the sharing and discussion of various research projects going on.
LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Analysis of Music

Post by LoneBear » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:20 am

My latest updates to RS2 include a lot with harmonics and other concepts typically ascribed to music, I have been delving into some of the concepts that define music. Curiously, just like my exploration of science, a lot of them are either backwards or wrong (disinformation), particularly concepts introduced over the last 50 years or so.

In order to understand what is now classified as "music" (still "noise" to me), I was looking for an analysis on what had changed since my youth, where people tended to be raised on the classics of the centuries before--and talent actually mattered.

Found a video that does an excellent job of this analysis...

And I agree with everything presented--and it make senses. In our merchant-run society, it always comes down to maximizing profit--where they are now brainwashing clients into thinking something is good, when it is actually awful. Far more "bang for the buck."

After watching this, particularly the "millennial whoop" comments, I started to wonder what these commonly used sequences do to the function of the mind and soul... and that can get a bit unsettling. (More on that later, after I have taken in more data to analyze.)

Watch this video... I'd like to know if the younger folks here comprehend what he says in the same manner that I do, given our radically different musical backgrounds.
Keeper of the Troth of Ásgarðr, Moriar prius quam dedecorer.

Lozion
Cellarius
Cellarius

Re: Analysis of Music

Post by Lozion » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:39 am

Being an audio engineer for 20+ years (so not exactly a millenial :shock: )
I can say the video commenter is spot on. The dumbing down of music production started about the same time the corporations took over the major labels when they figured it was profitable for them and margins became the only deciding factor. One element though that hasnt been touched upon is the "dark energy ritual" aspect of modern pop music. The symbolism, lyrics, imagery used by the "PTB" is all too reminiscent of the Mystery Schools of elder days. The Vigilant Citizen website is known to cover this angle although it doesnt get into the deeper reasons why "Illuminati" type symbolism has become so popular. I'll let LB expand on this..
In rapport we thrive, in rivalry we strive.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:18 pm

I dont listen to those pop songs that are mentioned in the video, but was a bit surprised about the writers (only 2 people) of most of those songs from countless of "artists". I think that the creators of those hit songs are the real artists. I think that people still listen to the lyrics in some songs so that counts to the above mentioned. At my workplace today there is this one guy who likes some rap and pop music, I guess more rap where they just talk really fast and get few words here and there which is about violence mostly. That is just plain crap and quite annoying and I really liked when that guy took his phone hooked from the speakers and went to breaks, ahh the sweet silence of several minutes, then after that all the same goddamn 10 (maybe more or less) "songs" start all over again. Tomorrow if that same continues I might go and unhook his phone myself or just change it to radio from aux. I'd rather listen to some other noise than all the fast talking nonsense with some stupid drumbeat.

I too like some classic music maybe not every piece, but alot of them. Then there is this recent music I listen is somewhat electronic with perhaps some real instruments used in sampled in the whole. Lately have been listening to "Dance attack fm" internet radio, there are some good fast tempo music in there and also bad ones especially anything "dubstep" or related to that sort of genre, just horrible.

Check this guy, whos more recent videos about his new incoming MMX, I have been watching. I like this song though and he has other homemade instruments in other songs as well. Seems to be one of the "real artists" out there, even though the music is partly electronic as he does something to the drums (there is one video where he tells about it).
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:17 pm

LoneBear wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:20 am
In our merchant-run society, it always comes down to maximizing profit--where they are now brainwashing clients into thinking something is good, when it is actually awful. Far more "bang for the buck."
This same situation that has happened with music has also happened with scientific research... using tools like Wikipedia and RationalWiki, corporations are brainwashing people into thinking that a scientific principle is valid, when it actually just gobbledygook--but that gobbledygook rakes in billions of dollars in profit for pennies and it is just too expensive to actually do the real work.

This seems to have developed into a model for society, in general. "Health care" is the same way, you are brainwashed into thinking drugs and surgery can solve all your problems, nutrition is the same way--artificial everything is just fine for your health, education, sports, ... virtually every major aspect I have looked at in our social system.

It is no wonder that there are so many people thinking the Earth is flat and we're living in a simulation... we are. As Lloyd Pye said, "everything you know is wrong."

What has come of my analysis so far, can be summarized thus: technology is NOT the solution to humanity's problems, but the diagnosis of them.

Modern "music" is defining the problem that needs to be cured. A very deep problem in the collective unconscious. Unfortunately, in a victim-based society, no one even wants to look for a cure.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Lozion wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:39 am
The Vigilant Citizen website is known to cover this angle although it doesnt get into the deeper reasons why "Illuminati" type symbolism has become so popular. I'll let LB expand on this..
Simple... the best place to hide a tree, is in a forest.

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Gopi » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:39 am

LoneBear wrote:Found a video that does an excellent job of this analysis...
It definitely shows why there is a need to make better videos on these themes. To explain...

