wisdom/love - vs?

Forum for the sharing and discussion of various research projects going on.
Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

wisdom/love - vs?

Post by Alluvion » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:54 am

so here's that old saying "give a man a fish you feed him for a day. teach him to fish you feed him for life". which is definately a phrase used to connote that wisdom is better than love, if wisdom is the fucntion of sharing knowledge and insight about something and love being the sharing of that which is refreshing and immediately sustaining.

So why the opposition? Following the analogy, i'll use two personal symbols - for wisdom a book and for love a cup. If I meet a stranger in the desert and I have both on me at all time - a book filled with the light of knowledge and the love of insight, and a cup filled with the nourishment of love and medium of light what do you give first?

-a

BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio

Re:

Post by BlueEagle » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:59 pm

so here's that old saying "give a man a fish you feed him for a day. teach him to fish you feed him for life". which is definately a phrase used to connote that wisdom is better than love, if wisdom is the fucntion of sharing knowledge and insight about something and love being the sharing of that which is refreshing and immediately sustaining.
But love is not nessesarily the sharing of "that which is immediately sustaining." It can be and usually is. But in this situation, which is better? To give a fish to a hungry man, or to teach him how to fish. Both are love. You are right in that one is love in a very immediate way, but the other is love as well. I will stay with the hungry man and help him to catch a fish. I will even give him a fish is he is a very slow learner. But I will not continue to catch fish for him for the rest of his life. That would hurt him as much as it will myself. He will not learn by me giving him fish. And if we are going on the concept of "immediate sustainment," I will be catching fish for him for the rest of his life, because if I leave, he will go hungry again.
So why the opposition? Following the analogy, i'll use two personal symbols - for wisdom a book and for love a cup. If I meet a stranger in the desert and I have both on me at all time - a book filled with the light of knowledge and the love of insight, and a cup filled with the nourishment of love and medium of light what do you give first?
Give him a drink from your cup, and then set about finding a water hole or digging one. That way, he won't die while the both of you are finding more water.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: wisdom/love - vs?

Post by LoneBear » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:29 am

WarmSylph wrote:so here's that old saying "give a man a fish you feed him for a day. teach him to fish you feed him for life". which is definately a phrase used to connote that wisdom is better than love, if wisdom is the fucntion of sharing knowledge and insight about something and love being the sharing of that which is refreshing and immediately sustaining.
Teaching is NOT "wisdom". Wisdom, the ability to easily discern truth over illusion, cannot be taught, only experienced... and only experienced AFTER the lessons of fear, power and knowledge have been learned.

And you are confusing "love" with charity (or dole). They are not the same thing.

The saying has nothing to do with the dichotomy of love and light. It is a statement of 2nd density group mind (give a man a fish, and keep him dependent upon the herd), or 3rd density individuation (teach a man to fish, and he becomes self-sufficient).
WarmSylph wrote:i'll use two personal symbols - for wisdom a book and for love a cup. If I meet a stranger in the desert and I have both on me at all time - a book filled with the light of knowledge and the love of insight, and a cup filled with the nourishment of love and medium of light what do you give first?
Neither. Light and love, in any form, can only be OFFERED, not "given." In the Density of Choice, it would be their choice as to which one to accept.

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:53 pm

interesting replies. I am going to mull.
_a

BlueEagle
Centurio
Centurio

Re:

Post by BlueEagle » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:28 am

And you are confusing "love" with charity (or dole). They are not the same thing.
Neither. Light and love, in any form, can only be OFFERED, not "given." In the Density of Choice, it would be their choice as to which one to accept.
I see my mistakes.

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:19 am

after mulling,
i guess I am trying to work through a personal allegory to understand how i function in terms of wisdom/love and service.
Still mulling.

-a