Symbol Sets

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Symbol Sets

Post by Alluvion » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:44 pm

Currently beginning to see the need for my own symbol set and approaching that from a very naive position. As commented on in other threads, I've realized a long standing affinity between the imagery of the Wizard of Oz and my unconscious (mostly in the form of dreams). What seems to be lacking, especially when compared to the symbol sets of others here, are certain themes which engender an attention towards Kheb, or even simply accessing the archive.

For example: 'Star Trek' is an apt symbol-set (narrative world) because it contains a large scale theme (exploration) with a self contained and complex intelligent locality (a vessel, the USS Enterprise, containing intelligences of many biases as many scales so equates symbolically with the individual). The self has a 'mission' which carries along the internal sub-intelligences noted by the cast and crew, each with a particular functional bias as show by specific duties on board, position in rank and nuanced (maybe in a non-useful symbolic fashion) by character personality (perhaps to individuated as a sub-intelligent system?).

This symbol-set is an internal projection of the incarnational world, upon which layers and layers of unexamined but fundamental projections are located. This provides the unconscious and mysterious realms of ones conscious with a fully operational analogue to communicate to the ego/personality through dreams, the imagination (which is a willingly entered ante-chamber)and sometimes in 'visions' or scrying. It is important that the symbol set be a fully self contained world so that experiences in the world can be 'dressed' in this symbolic flesh so messages can be transmitted from the conscious mind towards the unconscious, and establishes a route back towards the personality.

Personally I am finding it hard to 'discover' my own symbol set - Babylon 5, Stargate, Star Trek seem to be the least distorted expressions of a communicative symbol-set used by others here. I could mention the X-men world also (I am not terribly familiar with all kinds of comic/graphic novel worlds) specifically because of Professor X's 'Cerebro' which is like the Stargate, or the mobility of the USS Enterprise, or the Outpost like nature of the Babylon 5 station in that it is a technology which links an individual consciousness with and infinite potential AND involves some intelligent interfacing.

While the images of the Wizard of Oz certainly make sense in that I have a deep longing for my 'true home', I believe those images are tied to that unexplored/misunderstood desire, and not to exploratory work. If you are interested, please share your thoughts on the architecture of this symbol-set idea in any fashion you deem fit.

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Re: Symbol Sets

Post by Alluvion » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:26 pm

Another method I am working on is to develop a specific symbol for each level of the v-memes, based on what I understand about them at this time. I can then 'query' my reactions/posturing in regards to varying areas of my life and see what responses I get. This is in order to intentionally understand the 'stage' of that particular dimension of myself in regards to the vMemes.

Antiquatis vMeme Information

I don't believe most of us move as a whole yet, in terms of increasing intelligence, through the vMemes - very few do that, obviously. But in relation to the LoO information about there needing to be some minimal balancing of the chakras, particularly the foundational rays, this is similar work. If anyone else is interested in contributing/reviewing, please do!

Below are some felt-out, spontaneous symbols I associate with the varying vMeme levels:

3.1 - Saber-Tooth Tiger (genderless, yang acting)
3.2 - Spirit Dancer (male)
3.3 - Roman Charioteer
3.4 - Papal King
3.5 - CEO (specifically, my old boss (male))
3.6 - Hippie-activist (female)
3.7 - Playwright (male image, only somewhat spontaneous)
4.1 -

The last I don't have a symbol for yet. Curiously, these symbols all became figures with other motifs layered in, specific scenes with certain feelings (such as 3.7 - engendered a very strong feeling/memory and generated images which have nothing to do with a straight-forward playwright, but suggest that the thematic figure bears enough association to that feeling/knowing to be appropriate, at least for now).

I would be curious as to the symbols of others. Ideally, I will create a matrix in which the vMemes and the dimensions of self provide a way to visualize the field of self and which dimensions are operating at which memes. Reference the 'Onion' Diagram' which is not *measured*.

Gopi
Atriensis
Atriensis

Post by Gopi » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:15 pm

Alluvion wrote:If you are interested, please share your thoughts on the architecture of this symbol-set idea in any fashion you deem fit.
Also, what would be very useful would be to find out which set of archetypes are the best for you... and I mean something like Norse, or native American, or Eastern European. This is because the deeper symbols carry far more "libido" (for the lack of a better word) and when connected to the day to day symbols, you can actually start seeing them in daily life via synchronicity.

In my experience, I have found that the underlying mythos is a good foundation for the structure you want to build... going bottom up might help.
It is time.

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi gopi! Thanks for that idea.
The only problem is I haven't found a large-scale mythology that really 'feels' right in enough places. I keep looking but I am getting impatient, which is my own issue ; )
I'll work on combining the two. Thanks!

Amhlaibh
Centurio
Centurio

Post by Amhlaibh » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:15 pm

Hey buddy, would you be able to enlighten me on Proto-Semitic Symbols?

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:26 pm

Alluvion wrote:The only problem is I haven't found a large-scale mythology that really 'feels' right in enough places. I keep looking but I am getting impatient, which is my own issue ; )
I'll work on combining the two. Thanks!
It is usually ancestral mythos that plays on the unconscious (whether you like it or not!) Find your roots and you'll find your mythological symbols.

There are 5 levels of symbolism:
  1. Personal unconscious
  2. Familial (your immediate family)
  3. Cultural (your belief system, passed on through culture)
  4. Societal (socially-imposed value symbols)
  5. Species (what comes with being human)
Science fiction hits hard on the latter three levels, providing alternate cultures as races of aliens with foreign values, a wider society that is usually more tolerant (Federations or Confederations), and is quite good at pointing out what "human" values really are, and how they cannot be imposed on non-human systems without some serious consequences.

Excuse me while I go feed my gloppit.

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Sat May 02, 2009 11:35 am

Currently working on a three dimensional matrix to map out basic symbolism:

8 levels of the vMemes x 5 levels of symbolism x n(narrative sources)

In working on this i've renamed some of the vMemes:
(please comment as desired)

3.1 Archaic-Instinctual
3.2 Magical-Animistic
3.3 Power Gods/Heroes
3.4 Mythic Orders
3.5 Scientific Achiever
3.6 Sensitive Activist
3.7 Systemic Agent
3.8 Enlightened Agent

I've also renamed some of the symbolic levels as a result:
(please comment as desired)

Archetypal (Species)
Ancestral (Racial)
Cultural/Historical
Familial
Personal

Combined with varying narrative sources (selected according to alignment with vMeme or symbolic level, or, spontaneously) this creates a symbolic library (but not an actual psychocartography map). This matrix creates an interesting quadration:

Primeval (3.1 x archetypal(species))
Individual (4.1 x personal)

and

Potential (4.1 x archetypal(species))
Fundamental (3.1 x personal))

Will continue to update as I research this.

LoneBear
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by LoneBear » Sun May 03, 2009 12:34 am

Alluvion wrote:Archetypal (Species)
Ancestral (Racial)
Cultural/Historical
Familial
Personal
Race and culture tend to go hand-in-hand, whereas societies are "melting pots" of races and cultures. Might want to flip that around.

Alluvion
Legatus Legionis
Legatus Legionis

Post by Alluvion » Sun May 03, 2009 9:24 am

I see more relationships between society/culture than race/culture. Actually I have a lot of confusion about how these things are distinct, they seem to interpenetrate continually when examined. I'll put some time in on these classifications.