Good point about Max Martin and Luke, but I noticed that he started with the Beatles as his positive example, which was ironically exactly what kick-started this whole merger of Industry and Music. It was destined to degrade after that, in the same way a plant left in the dark will deteriorate. The moment we started buying records instead of listening to live performances without all sorts of tech amplifications, the brainwashing was already successful. Time wise, it would be just after world war 2 that the whole thing started crashing and burning. It only hasn't been noticed till the Justin Bieber era.

Another common theme with these type of videos is that they love to use the phrase "research has shown..." and when you combine that with:
LoneBear wrote:This same situation that has happened with music has also happened with scientific research... using tools like Wikipedia and RationalWiki, corporations are brainwashing people into thinking that a scientific principle is valid, when it actually just gobbledygook
Well, you get one fake supporting another fake. Also, interestingly, a new video is churned out every couple of weeks! Big money is behind this. Where there is big money, there is an agenda. And the agenda is easy to see in another of his videos:

It is about ... you guessed it ... why those who "believe" (a word thrown around a lot) in conspiracy theories are mentally disabled in one way or another.

Also, if you scroll down to the list of videos, you will notice something: each video's picture is something that is directed to your emotions. For example, this video on music has the picture of Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus in scanty clothes before you hit on play, which subliminally means "click on this sexy video". Each video's front image is carefully crafted that way.

It is eye-opening... it speaks about brainwashing while brainwashing you, and speaks about money power while using that same power for the videos. Audacious!
It is time.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Gopi wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:39 am
For example, this video on music has the picture of Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus in scanty clothes before you hit on play, which subliminally means "click on this sexy video". Each video's front image is carefully crafted that way.

It is eye-opening... it speaks about brainwashing while brainwashing you, and speaks about money power while using that same power for the videos. Audacious!
It is called "click bait" in youtube. Many youtubers do that thing to lure people into watching their videos, there is also the text that can also be clickbait I think, but mainly the picture is click bait. It is marketing thing for them to use. If he would've presented the same video with his face in it, it would've not gotten so many views I think, because of too boring front image. Much like doing a job application more presentable so you would get the job with extra something to spice up the thing and not looking boring like the most of them was.

I see your point of view too. It has always been so that "Sex sells" true to the internet also, thats one reason for them to make such front images. Some have more provocative images than others in their videos.

I just watch them because of their content not by their front images though. First I like to read what it is all about from the title of the video.
Enjoy the Silence

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Ilkka wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:30 pm
It is called "click bait" in youtube. Many youtubers do that thing to lure people into watching their videos, there is also the text that can also be clickbait I think, but mainly the picture is click bait. It is marketing thing for them to use. If he would've presented the same video with his face in it, it would've not gotten so many views I think, because of too boring front image. Much like doing a job application more presentable so you would get the job with extra something to spice up the thing and not looking boring like the most of them was.
Actually, in another video he identifies the course he took in how to make videos--and make them popular. Came up as part of my research on how to present the Reciprocal System in a video environment, since technical papers and slideshows don't cut it these days. I might take the course, just to learn what is going on.

But I still can't figure out how to make Dewey Larson sexy... :D

I've watched a number of Thoughty2's videos (while doing other work on the computer), checked the "likes" and comments to see what popular videos play against in the average psyche of the Y and Z generations. He usually starts out with a bang that will cause an emotional reaction, then go into a reasonable analysis, then then concludes with an ego-boosting dopamine rush for the predicted audience. For example, he was discussing the generational divide in one of them and did a fairly good job with it--until the end, where he blamed all the addictive problems of the Y/Z generations on their ancestors... that's a "feel good" for the Y/Z generation viewers, because it keeps then from accepting responsibility for their choices. But blaming the Baby Boomers because they are forced to use technology? Tad ridiculous... it's not like we implanted smartphones in your skull at birth--that will be the Millennials job! Like tobacco, alcohol and other addictive substances--it was, and still is, the choice of the addict to remain addicted.

Interesting how it goes back to Tulan's idea of the "digital detox"... it is about what is needed these days.

I also note that addiction has compounded over the generations. Smoking did not become an addiction until the GI generation (World Wars), where cigarettes were used as a commodity in the military. Then alcohol with the Silent generation, along with the mafias and prohibition. The baby boomers brought in the soft drugs like marijuana, and the Gen X the hard drugs, followed by the Millennials with the digital dopamine. The iGeneration is now stuck with all of the above.

What is going to be interesting is that the Millennials are now producing the next generation (on the average, a generation is about 18 years, with Gen Z starting with Y2K). Don't know what to call them, perhaps Generation AA, since we went past Z. But they should rebel against their parents (Millennials) and grandparents (Gen X), which means they will most likely rebel against technology. And Ray Kurzweil was counting on them to usher in the Singularity.

Ilkka
Praefectus
Praefectus

Post by Ilkka » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:26 am

LoneBear wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:21 pm
But I still can't figure out how to make Dewey Larson sexy... :D
Oh, there are ways to do that with photoshop or similar program. Just add a little bit of lip gloss, fix the hair and clothes, enlarge the eyes like in anime etc. Kawaii!! :D
Enjoy the Silence