Religion and Spirituality

Discussion of Science Fiction motifs, symbols and allegory.
polonious21
Cognitor
Cognitor

Religion and Spirituality

Post by polonious21 » Tue May 26, 2009 10:11 am

I don't really know if this fits into the Psi-Phi forum but I really didn't know where else to put it.
I find that it is very difficult for people (me included) to harmonize religion and spirituality.
I would describe myself as a very spiritual person. I deal with energies a lot and spiritual relationships between people. I am more than willing to look outside the box for the answers to my spiritual turmoils and I love to tap into my own energies in my life for guidance and happiness.
And I would describe myself as a religious person. I attend to my particular religious obligations and ceremonies and I believe in the doctrine.
So my delema is this. I don't know how to commit myself fully to both. Sometimes it is difficult to find the spiritual energies in religious practices I do everyday. On the other hand I want to be true to my faith and not pull myself too far away from it's core while I'm off on my spiritual adventures.
I would like to explore both parts of myself. I am wise enough to know I don't know much and I don't presume to have the answers.
I would hate to lose either part of me.

So I don't know if this is so much a question as it is a reflection of a personal itch. Anybody gonna scratch?
To love is Divine

Arcelius
Atriensis
Atriensis

Re: Religion and Spirituality

Post by Arcelius » Tue May 26, 2009 5:28 pm

You could ask Lonebear for a "Paths of the Ancients" forum. That would be a good place for posts such as this one.

For myself, through my spiritual adventures, I lost my faith in my religion. I was unable to commit myself to both and religion lost. I was unable to fit the truths that I was discovering spiritually with the dogma of the religion. This took place over a period of time and each step away from my religion did bring some pain. On the other hand, I found that I was more than compensated for my loss through the increase of spiritually. Did I lose a part of me? Yes, I did. For myself, the sacrifice was worth it. I do not think that I will ever be able to return to any religion. If you do find a way that includes both, I would be interested in hearing about it (if you are inclined to share).