New Movie Based on Norse Mythology

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

New Movie Based on Norse Mythology

Post by Arcelius » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:22 am

I thought this was interesting since it is being produced in Iceland and I haven't noticed many movies showing Norse Mythological motifs in movies. It is based on the new book "Thor - The Wrath of Hel" which was published in Iceland and seems to have received some positive reviews. A link to the site: http://www.thorthemovie.net/ where a trailer of the movie is also available.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: New Movie Based on Norse Mythology

Post by LoneBear » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:42 am

Unfortunately, the trailer looks pretty stupid. Par for the course these days with films, I guess. Lots of "quotable" one-line zingers, and not much plot.

However, one of my favorite old Norse mythos films is Disney's Island at the Top of the World.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:34 pm

LoneBear wrote:Unfortunately, the trailer looks pretty stupid. Par for the course these days with films, I guess. Lots of "quotable" one-line zingers, and not much plot.
Films are made to be profitable and so must appeal to a larger audience. I don't imagine it could be much worse that something like Disney's Hercules for accuracy and plot. As far as I can tell, no one has been making any films related to Norse mythology recently. Perhaps if this generates enough interest, more serious films may be made. Time will tell.
Lonebear wrote:However, one of my favorite old Norse mythos films is Disney's Island at the Top of the World.
Thanks for mentioning this! I'll see if I can find it around here and watch it.

lvx08
Centurio
Centurio

Post by lvx08 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:43 am

LoneBear wrote:Unfortunately, the trailer looks pretty stupid. Par for the course these days with films, I guess. Lots of "quotable" one-line zingers, and not much plot.
I watched a movie the other day called "Man from earth", about a man who is 14,000 years old. I thought this might be a film about an Ancient, but turned out to be a teleplay about how a group of people react to the idea that John Oldman, might be 14,000 years old. Mildly interesting, but not nearly as interesting as what it could have been.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:51 pm

lvx08 wrote:...John Oldman, might be 14,000 years old.
He wasn't played by Tim Conway, was he? The original "old man"!

lvx08
Centurio
Centurio

Post by lvx08 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:32 pm

LoneBear wrote:
lvx08 wrote:...John Oldman, might be 14,000 years old.
He wasn't played by Tim Conway, was he? The original "old man"!
no David Lee Smith, who looks about 40.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:28 pm

I was able to watch the Island at the Top of the World recently. I am surprised that the Disney Corporation produces. It's quite a good movie and I enjoyed it. I am just a little disappointed that they didn't make a sequel for it.

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Arcelius » Fri May 10, 2013 5:53 pm

I managed to find Thor: Legends of Valhalla and watched it. It seems about on par with Disney's Hercules movie. There were elements from the mythology in the movie but those elements were very mixed up. It's probably not worth watching and I've decided it's not worth detailing all of the mythological inaccuracies in it either. There are far too many.