Earth Maiden Arjuna

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
animus
Centurio
Centurio

Earth Maiden Arjuna

Post by animus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:47 pm

A few years ago when I started to "break out" and opened up to the spiritual side of life I watched an anime called Arjuna. I felt like watching it again, yesterday. I remember resonating to it the first time I've seen it, but now with my new view on nature I could understand much more of what was related and depicted in the anime.

It is about girl, Juna Ariyoshi, who dies in an accident but is brought back to life as "the avatar of time". The only condition is that she must save the planet by stopping the demons, the Raaja, who are wreaking havoc on the cities. By Chris, her later guide, she is given a "drop of time" (a Magatama - a stone resembling the golden ratio or half of the Taijitu) which puts her more in synch with nature/her soul half and lets her experience life on Earth with a new set of senses which enable her to see and realize some of the social and ecological problems in a modern society. The anime does a good job of depicting the ignorant mass of humanity who clearly has lost all connection to nature and doesn't feel a thing.

There are only 13 episodes and it was aired in 2001. I couldn't find an English dubbed version on youtube with all 13 episodes but here is the playlist of a subbed one (which I always prefer):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3wCj-B ... kIyjgDjIx5
Watch out for the epilogues after the closing credits in some of the episodes!

There is a correlation to an Hindu epic. I'm not really familiar with Hinduism and haven't looked into it yet, so I'm just quoting Wikipedia here:
As is clear from the title, Arjuna, the series is highly influenced by Hinduism, as well as Indian culture in general.[1] The story was inspired by the Bhagavad Gita, most notably in the character of Chris, who is modeled after Krishna.[2] Note that the series is set in a pantheistic vision in which it emphasizes the connection between all elements of the Earth. In episode two, Chris's chakras are shown on the monitor screen which are also adapted from the Hindu concept of 7 chakras inside the human body. The antagonistic "Raaja" (while mispronounced in the anime) refer to "Roga" the 'disease' caused by the wound on earth itself. Arjuna's bow, "Gandiva," is the real name of bow used in Mahabharata by Arjun and her mechanical guardian "Ashura" is based on the "Asura" powerful lords in Rgveda.